2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Are YOU serious about your game? Take it from Bryson DeChambeau: order your FlightScope Mevo today to start practicing with a purpose. #FlightScopeNumbers

Watch now to use his promo code: https://www.facebook...629059827513664

How about launch angle and spin for us Xi owners, for the same discounted price as a Mevo?

• 3 weeks later...

Went through most of the pages. I am interested in getting one to try out. Anyone looking to sell their old unit?

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana A'hina 70 stiff
Callaway XR 3 wood 15* - Project X LZ 50 stiff (stock shaft)
Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrid Tour 18.5 (set to 19*) - Rocketfuel 80 Stiff (stock shaft)
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4 Hybrid 23* - Aldila Tour Green Stiff (stock shaft)
Mizuno MP25 5-PW - NS950 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 52/56/60 - Stock Wedge Shaft
Odyssey O-Works Red 1WS with Iomic Grip
Taylormade TP5x

Post in the Classifieds, WTB. Someone will hit you up within a day, I am sure.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was able to post in there since I have less than 75 posts (been reading mostly about the driver shaft threads), but it seems like I was able to create the post. I figured it as much since once you dial in your clubs in terms of the distance, the Mevo may not be as useful on a regular basis. I am hoping to use it like others have mentioned in here to really sharpen up my short game, as my local driving range only has 100 yard and 75 yards for the shorter distance flags.

Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrid Tour 18.5 (set to 19*) - Rocketfuel 80 Stiff (stock shaft)
Taylormade TP5x

Did we ever get confirmation that the metallic markers will work in place of the dots/stickers?

Will metallic marker work?

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I believe in their FAQ, they have stated it does not work like the dot stickers.

Here’s the paste from FAQ.

Can metallic sharpies be used instead of stickers?

Not currently, but we are working on additional solutions that will make this possible in the near future.

Taylormade TP5x

I believe in their FAQ, they have stated it does not work like the dot stickers.

Here’s the paste from FAQ.

Can metallic sharpies be used instead of stickers?

Not currently, but we are working on additional solutions that will make this possible in the near future.

Unfortunately, it has been saying this for like....over a year, probably since release. I doubt it will ever be supported.

I honestly havent even used the stickers. I might try them tomorrow at the golf dome when I go and compare my numbers from last week.

I like golf. A lot.

I got my Mevo and took it to the driving range this weekend and had two different drastic sessions, I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. I guess one of the reason that can explain the poor result from first session is maybe because of the flourescent lights above where the balls were placed in the range. The second session was daytime and a different range, but I think the balls are roughly similar??

The first session was in the evening, at Springrock Driving Range in Long Island NY. Mevo literally was only able to sense about 4-5 shots out of 170 range balls (using GW, 9I, 6I, 3W), and all of them are partial reads (either only launch angle, or spin or club speed) and never more than 2-3 fields. But the strange part was when I used real golf balls with and without the dots, Mevo picked up all but 1 of the shots. I varied the distance from as short as 4ft to 6'1"-6'3". It was quite disappointing.

I went out again next day, at a different driving range Alley Pond Driving Range in Queens, NY. This time the experience was completely the opposite. Out of 80 range balls, it only missed about 4-5 shots. I put the Mevo 6'7" behind the ball spot (2 meter). The distances for 7I (~160y) and 4Hybrid (~200y), 3W (230y) and driver (~250y) were all quite accurate. SW was consistently short (~74y carry vs actual of 85-90y). I did not try moving the Mevo closer than the 6'7" b/c it was recording properly.

I would love to hear if any other Mevo users have similar experience or can help me understand why the first session result was so poor.

And like many have said, the box worked perfectly to adjust the Mevo to the range mat height!

Taylormade TP5x

I got my Mevo and took it to the driving range this weekend and had two different drastic sessions, I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. I guess one of the reason that can explain the poor result from first session is maybe because of the flourescent lights above where the balls were placed in the range. The second session was daytime and a different range, but I think the balls are roughly similar??

The first session was in the evening, at Springrock Driving Range in Long Island NY. Mevo literally was only able to sense about 4-5 shots out of 170 range balls (using GW, 9I, 6I, 3W), and all of them are partial reads (either only launch angle, or spin or club speed) and never more than 2-3 fields. But the strange part was when I used real golf balls with and without the dots, Mevo picked up all but 1 of the shots. I varied the distance from as short as 4ft to 6'1"-6'3". It was quite disappointing.

