2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

3w distance off the fairway

baller4opca

Mine hasn't landed yet.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I got 260-270 carry in my last fitting with the Epic Sub Zero

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Always need to remember Pros only talk about yardages in carry distance which is consistent. Not like the typical amateur who uses the "if I catch all of it" total distance as a yardage.

Pros also are trying to bring the ball down high and soft to hold fast greens and take some off to do so, where most amateurs are going for max distance and dealing with the consequences later.

I don't hit 3W very far at all! Often times the ball ends up 15-20 yards behind me!! Some say it's because I hit it so long it's wrapped its way around the world? Others say it's because I play an inferior Titleist product that has 1573.9 times more back spin than any other fairway on the market and it just spins its way behind me. I get similar outcomes with my driver!!

Lol

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

The average on the PGA Tour for 3 wood distance off the deck (carry and roll) is 243 yards.

I do not believe some of you *Average* 250,60 and 70.

I believe that you hit that quite a few times, maybe even more than half the time, but there is no chance it is your average.

Most of the time when you ask "how far do you hit X club?" or "how far do you drive?" people hear "how far CAN you drive" not "how far is your AVERAGE drive?"

Average means every shot is included. You shouldn't feel bad about an actual average of 230. Most golfers don't actually measure and just eyeball, and really good shots are seared into our brain's memories while so-so ones are quickly forgotten. If you actually average 230, you are probably in the top 5% of 3 wood hitters in the world.

I know a million people will reply to this and claim they actually do hit it that far, and I have no doubt they "can" - I very much doubt they do it on average. I also very much doubt a few of the posters in this thread who claim to be longer off the tee with their 3 woods than the average for PGA Tour driver carry, which is 274.

I have ZERO doubt that they CAN hit it that far, nor do I have any doubt that they sometimes hit it that far. I have zero belief it is their average.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

The average on the PGA Tour for 3 wood distance off the deck (carry and roll) is 243 yards.

I believe that you hit that quite a few times, maybe even more than half the time, but there is no chance it is your average.

Most of the time when you ask "how far do you hit X club?" or "how far do you drive?" people hear "how far CAN you drive" not "how far is your AVERAGE drive?"

Average means every shot is included. You shouldn't feel bad about an actual average of 230. Most golfers don't actually measure and just eyeball, and really good shots are seared into our brain's memories while so-so ones are quickly forgotten. If you actually average 230, you are probably in the top 5% of 3 wood hitters in the world.

I know a million people will reply to this and claim they actually do hit it that far, and I have no doubt they "can" - I very much doubt they do it on average. I also very much doubt a few of the posters in this thread who claim to be longer off the tee with their 3 woods than the average for PGA Tour driver carry, which is 274.

I have ZERO doubt that they CAN hit it that far, nor do I have any doubt that they sometimes hit it that far. I have zero belief it is their average.

Great point! I just had a trackman fitting for a new 3w. The guy in the bay over also was being fit and he was bragging how he hits his 3w "about" 265 carry that rolls to about 285. Well, after just 20 mins he was getting pissed off because trackman was telling him his average carry was 232 (off the tee). lol He did have a nice one that went out to 270 in between the 5 balls he would thin. Anyways, back to original topic. I average 245 carry off the deck. Off the tee, average about 257 carry. Those numbers are according to Trackman.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

My 3 wood is the most versatile club in my bag and for good reason. I can fly it as short as 240 and as long as 265 off the deck. I love that I can hit a draw or fade, high or low, and control the spin. Off the tee I carry it about 280 pretty consistently on a decently struck ball. My angle of attack increasing off the tee accounts for lower spin and a little more carry. I think I've finally gotten rid of the double cross miss that would creep into my 3 wood swing occasionally where I'd aim left to play a cut and hit a pull draw. I don't care where you play, that's death every time.

Interestingly enough, I've found that I fly the M1 3HL (16.5 deg) nearly as long as my current 14.5 deg gamer. I haven't hit it off a tee yet, but from the deck it's a real weapon.

