2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open

azgreg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a ridiculous amount of people to be there for the Pro-Am Day! Every year I think how can the improve on that but they seem to be consistently able to do it.

Looking forward to seeing the golf this week. Solid field. The group with Spieth, Rahm and Fowler will definitely be worth the watching in the early coverage today. It will be interesting to see how Rahm deals with being thrown into one of the marquee groups. I fancy that he will do well with it. Spieth is going to win soon. His two starts this year being 3rd and T3rd would suggest that he isn't far away from picking up another win.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Phil has been playing solid golf of late. He's scoring well. If he tightens it up just a bit this week, look out. A hot start would be nice.

Usually, when guys get hot they ride the wave for at least two or three weeks. Jon Rahm has it going.

Jordan Spieth really needs a good week. I'd love to see him in the hunt Sunday.

Spieth had been playing well, but that 4 putt really hurt him. He shouldn't have tried to tap in that third putt so quickly.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Anyone know why Pat Perez WD'd?

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

Already sick of the drunks and it isn't through the 1st round yet. They have been showing replays of them throwing beer cans etc on the green during play. What an example to set . Good job pga. A tournament that isn't fit for kids to watch. Wth.

Im no prude but come on , doesn't this kind of crap reek of whoring out the spirit of the game for profit ? So we do not care anymore ? Is this the " grow the game "they keep talking about ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Already sick of the drunks and it isn't through the 1st round yet. They have been showing replays of them throwing beer cans etc on the green during play. What an example to set . Good job pga. A tournament that isn't fit for kids to watch. Wth.

Im no prude but come on , doesn't this kind of crap reek of whoring out the spirit of the game for profit ? So we do not care anymore ? Is this the " grow the game "they keep talking about ?

Awe, seriously? I went back in 2013 and it was awesome. $5 Long Islands and all the ASU girls out in sundresses. Yeah it was louder and more ruckus than normal, but not flat out disrespecting the game. Sad if that's what the WM has devolved into.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Notable players:

• Americans: Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickelson, Matt Kucha, Ryan Moore, J.B. Holmes, Daniel Berger, Kevin Chappell, Scott Piercy, Zach Johnson, Kevin Na, Chris Kirk, Billy Horschel, Steve Stricker, Hunter Mahan...
  • Europeans: Russell Knox, Jon Rahm, Shane Lowry, Luke Donald, Andrew Johnston, Padraig Harrington, Martin Laird, Alex Cejka, Jonas Blixt.
  • Aus / NZ: Marc Leishman, Danny Lee, Rod Pampling, Aaron Baddeley, Matt Jones, Geoff Ogilvy, Greg Chalmers, Steven Bowditch.
  • Asians: Hideki Matsuyama, Ryo Ishikawa, C.T. Pan, Byeong Hun An, Siwoo Kim, K.J. Choi, Sunghoon Kang, Seungyul Noh.
  • Other notable players: Louis Oosthuizen, Adam Hadwin, Mackenzie Hughes,David Hearn, Graham Delaet, Tyrone van Aswegen, Retief Goosen, Nick Taylor
  • Latin Americans: Emiliano Grillo, Fabian Gomez,Camilo Villegas

I agree with the "drunk fan" comments, it is unseemly, particularly for our game. I grin and bear it every year but never enjoy it and I don't enjoy the Golf Channel commentators encouragement of the behavior. Not sure how we can accept the 16th at WM and then expect/demand the cathedral like behavior at Augusta. There are enough contradictions in life without this sort of thing being celebrated.

Take the drunk college boy behavior to another sport.

I agree with the "drunk fan" comments, it is unseemly, particularly for our game. I grin and bear it every year but never enjoy it and I don't enjoy the Golf Channel commentators encouragement of the behavior. Not sure how we can accept the 16th at WM and then expect/demand the cathedral like behavior at Augusta. There are enough contradictions in life without this sort of thing being celebrated.

