3w distance off the fairway

baller4opca

The reason the top end of my bag changes so much is because I can't hit a 3W long enough off the deck. Probably 225 if I'm being honest (and I'm a 4 hcp). How often do you need to hit it 225? Not all that often. I can hit a 3-wood, 4-wood and even this new Heavenwood I'm testing all within 10-15 yards of each other.

But I do need specialty tee shots at my home club. So it becomes a rotating spot of experimentation (because I can't help it) for a spot in my bag that I need to just set and forget.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

All depends on how clean I catch it, but the 3 wood is around 275 carry off the deck for me. That was with my old RBZ stage 2. My New M2 Tour issue is looking to be closer to 280-285 carry off the deck.

Distance isn't much longer off the tee, maybe another 10 yards depending on roll out.

Swing speed around 115mph, ball speed around 170mph.

And since I rarely post here... here's proof.

Bump

HOOOOOOOOO...... Yesterday, Freaking smoked a 3wood off the deck......180 yards..... after putting 2 in the water and lying 5.....

Brah I crushed that 3 wood....and I mean I crushed it!! I FREAKING CRUSHED IT.... could not hit it any harder than I could.

HOOOOOOOOOOO...... Hit a frozen rope 3 wood off the deck, 242 to the pin, Par 5 second shot, 8ft from pin, made birdie.

I didnt swing as hard as the one above.... but I made the most solid contact I think I ever have....

2 rounds....180+242/2 = 210 yards average.....

With that being said...... I go to a fitting, Hit my 3 wood an average of 230 yards.

Tomorrow I have a round of golf, where my second shot is 210 carry over water..... I know I can hit a 242 yard 3 wood.... and I can also hit a 180 yard 3 wood as hard as I can......

BUT because I average 230 at a fitting.... I am good to go...... guess what @ best my chance to carry the water is 50/50..... Not good chances......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Bump

HOOOOOOOOO...... Yesterday, Freaking smoked a 3wood off the deck......180 yards..... after putting 2 in the water and lying 5.....

Brah I crushed that 3 wood....and I mean I crushed it!! I FREAKING CRUSHED IT.... could not hit it any harder than I could.

HOOOOOOOOOOO...... Hit a frozen rope 3 wood off the deck, 242 to the pin, Par 5 second shot, 8ft from pin, made birdie.

I didnt swing as hard as the one above.... but I made the most solid contact I think I ever have....

With that being said...... I go to a fitting, Hit my 3 wood an average of 230 yards.

Tomorrow I have a round of golf, where my second shot is 210 carry over water..... I know I can hit a 242 yard 3 wood.... and I can also hit a 180 yard 3 wood as hard as I can......

BUT because I average 230 at a fitting.... I am good to go...... guess what @ best my chance to carry the water is 50/50..... Not good chances......

It's great that you know your limitations as a player and I get that what you and pinestreet are trying to tell people to practice good course management by being cognizant of their ability and taking into account the different outcomes when planning a shot. Message received. Broadcast it to the masses.

But the simple fact is, just because you or pinestreet don't consistently hit it 240, does not equate to other people can't do that. So to come on here and tell people they are lying or they are ignorant about their own games, that's bush league. This is a board of people who are golf enthusiasts, who take time out of their day to read about the sport in an effort to improve their game. Part of that is taking advice from people like you who rightly preach effective course management. But it also means that there are many good players on here that no doubt have the ability to hit the ball far (and we now have multiple documented cases of that). So next time we have a distance thread, let's not jump straight to accusing people of lying or calling them ignorant about their game. It's the equivalent of telling somebody they are a bad parent over the internet, except you don't know anything about them. That's why there's a lot of backlash.

Peace brother, hit them long and straight.

Bump

It's great that you know your limitations as a player and I get that what you and pinestreet are trying to tell people to practice good course management by being cognizant of their ability and taking into account the different outcomes when planning a shot. Message received. Broadcast it to the masses.

But the simple fact is, just because you or pinestreet don't consistently hit it 240, does not equate to other people can't do that. So to come on here and tell people they are lying or they are ignorant about their own games, that's bush league. This is a board of people who are golf enthusiasts, who take time out of their day to read about the sport in an effort to improve their game. Part of that is taking advice from people like you who rightly preach effective course management. But it also means that there are many good players on here that no doubt have the ability to hit the ball far (and we now have multiple documented cases of that). So next time we have a distance thread, let's not jump straight to accusing people of lying or calling them ignorant about their game. It's the equivalent of telling somebody they are a bad parent over the internet, except you don't know anything about them. That's why there's a lot of backlash.

