2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open

azgreg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking was a definite issue at Ryder Cup this year, not on magnitude with Phoenix. It's not going away and doesn't affect me, it's the stuff it has spawned at other events that is becoming a problem. If the players can't get the Tour to do more at those events I guess that doesn't affect me either and its their ultimate problem. Not thrilled with the incidents, though.

I am in town for a bachelor party and headed to 16 for Saturday. I just want to see the golf up close and personal, and see what the atmosphere is like. Problem is that some people are telling us the we need to be there at 630AM to get seats by the green. I have a big group of about 16 people (I know, what a coincidence), but do we really need to be there that early?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whats the deal with the lame crowds on 16? Sure they seem to be a little more fired up today, but yesterday was so quiet.

I don't encourage the drunken idiots, but comman man, this is Pheonix Open on 16, Im ok with that. Maybe they are waiting until the weekend?

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

Horrible finish to his round from Spieth, just when a birdie or two would have put him right up there he misses good chances on 15, 16 and 17 and then dunks one in the water on 18.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He isn't playing well, but would've been nice to see Beef on the tv coverage.

Count me in as a fan of the 16th. Whether the elitism will allow you to believe it or not, that's growing the game. Quite a few of my college friends who never golfed until they started watching when they lived with me and I had it on tv love it. That's the type of fun that golf needs to grow in popularity.

Why does not liking drunken idiotic behavior have to labeled " elitism" I have previously said most are likely professionals etc and know how to act. Folks that surely fall into the elitism category far better than my blue collar self.

And as for growing the game. Why does growth have to equal change ? Why couldn't folks acclimate themselves to golf as it is if they want to play ? Why change what your trying to grow ? And if it will not grow as is maybe it's fine being left alone. It's never going to die completely. The bloat will go away but so will the people who aren't truly fans of the game.

First tee is a great example of how to grow the game properly. 16 at Scottsdale is just an example of the fact that people will do anything for a buck. It's isn't growing a thing. Except sponsors wallets.

I worked for First Tee the past two summers and taught clinics to groups of kids as part of it. I assure you these "drunks" are doing more to grow the game than the First Tee, as sad as it is whether we like it or not. Most of the kids I got at the First Tee were just there because their parents wanted them to be. Very few cared, sadly.

Meanwhile, again whether we/you like it or not, a majority of golfers are not like us here on GolfWRX. Go to a random public county course on a Saturday afternoon in the summer and see what type of people are there.

Growth has to equal change when golf is and has been seen as a closed off game of elitists and when participation and sales have been going down. Adapt or die, it's that simple. This is why the PGA doesn't care. You're right, it is about money. And when a hole and tournament looks as fun as TPC Scottsdale and more people feel like they belong as a golf fan and eventually a golfer, the game grows, courses and companies make more money, and guys like us here at GolfWRX have more companies and courses in business to choose from.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

Count me in as a fan of the 16th. Whether the elitism will allow you to believe it or not, that's growing the game. Quite a few of my college friends who never golfed until they started watching when they lived with me and I had it on tv love it. That's the type of fun that golf needs to grow in popularity.

Why does not liking drunken idiotic behavior have to labeled " elitism" I have previously said most are likely professionals etc and know how to act. Folks that surely fall into the elitism category far better than my blue collar self.

And as for growing the game. Why does growth have to equal change ? Why couldn't folks acclimate themselves to golf as it is if they want to play ? Why change what your trying to grow ? And if it will not grow as is maybe it's fine being left alone. It's never going to die completely. The bloat will go away but so will the people who aren't truly fans of the game.

First tee is a great example of how to grow the game properly. 16 at Scottsdale is just an example of the fact that people will do anything for a buck. It's isn't growing a thing. Except sponsors wallets.

I worked for First Tee the past two summers and taught clinics to groups of kids as part of it. I assure you these "drunks" are doing more to grow the game than the First Tee, as sad as it is whether we like it or not. Most of the kids I got at the First Tee were just there because their parents wanted them to be. Very few cared, sadly.

Meanwhile, again whether we/you like it or not, a majority of golfers are not like us here on GolfWRX. Go to a random public county course on a Saturday afternoon in the summer and see what type of people are there.

