2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

3w distance off the fairway

baller4opca

Off the tee I've seen 270+carry. These are range balls in the video which as you know you will see better performance in general from a premium ball (I play ProV1's). I'm aware I have higher than average swing speed and am longer than MOST amateurs. For reference, the same session I was swinging 3w, I also recorded a driver carrying 292 which would usually roll to the 315 range or more. I generally have no problem hitting 3w from 250. My swing doesn't change much from range to course, if anything, it improves going to the course for me because there's more focus and I'm not just beating balls.

I'm not sure if I buy that you improve your ball striking from the range to course (few do, but its possible), but if your average is, in fact, these numbers, then you are an incredible ball striker. Congrats. In this post, though, you are saying the word "can" a whole lot. I can also hit a 3 wood 277 (and have done it in the last month) but it is nowhere close to my average. I usually don't have far enough into the green to get my average high

enough to be over 250. In fact, there is only one hole at my local (maybe two, if I don't catch it off the tee) where I need a 260 yard shot. Its very difficult to have an average in-play three wood that long.

For the last time, I'm not arguing that people can't do it. I'm arguing they don't, on average. However, if you do - and that range session certainly shows you have the potential - congrats and good work! Another earlier in the thread (a +2) also posted a similar video. I believe him. Three people got really mad and said they would post videos then - surprise - disappeared.

I'm not saying everyone in this thread is full of it, just some (And probably most).

I will pull 3w out with anything over 235yards. Under 235 I will hit 3hybrid or 2iron depending on which of those I have in the bag. I usually see 240+carry and roll out over 265-270 with occasions rolling out past 290 off the deck. Off the tee I've seen 270+carry. These are range balls in the video which as you know you will see better performance in general from a premium ball (I play ProV1's). I'm aware I have higher than average swing speed and am longer than MOST amateurs. For reference, the same session I was swinging 3w, I also recorded a driver carrying 292 which would usually roll to the 315 range or more. I generally have no problem hitting 3w from 250. My swing doesn't change much from range to course, if anything, it improves going to the course for me because there's more focus and I'm not just beating balls.

Yes but are you counting the times that you hit a ball, it flies into a bird that happens to be flying over the course, and then drops like 15 yards in front of you? That counts as 15yds and MUST be counted into your average. Killing a bird is something that you have to factor in that's what people don't understand.

What about the times that you swing the club, and the shaft breaks during your backswing and the head flies off the club. That counts as zero buddy. Zero! Factor that into your average.

Also you have to factor in your practice swings. If you take 5 practice swings, and then hit the ball 280. The 5 practice swings count as zero each since technically that's how far you hit a ball on those swings. So 280/6 = 46yds. You only AVERAGE 46yds

Also when you swing a club in front of a mirror in your house those also count as zero and must be factored into your AVERAGE

Nice. Yep, around 28 out of 41 posters in a random internet thread average better than a tour pro off the deck with a wood and I'm the one being ridiculous.

This thread was dead for a reason (and all these points were already made). There are amateurs who can hit it a long way. There are very few who both have the skill and play long enough courses to do it on average in actual play. "Very few" is not a synonym for "all", but I don't believe roughly 65% of the respondents in this thread are better that touring professionals with a wood off the deck. Obviously some do. That doesn't mean the poster above isn't, it means most of the people in this thread arn't. I don't know which is which, obviously, but I know that most are full of it.

It's not a random thread. It's a thread that we know will appeal to guys who hit it far.

If you start a thread on a general car forum titled "how fast does your car do the quarter mile" my guess is most of the respondents will have fast cars. Some guy who owns a buick encore isn't going to post that he can do it in 18 seconds.

I have no doubt you are right about averages being exaggerated for the reasons you suggest. But it's 20+ pages of this. And I would imagine the people posting in this thread are long hitters, because this thread is an opportunity for long hitters to boast a bit

*sighs*

This has also been discussed, at length. Being a "long hitter" doesn't have all that much to do with carry off the deck. Optimal impact does. No doubt a bunch of people can swing a 3 wood quickly around their body. Doubt they can achieve impact that good on average. My objection isn't based in speed. It's based in the repeatability of translating that speed into carry over and over rather than a lower ball flight some/most of the time.

You basically just posted in a 20+ page thread to complain that people are posting in a 20+ page thread.

