2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

I talked to support today about some stuff. The guy encouraged me to use the "Send Feedback" function in the app, because apparently the unit will include session data when this is done, which they can show the engineers. Nice guy and perfectly willing to chat on the phone, but I totally get it as I am in a client facing role for a software company, and getting anything in front of an engineer is an accomplishment.

Anyone who has concerns over LA, club head speed, spin rates, etc should do this. Hopefully they have a dedicated team working on the Mevo and we can expect regular app and firmware updates. They certainly have the data and experience from the big boy units they sell.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

Mevo vs ES14... Thoughts?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Next time you go to the driving range, Take a text book and prop it up 12" in front of the ball and to the right. Now imagine the text book is your $500 laptop and take some full rips at a ball. This is the swing thought I had while using the ES14 and very distracting. If you cant afford a Mevo, the ES12 isn't a bad option just for getting some generic distances based off of ball speed.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Next time you go to the driving range, Take a text book and prop it up 12" in front of the ball and to the right. Now imagine the text book is your $500 laptop and take some full rips at a ball. This is the swing thought I had while using the ES14 and very distracting. If you cant afford a Mevo, the ES12 isn't a bad option just for getting some generic distances based off of ball speed.

I had the ES12 before the Mevo, and thank god there was a display on the unit itself, because the software for iPhone was a joke.

ES14 clearly states that it *calculates* launch and spin. Mevo clearly states it *measures* launch and sipn. I would love to know how far Mevo is able to watch the ball for. I would be surprised if it is more than 10ft or something. So it is measuring spin for some period of time and then doing math from there. Support guy I talked to alluded to getting the best spin numbers indoors. I generally believe the Mevo spin numbers, but I do have some questions around driver spin.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

I had the ES12 before the Mevo, and thank god there was a display on the unit itself, because the software for iPhone was a joke.

ES14 clearly states that it *calculates* launch and spin. Mevo clearly states it *measures* launch and sipn. I would love to know how far Mevo is able to watch the ball for. I would be surprised if it is more than 10ft or something. So it is measuring spin for some period of time and then doing math from there. Support guy I talked to alluded to getting the best spin numbers indoors. I generally believe the Mevo spin numbers, but I do have some questions around driver spin.

I believe MEVO tracks up to 80 feet of flight in outdoor mode.

Anyone want to share opinions to defend or oppose the huge variance in launch angles reported by MGS on Mevo vs. GC2. Speed, Smash and Spin rates (with dot) seem more than acceptable from Mevo but those really high launch angles are a little uncomfortable.

My guess: MEVO needs to be set at least four feet behind the ball, and most mats aren't that long. Putting MEVO on the ground behind a mat will create artificially high launch angles. Also, with driver, MEVO probably needs to be elevated to handle teed balls, especially higher tees for deep-faced drivers.

IMO, the sheer size of the unit compared to larger units, makes it more sensitive to correct measurement of launch angle. Given this, Flightscope needs to do a better job of emphasizing appropriate height relative to ball placement.

Anyone want to share opinions to defend or oppose the huge variance in launch angles reported by MGS on Mevo vs. GC2. Speed, Smash and Spin rates (with dot) seem more than acceptable from Mevo but those really high launch angles are a little uncomfortable.

I think this goes back to my idea that the Mevo needs an option in the app to zero out the unit before using it. That way there is nodoubt if you have the Mevo setup level or not. The review seemed pretty good to me and the deviations were pretty close.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I think this goes back to my idea that the Mevo needs an option in the app to zero out the unit before using it. That way there is nodoubt if you have the Mevo setup level or not. The review seemed pretty good to me and the deviations were pretty close.

I agree, it was a very comprehensive and informative review. Def easier than reading this whole thread! Ha

So would you say that the launch angles seem out of touch with your own extensive experience using the mevo?

I agree, it was a very comprehensive and informative review. Def easier than reading this whole thread! Ha

So would you say that the launch angles seem out of touch with your own extensive experience using the mevo?