Always need to remember Pros only talk about yardages in carry distance which is consistent. Not like the typical amateur who uses the "if I catch all of it" total distance as a yardage.

Pros also are trying to bring the ball down high and soft to hold fast greens and take some off to do so, where most amateurs are going for max distance and dealing with the consequences later.

You've just summed up not only my golf game, but my life in general - lol.

I generally carry 230 off the deck, but misses tend to be topped and very embarrassing ;-)

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

When i think of "average" i am excluding outliers. For example if i am warm and take 15 swings then i'd take the average of my best 10.

Every amateur is going to hit a thin shot or a snap hook or whatever. I don't think it serves any purpose to add that into your "average" for the purpose of this discussion.

I could hit 9 consecutive 250yd shots and then top one 50yds....and my average is suddenly 230. But i don't think that is reflective of what we are talking about here.

Understand that is not how they measure it on tour but i think everyone here assumes we are going to have some margin for error and the discussion is more "how far do you hit it most of the time"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

When i think of "average" i am excluding outliers. For example if i am warm and take 15 swings then i'd take the average of my best 10.

Every amateur is going to hit a thin shot or a snap hook or whatever. I don't think it serves any purpose to add that into your "average" for the purpose of this discussion.

I could hit 9 consecutive 250yd shots and then top one 50yds....and my average is suddenly 230. But i don't think that is reflective of what we are talking about here.

Understand that is not how they measure it on tour but i think everyone here assumes we are going to have some margin for error and the discussion is more "how far do you hit it most of the time"

Obviously. So are they. It's a weighted average not a straight average. If someone hits a ball OB they don't average in a zero. They throw out outliers to arrive at 243. They also use holes running in opposite directions to factor out wind.

I don't think there are multiple people in this thread who average better than tour. Top end? Sure. Not average.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Some of us have a swing speed a bit higher than 90mph with a 3w. I'm around 110-112mph with the 3w. 118ish with driver. If I hit my 3w shorter than 260, it was an accident. I'm almost always over 260 and 290+ has been done more than a few times. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean that it can't be done.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

I don't know any golfers that average every shot to get their carry distance. Of course you throw out the bad ones, otherwise you are playing to miss hit the ball. I think it is fair to assume that your typical distance implies a well struck shot. Nobody is interested in how far somebody tops a 3 wood.

Obviously. So are they. It's a weighted average not a straight average. If someone hits a ball OB they don't average in a zero. They throw out outliers to arrive at 243. They also use holes running in opposite directions to factor out wind.

I don't think there are multiple people in this thread who average better than tour. Top end? Sure. Not average.

Where are you getting those PGA Tour average distances from? 1989?

pga-lpga+avgs.jpg

LOL!!!!! 250 plus carry.....

107 with 1.48 smash obtaining 158mph ball speed = 243 carry.... So to say lets say 110swing speed @ 1.48 smash and 162.8 Mph ball speed.... to get the 250+ carry.... Love it...

Some people hear "Consistently" hit their 3 wood harder and faster than PGA tour Pros..... Gotta Love GolfWRX and their distance........jeebus........

I want to litterly stand 250 down a fairway and let someone hit their 3wood off the tee and off the deck 10 shots each at me, I wont move, so 20 Shots total, I bet not even 25% would even reach me on the roll.......NOT even 5 will reach me....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Some people hit their clubs farther than people on the pga tour. Pga tour pros score well. Doesn't mean they hit it a mile. I'll gladly play 18 with you and hit only 3w off the tee all day. We can measure any time you like.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

pga-lpga+avgs.jpg

107 with 1.48 smash obtaining 158mph ball speed = 243 carry.... So to say lets say 110swing speed @ 1.48 smash and 162.8 Mph ball speed.... to get the 250+ carry.... Love it...

Some people hear "Consistently" hit their 3 wood harder and faster than PGA tour Pros..... Gotta Love GolfWRX and their distance........jeebus........