I don't think its fair to compare the two situations head to head like that. They are so vastly different, besides being professional golf tournaments, the experience and expectations are not the same nor should they be. If you acted like you were at 16 at the WM while at Augusta, you'd not only be starkly out of place but probably removed from the grounds. I don't think we expect people to act the same way Saturday night at the bar as they might Sunday at church, I view these two events in a similar fashion. You don't have to like the scene at 16 at WM as a golf fan, but it has been accepted by fans and most players and I don't expect it going away anytime soon.

I don't think its fair to compare the two situations head to head like that. They are so vastly different, besides being professional golf tournaments, the experience and expectations are not the same nor should they be. If you acted like you were at 16 at the WM while at Augusta, you'd not only be starkly out of place but probably removed from the grounds. I don't think we expect people to act the same way Saturday night at the bar as they might Sunday at church, I view these two events in a similar fashion. You don't have to like the scene at 16 at WM as a golf fan, but it has been accepted by fans and most players and I don't expect it going away anytime soon.

No probably about it. You would be removed. And not only that, if you "owned" those tickets, you would no longer own them. Or if someone else "owned" them, they would no longer own them.

Don't know what 16th hole you're watching but I'm just seeing the usual cheering and heckling. Would have no problem having my 2 young girls in the atmosphere there.

The spirit of the game is different for everyone that plays. To expect everyone to enjoy the same things about golf is kind of short sighted in my opinion. For some people the spirit of golf is having fun with friends, for others it's the integrity of self referring, etc etc.

The 16th hole is the spirit of the waste management open. You know that tuning in.

But I guess every year we do need a few people complaining how making golf exciting for outsiders is just so horrible for our beloved game.

Ah it took a little bit longer than in past years for the blah blah blah drunk fans blah blah blah to start up this year.

It is how we celebrate the end of our long and grueling 14 day winter

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Forecast is going to be PERFECT all week. I expect record crowds. I'm passing on the open this year since I'm kind of spoiled. No corp tent tickets this year for me. As for the boorish behavior. 99% of the crowd follow the rules ...okay maybe 95%. There is always that 1-5% of the crowd that are the idiots. Their behavior is not condoned or allowed. They will be tossed out.

The WM is a unique tournament quite opposite that of the Masters. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than the greatest show on grass. I believe that it generates the most charity $ of all tournaments. People and the players know exactly what to expect there.

There are areas for everyone's taste. You want rowdy ... go to the 16th hole or hang by all the vendors near the practice putting green/range. You want to bring your family .... PLENTY of open space away from the rowdies. The TPC is perfectly set up to accommodate the large crowds.

Unlike Forrest Gump opening a box of chocolates and not knowing what flavor he's going to get. You know exactly what you're going to get at the WM.

I don't expect it to going away either but it is interesting to speculate about how long it might be before this behavior escalates beyond "drunken antics". It doesn't take a tort lawyer to surmise that eventually this hole at this event is going to witness an ugly episode involving fans. Then we'll see how those that allowed this to grow--PGA, Thunderbirds, course management, and the media fare. It's a bad accident waiting to happen.

Just a note here, I'm no blue nose and have had my day in the sun with alcohol years back--I just find the dispensation we give this tournament, this hole, and these fans striking. I don't enjoy it but it obviously IT isn't all about me--I'll grin and bear it.

I personnally enjoy the atmosphere at the 16th at the Phoenix Open! It's a fun environment. I'll be at hole 16 if I can get down there early enough Saturday morning. I've got my tickets for Fri/Sat/Sun & can't wait. Anyone happen to know how early you need to show up to get onto the 16 with no (or minimal) waiting in line? Last year it was a grueling 5-6 hour wait in line to get in. And that was getting in line at a little after 8am on Saturday! Can't wait!!

Nik C.

not attacking you personally but....... so its ok to do it if everyone else is doing it???/ I just had this conversation with my 8 year old and had to explain to him why he couldnt do something even though it seemed everyone else was.... why? because its isnt correct thinking.. and i certainly cant be a hypocrite and agree with this after preaching to him

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Don't know what 16th hole you're watching but I'm just seeing the usual cheering and heckling. Would have no problem having my 2 young girls in the atmosphere there.