What I do with mine is try to remember my launch angle limits. Say with a 7 iron if I'm launching the ball higher then 22* then I know I'm either casting or not getting my hands far enough ahead in the swing. I had a instructor when I was doing the USGTF stuff tell me its about trying to launch your irons through a down range window. It might of been 3-4* difference between your low shot vs your high shot I don't really remember but the point is pretty clear. I think the people who are chasing the exact numbers are the ones who fail to miss their shots on the correct side of the fairway or green. You hear the pros talk all the time about a good miss. What the Mevo has taught me about my game is my course management. Normal 7 iron is 160, Flushed 7 iron 165-168, Word not allowed 7 iron 150-155. So when I have an approach shot with a carry of 150 over water I don't dare reach for my 8cb because my flush shot goes 155, I go for the 7 and side with the odds that I will not execute a perfect shot. My past 2 Mevo sessions were night and day with my launch angles and distance. It seemed I had a power leak going in my swing and it took about 20 swings to figure out my left hand grip was weak. If I strengthened it my LA came down and distance went up but I was hooking the ball. I spent the next 20 shots trying to get my right hand grip figured out until I was hitting the ball straight and was hitting my numbers. For me my 7 iron is Ball Speed 114, LA 22 Distance 164.5 with my CB's. If your intent on using the Mevo to fit new clubs, It will give you a general idea whats going on but you really need to see the ball flight. I had one session into the net where I was hitting 170 yards with a 16* launch and was like YEAH! I'm smoking the ball. I dropped the net and hit a few balls into the woods with a 30 yard draw and was like "Nope" that was all kind of wrong. I would just use it as a tool when your at the range so you know what swing fixes work and don't work. When I reach that point in my range session I put the Mevo away and start using the Bushnell Laser and start aiming for objects on the range and focus on feel and can tell when I miss my trajectory window cause I have visually engrained what a good shot and bad shot looks like.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

What I do with mine is try to remember my launch angle limits. Say with a 7 iron if I'm launching the ball higher then 22* then I know I'm either casting or not getting my hands far enough ahead in the swing. I had a instructor when I was doing the USGTF stuff tell me its about trying to launch your irons through a down range window. It might of been 3-4* difference between your low shot vs your high shot I don't really remember but the point is pretty clear. I think the people who are chasing the exact numbers are the ones who fail to miss their shots on the correct side of the fairway or green. You hear the pros talk all the time about a good miss. What the Mevo has taught me about my game is my course management. Normal 7 iron is 160, Flushed 7 iron 165-168, Word not allowed 7 iron 150-155. So when I have an approach shot with a carry of 150 over water I don't dare reach for my 8cb because my flush shot goes 155, I go for the 7 and side with the odds that I will not execute a perfect shot. My past 2 Mevo sessions were night and day with my launch angles and distance. It seemed I had a power leak going in my swing and it took about 20 swings to figure out my left hand grip was weak. If I strengthened it my LA came down and distance went up but I was hooking the ball. I spent the next 20 shots trying to get my right hand grip figured out until I was hitting the ball straight and was hitting my numbers. For me my 7 iron is Ball Speed 114, LA 22 Distance 164.5 with my CB's. If your intent on using the Mevo to fit new clubs, It will give you a general idea whats going on but you really need to see the ball flight. I had one session into the net where I was hitting 170 yards with a 16* launch and was like YEAH! I'm smoking the ball. I dropped the net and hit a few balls into the woods with a 30 yard draw and was like "Nope" that was all kind of wrong. I would just use it as a tool when your at the range so you know what swing fixes work and don't work. When I reach that point in my range session I put the Mevo away and start using the Bushnell Laser and start aiming for objects on the range and focus on feel and can tell when I miss my trajectory window cause I have visually engrained what a good shot and bad shot looks like.

That's good info but I guess what I was directly asking for was your opinion regarding whether or not the Mevo reads significantly higher than actual launch angle like the MGS article seems to suggest?

That's good info but I guess what I was directly asking for was your opinion regarding whether or not the Mevo reads significantly higher than actual launch angle like the MGS article seems to suggest?

Short answer is YES I think the Mevo reads high but not exactly sure. 3* maybe on average, I don't really know. The root problem is that you don't know what "zeroed out is". It seems pretty consistent now on its readings with 1.8 firmware.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I really liked the mevo, but ended up selling only because I just don't practice much lately. I still need to list my pelican cases, I have two of them that will need a new home soon...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I really liked the mevo, but ended up selling only because I just don't practice much lately. I still need to list my pelican cases, I have two of them that will need a new home soon...

