3w distance off the fairway

baller4opca

Yeah, what's a mere 100,000 rounds compared to what you already know with zero data, right?

True, I only have the 3,000 or so rounds that I have played in my lifetime to measure against. I remember well when I was averaging 37 putts a round and shooting in the 90s. A putting lesson and some hard practice has got that down to 30 putts a round and scores in the 80s. GIR is about the same so I know from my data that my scoring has improved not through more distance or being closer to the hole on approaches, it is purely through my putting

I know that DJ would have had no chance of winning at the weekend until he started holing out those putts...he was ranked first in the field for holing putts longer than ten feet btw.

We all know deep down that it is a good all round game that scores best. Very rarely is the best player in the field top in one of the measured stats. More likely they are near the top in several of the categories. The stats that skew improvements in scoring solely towards gaining distance are being manipulated in that way to serve a purpose - the sale of new and improved £500 drivers every six months. Enlightened golfers are seeing through it hence the difficulties that TM are experiencing.

That's why I said practicing putting is a waste of time for "all but incredibly elite players". DJ is an incredibly elite player. He likely doesn't have many strokes left to gain from ballstriking improvement. We do. The whole point of strokes gained is that you should practice whatever part of the game you can make up the most strokes the quickest. For virtually every amateur worse than around a +1, thats ballstriking (approach shots and tee shots).

Everybody's different. Almost all of my remaining strokes to be gained are on and around the greens. A former tour player used to bust my stones constantly saying that if I'd spend as much time on short game and putting as I did beating balls on the range I'd be on tour. Looking back now I should have listened. Now that I'm getting older, my body doesn't let me hit range balls for hours on end so I am spending more time on the things I never practiced a decade ago. Now its like a light went off and I realize that he was right. A decade ago I was more interested in bombing the ball and people complimenting my full swing than I was in scoring. I suppose that was an ego thing too.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

About a 1/4 Mile

Is that average or your best? :rofl:

Just don't get why people care about other people's distances and then call them liars when they think it's not possible to hit it that far! Too funny!

Two reasons.

1. The psychology of thinking people can't be better or that much better than they are at something. Its an ego thing.

2. Some people simply lack a frame of reference. They've not played with people outside their little sphere.

3. They live on planet earth, and realize that a 280 *carry average* from a 5 cap with a 16.5* club is a ridiculously stupid claim. On the moon, he might have a chance. If its Neil Armstrong, my apologies. Otherwise, he's full of it.

Note the two key words here: carry and average. I have no doubt they can hit screaming line drives all the time that go 280, and I have no doubt they can carry it 280 once in a while. They can't do both. There is no chance that 70% of this thread is in the top 1.5-2% of ballstrikers in the world. None. Zero.

This does not mean that "nobody can do it". I don't believe 70% of this thread can do it.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Yeah, what's a mere 100,000 rounds compared to what you already know with zero data, right?

True, I only have the 3,000 or so rounds that I have played in my lifetime to measure against. I remember well when I was averaging 37 putts a round and shooting in the 90s. A putting lesson and some hard practice has got that down to 30 putts a round and scores in the 80s. GIR is about the same so I know from my data that my scoring has improved not through more distance or being closer to the hole on approaches, it is purely through my putting

I know that DJ would have had no chance of winning at the weekend until he started holing out those putts...he was ranked first in the field for holing putts longer than ten feet btw.

We all know deep down that it is a good all round game that scores best. Very rarely is the best player in the field top in one of the measured stats. More likely they are near the top in several of the categories. The stats that skew improvements in scoring solely towards gaining distance are being manipulated in that way to serve a purpose - the sale of new and improved £500 drivers every six months. Enlightened golfers are seeing through it hence the difficulties that TM are experiencing.

That's why I said practicing putting is a waste of time for "all but incredibly elite players". DJ is an incredibly elite player. He likely doesn't have many strokes left to gain from ballstriking improvement. We do. The whole point of strokes gained is that you should practice whatever part of the game you can make up the most strokes the quickest. For virtually every amateur worse than around a +1, thats ballstriking (approach shots and tee shots).