I went out again next day, at a different driving range Alley Pond Driving Range in Queens, NY. This time the experience was completely the opposite. Out of 80 range balls, it only missed about 4-5 shots. I put the Mevo 6'7" behind the ball spot (2 meter). The distances for 7I (~160y) and 4Hybrid (~200y), 3W (230y) and driver (~250y) were all quite accurate. SW was consistently short (~74y carry vs actual of 85-90y). I did not try moving the Mevo closer than the 6'7" b/c it was recording properly.

I would love to hear if any other Mevo users have similar experience or can help me understand why the first session result was so poor.

And like many have said, the box worked perfectly to adjust the Mevo to the range mat height!

I only ever get partial reads on really bad mishits or an awful ball, like with a cut in it or something.

The range I go to is just the range at my local 9 hole course. Barely maintained, nobody is ever there and I use my own balls and go out to the range and pick them up so I dont have to spend money on their Word not allowed quality balls (they dont mind that I do this). I occasionally go out to pick up the balls and obviously dont always get the exact same balls that I brought, so I will have the occasional terrible quality ball in my shag bag and those give me terrible readings 99% of the time. Maybe the first range had awful balls? Or even limited flight balls? The part about the lights, it could be...I am not sure about that one, someone else will have to chime in.

I like golf. A lot.

First, make sure you are using the latest version of the app.

Second, make sure you position MEVO so the notch on top of the unit is directly behind your ball.

Third, I would try to place the unit four feet or five feet behind your impact area.

I think (but could not prove) this would allow the longest possible measurement time for launch angle and spin.

Which could be why you lost accuracy with SW at two meters (aside from spin measure).

Also, go into settings to calibrate "distance to tee" to match your actual setup.

(e.g. If your unit is five feet behind the ball, your distance to tee should be set to 5 feet.)

If you move MEVO, adjust the setting accordingly.

While in settings, while at the range, adjust your venue to "outdoor" mode.

And, while in settings, take a look around to make sure your altitude is roughly accurate.

Don't bother with dots. Just align the seam of the ball perpendicular to the target line.

Latest thing I learned: When using driver, change club selection to driver. But, don't try to elevate the unit.

I learned from one of the YT reviews of MEVO that Flightscope says it adjusts for tee height automatically.

I just took my MEVO to our indoor simulator place a couple of weeks ago. It really compared well.

Our sims are really top-notch and there was almost always a reasonable variance between MEVO and sim (except when the sim missed the spin read)...

I could see where fluorescent lights could play havoc with range balls where markings are "washed out" but then your gamer balls would read just fine.

Again, make sure if your ball has a seam, place it perpendicular to the target line (in other words, the seam would "point" toward you / away from you at address).

I could see where fluorescent lights could play havoc with range balls where markings are "washed out" but then your gamer balls would read just fine.

Again, make sure if your ball has a seam, place it perpendicular to the target line (in other words, the seam would "point" toward you / away from you at address).

Games - thank you for responding, I am happy to see someone who's contributed to this thread extensively still following it :)

I am fairly certain I am on the latest version (iPhone - 1.3.40, AVR 0.09, DSP 1.09). The firmware updated itself a couple of times (probably didn't take the first try).

The unit is directly behind the ball and distance is adjusted based on the distance used and set to indoor and outdoor depending on usage location. I also move the Mevo when I put it on the tee on the mat (I use the inside hole or the edge of mat and the fluffy stuff that's aligned to the hole) and measure exact distance from there to the Mevo (drew measurements on both of my alignment sticks w/sharpie and then taped over it so it won't wear off).

The strange thing is on non-range balls, even when it's an old ball, the machine read it properly during the evening session. Next time I will try to go to the evening range during the day time and see if the Mevo will work properly. I'll also take one or two of those balls and try it out on the other range to see if it's the ball. I doubt it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Lastly, thank you for reminding me about the seam, I recall reading it but totally forgot about it. Now I think about it, that makes a lot of sense since it will more likely bounce the radar differently and allows the Mevo to read rotations better.

Taylormade TP5x

It's not the actual light, its potential interference from the lights themselves.

Environmental Requirements

Please ensure that there are no obstructions between the FlightScope sensor and the tee. Ideally, fluorescent lights should be avoided; incandescent, halogen or sodium lights are acceptable. If the location has fluorescent lights, aluminium insect screens available from any hardware store (Lowe's or The Home Depot) can be used to shade the lights.