I got the green light from the wife to sell the Mevo for a Skytrak in Feb when I get my yearly bonus. The deal would be that I can not play in my golf league next year which runs about 5 months and roughly the same price as a Skytrak. I have had numerous buddies say they would come over and drink beer and sit in lawn chairs in my driveway and play sim golf if I buy the Skytrak. I currently only play once a week with very little practice now. I almost think I would play more golf by owning a Skytrak. I already have a CCE Mat, Net, Projector, 40" Flat screen that I could drag out, Lawn chairs, Beer fridge and a 15' CCE Quick and True putting green.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

MGS answer to a question in the comment section regarding setup of the mevo:

TONY COVEY 4 HOURS AGO

I didn’t take pics of the setup, but I’m happy to give you the details.

First, I’m not sure how you can make an assumption that mats moved based on a single still photo, but to assuage your concerns I can tell you that orientation was checked after each 5 shot sequence. As you may be aware, the GC2 has a relatively limited hitting area (roughly 6″x6″) and given that our portable Real Feel golf mats don’t provide an excessive amount of extra space for adjusting stance, had the mats moved by any significant margin, we would have had to move the GC2 (which we didn’t). I’d also add, as a matter of practicality, any launch monitor that can’t read shots based on small changes in ball position would be basically worthless.

To provide the best surface possible for testing, instead of using the driving range (which tends to get beat up a bit), we did our testing on the level ground of one of the tee boxes at McGregor Links. To prevent damage to the teeing ground as well as to eliminate any potential issues related to divot obfuscation, we used the mats. We then used a block to bring the Mevo level with the hitting surface.

Indoors – as noted in a previous comment – the Mevo was placed on level ground and the height of the hitting surface. As I mentioned in that previous comment, we did some experimentation with Mevo hight (placing both above and below the level of the hitting surface) but didn’t find any significant difference.

In both cases, the Mevo was positioned approximately 4’6″ from the ball. I do wonder if moving the Mevo farther back would have resulted in different numbers, but I would have two concerns with that line of thinking.

1 – The stated minimum distance is 4′. If it doesn’t work properly at 4′, then the minimum distance isn’t actually the minimum usable distance.

2 – When you consider use case scenarios, one of the big ones is public driving range with some form of hitting stall/bay. If you have to position the Mevo much beyond 4′, it’s now in what is effectively a public traffic lane, which is less than ideal.

Finally, I should mention that after our initial round of testing I shared some of the anomalous/less than ideal findings with Flightscope. We discussed setup, use of dots, etc.. They confirmed that what I was seeing is a known issue with some Mevo devices, so we held off on testing until we received the latest firmware update. That update most definitely improved performance, but the launch angle measurements, while improved, remain an issue.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

MGS answer to a question in the comment section regarding setup of the mevo:

TONY COVEY 4 HOURS AGO

I didn’t take pics of the setup, but I’m happy to give you the details.

First, I’m not sure how you can make an assumption that mats moved based on a single still photo, but to assuage your concerns I can tell you that orientation was checked after each 5 shot sequence. As you may be aware, the GC2 has a relatively limited hitting area (roughly 6″x6″) and given that our portable Real Feel golf mats don’t provide an excessive amount of extra space for adjusting stance, had the mats moved by any significant margin, we would have had to move the GC2 (which we didn’t). I’d also add, as a matter of practicality, any launch monitor that can’t read shots based on small changes in ball position would be basically worthless.

To provide the best surface possible for testing, instead of using the driving range (which tends to get beat up a bit), we did our testing on the level ground of one of the tee boxes at McGregor Links. To prevent damage to the teeing ground as well as to eliminate any potential issues related to divot obfuscation, we used the mats. We then used a block to bring the Mevo level with the hitting surface.

Indoors – as noted in a previous comment – the Mevo was placed on level ground and the height of the hitting surface. As I mentioned in that previous comment, we did some experimentation with Mevo hight (placing both above and below the level of the hitting surface) but didn’t find any significant difference.

In both cases, the Mevo was positioned approximately 4’6″ from the ball. I do wonder if moving the Mevo farther back would have resulted in different numbers, but I would have two concerns with that line of thinking.

1 – The stated minimum distance is 4′. If it doesn’t work properly at 4′, then the minimum distance isn’t actually the minimum usable distance.

2 – When you consider use case scenarios, one of the big ones is public driving range with some form of hitting stall/bay. If you have to position the Mevo much beyond 4′, it’s now in what is effectively a public traffic lane, which is less than ideal.