Everybody's different. Almost all of my remaining strokes to be gained are on and around the greens. A former tour player used to bust my stones constantly saying that if I'd spend as much time on short game and putting as I did beating balls on the range I'd be on tour. Looking back now I should have listened. Now that I'm getting older, my body doesn't let me hit range balls for hours on end so I am spending more time on the things I never practiced a decade ago. Now its like a light went off and I realize that he was right. A decade ago I was more interested in bombing the ball and people complimenting my full swing than I was in scoring. I suppose that was an ego thing too.

Totally agree. This is why I said "the vast majority" of players. The study found outliers, for sure. This has happened a ton in this thread - people confusing "most" and "vast majority" for "all". I know nothing about you. it is entirely possible that you have gained all the strokes you can from ballstriking and need to get to the short game area.

Based on Broadie's study, Brown's study and the 2015 study linked earlier in the thread, it is unlikely, but it totally possible. This is totally player dependent. That's why I always say "vast majority" and not "all".

For the vast majority of players (98%+) the best way to improve at putting is to hit irons closer to the hole.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I can't argue with your gut feeling as to why you got better (I'm assuming you don't have the data from those 3000 rounds stored somewhere). I think its unlikely that you are one of the most unique putters in the world, but it is certainly possible. I would also suggest, without being offensive because i have read and agreed with a lot of your posts in the past, that others should model their practice plans on the 8 year study, not your gut feeling about how you got from the 90s to the 80s.

I have the data from nearly every round I've played in the last 8 years so it is more than a gut feeling. I know that to improve my scoring I need to improve my fairways hit and GIR but that needs lessons and time on the range...two things I don't have time for. However, I do have time to practice putting and chipping around the house and garden even if it is just 10 minutes a day working on 3' putts or 6' putts and that is where I have seen the greatest gain. Going back to the topic of the thread, I was testing some three woods a few years back and was consistently getting 220-230 yard carry from the mat measured by Vector Pro. A guy who I didn't know was watching me hit shots and asked my handicap. When I told him I was off 10, he said that my short game must be in a pretty bad way which was what motivated me to sort out my putting.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Bump

HOOOOOOOOO...... Yesterday, Freaking smoked a 3wood off the deck......180 yards..... after putting 2 in the water and lying 5.....

Brah I crushed that 3 wood....and I mean I crushed it!! I FREAKING CRUSHED IT.... could not hit it any harder than I could.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

About a 1/4 Mile

Just don't get why people care about other people's distances and then call them liars when they think it's not possible to hit it that far! Too funny!

Two reasons.

1. The psychology of thinking people can't be better or that much better than they are at something. Its an ego thing.

2. Some people simply lack a frame of reference. They've not played with people outside their little sphere.

3. They live on planet earth, and realize that a 280 *carry average* from a 5 cap with a 16.5* club is a ridiculously stupid claim. On the moon, he might have a chance. If its Neil Armstrong, my apologies. Otherwise, he's full of it.

Note the two key words here: carry and average. I have no doubt they can hit screaming line drives all the time that go 280, and I have no doubt they can carry it 280 once in a while. They can't do both. There is no chance that 70% of this thread is in the top 1.5-2% of ballstrikers in the world. None. Zero.

This does not mean that "nobody can do it". I don't believe 70% of this thread can do it.

Actually, if you go back to page one of this thread the topic at hand is not "What is average". The topic started as a "What do you" thread.

Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
SeeMore FPG Putter

About a 1/4 Mile

Two reasons.

Actually, if you go back to page one of this thread the topic at hand is not "What is average". The topic started as a "What do you" thread.

You are the fourth person to make that point (at least). The conversation changed during the thread (that happens). We also had a debate about whether the OP's question was "how far CAN you hit your 3w" or if it was "how far do you AVERAGE with your 3w". I 100% agreed (as I have a thousand times) that being able to hit a 3 wood 280 isn't very impressive and a whole lot of people can make that claim.

Averaging it is incredibly impressive. Having it as your max swinging out of your shoes so you can say you "can" do it is nonsense.

It doesn't matter how you cut the pie. Person after person keeps trying the same arguments you are trying now, and none of them work. We can play semantic games all day, but the point is that if you can't do it with consistency you can't tell people that is how far you hit that club. Here's the progression:

Others: There are people who can do it, you are a hater.