Games - thank you for responding, I am happy to see someone who's contributed to this thread extensively still following it :)

I am fairly certain I am on the latest version (iPhone - 1.3.40, AVR 0.09, DSP 1.09). The firmware updated itself a couple of times (probably didn't take the first try).

The unit is directly behind the ball and distance is adjusted based on the distance used and set to indoor and outdoor depending on usage location. I also move the Mevo when I put it on the tee on the mat (I use the inside hole or the edge of mat and the fluffy stuff that's aligned to the hole) and measure exact distance from there to the Mevo (drew measurements on both of my alignment sticks w/sharpie and then taped over it so it won't wear off).

The strange thing is on non-range balls, even when it's an old ball, the machine read it properly during the evening session. Next time I will try to go to the evening range during the day time and see if the Mevo will work properly. I'll also take one or two of those balls and try it out on the other range to see if it's the ball. I doubt it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Lastly, thank you for reminding me about the seam, I recall reading it but totally forgot about it. Now I think about it, that makes a lot of sense since it will more likely bounce the radar differently and allows the Mevo to read rotations better.

You're welcome! I love the MEVO and it's really accurate for what it measures. I have the same app version, as you, and I think it's the latest version.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. The only thing I noticed about your last statement was when you said "the unit is behind the ball."

If you set the unit squarely centered behind the ball, that's wrong.

There is actually a notch in the top of MEVO (I think it's maybe an inch off the right side) that is to be aligned behind the ball, kind of like a gun sight. So, the ball should not be aligned with the direct center of the unit.

I did try to get down to look through the rifle scope, and I am quite flexible, but I think you really need to be Spiderman (Villegas) to be able to look through the scope! lol.

I recall reading somewhere either from a Flightscope reply or in their forum that it is okay to have it slightly offset so that the unit is aligned slightly to the right of the ball if you are looking towards your target for a right handed golfer. In either case, I try to align it roughly in-line with the unit and have had no trouble even when I was just eye-balling it when I moved it a few inches to align with the driver tee location.

My brother is actually getting a SkyTrak and I think it would be fun to take both units to a range and do side-by-side comparison. Hopefully we will do that this or next weekend.

Taylormade TP5x

Mevo is amazing. I went to the Dome last week as I don't think we will play for at least next month in Minnesota. All worked ok, and then I downloaded the data from Myflightscope onto Power Bi trying to make sure I could understand what happened. Good swings for me after not swinging for 3 months

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

broessner71 - are you doing the readings indoor or outdoor? I have had trouble with indoor readings when there isn't sufficient space between the ball location and the screen.

I recall reading in some location (went through too many pages of forums and FAQs), that for wedges and shorter clubs, it's better to have the Mevo at 4', and for drivers it's better to have it further back.

Taylormade TP5x

broessner71 - are you doing the readings indoor or outdoor? I have had trouble with indoor readings when there isn't sufficient space between the ball location and the screen.

I recall reading in some location (went through too many pages of forums and FAQs), that for wedges and shorter clubs, it's better to have the Mevo at 4', and for drivers it's better to have it further back.

I have it at 6 ft behind the ball. Indoor only with the mevo. Net is 9ft in front of ball .

I have it at 6 ft behind the ball. Indoor only with the mevo. Net is 9ft in front of ball .

I would try to have the unit at four feet behind the ball. Also, just as important, the unit should be sitting at the same height as the ball. Obviously, not a problem if hitting off grass, but if you're hitting off a mat, and the mat doesn't extend back, you need to elevate the unit. (I use one part of the MEVO box, depending on the thickness of the mat.)

I did try to get down to look through the rifle scope, and I am quite flexible, but I think you really need to be Spiderman (Villegas) to be able to look through the scope! lol.

I recall reading somewhere either from a Flightscope reply or in their forum that it is okay to have it slightly offset so that the unit is aligned slightly to the right of the ball if you are looking towards your target for a right handed golfer. In either case, I try to align it roughly in-line with the unit and have had no trouble even when I was just eye-balling it when I moved it a few inches to align with the driver tee location.

My brother is actually getting a SkyTrak and I think it would be fun to take both units to a range and do side-by-side comparison. Hopefully we will do that this or next weekend.