Finally, I should mention that after our initial round of testing I shared some of the anomalous/less than ideal findings with Flightscope. We discussed setup, use of dots, etc.. They confirmed that what I was seeing is a known issue with some Mevo devices, so we held off on testing until we received the latest firmware update. That update most definitely improved performance, but the launch angle measurements, while improved, remain an issue.

I know there are plenty of mixed opinions on this site but I've always specifically appreciated Tony's willingness to address most questions thoroughly and within a timely manner. I also like that he's not shy to make people look stupid when they clearly deserve it. He's a class act in my book.

I think his review was fine. Some of the GC2 numbers seem odd but so do some of the Mevo's. I think we are all stuck at that price/performance ratio. I'm sure there are a lot of Trackman and GC2 owners who can say that they are unhappy with the price they paid but that's what they are charging. I personally couldn't justify $10k on a launch monitor but it isn't in my budget. $500 is still a good chunk of change when it comes to golf gear when your dealing with a piece of equipment that isn't directly related to you going out and playing the game directly. For me its almost a $500 novelty item. I feel my $400 range finder is way more beneficial to my game vs the Mevo. Hopefully the 2018 PGA show will bring some more competition to the sub $2k launch monitor segment but it seems like its Skytrak or nothing for the time being.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I think his review was fine. Some of the GC2 numbers seem odd but so do some of the Mevo's. I think we are all stuck at that price/performance ratio. I'm sure there are a lot of Trackman and GC2 owners who can say that they are unhappy with the price they paid but that's what they are charging. I personally couldn't justify $10k on a launch monitor but it isn't in my budget. $500 is still a good chunk of change when it comes to golf gear when your dealing with a piece of equipment that isn't directly related to you going out and playing the game directly. For me its almost a $500 novelty item. I feel my $400 range finder is way more beneficial to my game vs the Mevo. Hopefully the 2018 PGA show will bring some more competition to the sub $2k launch monitor segment but it seems like its Skytrak or nothing for the time being.

The funny thing is, Flightscope showed the Mevo at CES and there no mention of it at the PGA show. It was weird. I'll let you guys know if I see anything again at CES, lol.

I got the green light from the wife to sell the Mevo for a Skytrak in Feb when I get my yearly bonus.

Dude that's awesome! I can't wait to hear your reviews. I use mine daily and plan to hit balls right through the winter (outside) with my SkyTrak. It's a huge upgrade over Mevo (and I loved Mevo).

Mevo support indicated to me a new firmware version coming in 30-45 days.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

I've accomplished everything I set out to do with the Mevo. Mine is on BST now.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

I've accomplished everything I set out to do with the Mevo. Mine is on BST now.

I'm interested... PM sent.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Sold mine yesterday. Ended up purchasing a new set of AP2's and my son needed a new baseball bat for the new 2018 USA rules. I did like the Mevo and it was getting better with every firmware release. Next up is the Skytrak.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The funny thing is, Flightscope showed the Mevo at CES and there no mention of it at the PGA show. It was weird. I'll let you guys know if I see anything again at CES, lol.

Is there much of a golf showing at CES? I don't remember ever seeing much of anything reported from CES in the past. It would be cool if GolfWRX could send someone to CES to write a blog post about the new tech. CES always happens early in January. Could be an exciting sneak peek for the year ahead.

Is there much of a golf showing at CES? I don't remember ever seeing much of anything reported from CES in the past. It would be cool if GolfWRX could send someone to CES to write a blog post about the new tech. CES always happens early in January. Could be an exciting sneak peek for the year ahead.

Not really much at CES. Since sports tech is a growing market, there is a large area in one hall sort of dedicated to it now. But it's mostly your activity trackers and stuff like that. There were a few vendors last year with some golf related products but they weren't golf specific booths or brands. I was very excited to see Flightscope with a very small booth last year. They were there ONLY pitching Mevo and actually it was pitched for both golf and baseball. I was astonished a few weeks later when I was at the PGA show and they weren't representing the Mevo at all in their booth 20x the size of their CES booth. I had to ask them about it specifically at the PGA show. I believe I was sort of the first one around here to know about the Mevo and I posted what I knew. I'll be sure to let you guys know if I see anything cool again at CES in January '18 again.

Very tempted to splurge on this. It would be worth more than I'd spent on my entire bag combined. But in terms of what it could tell me about yardages, it's very exciting. Just need to come to terms with the fact that buying at full retail value in a space where competition is only going to grow in the next couple of years could be pissing money away.