I agree with this whole post and if I was talking about off of a tee(much easier to translate speed to carry), maximum carry (what's your best one out of 5?) or total distance (you could line drive it) you'd be right - tons of people could do it. Carry average (i.e. Repeated optimal launch conditions at extremely high speed during actual play and not just perfect range lies) is its own beast. These people don't come anywhere near this for average carry in play. Again, my objection (and for 20 pages I got "But there are people who swing fast pine!!!") is NOT speed. Off a tee? Agree. Off the deck max? Agree. Of the deck total distance? Agree. Off the deck carry average? No chance. Its too hard. And it has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with quality mechanics at top speed using a 43.5" shaft and 14-15* of loft.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I did it twice the weekend ... w two different clubs. ... apologies

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

And it has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with quality mechanics at top speed using a 43.5" shaft and 14-15* of loft.

I'm just going to cherry pick this part.... I use a 43" 3w and 13.5* loft....and its a Titleist so it HAS to be shorter than a TM or Callaway 3w.... right? and I still swing it over 110mph and carry it better than 250 fairly consistent off the deck, most better than 260. shot even par on a 6900yd track yesterday too...

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

And it has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with quality mechanics at top speed using a 43.5" shaft and 14-15* of loft.

I'm just going to cherry pick this part.... I use a 43" 3w and 13.5* loft....and its a Titleist so it HAS to be shorter than a TM or Callaway 3w.... right? and I still swing it over 110mph and carry it better than 250 fairly consistent off the deck, most better than 260. shot even par on a 6900yd track yesterday too...

Congrats on the good round. I have no idea why you brought up OEMs. "Fairly consistent" != average.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

My new 3hl is 43 5/8" ...

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Im reading again and I see why we are all "Stubborn Headed" and stuck in our ways.

Example 1 - 10 shots.... 7/10 are all decent shots straight, 260 average carry..... 1/10 was a duffer- 180, 2/10 were less than optimal probably about 220 weak slices.

Golfer 1 - Average player, states their 3 wood average carry is 260. FAIR assessment, based on their average throwing out the lows....260 is fair. IF they have a 2nd shot in to a Par 5 that is 245 carry.... it makes sense that they would go for it 100% regardless of how the hole is setup, because they feel they can average 260 carry. Likely what many people take their averages from

Golfer 2 - Quality player, 9/10 260 carry straight, one weak shot maybe 230. Their average is 260 as well... but what makes the difference between Golfer #1 & #2? likely out comes of average per 245 carry attempt on Course...

(Golfer 2 will likely score better on average than Golfer 1 due to consistency)

Golfer 3 - Average player (like myself) Same situation as Golfer 1, BUT, I take into account my missed shots 180 duff and 2, 220 weak slices. This then applies to how I look at any shot that is 245 carry.... if its straight forward no danger, I will go for it, BUT and this is a huge but, if there is any danger, within, 180 yards carry..... or danger right due to my weak slices.... I will in fact layup. (I dont hit those distances just using it as an example)

Golfer 3 is an average player BUT will likely score better due to educated choices over Golfer 1 because they do NOT ignore their low quality strikes. They do NOT equate their Total distance by throwing out the lows..... This allows me to score better... with respect to my ACTUAL capabilities. That 66.6% I hit a good strike.... so its better for me to hit a layup in to a danger hole)

Finally..... and this has been brought up and ignored....because it makes sense.... Its easy to get an average on the range..... but really how often does one actually hit a 3wood on the course, off the deck, in comparisons to their sand wedge...or 7 iron...

Example;

Throw out the Range and take notes of your last 10 rounds and your actual strikes with the 3 wood ON Course...I can guarantee your outcomes are nothing like what they are on the range?

I know I can got 7/10 good 3 wood strikes on the range......

I assume that my last 10 strikes ON course on demand were closer to 4/10 good strikes and 6/10 were not so good or just terrible.....

So again... agree to disagree is fine.....again Pine and I and some others....are not trying to discredit the ability..... but in our Stubborn way trying to actually HELP if you are not already aware of the possibilities that you are leaving strokes on the table, by negligence, rather than lack of skill.... taking into account the "loose" shots..... are important as well as your 300 yard up hill out of rough 3 wood...

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

That is almost exactly what I said a few pages back. And you put it very well.

I think the disagreement, and part of pines point is that if you call something your average, that means the total of all attempts divided by the number of said attempts is your average. Average is a mathematical equation that is not up for interpretation. So, golfer 1 can call his average 260 all he wants, but his actual average is 244 yards. That is not up for debate. Unless you want to undo hundreds of years of math and history, that is literally what average means.

If golfer 1 wants to say his 3 wood is a club he expects to carry 260 then that is totally fine because he hits his good shots 260 yards. If he has a 240 carry, he is well within his means to pull out the 3 wood if he wants. But to say his average is 260 is likely off. That means he hits 10/10 shots 260 yards; or 5/10 250 and 5/10 270 carry.

The longest I have it a fairway wood off the deck was 290. I was playing on a hot humid day. It is one of the greatest shot I have ever hit. I swung out of my shoes and flushed it.

I played yesterday and hit my cobra baffler, set at 17.5, around 240 yards. That is about the normal distance I can hit a fairway wood. 240-250 depending on the weather conditions.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I think the disagreement, and part of pines point is that if you call something your average, that means the total of all attempts divided by the number of said attempts is your average. Average is a mathematical equation that is not up for interpretation. So, golfer 1 can call his average 260 all he wants, but his actual average is 244 yards. That is not up for debate. Unless you want to undo hundreds of years of math and history, that is literally what average means.

If golfer 1 wants to say his 3 wood is a club he expects to carry 260 then that is totally fine because he hits his good shots 260 yards. If he has a 240 carry, he is well within his means to pull out the 3 wood if he wants. But to say his average is 260 is likely off. That means he hits 10/10 shots 260 yards; or 5/10 250 and 5/10 270 carry.

Exactly, except if you read back through the thread everyone throws out their "duffs" and "mishits" but nobody throws out the big ones that they caught on the screws. I have no issue with throwing out the bad ones if you also throw out the extremely, out of range good ones. But nobody does that. The result is throwing out the worst but keeping the best and having a seriously skewed view of consistency (not top end, consistently).

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Exactly, except if you read back through the thread everyone throws out their "duffs" and "mishits" but nobody throws out the big ones that they caught on the screws. I have no issue with throwing out the bad ones if you also throw out the extremely, out of range good ones. But nobody does that. The result is throwing out the worst but keeping the best and having a seriously skewed view of consistency (not top end, consistently).

Bingo! I am glad at least 3 solid people get our point. While I can see the misunderstanding.... the humor is that we are looking at it through a different lens.... Yet......we are thought as disrespecting and discrediting those that can actually do it...... No we are not, we are just hoping that you would see it objectively so you can make the best decisions on the course to shoot the lowest score you can.

I KNOW for a fact, once I took these things into account, I shot better......because I played realistically withing my abilities.....again THIS IS not saying you currently are NOT.... I am just saying looking at all things objectively are YOU (random person) looking at it from all angles fairly....thats it......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I like 3 wood off the deck. I play a 913 15*. I like the smaller head on it, I like it on the tee as well.

My problem is 2 fold in that, I always opt course management and a approach with wedge over dice roll of how the green complex treats whatever I toss at it, and not sure if it has been brought up, but I struggle flighting my 3 wood off the deck. I hit it well which for me is 235-250 but 240 on a rope is no good at most greens, and I just can't seem to find consistency in the ones that fly like it does off the tee. So usually I use it after a bad drive on par 5s or long par 5s. If I have 240 in, I almost always opt to hit 6-8 iron to an angle at it and take my chances with that over whatever trap I throw a 3 wood at

Saturday I had 246 to the green and it took a clean hit to get there. IMO 240 or so consistently is really good off the deck for a fairway wood.

Nice hit.

246 carry off the deck consistently isn't just really good, it's world-class.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Is it really that hard to believe people can hit 3 wood off the deck that far? I carry 3 wood 250-265 off the tee at sea level. Last winter i was playing a course and hit a drive 265 ish on a par 5. I had 260 left from the fairway and hit it on with 3 wood. i hit at best off the deck 245 But dont have the consistency to do so all the time. Driver swing speed in the 112 area.

Is it really that hard to believe people can hit 3 wood off the deck that far? I carry 3 wood 250-265 off the tee at sea level. Last winter i was playing a course and hit a drive 265 ish on a par 5. I had 260 left from the fairway and hit it on with 3 wood. i hit at best off the deck 245 But dont have the consistency to do so all the time. Driver swing speed in the 112 area.

Its not hard to believe they can do it once in a while, maybe even often. Its incredibly hard to believe its their average.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Stock tee shot or off the deck is usually about 240 carry 250 total. If I absolutely feel the need to crank one, I can get it out there about 270, but I lose a lot of control. I've also noticed there's not too many places I play where a 270y shot off the deck is required, so I'm slowly getting worse at playing it when I do need it

On a stock 3w (set at 14.5*) off the ground, on good contact, I get approximately 230 carry. That is what I expect to get every time I address the ball with one of these shots. My average does not matter. Sure, if you want your true average, you can just figure it. But if my average 3w shot is 210 because I put in all those times I tried to hit it off of questionable lies and was unsuccessful. Then when I hit the good shot, I fly the green! In that situation, my average has hurt me, not helped me. I played with PSG last week and hit 3ws as second shots on 3 of the 4 par 5s. Those 3, I knew I couldn't reach, however, the one I COULD reach, I laid up due to the fact that it was a small island green! After the layup, I dropped another ball just to give it a try. The shot was 215 into the breeze (maybe 10 mph max) and I elected to hit a fade which should put me at the right distance. I hit it clean and well, but over-calculated the amount the wind would affect the fade and missed slightly right. Distance was good however. Had I based my decision on my average 3w distance, even if I had the right line I would have hit the back of the green and bounced into the lake. So, IMHO, the only good knowing your average distance with a 3w does is let you know how well you're hitting your 3w.

Taking all that into account (and I've said this many times before in other discussions), I only use my 3w off the deck (never use a tee), even on the teeing ground. My reasoning for this is because I want to ALWAYS be comfortable hitting it that way. I NEVER want doubt creeping into my mind because I'm suddenly faced with a "3w off the deck" shot. It's just a normal 3w. All the time I get "Holy Crap! How do you hit that 3w so well and not use a tee". I just say because that's the only way I hit it. Yeah, sure, I could probably get a little more distance using a tee. But then, I can just use a driver if I want to hit off a tee and probably get even more distance. I'm not saying that's gonna work for everyone, but if you have issues hitting your FWs off the deck, maybe you should give it a try.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Here's my take. When I think of my average I want it to be what I will get out of a normal, well struck shot (not a duff and also not a completely flushed shot). I truely don't care what my average is factoring in the outliers, because that number won't help me on the course. If I'm faced with a shot into a green with trouble both long and short, I want to know what my most likely distance is. If my one time best shot is 280, I'm not taking on a shot that has to be 280 or I'm in trouble. By the same token, because I flubbed one 170, I'm not taking that club out when faced with a 170 yard shot.

To me, a bit of common sense has to be included when learning your distances, and when you're trying to apply those distances to the course.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2017 at 4:01 AM, pinestreetgolf said:

I've never seen you hit a ball before, so grain of salt. But typically a push off the deck with a wood (or long iron) is due to the right shoulder dropping on the downswing (it opens the face, try it in the air). Given all the trouble short, its possible you are short-arming it with the right side to try to get it airborne. Since you are still turning at the same speed you won't lose distance but you won't release. A sign this is going on is that in your finish the shaft is more vertical than usual. One of my favorite swing thoughts with a wood off the deck is to swing like a baseball bat over the top of it as a warmup swing and then just drop that feeling to the ground (you won't actually do it, but it will keep your right shoulder from bailing out low). You don't want to feel like your right side is "swimming" underneath your left. you want to feel that you are simply turning at the same altitude and your right elbow is opening to get the club to the ball. This is an exaggeration to feel the correct move.

Hi, what you’re talking about with the club “finish” being too vertical really seems to be what I’m struggling with in my swing (and have been pretty much since starting golf a year ago). I was hoping you could elaborate on this. I’m updating my swing on my own post if you’d care to check it out. Thanks.

So i kinda have to brag just a little here. I can hit the 3 wood off the deck very well... im by no means a long hitter of any club. 7 iron goes 150. I havent  misshit one shot off the deck the past two seasons and im quiet proud of that. Even if i dont hit my mark im generally around where i want to be. I get on for eagle on par 5s about half the time. My usual shot is 215 to 225 with it and ill use it if i have 215+ with a clear shot toward the green. Must say this story... my longest shot with it though was on a par 5... i hit a nice drive maybe 245... i have 290 left and the hole is just forever away playing longer then it even seems. I pull the 3 wood... i smack it... seems buisness as usual untill i notice... hmm this is going a bit more then usual it seems... hits about 30 yards from the green and rolls on for about a 13 foor putt for eagle. Well... my brother and i could belive are eyes as it was the first and probably last time ill ever do that. Flip side is im horrible off the tee with it.

9 hours ago, Bocaji said:

Hi, what you’re talking about with the club “finish” being too vertical really seems to be what I’m struggling with in my swing (and have been pretty much since starting golf a year ago). I was hoping you could elaborate on this. I’m updating my swing on my own post if you’d care to check it out. Thanks.