Peace brother, hit them long and straight.

HEHEEH Dont get me wrong..... I kinda stopped....serious post....at about the 8th page.... You see where I come from though, I am no where near Pine's enthusiasm about this topic, BUT it seems you and I see the premise.... Just not the overboard level.

As for telling people what they do an dont do, LOL nahhhh Its not like that.... its more about those that say 16.5* 3 wood going 280 consistently is a little tough to swallow. Or.....300 yards up hill out of the rough..... While its NOT impossible..... just a little hard to believe thats all. If they can do it, HEY more power to them!

Last but not least, out of 100 golfers here..... I dont personally believe 50% of them are confidently accurate about their 3 wood distance (purely stupid opinion), again my example for the hell of it was serious.....180 yards last week as hard as I could hit it, and 242 to 8ft for eagle.....But I would never claim I can hit 242 on a wire....to 8ft ever again.....

Anyways..... Peace to you my friend, all in the spirit of debate and absolutely NO negative malice to anyone here! Much love!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• 4 months later...

Adding a note about 3W now that I've experienced a different type of golf at Bandon Dunes. Home course I'm used to maxing out 3W at about 235. I hit a few 3W at 280ish because of all the roll on the fairway. Almost got me in trouble. It was so neat to play golf where the ball runs on the ground so far.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

My best 3w off the deck was ~280... after cresting a small hill and getting ~40 yards of roll coming down the other side. My legit carry-only for a well-struck 3w from the deck is probably 230-235... but I probably only actually strike it well from the deck 1/3 attempts. As such, it's in the bag for tee use only... and, for the most part, specific to 3-4 holes on my home course.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Adding a note about 3W now that I've experienced a different type of golf at Bandon Dunes. Home course I'm used to maxing out 3W at about 235. I hit a few 3W at 280ish because of all the roll on the fairway. Almost got me in trouble. It was so neat to play golf where the ball runs on the ground so far.

I was playing a links course in the UK a decade or so ago during an extremely dry and hot (by their standards) summer. I'd been just marveling all week at the prodigious (for me) distances I was hitting my driver. By home I consider anything over 200 yards as acceptable distance and will go a month at a time without ever hitting one 220. But on a dried-out, brown links course I can get 50+ yards of roll as long as the ball stays in the short grass.

Anyway, on this day I was getting ready to tee off on a long Par 4 that had a fairway bunker I wanted no part of. So I had my 3-wood in hand but before pulling the trigger I backed off and asked the member I was playing with, "How far to that bunker". He said it was about 265 so I went ahead and hit 3-wood (my 190 club back home). Sure enough when we get there it had stopped about five feet short of the bunker. He asked, "Would you have hit it if I said 260?".

I've made a couple trips over there during droughts like that. After 10-12 rounds in those conditions it's always depressing to get back home and have to gear up to my usual 210-yard drives and hitting 6-irons from 150 yards...

While I hate necroing a post... I got liked and I started reading the post again.

The premise has been stated, But I wanted to point out the "Apples & Oranges" To certain points.

Apples - It is possible for a random player to obtain 280 yards off the deck with a 3 wood.

Oranges - Is it credible to say though that its your "normal" shot? Per the above post. the Player has a 1.44 Smash Average with his 3 wood. While at those swing speeds. they should be seeing 1.47-1.48 if we are talking quality. The fact of the matter is they are looking 3-4mph of ballspeed on the table.... Secondly....and this is the biggest one.... Consistency. 33ft R is the consistency. But the shot grouping 6.9ft R, 77.9ft R, 16.8ft R 1.5ft L, 57.5ft rt. just the first 2 shots you are looking @ 23 yards off line difference.... From first to last shot, its about the same.... So 23 yards or 70ft is a pretty large discrepancy... Heck out of 9 shots, 3 were generally straight. thats a 33.33% Chance, are those good odds?

So Apples SURE you can do it. Oranges - Is it something you would want to "state" you can do? Thats my premise to my useless point.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

While I hate necroing a post... I got liked and I started reading the post again.

The premise has been stated, But I wanted to point out the "Apples & Oranges" To certain points.

Apples - It is possible for a random player to obtain 280 yards off the deck with a 3 wood.