Me: I know there are people who can do it, just not 70% of this thread.

Others: There are super fast elite ams out there. They can average 270 carry.

Me: Yep. I just don't think 70% of this thread are elite ams, and some of these yardages are absolutely ridiculous if you know anything at all about data from actual studies.

Others: (1 of 3 responses) That wasn't the original question! Haha got ya! (thread abandoned) OR Stop writing so much Pine, you idiot! (thread abandoned) OR I'll post a video (thread abandoned after I said yes I'd like to see a video - neither of those two ever posted one. A +2 did and he can do it.).

That conversation has been repeated with four to five different people now.

People overestimate their distance constantly. Its what golfers do. Its unfortunate, but its reality. Any way you want to cut the pie, the distances in this thread are absurd for 3w off the deck for the handicaps stated. They are nonsense. Malarky. Either this thread contains some of the most unique golfers in the entire world or they're full of it. They are either lying about their stated handicaps or they are lying about their 3 wood skill. Both can't be true. Could there be one outlier 5 cap who played hockey (to quote an earlier guy) and can smash it? Sure. But there can't be 10 outliers like in this thread. Nonsense. Now, I don't think they are "lying" - I think they are lying to themselves. This is the progression (as stated earlier):

1. I hit it far off the tee.

2. I am a long hitter.

3. How far do I hit a 3 wood? Hm, I have no data at all, but I am long off the tee and I am a long player. How long does a long player hit a 3w?

4. I hit it 270.

This is because our self-images as golfers (unless we are aware and take active steps to correct) are completely wrong 99% of the time (see earlier study). That guy is long off the tee, but that doesn't mean he's long off the deck or with a wedge.

The key is to understand that in the absence of actual data from the course players use their self-image to construct their statistics. They are virtually always wrong.

Now, if you, SurfDuffer, interpret "how far do you hit your 3w" as "whats the biggest carry yardage you can achieve around 20% of the time in a trackman bay" I'd agree with you. I interpret "how far do you hit your 3w" to be "how far do you hit your 3w most of the time when you swing it on a golf course on planet earth".

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

So the hilarious thing is, after all this nonsense about people not knowing how far they hit their clubs, I decided to start measuring my 3 wood distances on the course and it turns out I hit it FURTHER than I thought. I will now proceed to write 10 pages of blatheringly dull text that nobody will read, repeatedly bringing up the same irrelevant arguments that continue to be ignored, 8in an effort to preserve my own ego.

So the hilarious thing is, after all this nonsense about people not knowing how far they hit their clubs, I decided to start measuring my 3 wood distances on the course and it turns out I hit it FURTHER than I thought. I will now proceed to write 10 pages of blatheringly dull text that nobody will read, repeatedly bringing up the same irrelevant arguments that continue to be ignored, 8in an effort to preserve my own ego.

You know the funny part is, I think Pine and I would be happy to hear this.... I think this is part of our premise, While Pine and I share many thoughts..... It was to review and be accurate about your distance. So you can make better choices on the course.

Be it if you are being conservative with your numbers and you could actually hit it further consistently. Or if you hit it shorter than you thought. The whole point is being as realistic about your numbers As possible...

Congratulations on sitting down to grind out your numbers and realizing you CAN hit it a little further!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

You know the funny part is, I think Pine and I would be happy to hear this.... I think this is part of our premise, While Pine and I share many thoughts..... It was to review and be accurate about your distance. So you can make better choices on the course.

Be it if you are being conservative with your numbers and you could actually hit it further consistently. Or if you hit it shorter than you thought. The whole point is being as realistic about your numbers As possible...

Congratulations on sitting down to grind out your numbers and realizing you CAN hit it a little further!

Correct. It actually reinforces my point. My point isn't that people can't hit it far, its that they have no idea how far they actually hit it, and this poster is clearly in this group. Thumbs up for going out and doing some research for yourself. How do you know the arguments were irrelevant if you didn't read them? Thumbs down for being extremely disrespectful for no reason at all.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Correct. It actually reinforces my point. My point isn't that people can't hit it far, its that they have no idea how far they actually hit it, and this poster is clearly in this group. Thumbs up for going out and doing some research for yourself. How do you know the arguments were irrelevant if you didn't read them? Thumbs down for being extremely disrespectful for no reason at all.