Make some slow motion swings... instead of getting too vertical get it a little more flatter at the top. Think more baseball swingish. Also... dont think about holding lag and blah blah.. just play whack the ball... again think baseball. In baseball you dont think about mechanics so much you just swing. Do what feels natural and apply common sense to your swing.

4 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Make some slow motion swings... instead of getting too vertical get it a little more flatter at the top. Think more baseball swingish. Also... dont think about holding lag and blah blah.. just play whack the ball... again think baseball. In baseball you dont think about mechanics so much you just swing. Do what feels natural and apply common sense to your swing.

I feel like I have a lot of lag... I’m not trying to hold it. It just happens I think.. I mean I could be, idk but I’m not trying to “hold lag”.

I do like the idea of slow motion swings, I’ll try that, thanks 🙏🏻.

You think I’m too steep? Is that what you mean by getting it flatter at the top?

5 hours ago, Bocaji said:

I feel like I have a lot of lag... I’m not trying to hold it. It just happens I think.. I mean I could be, idk but I’m not trying to “hold lag”.

I do like the idea of slow motion swings, I’ll try that, thanks 🙏🏻.

You think I’m too steep? Is that what you mean by getting it flatter at the top?

If you have alot of lag or feel it thats fine... just dont ever purposely look for it lol its a swing nightmare. Im not sure how steep you are and each clubs steepness will be different from driver to wedges. Id say as long as your not chunking the ground all the time your steepness should be ok. Your position at the top shouldnt be too much a worry... look at jim furyk or matthew wolf... they are way steep but able to still come into impact the way they want. Id say let your swing be natural just make sure your impact is right. You will know its right when your striking the ball well... you will just know. The face at impact is pretty much all that matters depending on what your trying to do. If your going for straight shots? Straight clubface at impact. Let your body mind and hands react to the ball and where your trying to get it to go. Slow swings will help rehearse this... slow back...slow through... then quicken it up to your liking until it feels good to you and strike the ball. Id do this at the range or home 1st till its natural. Just remember impact is most important and its more similar to baseball then ppl think. Just hit it. Simplify the game as much as you can.

3 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

If you have alot of lag or feel it thats fine... just dont ever purposely look for it lol its a swing nightmare. Im not sure how steep you are and each clubs steepness will be different from driver to wedges. Id say as long as your not chunking the ground all the time your steepness should be ok. Your position at the top shouldnt be too much a worry... look at jim furyk or matthew wolf... they are way steep but able to still come into impact the way they want. Id say let your swing be natural just make sure your impact is right. You will know its right when your striking the ball well... you will just know. The face at impact is pretty much all that matters depending on what your trying to do. If your going for straight shots? Straight clubface at impact. Let your body mind and hands react to the ball and where your trying to get it to go. Slow swings will help rehearse this... slow back...slow through... then quicken it up to your liking until it feels good to you and strike the ball. Id do this at the range or home 1st till its natural. Just remember impact is most important and its more similar to baseball then ppl think. Just hit it. Simplify the game as much as you can.

Yeah really no telling what is causing my vertical finish, pretty sure I’m just not releasing the club. Probably because my body is sliding too much in front, attributing to the chicken wing. I am getting lag (p6 horizontal), taken a lot of videos so for sure I am; but who’s to say I’m not forcing lag, I don’t feel that but it’s possible I guess.  

It’s funny, I used to come from way inside target line, but I had a fully strong grip (wayyyy strong) and changed grip slightly weaker. Now I’m steeper so it’s been difficult to adjust to that. At the same I do feel like I’m understanding how to neutralize my horizontal AoA so that’s nice

I hit my 3 wood about 200 off the deck. Not that much shorter than off a tee.

I use it for longer approach shots that I don't expect to hit the green with (but I have).

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

245-250 off the deck. Off the tee it really depends on how wet it is living in the PACNW it can either plug in the ground or roll 15-20 yards. Id say 260 would be a good average off the tee with it getting closer to 275 in the summer time. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

Love the old debate about yardages. First of all there are tons of guys who absolutely smash the ball. Tons of bad amateurs who swing faster than pros. Most pro golfers aren't great athletes. Obviously swinging fast is not more important than swinging optimally. We all know most amateurs are hacks. Duh.

Also another phenomena with amateurs is, here's an example. They could have 260 yards to a back pin. They hit a 3 wood that barely trinkles on to the front of the green. They are left with a 70 foot putt. So basically they are 25 yards short but they somehow now consider this their 260 yard club when it should be their 235 yard club. I see this all the time.