Oranges - Is it credible to say though that its your "normal" shot? Per the above post. the Player has a 1.44 Smash Average with his 3 wood. While at those swing speeds. they should be seeing 1.47-1.48 if we are talking quality. The fact of the matter is they are looking 3-4mph of ballspeed on the table.... Secondly....and this is the biggest one.... Consistency. 33ft R is the consistency. But the shot grouping 6.9ft R, 77.9ft R, 16.8ft R 1.5ft L, 57.5ft rt. just the first 2 shots you are looking @ 23 yards off line difference.... From first to last shot, its about the same.... So 23 yards or 70ft is a pretty large discrepancy... Heck out of 9 shots, 3 were generally straight. thats a 33.33% Chance, are those good odds?

So Apples SURE you can do it. Oranges - Is it something you would want to "state" you can do? Thats my premise to my useless point.

I get what you mean, around 265 is stock yardage for my 3 wood. But the course I played last year was so dry and hard that at times I had 5 wood shots roll out to 325+. It basically made Driver and 3 wood unplayable because you couldn't keep them in play due to the roll out. Driving par 4's with a 5 wood was cool and all, but I'd rather have a reliable yardage with a club any day.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I am in the more normal range of 215-220. As for the 275 plus guys I am sure some are legit. I am sure some are not. That's just the nature of a message board. People who act like there aren't a good percentage that fabricate or exaggerate on these boards then they are fooling themselves. I have played enough golf with various people to know that the distances that some people claim are not seen very regular. As for the guys who claim it but then get super defensive, just post a video. Drop 10 balls hit them consecutively at a measured target in the distance. If you can carry your 3 w 275-300 yards I am sure a lot of people would love to see it. I know if I could do it on average then I would happily show it off as well.

I am in the more normal range of 215-220. As for the 275 plus guys I am sure some are legit. I am sure some are not. That's just the nature of a message board. People who act like there aren't a good percentage that fabricate or exaggerate on these boards then they are fooling themselves. I have played enough golf with various people to know that the distances that some people claim are not seen very regular. As for the guys who claim it but then get super defensive, just post a video. Drop 10 balls hit them consecutively at a measured target in the distance. If you can carry your 3 w 275-300 yards I am sure a lot of people would love to see it. I know if I could do it on average then I would happily show it off as well.

Only issue i have with video being the sole proof is that some guys swing easy and get great chs but some swing hard but do not get the expected chs. What then?

If folks are asking for advice under the false pretense it won't help them one bit. Why not just take their word for it?

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

There is a big difference between averages and yardages. My stock 3 wood swing is about 235 carry (+5 or so yards if it is off a tee). That is on a well struck ball at about 85-90% of max SS.

However, I don't take into account mishits when factoring in my average. I consider myself a decent to above average ball striker. Not great, but serviceable. As a 4.8 cap trending downward. I have played just under 30 rounds this year and follow my yardages and averages very closely with a GPS and a rangefinder. While I don't have exact numbers as I just purchased an Arccos system this week and have only played 1 round so far with it. I do feel like I am not guessing with my numbers.

If I hit 10 balls with my 3 wood 8 will be in that 235 carry range some a bit more, some a bit less, but all close to it. One will fall short around 200 after getting under it and slicing it a bit too much, and one will probably be a top/skull that goes about 150 yards down the fairway. If I use all of those shots, my average distance would be around 223 yards with a 3 wood. However, in no way would I call my 3 wood a 220 club. It is the club I pull out when I want to hit 230+. If I have 220 to a pin on flat ground with no wind, no reasonable shot with a 3 wood would put me anywhere close to the pin. A good shot that is 8/10 results would put me 15 yards past at best, and most likely 20+ after roll.

So, you need to realize that when people call out their averages it is safe to assume they are referring to well struck shots. And it is not unreasonable for them to say that as well.

So i was playing this par 5 the other day where i had a GPS measured 236 to carry a ditch. And i pulled out 3 wood, like a boss mind you, and without a practice swing made what i could only describe as transcendent contact. Right after i hit it my playing partner was like "be enough", and i responded "fool, that's more than enough"....i cleared it by a good 25yds of course, and then strutted to my ball as they played their shots from their layup position, wedged it from greenside to 5 feet, made the birdie, and then kissed my biceps.

This story is 97% true

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

There is a big difference between averages and yardages. My stock 3 wood swing is about 235 carry (+5 or so yards if it is off a tee). That is on a well struck ball at about 85-90% of max SS.

However, I don't take into account mishits when factoring in my average. I consider myself a decent to above average ball striker. Not great, but serviceable. As a 4.8 cap trending downward. I have played just under 30 rounds this year and follow my yardages and averages very closely with a GPS and a rangefinder. While I don't have exact numbers as I just purchased an Arccos system this week and have only played 1 round so far with it. I do feel like I am not guessing with my numbers.

