New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Hello everyone,

It is going to be tough for us to respond to every past question/concern in this thread but just wanted to let everyone know that we are now active on Golf WRX Forums and can answer any questions that you might have.

Let us know!

Two questions.

1. Do you plan to come out with a Windows 10 app for the Mevo so it can be used with a Microsoft Surface?

2. Since the Flightscope Xi is no longer available, do you plan to come out with something that is between the Mevo and Xi+ that includes side spin and track direction along with height?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Looking for some help from other users. I had a range session yesterday with the driver where I was really hitting the ball well. Over 33 shots I got avg CHS: 109, BS: 150, Smash: 1.38, and Carry: 255.

I've been suspect of the swing speed number as it has always seemed quite high by about 4mph. Its been difficult to be conclusive because my strike location has been poor. However yesterday I was making consistent contact near the vertical center on the toe side consistently. My best strikes and longest carry still do not yield a smash greater than 1.43 or ball speed higher than 156. Shouldn't a 109 avg swing with decent strike location transmit better ball speed? Long carry of 273 and a couple in the 260s but most near the avg.

I've never been a particularly fast swinger typically 97-100mph but this past winter I've been practicing 3-4 times a week (vs 1 per month in the past) and have grooved a more efficient inside-out path vs my prior overswing out to in. So I expect to see some improvement in CHS but based on the ball speed numbers I see on good strikes it seems like my actual speed should be more like 101-105.

I've not heard too many folks experiencing accuracy issues on the measured parameters on Mevo, but wanted to open this question to your feedback. Does something seem a little off in the numbers? Driver is a Ping G400 9.5* and 10* alternating between Ping Tour 65 Regular and HZRDUS T800 Stiff.

Thanks

Looking for some help from other users. I had a range session yesterday with the driver where I was really hitting the ball well. Over 33 shots I got avg CHS: 109, BS: 150, Smash: 1.38, and Carry: 255.

I've been suspect of the swing speed number as it has always seemed quite high by about 4mph. Its been difficult to be conclusive because my strike location has been poor. However yesterday I was making consistent contact near the vertical center on the toe side consistently. My best strikes and longest carry still do not yield a smash greater than 1.43 or ball speed higher than 156. Shouldn't a 109 avg swing with decent strike location transmit better ball speed? Long carry of 273 and a couple in the 260s but most near the avg.

I've never been a particularly fast swinger typically 97-100mph but this past winter I've been practicing 3-4 times a week (vs 1 per month in the past) and have grooved a more efficient inside-out path vs my prior overswing out to in. So I expect to see some improvement in CHS but based on the ball speed numbers I see on good strikes it seems like my actual speed should be more like 101-105.

I've not heard too many folks experiencing accuracy issues on the measured parameters on Mevo, but wanted to open this question to your feedback. Does something seem a little off in the numbers? Driver is a Ping G400 9.5* and 10* alternating between Ping Tour 65 Regular and HZRDUS T800 Stiff.

Thanks

I cannot get a decent smash factor on my mevo at the range and I think part of the reason is the range balls. I saw a video on youtube where they saw up to an 8 to 10 mph ball speed decrease with range balls vs a premium ball

Thanks

Probably a combination of range balls + overstated clubhead speed. Radar based tech isn't great at measuring driver clubhead speed due to the various head designs out there.

I'd always trust ball speed over clubhead speed. Not to mention a true 1.38 smash could not be confused with a decent strike.

Limited flight range balls can easily cause the ball speed to drop to the point where the smash factor 'looks' horrible. A 10% reduction in ball speed can turn a 1.50 smash factor impact into a 1.35 on the radar. A 20% will turn it into a 1.2 smash.

The club head speeds are always accurate (Doppler radar velocity measurements are going to be more accurate than image based systems), it's just a question of where on the club the speed measurement was taken from. So there can be some inconsistency between different units. But it's hard to say which unit is more accurate when there is no real standard for where that speed should be measured.

Thanks everyone for your input. My range uses full flight range balls which were pretty new at the time of testing. Interestingly I did hit one non-range ball and I went back and looked up that shot which was very good contact and it was the one shot where the smash was greater than 1.43.

So it appears that the issue I'm facing is due to a combination of budget range balls and over-stated swing speed. That lone shot registered a SS of 109 and ball speed of 157 for 260 carry. Seems to me that a well struck ball at 109mph would generate ball speed in the 160s and and a little more carry. I've suspected by the SS on my Mevo is overstated by 4-5mph. I had a few swings up there at 114 which seems very high based on my distances and ball speed. Longest carry was 273 and a small handful in the 260s. Ball speed never reached 160

Ordered yesterday. Really just intend to use it out on the course as I play tons of solo golf during the week in the evenings. Have a friend with a dedicated setup using skytrack which is a lot of fun to use with TGC, but I think something like the mevo will be better for what I want out of a device. All the SW updates and mostly favorable posts here have me excited to get it out on the course.

With my driver I can only get a smash of 1.5 or close to if I swing slowly. It's strange but mevo seems to double each mph over 100 and ding me on the smash. My iron SS are accurate but it seems a little optimistic at higher speeds. In other words, my 100mph swing reads 100 but my 105mph swing reads 110. If I really go after one I get to 115. Could be improvements in my swing but I've never swung faster than 107 on any other device.

I might be the only guy on wrx who thinks they swing slower then they're told!

for GC Quad it's closer to 1.45.

That's pretty bad. Were did you get that from?

And for Trackman it's been dependent on impact position. Although that may change with the newer impact location detection functionality they are coming out with.

I've been watching a lot of the TXG Youtube videos, they use GC Quad is pretty much all of their videos. If you watch the videos with drivers, smash factor is usually 1.40-1.43 and they say that club head speed numbers on the GC Quad read a little higher than it would on trackman which explains the discrepancy in smash. There's been talk for a while that trackman slighly under reports club head speed based on where it's measuring it from, which is why sometimes you see smash factors of 1.51 or 1.52.

I've been seeing low smash factors with my mevo but I'm also hitting range balls with it which I know can lower ball speed and therefor smash

And for Trackman it's been dependent on impact position. Although that may change with the newer impact location detection functionality they are coming out with.

I've been watching a lot of the TXG Youtube videos, they use GC Quad is pretty much all of their videos. If you watch the videos with drivers, smash factor is usually 1.40-1.43 and they say that club head speed numbers on the GC Quad read a little higher than it would on trackman which explains the discrepancy in smash. There's been talk for a while that trackman slighly under reports club head speed based on where it's measuring it from, which is why sometimes you see smash factors of 1.51 or 1.52.

I've been seeing low smash factors with my mevo but I'm also hitting range balls which I know can lower ball speed and therefor smash

I've been seeing low smash factors with my mevo but I'm also hitting range balls with it which I know can lower ball speed and therefor smash

Well, the higher resolution of the newer equipment certainly has made the concept of 'club head speed' and even the smash factor a lot more complicated or fuzzy then it ever used to be. TM has always been clear about using the geometric center of the club to make the measurement - which is why Smash can be reported as high when the impact location is outside that geometric center (when the speed of the club at the impact position will higher then at the geometric center).

Unfortunately I haven't seen similar details from either Foresight or Flightscope so it's hard to make any relative judgements. There certainly is no clear "right" or "wrong" (consistency is really more important). But if smash is generally lower for Foresight, it might be measuring further out on the toe (probably related to where the dots are placed on the face).

Ideally (in my mind at least), one would want two separate club head speeds measured. The club head speed that's directly reported should be independent of the impact location but the club head speed used for the smash factor should be dependent on the impact location.

In general you have to hit it real crappy with driver to get anything under about 1.42 smash. Unless you basically whiff it, you see anything under that and your either hitting a real bad ball, or your clubhead speed is being overstated.

Are you saying that your experience with Mevo is only the worst hits register less than 1.42 or do you mean in the real world with actual swing and ball speeds?

In general you have to hit it real crappy with driver to get anything under about 1.42 smash. Unless you basically whiff it, you see anything under that and your either hitting a real bad ball, or your clubhead speed is being overstated.

Are you saying that your experience with Mevo is only the worst hits register less than 1.42 or do you mean in the real world with actual swing and ball speeds?

Real world.

We did it back in 2014 with the Xi, we now did it again in 2018! The FlightScope mevo has officially won a Gold Stevie Award for "Best New Consumer Product". Watch this space for more photos/info. In the meantime please go vote here for the mevo in the "People's Choice Stevie Awards." Voting is open until June 1st. Make sure to click on the "Consumer Products" category!

Check out what others had to say about mevo:

• 3 weeks later...

What a win for our guy, Bryson DeChambeau! Congrats to him on a great week. We've worked many hours with him over the years and are so happy and proud to have him on #TeamFlightScope. The hard work and dedication is paying off. Keep it rolling this summer! #FlightScopeNumbers

Submit your questions below on how Bryson uses the FlightScope technology to improve his game!

Mine just had some of the guts fall out so it will no longer power on which was a bit odd. I have seen charging parts fall out of devices but this was where the power on switch is. I sent a note to Mevo customer service since they have a one year warranty but looks like i am just outside the cutoff. I guess we will see what happens here.

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in

• 4 weeks later...