Hilton Head

bbhockey19

Got a house booked for the family for a week in summer of 2023. Excited. Not playing Harbour Town this trip, have done it 2x and don't feel the need to spend that much too play it again.

Going to try and see if I can get on Chechessee and Secession via some connections. 

Promised my wife I wouldn't play too much golf this trip...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mocokid said:

How is Ian affecting Hilton Head Island?, I'm supposed to go there Monday.

It missed Hilton Head. We had a lot of rain and wind Thursday afternoon into Friday afternoon, but that's all. Beautiful weather is forecast for the next week, 70's and sunny.

• Like 1

We were spared by 50 miles and the Island looks currently like it was barely touched.

All courses are open and ready for play.

• Like 1

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

• 3 weeks later...

Played Cupp course today, 1st round down here this year. Wow. I mean... W-O-W. I've played almost all the publics here and hadn't played Cupp in many years (10) because of the conditions they were in, like, I'd play Pinecrest instead. Now? I'm putting it about equal with Dolphin Head/Oyster Reef (without any view). Still has a *slight* more way to go... a couple greens had a couple SMALL patches of dead area, and the collars had some patches of weeds. and a couple tee boxes are almost there. But really, if you're not LOOKING for them (like I was, to see how well it's come back) you really won't notice. 

That said, it really is in excellent paying condition. Tightish fairways, water protecting a few greens, and the pins were in some challenging positions today, I wonder if left over from this weekends Golf Week Am Tour play? But even after a weekend of AmTour golf, you'd never guess that on the greens/course. They putted wonderfully, true, and with some of the locations/slope... challenging. 

Just gotta keep the ball in play. It's tight. Would play it again. Playing their Arthur Hills course next week. 

Oh, and by the way, since word hasn't yet gotten out about how nice the conditions are, the place was empty. Played in 2.5 hrs, in a relaxing pace. 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 3

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

11 hours ago, Imp said:

Played Cupp course today, 1st round down here this year. Wow. I mean... W-O-W. I've played almost all the publics here and hadn't played Cupp in many years (10) because of the conditions they were in, like, I'd play Pinecrest instead. Now? I'm putting it about equal with Dolphin Head/Oyster Reef (without any view). Still has a *slight* more way to go... a couple greens had a couple SMALL patches of dead area, and the collars had some patches of weeds. and a couple tee boxes are almost there. But really, if you're not LOOKING for them (like I was, to see how well it's come back) you really won't notice. 

That said, it really is in excellent paying condition. Tightish fairways, water protecting a few greens, and the pins were in some challenging positions today, I wonder if left over from this weekends Golf Week Am Tour play? But even after a weekend of AmTour golf, you'd never guess that on the greens/course. They putted wonderfully, true, and with some of the locations/slope... challenging. 

Just gotta keep the ball in play. It's tight. Would play it again. Playing their Arthur Hills course next week. 

Oh, and by the way, since word hasn't yet gotten out about how nice the conditions are, the place was empty. Played in 2.5 hrs, in a relaxing pace. 

Thanks, I think I'm going to head there Friday.

• Like 1

Oh, couple more notes about the Cupp course - the bunkers were OK, not fluffy white sand, but a little firm (which is what I'm kind of used to in new england).  Also, the 3rd hole has been reduced to a par 3 (which they didn't tell me, but not really mad about it...) while they renovate the areas near the tee boxes. So if playing in the morning 8ish tee time, take enough club knowing you'll cover the water on the front right...  or play to the left... the sun will be DIRECTLY in your eyes and you (and people playing with) won't see your ball.

I'm playing the recently re-opened Hills course Monday at 8:30 if anyone wants to join. Wide open again. 

Edited by Imp

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

22 hours ago, Imp said:

i see you have an 8:30 - I booked 8:44 but will PM you about linking up.

Edited by stimpmeterp

Odyssey 7 Bird 

So happy to hear this.  These were two of my favorite tracks on the island and it broke my heart to see them in such lousy condition.   I told my wife that the range at PH was the saddest place in golf!

I will be down January-April and hope to make this my "home course".

Any members know if Brown offers seasonal memberships?   I submitted a question via their website but never heard a word.  

Edited by HackerDave

29 minutes ago, HackerDave said:

So happy to hear this.  These were two of my favorite tracks on the island and it broke my heart to see them in such lousy condition.   I told my wife that the range at PH was the saddest place in golf!

I will be down January-April and hope to make this my "home course".