If I hit 10 balls with my 3 wood 8 will be in that 235 carry range some a bit more, some a bit less, but all close to it. One will fall short around 200 after getting under it and slicing it a bit too much, and one will probably be a top/skull that goes about 150 yards down the fairway. If I use all of those shots, my average distance would be around 223 yards with a 3 wood. However, in no way would I call my 3 wood a 220 club. It is the club I pull out when I want to hit 230+. If I have 220 to a pin on flat ground with no wind, no reasonable shot with a 3 wood would put me anywhere close to the pin. A good shot that is 8/10 results would put me 15 yards past at best, and most likely 20+ after roll.

So, you need to realize that when people call out their averages it is safe to assume they are referring to well struck shots. And it is not unreasonable for them to say that as well.

Cant agree with you more! Exactly my point.....Apples and Oranges.... same topic, just different in how one person takes their data and how another takes their data.

Pine and I likely TAKE into account all our shots.... to include the flyers and random missed shots. Why? I am not a pro, and inconsistencies do Show up. I know this for a fact..... so when I factor a potential miss into my choice of club to include the 245 yard 3 wood and the 180 yards 3 wood, it allows me to look at my misses and make the most logical choice.

Par 5 second shot, 180 yards to the front water, 200 to carry water, 220 to front of green..... If I only took my "average" good shots. Them THERE is NO reason for me NOT to go for the green 100% of the time right? Even though 50% of the time I MIGHT hit a missed 180 yard 3 wood. But because I only take my long averages. It means I can do it. does that make sense?

OR if I did take respect of my missed 180 yard 3 wood and a possibility to get wet, I would lay up, in front of the water and take my changes getting up and down?

NOW if it was 220 to front of green and clear, then sure what the heck...... But the point I think PineStreet and I were making. You can take your Long averages but does the shape the way you course manage around. per my 2 examples above... just because you hit it 280, does that mean every 280 opportunity, no matter the danger, you do it. because its 280.

The first 2 pages seem to state 280 was their Average shot, 2 pages later, there started the , I hit it about 220-240 but I have hit 280 or 290 here and there...... logic started to change a little.... Again agreeing with you just putting in some side thoughts!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I agree with Exactice and you for the most part, but there are two issues with this.

First, what is a "well struck" shot? Is a 50 yard slice "well struck", or are you referring to contact issues?

Second, I think what you are saying is completely valid so long as shots that are not well struck are significant anomalies. I said this earlier in the thread, but I play with a guy who played baseball in college at San Diego State. The dude can absolutely crush the ball, but he's about a 17 cap. If you let him throw out his mishits (which are about 60% of his 3 woods off the ground) he's probably around 270. So "throw out his mishits" and he averages 270? That seems a bit silly.

So while I understand the theory of what you are saying, in practice it gets kinda dicey. This is how you end up with 12 caps in this thread claiming they are 25 yards longer with off the deck woods than touring professionals. "Oh no, that was a mishit, that doesn't count." "Oh, that was a mishit too, that doesn't count either" "Oh, no, I hooked that one off a tree so it only went 190. If the woods weren't there, that would have been 260+", etc... etc...

I'm not sure how you can define "mishit" well enough to have "average" have any meaning if you allow them.

That said, your point is well taken. For someone who hits the ball well the vast majority of the time and is rigorous in which swings he throws out, you are correct it is more accurate. The problem is that everyone in this thread has a different definition of mishit.

I can't hit the ball all that far, but I don't mishit it very often (I like to think anyways). I sorta adopt the "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we could all have a picnic" attitude. Count your yardage. Count the number of shots. Divide. That's your average. Either that or tell us in your post what your definition of "mishit" is.

Mine is around 221 (its fallen since this thread!). And I consider myself a decent player. Which is why I found some of the "averages" in this thread silly. In the past month, I've hit two three woods off the deck over 270 yards. Once on 11 at TPC Louisiana, once on 10 at The Bridges in Mississippi. I can hit it that far when there is no trouble and I catch it, but it isn't anywhere *close* to my average.

And before someone jumps on me (Again), average is a word that means something. its not your potential, or your mode, or your median. Its your average. So, if you want to define "mishit" and you don't mishit it much, I'm totally on board with throwing them out. If its like 25% of the shots and you don't define it, I'm going to roll my eyes at your 260 "average".