I want to litterly stand 250 down a fairway and let someone hit their 3wood off the tee and off the deck 10 shots each at me, I wont move, so 20 Shots total, I bet not even 25% would even reach me on the roll.......NOT even 5 will reach me....

Put money on it that 70-80% of mine fly you.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

Some people hit their clubs farther than people on the pga tour. Pga tour pros score well. Doesn't mean they hit it a mile. I'll gladly play 18 with you and hit only 3w off the tee all day. We can measure any time you like.

Oh dont get me wrong, I know there are many some people that can do it,

I just dont think,

1) They can do it on demand/average as some people think

2) They are hitting the actual distance they really think they do

3) if you are driving range pro/LM pro sure you can do it as you have a chance to repeat the swing, but if you had to take it on demand at the course, doubt it.

4) 250 yards slice and hook does not count....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Trackman had me carrying my 13.5* 3w 271yds when I was fit for my 917..(yes I said carry) I can mishit one and carry past that 250 mark you set.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

pga-lpga+avgs.jpg

I don't know how to hit my 3 wood that short...could use my 3 iron I guess

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Trackman had me carrying my 13.5* 3w 271yds when I was fit for my 917..(yes I said carry) I can mishit one and carry past that 250 mark you set.

Relax my friend, this is not a personal attack,...... but we have seen it many times and more so..... there is a misunderstanding by many on LM more than not, while this site is full of educated people there are also people not as well knowledgeable about LM actual distances etc.

With that, Im sure you can validate, great for you.... I will even give you the benifit of the doubt with your 13.5* 3wood versus a standard 15* 3wood.....

But again... from my experience and the misconception I have been prove right more often than not....that amateurs average drives 300 yards and some people in this thread average a 3wood off the deck and a 15* 3 wood off the deck 250+ CARRY....... um yeah.... no not really.... sorry.....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Plenty of people on here swing a 3 wood faster than 107 mph. Use a 13* head and strike it well and it will fly 250 plus. The average PGA Tour swing speed is not any faster than thousands of young accomplished amateur golfers. It is the consistency and short game that really separates those guys. I don't know why people point to the average PGA Tour player as the definitive benchmark for how far a human being is capable of hitting a golf ball.

I agree that most people are not hitting 250+ with the 3w. Hell, half aren't doing that with driver. But I do believe there's many people on this board even with above average swing speeds and the ability to move the ball down range with some serious velocity. Thunderbuzzworth makes me look short. My all time long drive is 342. That's nothing to some people... just saying that while it may seem outlandish to some, it's definitely more attainable than some make it out to be

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

Plenty of people on here swing a 3 wood faster than 107 mph. Use a 13* head and strike it well and it will fly 250 plus. The average PGA Tour swing speed is not any faster than thousands of young accomplished amateur golfers. It is the consistency and short game that really separates those guys. I don't know why people point to the average PGA Tour player as the definitive benchmark for how far a human being is capable of hitting a golf ball.

Because Average = Consistency

So if you are telling me you can consistently hit a 250 yard + 3 wood to your intended target, you belong on the Tour and should be extremely competitive as those guys at the highest levels and they pride themselves on consistency.

I have a 102mph Swing with a 1.5 smash = 153mph ball speed for a driver, I can in fact hit a 250+ yard 3 wood, 15* YES.... on purpose, no, lucky, yes. consistently, hell no, I would say 220 at best consistently..... Thats my point. There is a difference between on demand in real life if your life counted on it.

Here is a really stupid example, Your loved one is on a pit, you have 1 chance to hit a 3 wood, 250+ yards straight on target..... can you deliver.... if you can then you belong on the tour because basically this is what the guys do for a living.... this is why us amateurs have day jobs.....

PS, I really dont care how Fast you swing your club, How about this, to hit a 250 yard 3 wood, you would need 160mph ball speeds....That means you are likely achieving a center strike and consistent contact to validate an "AVERAGE" not just couple of good strikes....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"