The spirit of the game is different for everyone that plays. To expect everyone to enjoy the same things about golf is kind of short sighted in my opinion. For some people the spirit of golf is having fun with friends, for others it's the integrity of self referring, etc etc.

The 16th hole is the spirit of the waste management open. You know that tuning in.

But I guess every year we do need a few people complaining how making golf exciting for outsiders is just so horrible for our beloved game.

you should go back and watch morning drive and golf cenral earlier today... clearly showed highlights of the green being pelted by hundreds of full or unempty beer cans..... this was their example of "how rowdy it gets"..... Im sorry if the truth offends.. but that is no place for anyone under 21 in my opinion and certainly not below 18..... if you wouldnt take your girls to a bar on college night then i wouldnt think you would take them there...

as for making it exciting for outsider.... at what cost? The people who act that way in public wouldnt be welcome on my property ...why would i want to be on course with them?

But the truth is alot of them have manners and know how to act...what we are seeing here is the "pack " mentality.... a dog is smart....a pack of dogs are dumb and dangerous..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

not attacking you personally but....... so its ok to do it if everyone else is doing it???/ I just had this conversation with my 8 year old and had to explain to him why he couldnt do something even though it seemed everyone else was.... why? because its isnt correct thinking.. and i certainly cant be a hypocrite and agree with this after preaching to him

I think its perfectly okay ***given the circumstances and expectations that people have for this event and this hole in particular*** Is it ok to be drunk at a bar on Saturday night? Sure. Is it ok to be drunk at 10 am on Tuesday at work? Of course not. You can't apply the same blanket expectations to every situation or every tournament. This obviously only goes so far as to the typical rowdiness, I would never condone people throwing things on the green etc. I think the question is really about managing expectations, and I don't buy the "its a golf tournament, it should be like every other tournament" argument. If the Tour and the players had a problem with it they would make it go away. I think the fact that they actively participate and interact with the rowdy fans speaks volumes.

Matt Every and Andrew Loupe at the bottom. Very nice.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

I think its perfectly okay ***given the circumstances and expectations that people have for this event and this hole in particular*** Is it ok to be drunk at a bar on Saturday night? Sure. Is it ok to be drunk at 10 am on Tuesday at work? Of course not. You can't apply the same blanket expectations to every situation or every tournament. This obviously only goes so far as to the typical rowdiness, I would never condone people throwing things on the green etc. I think the question is really about managing expectations, and I don't buy the "its a golf tournament, it should be like every other tournament" argument. If the Tour and the players had a problem with it they would make it go away. I think the fact that they actively participate and interact with the rowdy fans speaks volumes.

sure on face value i agree with you... it isnt the stadium or the crowds ...but its the expectation of it turning into a Frat party by sunday... if the atmosphere were like today all week you wouldnt hear me or anyone else complain.... we would just say "it is what it is..not my cup of tea but ok one week we will live"... But by the time sunday comes around if i were a player i would feel like i needed a pistol in my bag and a shank in my pocket .... IN THE WORDS OF DAMON ....'in case some sh!t pops off " ....after all when you enter soemthing that sounds like a prison riot you would think you would want to be prepared....

but seriously ..if they escorted the out of controllers out and kept "IT" in the stands there wouldnt be a gripe....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Im just going to copy and paste my comment from last year so next year I can come and copy and past this into the 2018 version of this topic

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

Just like clockwork every single year during PHX Open this thread pops up

16 is great for the game.

You won't hear the crowd on 16 yelling BabbaBoey etc.

They know players info DOB college dogs names etc. The fans come prepared.

It is such a cool atmosphere to be around.

Are there people who get too drunk sure but that also happens at many other tour events.

With the majors being an exception golf needs more fun. The stadium hole idea is a good one and now expanding to 17.

Fwiw I'm from the no music blasting on the course crowd and i still think 16 at Scottsdale is awesome

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]