Growth has to equal change when golf is and has been seen as a closed off game of elitists and when participation and sales have been going down. Adapt or die, it's that simple. This is why the PGA doesn't care. You're right, it is about money. And when a hole and tournament looks as fun as TPC Scottsdale and more people feel like they belong as a golf fan and eventually a golfer, the game grows, courses and companies make more money, and guys like us here at GolfWRX have more companies and courses in business to choose from.

Bullsh$t. Drunks on one hole in Phoenix are doing nothing to grow the game of golf. First Tee and other initiatives do plenty of good work, your particular situation shouldn't be generalized across the entire country. Plenty of mentors out there reaching kids and meeting challenges.

For golf to thrive in the future it will take a tournament or 2 with these elements to get the crowds involved. It's good for the sport

No

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Bullsh$t. Drunks on one hole in Phoenix are doing nothing to grow the game of golf. First Tee and other initiatives do plenty of good work, your particular situation shouldn't be generalized across the entire country. Plenty of mentors out there reaching kids and meeting challenges.

Agree to disagree then. Not to say it's any more than a microscopic sample size but I did First Tee events all over NJ and a little bit of NY and rarely saw a group where the majority of kids was very interested,

Meanwhile, again just personally, I grew up in middle school and high school being the only one of my friends who played and watched golf. Now, I have a ton of friends who play and almost all have been turned onto it from seeing highlights on Sportscenter with SVP and watching tournaments like the Ryder Cup with a party atmosphere.

I know a ton of golf old timers don't want to accept it, but it's the truth, at least of the 18-30 age group, who is the future.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

i work with my local first Tee as well and i have to call bullxxxx as well... maybe your chapter needs a rework? Ours is active in 12 elementary schools in the area ....hosts tournamenst all summer and even hosts 2 area county am tournaments that winners qualify for he state am.... They generate alot of money to throw back into getting ids into the game and learning the right way.... the idea that a large percentage of the drunks money is going to growing the game is a farse... since when are these tournaments a non profit venture?

and lastly you insinuate that i am a member of a posh private club and am out of touch with the "muni" atmosphere... WRONG.. Im a member of a semi- private golf club... no dining facilities no tennis, no pool.... GOLF.... Our membership includes everything including local farmers, the town Veternarian, several mechanics, a guy who owns a lawncare business, as well as 2 PGA master instructors , one who has coached a son to the PGA tour currently , and that son and one other current PGA member are alos members...They are local residents and regular people.... ...But get this... Denim is allowed and seen every day ... thats how public it is.... so to say im elitist and/or out of touch with the regular joe is just incorrect...Its as blue collar as can be .... Heck i played behind a guy with a full leather Dale Earnhardt jacket and jeans on two sundays ago... had a marlboro hanging out of his mouth the whole time... My point is golf is as big as it will be... we can only hope to retain the same size.. older players die off and younger ones take it up.... the percentage of drunk 30-50 year olds you get to start the game is always going to be tiny...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I am in town for a bachelor party and headed to 16 for Saturday. I just want to see the golf up close and personal, and see what the atmosphere is like. Problem is that some people are telling us the we need to be there at 630AM to get seats by the green. I have a big group of about 16 people (I know, what a coincidence), but do we really need to be there that early?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Been twice, hung out on 16 with my wife and also buddies. For 16 dudes, 6am should be the latest if you don't want to wait in line for 3 hours

I was on 16 last year Fri/Sat and never experienced anything like it in my life. By far one of the best golf 'experiences' I have ever had. As much as I enjoyed it and can't wait to do it again I think the PGA Tour and the players like that this is a 'one off' event. The Hole 16 'experience' may not grow the game but it certainly brings people to the event that may not otherwise consider attending a golf event. And I for one think that's great for the game of golf.

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

i work with my local first Tee as well and i have to call bullxxxx as well... maybe your chapter needs a rework? Ours is active in 12 elementary schools in the area ....hosts tournamenst all summer and even hosts 2 area county am tournaments that winners qualify for he state am.... They generate alot of money to throw back into getting ids into the game and learning the right way.... the idea that a large percentage of the drunks money is going to growing the game is a farse... since when are these tournaments a non profit venture?

and lastly you insinuate that i am a member of a posh private club and am out of touch with the "muni" atmosphere... WRONG.. Im a member of a semi- private golf club... no dining facilities no tennis, no pool.... GOLF.... Our membership includes everything including local farmers, the town Veternarian, several mechanics, a guy who owns a lawncare business, as well as 2 PGA master instructors , one who has coached a son to the PGA tour currently , and that son and one other current PGA member are alos members...They are local residents and regular people.... ...But get this... Denim is allowed and seen every day ... thats how public it is.... so to say im elitist and/or out of touch with the regular joe is just incorrect...Its as blue collar as can be .... Heck i played behind a guy with a full leather Dale Earnhardt jacket and jeans on two sundays ago... had a marlboro hanging out of his mouth the whole time... My point is golf is as big as it will be... we can only hope to retain the same size.. older players die off and younger ones take it up.... the percentage of drunk 30-50 year olds you get to start the game is always going to be tiny...