I have both a mevo and skytrak and did a session using both simultaneously. This was done indoors into a net where the skytrak excels and the mevo numbers on both ball speed and spin were spot on on irons. Launch was usually within a degree and a half as well. Where the mevo fell flat in this environment was with the driver. Ball speed stayed relatively similar but launch and spin were very sporadic. Launch angles were typically off by 2-4 degrees and spin was off many times by 1000-1500 rpms. I’ve been told at higher swing speeds the mevo may be struggling to get enough data before the ball hits the net at around 8-10 feet.

I have both a mevo and skytrak and did a session using both simultaneously. This was done indoors into a net where the skytrak excels and the mevo numbers on both ball speed and spin were spot on on irons. Launch was usually within a degree and a half as well. Where the mevo fell flat in this environment was with the driver. Ball speed stayed relatively similar but launch and spin were very sporadic. Launch angles were typically off by 2-4 degrees and spin was off many times by 1000-1500 rpms. I’ve been told at higher swing speeds the mevo may be struggling to get enough data before the ball hits the net at around 8-10 feet.

I hadn't read the MEVO FAQs in awhile, but your comment triggered a memory and a question in my own mind. While I'm a pretty staunch MEVO advocate, I agree driver with higher swing speeds might be it's one flaw. Thoughts:

1. MEVO FAQs state wedges are best measured with the unit four feet behind the ball, and driver measured with the unit seven feet behind the ball.

2. MEVO FAQs state the unit is to be placed on the ground, level with the ball.

When hitting off a mat, I always make sure the unit is at mat height, setting it on part of the MEVO box.

I always wondered about driver. (I just left a question on the FAQs. We will see if they respond.) A third-party MEVO video review states the unit ADJUSTS launch angle when DRIVER is selected in the app.

If I wanted to "remove all doubt" I would select 2-iron in the app, then elevate the unit to the height of the ball on the tee (using the MEVO box or some other object). I know it's clunky, but given variances in face height and individual tee height preference, I have to believe this would be more accurate than letting the unit choose some arbitrary adjustment (if the unit does this at all).

Yes unit is at same height as mat in reference to your follow up post.

OK, cool. I hadn't been on the MEVO FAQs in awhile and hadn't seen they suggest 4' for wedges and up to 7' for driver.

I hope varying the distance helps you. Make sure to place the seam of the ball so it points at you (perpendicular to the target line). And, if I were dialing in wedges, I would probably use some dots if possible. Finally, reminder that MEVO needs at least eight feet of ball flight which can start to get a little scary if you're trying to hit a 58* or 60* wedge into a net...

OK, cool. I hadn't been on the MEVO FAQs in awhile and hadn't seen they suggest 4' for wedges and up to 7' for driver.

I hope varying the distance helps you. Make sure to place the seam of the ball so it points at you (perpendicular to the target line). And, if I were dialing in wedges, I would probably use some dots if possible. Finally, reminder that MEVO needs at least eight feet of ball flight which can start to get a little scary if you're trying to hit a 58* or 60* wedge into a net...

Excuse my ignorance, but golf balls have visible seems?

I like golf. A lot.

Excuse my ignorance, but golf balls have visible seems?

So it seams

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

You're welcome! I love the MEVO and it's really accurate for what it measures. I have the same app version, as you, and I think it's the latest version.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. The only thing I noticed about your last statement was when you said "the unit is behind the ball."

If you set the unit squarely centered behind the ball, that's wrong.

There is actually a notch in the top of MEVO (I think it's maybe an inch off the right side) that is to be aligned behind the ball, kind of like a gun sight. So, the ball should not be aligned with the direct center of the unit.

Games (or anyone else), one question I have about the gun sight on the Mevo. My understanding too was to set the sight at the ball itself, but it doesn’t seem right when I do it. For example if I’m at an outdoor range hitting off grass, I can’t even open the metal stand legs because it tilts the Mevo back and the sight is lined up downrange/elevated. To get it to line up with the ball, I don’t even open the stand and gently have to “place” the Mevo in an upright or even slightly downward facing position (as the gun sight is taller than the ball). Readings from time to time are very inconsistent, sometimes it doesn’t miss 20 in a row, sometimes it doesn’t register 20 in a row.

Does this make sense to anyone else / has anyone else had this issue aiming the sight at the ball? I guess I could experiment the next time I’m out, but would prefer to get a straight answer here about where to aim the sight. At the ball or somewhere down range (and above the ball).

Thanks!