I mean all the disrespect in the world when I say this, shut up!!

I want to hit the report button on this dude, but if I do I will lose this fun thread.... You sir can find another thread, everyone here has be pretty cordial, That is why it made it to 19 pages.... your post was probably the most disrespectful of them all... please look in the mirror...

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I have a hard time know exactly how far I carry my D/3W/5W because I rarely hit those into greens or take on many hazards at a X distance. I just know my total distances on those clubs from using gamegolf

Again part of the premise here.... Why "DONT" you know? Does anyone put the same amount of extensive time to hit their 3wood as much as their PW? I will be the first to admit that I dont.... But the 3 wood is important as my PW in all honesty.... I think it was TW that said it,

Reporter - "What is your Favorite Club TW?" --

TW - "All of them"

Again knowing and being confident about each distance be it 3W, Driver, PW, 7iron, in my opinion important to be able to shoot a competitive round, be it 100, 90, 80, 70 etc

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I want to hit the report button on this dude, but if I do I will lose this fun thread.... You sir can find another thread, everyone here has be pretty cordial, That is why it made it to 19 pages.... your post was probably the most disrespectful of them all... please look in the mirror...

I appreciate it Exactice, but you don't need to respond. There are tens of thousands of threads on this board. He decided he needed to come in here and say that because what I'm saying must be hitting close to him. Otherwise he'd just ignore it like he ignores all the other threads he doesn't respond in. His reaction to my arguments says all you need to know about the truth of his distance claims.

As shakespeare said "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. ".

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

You are the fourth person to make that point (at least). The conversation changed during the thread (that happens). We also had a debate about whether the OP's question was "how far CAN you hit your 3w" or if it was "how far do you AVERAGE with your 3w". I 100% agreed (as I have a thousand times) that being able to hit a 3 wood 280 isn't very impressive and a whole lot of people can make that claim.

Averaging it is incredibly impressive. Having it as your max swinging out of your shoes so you can say you "can" do it is nonsense.

It doesn't matter how you cut the pie. Person after person keeps trying the same arguments you are trying now, and none of them work. We can play semantic games all day, but the point is that if you can't do it with consistency you can't tell people that is how far you hit that club. Here's the progression:

Me: Yep. I just don't think 70% of this thread are elite ams, and some of these yardages are absolutely ridiculous if you know anything at all about data from actual studies.

Others: (1 of 3 responses) That wasn't the original question! Haha got ya! (thread abandoned) OR Stop writing so much Pine, you idiot! (thread abandoned) OR I'll post a video (thread abandoned after I said yes I'd like to see a video - neither of those two ever posted one. A +2 did and he can do it.).

People overestimate their distance constantly. Its what golfers do. Its unfortunate, but its reality. Any way you want to cut the pie, the distances in this thread are absurd for 3w off the deck for the handicaps stated. They are nonsense. Malarky. Either this thread contains some of the most unique golfers in the entire world or they're full of it. They are either lying about their stated handicaps or they are lying about their 3 wood skill. Both can't be true. Could there be one outlier 5 cap who played hockey (to quote an earlier guy) and can smash it? Sure. But there can't be 10 outliers like in this thread. Nonsense. Now, I don't think they are "lying" - I think they are lying to themselves. This is the progression (as stated earlier):

2. I am a long hitter.

3. How far do I hit a 3 wood? Hm, I have no data at all, but I am long off the tee and I am a long player. How long does a long player hit a 3w?

4. I hit it 270.

This is because our self-images as golfers (unless we are aware and take active steps to correct) are completely wrong 99% of the time (see earlier study). That guy is long off the tee, but that doesn't mean he's long off the deck or with a wedge.

The key is to understand that in the absence of actual data from the course players use their self-image to construct their statistics. They are virtually always wrong.

Now, if you, SurfDuffer, interpret "how far do you hit your 3w" as "whats the biggest carry yardage you can achieve around 20% of the time in a trackman bay" I'd agree with you. I interpret "how far do you hit your 3w" to be "how far do you hit your 3w most of the time when you swing it on a golf course on planet earth".

Bwaa HaHaHa!!!! You typed all that for me. Like I'm going to read your book report?

Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
SeeMore FPG Putter

2. I am a long hitter.

4. I hit it 270.

Bwaa HaHaHa!!!! You typed all that for me. Like I'm going to read your book report?

Of course you read it. It was less than a page on a 17" monitor. And you have no response, hence your post.

It's taken 19 pages, but we've finally drilled down to the truth - the counter-arguments have become "your posts are too long" and "shut up".

You guys don't hit it that far. You simply don't. Its painfully obvious from how you conduct yourselves when confronted. Still no swing videos i see.

Best of luck to all going forward.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Earlier I posted that I new of several mid cap amateurs that hit their 3 wood as long or longer than pros. This is true. They have the club head speed. What they lack is consistency due to the fact that they have day jobs and can't practice that often.

As far as hitting the 3 wood off the fairway...they don't. As mid cappers they are not playing tees far back enough to ever require a 3 wood from the fairway to reach the green on our little muni course.

2. I am a long hitter.

4. I hit it 270.

Of course you read it. It was less than a page on a 17" monitor. And you have no response, hence your post.

It's taken 19 pages, but we've finally drilled down to the truth - the counter-arguments have become "your posts are too long" and "shut up".

You guys don't hit it that far. You simply don't. Its painfully obvious from how you conduct yourselves when confronted. Still no swing videos i see.

That was not a counter argument. That was me laughing at you......which I'm doing again. Get over yourself.

Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
SeeMore FPG Putter

2. I am a long hitter.

4. I hit it 270.

That was not a counter argument. That was me laughing at you......which I'm doing again. Get over yourself.

You seem like a really nice, well adjusted guy. All my best going forward.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

2. I am a long hitter.

4. I hit it 270.

You are insufferable. It is laughable, your logic. The fact that you think people being a jerk towards you means they're don't hit the ball as far as they claim. Hint: they're being a jerk towards you because of your holier than thou attitude on the subject. People have stopped reading/responding to your dissertations because you have regurgitated the same line of thinking repeatedly without any new substance.

And just to indulge your fantasy of viewing strangers' swing videos I'll be the real gutsy one and share a video of mine. I'm sure you'll find some asinine excuse for why I can't possibly average 240+ carry with my 3 wood because you're just smarter than the rest of us, and that must mean your opinion is stone cold fact.

https://www.flickr.c...7/shares/cy9Y60

2. I am a long hitter.

4. I hit it 270.

You are insufferable. It is laughable, your logic. The fact that you think people being a jerk towards you means they're don't hit the ball as far as they claim. Hint: they're being a jerk towards you because of your holier than thou attitude on the subject. People have stopped reading/responding to your dissertations because you have regurgitated the same line of thinking repeatedly without any new substance.

And just to indulge your fantasy of viewing strangers' swing videos I'll be the real gutsy one and share a video of mine. I'm sure you'll find some asinine excuse for why I can't possibly average 240+ carry with my 3 wood because you're just smarter than the rest of us, and that must mean your opinion is stone cold fact.

https://www.flickr.c...7/shares/cy9Y60

Nice swing! Like the flat wrist angle at the top of backswing.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

If i am carrying my 3 Wood over 230 from the deck I'm thrilled. I don't hit it from the tee ever unless i need to hit something like 260-270

I have very little difference between my carry distance off the deck vs. off the tee. Around 230 I am pleased with either way.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][b]Titleist[/b] 915 D3 8.5* w/Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
[b]Taylormade[/b] R9 15* w/Graphite Design Tour AD BB7
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 2 Iron w/[color=#333333][size=2][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Graphite Design Tour AD Utility Driving Iron 95g[/background][/size][/color]
[b]Titleist[/b] 712 AP2 3-PW w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Vokey SM5 58* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist[/b] Vokey SM6 50/54* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback No. 1
[b]Titelist[/b] Prov1x[/font]