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

The lower the handicap, the less difference there will be between "true average" and "let me throw out my worst average"

A low single digit doesn't hook many balls dead into the woods during a fitting. So if a 3 handicap tells me they average something i'll give them the benefit of the doubt

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Cant agree with you more! Exactly my point.....Apples and Oranges.... same topic, just different in how one person takes their data and how another takes their data.

Pine and I likely TAKE into account all our shots.... to include the flyers and random missed shots. Why? I am not a pro, and inconsistencies do Show up. I know this for a fact..... so when I factor a potential miss into my choice of club to include the 245 yard 3 wood and the 180 yards 3 wood, it allows me to look at my misses and make the most logical choice.

Par 5 second shot, 180 yards to the front water, 200 to carry water, 220 to front of green..... If I only took my "average" good shots. Them THERE is NO reason for me NOT to go for the green 100% of the time right? Even though 50% of the time I MIGHT hit a missed 180 yard 3 wood. But because I only take my long averages. It means I can do it. does that make sense?

OR if I did take respect of my missed 180 yard 3 wood and a possibility to get wet, I would lay up, in front of the water and take my changes getting up and down?

NOW if it was 220 to front of green and clear, then sure what the heck...... But the point I think PineStreet and I were making. You can take your Long averages but does the shape the way you course manage around. per my 2 examples above... just because you hit it 280, does that mean every 280 opportunity, no matter the danger, you do it. because its 280.

The first 2 pages seem to state 280 was their Average shot, 2 pages later, there started the , I hit it about 220-240 but I have hit 280 or 290 here and there...... logic started to change a little.... Again agreeing with you just putting in some side thoughts!

If you carry the ball 220 on well struck shots and you carry the ball 180 on badly struck ones. If you hit each of those shots 50% of the time respectively, then you should not go for it. However if you were to carry the ball 220 on 80% of your shots and your mishits were a 150 yard top or chunk, then you should go for it even though your average is only 206. It's all about tracking your stats and following them. It is likely that these posters claiming to hit it these distances do not legitimately track their data over the course of several rounds.

Here's the thought experiment. Take the example of a player who carries the ball 220-230 half of the time on well struck shots and 170-180 the other half with a 3 wood. That gives an average of 200 yards. Would you pull out the 3 wood if the middle of the green was 200 yards away? Would you call your 3 wood your 200 yard club?

I agree with Exactice and you for the most part, but there are two issues with this.

First, what is a "well struck" shot? Is a 50 yard slice "well struck", or are you referring to contact issues?

Second, I think what you are saying is completely valid so long as shots that are not well struck are significant anomalies. I said this earlier in the thread, but I play with a guy who played baseball in college at San Diego State. The dude can absolutely crush the ball, but he's about a 17 cap. If you let him throw out his mishits (which are about 60% of his 3 woods off the ground) he's probably around 270. So "throw out his mishits" and he averages 270? That seems a bit silly.

So while I understand the theory of what you are saying, in practice it gets kinda dicey. This is how you end up with 12 caps in this thread claiming they are 25 yards longer with off the deck woods than touring professionals. "Oh no, that was a mishit, that doesn't count." "Oh, that was a mishit too, that doesn't count either" "Oh, no, I hooked that one off a tree so it only went 190. If the woods weren't there, that would have been 260+", etc... etc...

I'm not sure how you can define "mishit" well enough to have "average" have any meaning if you allow them.

Pine, It's pretty obvious I'm not referring to a shot that is out of the center of the face, but 50 yards offline as a well struck shot. It is a ball that is struck well with a good face to path relation. If you're slicing the ball 50 yards offline, or if you're mishitting your 3 wood 50-60% of the time they you should probably stop worrying about the minutiae of how far you hit a ball or how far you average it and go take some lessons. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying you do either of those things)

Still though, my point stands. Ams and pro's alike refer to clubs as a certain yardage. (i.e. my 6 iron is my 185 yard club). That yardage is based on well struck shots. If you are not striking the ball consistently enough to throw out mishits as outliers, then you should stop worrying about this stuff and go take lessons and play until you can. If you don't have the data to actually back up your thoughts, then that can be just as bad.

I think we're pretty much on the same page, with maybe a few disagreements about how to get to that number.

If you carry the ball 220 on well struck shots and you carry the ball 180 on badly struck ones. If you hit each of those shots 50% of the time respectively, then you should not go for it. However if you were to carry the ball 220 on 80% of your shots and your mishits were a 150 yard top or chunk, then you should go for it even though your average is only 206. It's all about tracking your stats and following them. It is likely that these posters claiming to hit it these distances do not legitimately track their data over the course of several rounds.