Since when are these tournaments a non profit venture? Ummmmmmm....................... PGA Tour is a non profit entity and so are all of the events, donates more to charity than most other sports combined and this week's event in particular will donate about $8 mil to charity.

Since when are these tournaments a non profit venture? Ummmmmmm....................... PGA Tour is a non profit entity and so are all of the events, donates more to charity than most other sports combined and this week's event in particular will donate about $8 mil to charity.

thanks for the correction.. But it brings up another question.. i fthe PGA tour is the Mother Teresa of the sports world then why does the game need to be grown? and how does charitable donations equal more players?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

First Tee is what you make it. And it all starts with making it fun for those so called not interested kids. Its on you to engage them.

I dunno. Not really a concern of mine, and I don't think golf needs more players. You sure seemed to take that fella's post awfully personally though.

yea probably did.... but the combo of insulting the 1st Tee ( great organization in my book) and being called an elitist usually does it for anyone ...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Already sick of the drunks and it isn't through the 1st round yet. They have been showing replays of them throwing beer cans etc on the green during play. What an example to set . Good job pga. A tournament that isn't fit for kids to watch. Wth.

Don't know what 16th hole you're watching but I'm just seeing the usual cheering and heckling. Would have no problem having my 2 young girls in the atmosphere there.

you should go back and watch morning drive and golf cenral earlier today... clearly showed highlights of the green being pelted by hundreds of full or unempty beer cans..... this was their example of "how rowdy it gets".....

Morning Drive and Golf Central aired before today's round started. Nobody is throwing beer cans on the green today, The only time it happened that I know of, was when Tiger made a hole-in-one. This is not TYPICAL. Throwing anything will get you tossed.

If it's an example of anything, it is an example of MEDIA sensationalizing a non-story.

Agree to disagree then. Not to say it's any more than a microscopic sample size but I did First Tee events all over NJ and a little bit of NY and rarely saw a group where the majority of kids was very interested,

Meanwhile, again just personally, I grew up in middle school and high school being the only one of my friends who played and watched golf. Now, I have a ton of friends who play and almost all have been turned onto it from seeing highlights on Sportscenter with SVP and watching tournaments like the Ryder Cup with a party atmosphere.

I know a ton of golf old timers don't want to accept it, but it's the truth, at least of the 18-30 age group, who is the future.

Again wrong. 18-30 isn't the future, it's 5-16 and that future is looking better. More kids involved because of Drive Chip & Putt than any partyers, and no question about that. Great that you volunteer, but if you think First Tee and other such opportunities aren't more the future of golf than one party hole at one tournament you need a reset so you can better reach those kids, which I hope you continue to do.

Already sick of the drunks and it isn't through the 1st round yet. They have been showing replays of them throwing beer cans etc on the green during play. What an example to set . Good job pga. A tournament that isn't fit for kids to watch. Wth.

Don't know what 16th hole you're watching but I'm just seeing the usual cheering and heckling. Would have no problem having my 2 young girls in the atmosphere there.

you should go back and watch morning drive and golf cenral earlier today... clearly showed highlights of the green being pelted by hundreds of full or unempty beer cans..... this was their example of "how rowdy it gets".....

Morning Drive and Golf Central aired before today's round started. Nobody is throwing beer cans on the green today, The only time it happened that I know of, was when Tiger made a hole-in-one. This is not TYPICAL. Throwing anything will get you tossed.

If it's an example of anything, it is an example of MEDIA sensationalizing a non-story.

nope...video they showed day 1 was of the 16th with beers raining down from the upper decks.... when tiger made the hole in 1 here was no stadium to speak of...

i agree with you that it isnt everyday , therfore not typical..but it has happened and with little to no ejection.... you couldnt eject 20,000 people without a riot breaking out.... seems ill have to dig up the footage.. this was beer cans covering the green stuff

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock