New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Excuse my ignorance, but golf balls have visible seems?

On newer golf balls, the seams are much less detectable. I think a couple of years ago, Titleist made it so that the seams are virtually not detectable (the seams are usually where they print the alignment lines). If you take a 2013-2015 or so Pro V/Vx 1s you should be able to see the seams.

I think there are some exceptions like Callaway golf balls and more recent TaylorMade TPs (TP5/TP5x) that do not have visible seams because they use the same hexagon shape like a soccer ball (apparently hexagon can cover the surface of the ball much better). I believe Callaway and TM had some lawsuits in the past and the settlement was that they cross-licensed certain technologies. The hexagon shape originally started by Callaway was one of the patents where they agreed to cross-license.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana A'hina 70 stiff
Callaway XR 3 wood 15* - Project X LZ 50 stiff (stock shaft)
Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrid Tour 18.5 (set to 19*) - Rocketfuel 80 Stiff (stock shaft)
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4 Hybrid 23* - Aldila Tour Green Stiff (stock shaft)
Mizuno MP25 5-PW - NS950 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 52/56/60 - Stock Wedge Shaft
Odyssey O-Works Red 1WS with Iomic Grip
Taylormade TP5x

On a side note, I went to the driving range this past weekend during day time and tested the Mevo side by side against a SkyTrak.

This was the first session with the SkyTrak, it was able to detect most of the shots at this driving range (Springrock in Long Island, NY), but unfortunately, I experienced similar issues with the Mevo, where it picked up less than 5 shots out of 300 balls. Again, the Mevo had absolutely no issue picking up non-range balls from here, but when it is the range ball, it was not able to pick up most of the shots, even when I put the sticker on the ball. This was during day time where the fluorescent lights above were not turned on. And it definitely was not the case with the alignment of the Mevo behind the golf balls.

In general, when I used a regular golf ball or when I was at the other range (Alley Pond in Bayside, NY), I can align the Mevo directly behind the golf ball/hitting area. Even when I use the rubber tees (about 2-3 inches to the right of the location directly in front of Mevo sight), Mevo had no trouble picking up the shots.

Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrid Tour 18.5 (set to 19*) - Rocketfuel 80 Stiff (stock shaft)
Taylormade TP5x

At the ball or somewhere down range (and above the ball).

I don't know why they added that darn needle to the sight. I saw it in a review video and I was like "WTF?"

I just stand behind the unit, look down the range, hold my driver out, and check to make sure my notch and the impact spot line up under the driver shaft.

The unit is designed to rest on its stand when extended. If you look at the case on all Flightscope LMs, they sit at least slightly tilted.

The unit's not THAT sensitive, and you should be able to place the ball, pretty much within a half-ball variance in any direction from the chosen impact spot.

But, the problem is there are six key variables to usage and placement, any one of which will throw the unit off.

1. Unit should sit at the same height the ball sits (OFFICIAL FLIGHTSCOPE position for all clubs INCLUDING DRIVER);

2. Distance between unit and impact (7 feet for driver; 4 feet for irons and wedges; adjust settings for unit distance accordingly)

3. Distance between impact and ball needs minimum of eight feet of flight (adjust between "indoor" and "outdoor" in settings accordingly)

4. Notch on top of unit lines up with ball / impact area and intended line of flight

5. Connection between the unit and the app device with no interference in the path (physical or other electronic "noise");

6. Change the club you're using;

Regarding driver, the FAQs say driver unit placement should be 7 feet behind the ball.

In addition, I feel like the longer the club, the more distance you should try to have between impact area to net.

This will give MEVO more spin data to measure, which should produce better estimates of carry on faster ball speeds.

Again, as stated above, FLIGHTSCOPE SAYS the unit should always sit at the same level where the ball sits.

FInally, we haven't talked about the bluetooth connection between unit and device housing the app.

If you use an iPad, I would switch my smartphone off or at least turn off the bluetooth to prevent interference.

Also, I try to keep a clear "line of sight" between the unit and the device hosting the app. (So, no golf bags, stray clubs, or other objects between them.)

I hope this helps!

On a side note, I went to the driving range this past weekend during day time and tested the Mevo side by side against a SkyTrak.

This was the first session with the SkyTrak, it was able to detect most of the shots at this driving range (Springrock in Long Island, NY), but unfortunately, I experienced similar issues with the Mevo, where it picked up less than 5 shots out of 300 balls. Again, the Mevo had absolutely no issue picking up non-range balls from here, but when it is the range ball, it was not able to pick up most of the shots, even when I put the sticker on the ball. This was during day time where the fluorescent lights above were not turned on. And it definitely was not the case with the alignment of the Mevo behind the golf balls.

In general, when I used a regular golf ball or when I was at the other range (Alley Pond in Bayside, NY), I can align the Mevo directly behind the golf ball/hitting area. Even when I use the rubber tees (about 2-3 inches to the right of the location directly in front of Mevo sight), Mevo had no trouble picking up the shots.

Did MEVO signal it was "ready" to accept a shot? (There is a light specific to "ready" state. Also, you can be notified the unit is ready via app audio in settings.)

Also, did you turn the SkyTrak off and move it out of the way when using the MEVO?

If you do not use your smartphone (assuming you have one!) to host your MEVO app, do you have the bluetooth turned off?

SkyTrak and/or a smartphone could interfere with operation and connection...

Beyond that, if your unit is reading every regular ball you hit, buts but not range balls, I'd probably contact Flightscope for their input. That's uncharacteristic, unless it's a range that embeds chips in the balls (e.g. Topgolf).

Did MEVO signal it was "ready" to accept a shot? (There is a light specific to "ready" state. Also, you can be notified the unit is ready via app audio in settings.)

Also, did you turn the SkyTrak off and move it out of the way when using the MEVO?

If you do not use your smartphone (assuming you have one!) to host your MEVO app, do you have the bluetooth turned off?

Beyond that, if your unit is reading every regular ball you hit, buts but not range balls, I'd probably contact Flightscope for their input. That's uncharacteristic, unless it's a range that embeds chips in the balls (e.g. Topgolf).

Regarding usage, I am 100% certain I am using Mevo correctly. I make sure the app is set to outdoor, proper distance behind the ball and level with hitting surface, and I wait for the "loud Ready" and the Green icon of ready before I hit the shots.

I did not move the SkyTrak out of the way as it sits to the right of the hitting area and does not interfere with the ball flight path detection (i.e. Mevo has direct line of sight 100% of the time and not blocked by SkyTrak). The SkyTrak uses camera and not radar, so the only possible interference I could see is if the SkyTrak wifi (not sure if it has BT) connection interferes with the Mevo bluetooth (as you have pointed out).

All my interactions with Mevo unit so far has led me to conclude it's the range ball. It literally detects the non-range ball 90-95% of the time, and range ball at this particular range 2-10 balls out of 300 balls.

I think I will give Flightscope a call sometime today to inquire about the potential of the radar not picking up a particular type of range balls. This range does not have any of the features like a TopGolf (shooting at a target and get scores), so I would be surprised if there are any particular chips or whatnot embedded into them.

Taylormade TP5x

At the ball or somewhere down range (and above the ball).

I don't know why they added that darn needle to the sight. I saw it in a review video and I was like "WTF?"

I just stand behind the unit, look down the range, hold my driver out, and check to make sure my notch and the impact spot line up under the driver shaft.

The unit is designed to rest on its stand when extended. If you look at the case on all Flightscope LMs, they sit at least slightly tilted.

The unit's not THAT sensitive, and you should be able to place the ball, pretty much within a half-ball variance in any direction from the chosen impact spot.

But, the problem is there are six key variables to usage and placement, any one of which will throw the unit off.

1. Unit should sit at the same height the ball sits (OFFICIAL FLIGHTSCOPE position for all clubs INCLUDING DRIVER);

2. Distance between unit and impact (7 feet for driver; 4 feet for irons and wedges; adjust settings for unit distance accordingly)

3. Distance between impact and ball needs minimum of eight feet of flight (adjust between "indoor" and "outdoor" in settings accordingly)

4. Notch on top of unit lines up with ball / impact area and intended line of flight

5. Connection between the unit and the app device with no interference in the path (physical or other electronic "noise");

6. Change the club you're using;

Regarding driver, the FAQs say driver unit placement should be 7 feet behind the ball.

In addition, I feel like the longer the club, the more distance you should try to have between impact area to net.

This will give MEVO more spin data to measure, which should produce better estimates of carry on faster ball speeds.

Again, as stated above, FLIGHTSCOPE SAYS the unit should always sit at the same level where the ball sits.

FInally, we haven't talked about the bluetooth connection between unit and device housing the app.

If you use an iPad, I would switch my smartphone off or at least turn off the bluetooth to prevent interference.

Also, I try to keep a clear "line of sight" between the unit and the device hosting the app. (So, no golf bags, stray clubs, or other objects between them.)

I hope this helps!

Sure does help, Games! Makes sense what you’re saying to line up almost from an overhead view and using a driver to make sure it’s on line. What I was doing is getting on the ground - picture using it like an actual gun sight and “aiming” the sight at the ball what you say makes much more sense. Before to get it to “aim” at the ball, the Mevo was vertical or even slightly leaning forward, which didn’t seem right to me. I was totally over thinking it! Thanks again!

Regarding usage, I am 100% certain I am using Mevo correctly. I make sure the app is set to outdoor, proper distance behind the ball and level with hitting surface, and I wait for the "loud Ready" and the Green icon of ready before I hit the shots.

I did not move the SkyTrak out of the way as it sits to the right of the hitting area and does not interfere with the ball flight path detection (i.e. Mevo has direct line of sight 100% of the time and not blocked by SkyTrak). The SkyTrak uses camera and not radar, so the only possible interference I could see is if the SkyTrak wifi (not sure if it has BT) connection interferes with the Mevo bluetooth (as you have pointed out).

All my interactions with Mevo unit so far has led me to conclude it's the range ball. It literally detects the non-range ball 90-95% of the time, and range ball at this particular range 2-10 balls out of 300 balls.

I think I will give Flightscope a call sometime today to inquire about the potential of the radar not picking up a particular type of range balls. This range does not have any of the features like a TopGolf (shooting at a target and get scores), so I would be surprised if there are any particular chips or whatnot embedded into them.

If I read correctly, you had one good session and two bad sessions. In both bad sessions, there was potential for significant electromagnetic interference with the unit from either fluorescent lights or a nearby SkyTrak.

Just bought my second Mevo after selling the first one on the bay after a few months of ownership. I had no problems with the first one recording shots and though I thought the club speed was a few mph high it otherwise worked fine.

This second unit is way off on distances. I'm at the same range, using same quality range balls, hitting outdoors, and tried every combination of distances and setup that worked in the past. However distance readings when landing on a 125yd flag were reading in the 90s. 145yd flag reading 115 to 120. And 175yd flag was showing distances in the 130s and 140s. Out of about 35 balls where I was certain of the actual distance, less than 5 were within 5-10yds accuracy.

Any idea what might be going on?

If I read correctly, you had one good session and two bad sessions. In both bad sessions, there was potential for significant electromagnetic interference with the unit from either fluorescent lights or a nearby SkyTrak.

Yes, session 1 and session 3 were both at Driving Range A, session 1 was night time where there was fluorescent light above, session 3 was day time, no fluorescent lighting. Both time the Mevo failed to register range balls (essentially <3% detection rate) but registered > 95% when it's non-range balls.

Session 2 was in Driving Range B, where Mevo detected 95%+ of the range balls and 99+% of the non-range balls (when it's a severe mishit, lol).

Session 3 I tested the SkyTrak and Mevo together.

Taylormade TP5x

First, from the "physician heal thyself" department... I took my MEVO out to my local indoor sim place to capture some video. I don't think anyone's shown the MEVO video capabilities that put it in a class by itself at its price point.

There was an app update issued this past week, and in my experience it has been better (for whatever reason) to delete the old app and do a fresh install of the new app. I did not do that, and I ended up with very mediocre performance last night, about one of seven or eight shots captured. Differences between last night and what I normally experience:

- I don't normally capture video on most of my shots (I typically use data only)

- When propped on the smaller MEVO box part, the unit sat slightly higher than the hitting surface. I think you can actually see its position in the video posted below.

I varied the ball position A LOT. Couldn't find the right spot to consistently make it work. I uploaded what I needed to the Flightscope site, so I will probably just uninstall and re-install the app.

EDIT: Maybe the metallic stickers help? I've never used them indoors, and never had a problem, but maybe it's time...

Here is video taken directly from MEVO with the data overlay:

[media=]

[/media]

Just bought my second Mevo after selling the first one on the bay after a few months of ownership. I had no problems with the first one recording shots and though I thought the club speed was a few mph high it otherwise worked fine.

This second unit is way off on distances. I'm at the same range, using same quality range balls, hitting outdoors, and tried every combination of distances and setup that worked in the past. However distance readings when landing on a 125yd flag were reading in the 90s. 145yd flag reading 115 to 120. And 175yd flag was showing distances in the 130s and 140s. Out of about 35 balls where I was certain of the actual distance, less than 5 were within 5-10yds accuracy.

Any idea what might be going on?

Don't know if you erased the MEVO app after you sold the first one. I know there was an app update last week, and I'm going to erase mine and re-install fresh as that has seemed to work in the past.

I did note in my problem session last night that the app default setting was "outdoor" and I was indoor so I changed that. Point being to re-check settings after app updates.

Edit: One thing maybe others are experiencing: If you're using MEVO for data only, make sure your settings are set for that so the unit is not looking for video, too. I can't recall if MEVO prompts you to open your camera. But maybe the video setting makes it more difficult for the app to manage shots?

• 2 weeks later...

> @NYNJ8 said:

> Thanks everyone for your input. My range uses full flight range balls which were pretty new at the time of testing. Interestingly I did hit one non-range ball and I went back and looked up that shot which was very good contact and it was the one shot where the smash was greater than 1.43.

>

>

>

> So it appears that the issue I'm facing is due to a combination of budget range balls and over-stated swing speed. That lone shot registered a SS of 109 and ball speed of 157 for 260 carry. Seems to me that a well struck ball at 109mph would generate ball speed in the 160s and and a little more carry. I've suspected by the SS on my Mevo is overstated by 4-5mph. I had a few swings up there at 114 which seems very high based on my distances and ball speed. Longest carry was 273 and a small handful in the 260s. Ball speed never reached 160

I have this same issue. Everything seems very accurate until I get to driver. I thought maybe it was boosting my CHS so I had my buddy hit some shots and it was putting his speed right there with what he had measured last year on TM. Every other club lines up-even 3-wood. I've tried everything with driver and it just doesn't give me any sort of reasonable carry number with SS, Launch and spin numbers.

> @Tre4ISU said:

> I have this same issue. Everything seems very accurate until I get to driver. I thought maybe it was boosting my CHS so I had my buddy hit some shots and it was putting his speed right there with what he had measured last year on TM. Every other club lines up-even 3-wood. I've tried everything with driver and it just doesn't give me any sort of reasonable carry number with SS, Launch and spin numbers.

I got confirmation from Flightscope the unit should be **level with the bottom of the ball** on all shots. For driver, this means placing the unit on one of the box parts or the box itself, depending on your tee height. Also, Flightscope's latest instructions are to place the unit seven feet behind the ball when hitting driver. Also, for driver in indoor mode, I would try to put as much distance between tee and net as available space allows, to give the unit the chance to read as much spin as possible. Finally, make sure you selecting the proper club type on the app.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bumping this, just got my mevo. I always thought there was a range ball option, anyone know how much ball speed drop you'd expect with limited flight range balls?

My iron ball speeds seem close to my TM/Xi+ numbers (125ish with 7i), but driver ball speed was way down. Im around 165-170 max with real balls with driver, but with the Mevo could not get past 158. Threw a few shag balls to try but wondering if this is a known down fall

I have Mevo for a few months and it's been pretty good. It picked up 95% of shots I hit on driving range without metal sticker and it's not very picky on where I put the ball and how far the Mevo needed to be behind the ball. I do have a slight problem with Driver, I always put Mevo on its own box when I hit driver and the swing speed and ball speed seems to be lower. My theory is maybe the range ball has a carry limit and also maybe I need to move it further back when I hit driver.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

> @shaolingolfer said:

> I have Mevo for a few months and it's been pretty good. It picked up 95% of shots I hit on driving range without metal sticker and it's not very picky on where I put the ball and how far the Mevo needed to be behind the ball. I do have a slight problem with Driver, I always put Mevo on its own box when I hit driver and the swing speed and ball speed seems to be lower. My theory is maybe the range ball has a carry limit and also maybe I need to move it further back when I hit driver.

I think the MEVO FAQs call for 7 feet between the unit and ball, instead of the usual four feet. I would be interested to know how well the unit reads wedges at seven feet. I wonder if it could actually do the same or better than 4-6 foot range...

> @Krt22 said:

> Bumping this, just got my mevo. I always thought there was a range ball option, anyone know how much ball speed drop you'd expect with limited flight range balls?

>

> My iron ball speeds seem close to my TM/Xi+ numbers (125ish with 7i), but driver ball speed was way down. Im around 165-170 max with real balls with driver, but with the Mevo could not get past 158. Threw a few shag balls to try but wondering if this is a known down fall

Looks like I found the answer to my own question...given my SS I might see even more non-linearity with driver. FUUUU

https://practical-golf.com/range-golf-ball-versus-premium-ball/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...