Here's the thought experiment. Take the example of a player who carries the ball 220-230 half of the time on well struck shots and 170-180 the other half with a 3 wood. That gives an average of 200 yards. Would you pull out the 3 wood if the middle of the green was 200 yards away? Would you call your 3 wood your 200 yard club?

Pine, It's pretty obvious I'm not referring to a shot that is out of the center of the face, but 50 yards offline as a well struck shot. It is a ball that is struck well with a good face to path relation. If you're slicing the ball 50 yards offline, or if you're mishitting your 3 wood 50-60% of the time they you should probably stop worrying about the minutiae of how far you hit a ball or how far you average it and go take some lessons. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying you do either of those things)

Still though, my point stands. Ams and pro's alike refer to clubs as a certain yardage. (i.e. my 6 iron is my 185 yard club). That yardage is based on well struck shots. If you are not striking the ball consistently enough to throw out mishits as outliers, then you should stop worrying about this stuff and go take lessons and play until you can. If you don't have the data to actually back up your thoughts, then that can be just as bad.

I think we're pretty much on the same page, with maybe a few disagreements about how to get to that number.

Uh oh..... I think we are going to rehash a little...

For the LONG sake of argument/discussion, We agree on the major point.....

"it is safe to assume they are referring to well struck shots. And it is not unreasonable for them to say that as well"

With that, i would believe you to have WAY more control with a 6iron to say that thats your 185 yard club. the reason I would say that is, More times than NOT, you have a 185 yard Par 3 that would be able to hit a 30 yard wide green.

let me say this, Lets say there is a 18 hole Par 3, All 280 yard Par 3s...... these people that say they can hit 280 yards with their 3 wood.... would they have a high GIR percentage? When I say high, Generically speaking a 75 average score, has 11-14 GIR a round. (this is like 66% GIR)

People play with approaches that are not anywhere near 280 and hardly hit 11-14 GIR...that is around 66% how can they feel comfortable hitting into something 280 yards out, with a lower percentage of 66% and not take into account their misses is beyond me. BUT again this is just personal on how I take my Data.

Again NO ONE is wrong in how they take their data..... but I would assume they have much more blow up holes, than birdies, going for 2 into short par 5's as short Par 5's that are reachable are never really straight forward eagle holes........ usually doglegs, guarded, tight pins etc....... How do I know this,... personal experiences LOL!.....LOTS of 7,8,9,10 from trying to get on in 2 from 230+ out.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

We're agreeing on the point, but not how we get there. AVerages are different than yardages.

The 6 iron being my 185 club is irrelevant. It was literally just an example of people using verbage.

Someone saying they carry their 3 wood 280 on average is likely not telling the whole truth. That is tour level ball striking. Your point about a course being all 280 yard par 3's is not actually a reasonable example and is not relate-able. You still have not addressed my whole point so I will repeat it once more.

We're agreeing on the point, but not how we get there. AVerages are different than yardages.

The 6 iron being my 185 club is irrelevant. It was literally just an example of people using verbage.

Someone saying they carry their 3 wood 280 on average is likely not telling the whole truth. That is tour level ball striking. Your point about a course being all 280 yard par 3's is not actually a reasonable example and is not relate-able. You still have not addressed my whole point so I will repeat it once more.

NO NO we do agree, trust me LOL... my example was silly... and extreme, but was to point a point out..... how do I say this....while being PC....hmmm..

AR- is point Target - PW-4iron

Tank - Point Area - 7wood - Driver

Pistol - Wedge/putter - Bulls-eye Target

Your driver/woods are basically point area.....to expect to be surgical and consistent like an iron is rather unrealistic. Personally how I feel.

Then the line gets blended, 50cal Sniper rifle, gets its Fame to be a "Sniper" rifle, buts its real application is in fact a point Area, just like a tank, its not surgical, even though its a big bore "sniper" rifle.... People seem to treat by perception the 3 wood to be surgical like a 6iron.

your example to ME , would depend on the condition...and the risk vs reward....as for calling it a 200 yard wood, a 250 yard wood, honestly. I guess it would be how I felt that day LOL.

Anways.... again..... I would say any club other than a driver that carriers 250.....is just LONG.... and Long in general terms....... not the beast, not the tour caliber, Im just talking everyday normal golfers I would meet at my local course. 280 with a 3 wood..... is insane long, while not impossible not as common as it would seem.....(all assuming that is)

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"