Any members know if Brown offers seasonal memberships?   I submitted a question via their website but never heard a word.  

I think Brown is only managing Pinecrest and Dolphin Head, well, what used to be Brown, now it's "GreatLife Golf". Other previously Brown courses are all under new different management.

Edited by Imp

31 minutes ago, Imp said:

I think Brown is only managing Pinecrest and Dolphin Head, well, what used to be Brown, now it's "GreatLife Golf". Other previously Brown courses are all under new different management.

Shame on me.  Brown was the previous management company....who might be better suited to managing parking lots.   Heritage is the new company.   My bad.  

I'm just excited to have them back on the rotation.   I love the Sea Pines and Palmetto Dunes courses but they add up when you have no membership status.  

• Like 1

I'll be on HHI for a few days in mid-November and am looking to play three rounds. I was thinking I'd play Old South, HHN and then either Oyster Reef, Golden Bear at Indigo Run, PH - Cupp or PH - Hills. Any of these that you think should be subbed in for Old South or HHN? If not, which of the other four should I try for the third round? 

I live here now and if it were me, I'd go HHN, Oyster and either of the PH courses.  They are back.  Played Hills today and Cupp a couple weeks ago.  They're pure joy.  Hills might be the harder of the two due to the greens.

Can't go wrong with Golden Bear but I'd pick Cupp and Hills over it by a slight margin.

Old South is really a gem but you only need to go off island once and HHN is pure.

Odyssey 7 Bird 

Finally signed in after having been AFK for a few days, busy doing vacation things.

Good meeting and playing a round with you on Monday Stimpmeterp! Had a great time and hope to see you again next year.

We played the new and improved Hill course at Palmetto Hall and had a good time. The recently re-opened Author Hills course is open for play and it felt like we owned the place, no one out there! (We did get stuck behind a foursome, for a few holes on the front, but skipped them on 8, went to 9, finished 10 and then went over to 8 to play it before 11 since there was no one on it).

Word has so far failed to get out that the courses are in great condition otherwise would be seeing more play. Like the Cupp course, Hills is also in great shape with I think more going for it in some challenging back 9 holes.

They've removed quite a few bunkers around the greens (will show bunkers on GPS still) and filled them in with new sod that have taken for the most part but can still see the grids. One or two greens near the fringes still have repairs needed, but shouldn't really be in play for any shots. Greens... I know this is going to be debatable, but Cupp and Hills have some of the best rolling public course greens on the island right now. Hills greens have more tiers than Cupp (and some pin placements were quite funny on Hills),  but overall roll very true and quick, maybe around 11. Not enough to be too fast where a 1% grade would have the ball roll away 30 feet, but get them rolling and they stay on line. Fairways, rough, everything were in great condition. 

I think next time you're looking for a round, give Hills/Cupp a chance. They have brought them back to the conditions before you know who screwed them up. 

While I didn't shoot my best Monday, still had a great time. 

I did play Atlantic Dunes in Sea Pines on Wed. Walked it because cart path only, and shot a personal best ever 1 over 73, even with the overseeding and soggy fairways from over watering.  Played with a couple others that took a cart and I spent a long time waiting for them to cross fairways with a couple clubs... while I was already at my ball. If you ever play Atlantic Dunes or Heron Point, ask for a push cart instead of driving a cart. They have them for use for everyone. 🙂 For 'resort' courses, they are both easily walkable. I think total elevation is like 10 feet. 😉

Edited by Imp

13 hours ago, Imp said:

I know this is going to be debatable, but Cupp and Hills have some of the best rolling public course greens on the island right now. Hills greens have more tiers than Cupp (and some pin placements were quite funny on Hills),  but overall roll very true and quick, maybe around 11. Not enough to be too fast where a 1% grade would have the ball roll away 30 feet, but get them rolling and they stay on line. Fairways, rough, everything were in great condition. 

I think next time you're looking for a round, give Hills/Cupp a chance. They have brought them back to the conditions before you know who screwed them up. 

Would completely agree.  I played Cupp last Friday and the greens were smooth and blazing.  Did not get the chance to get on the Hills but hope to when i come back after Christmas.

Team HHI - this is a good deal if you don't have a South Carolina drivers license for proof of residency and want a great deal on the Cupp Course.  You can buy up to 4.

https://www.groupgolfer.com/deals.php?id=1019490&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=palmetto-hall-country-sc-1019490&utm_content=baseline&fbclid=IwAR1gwjXKjTBpsbyV0yjdZQ_DnvoIiYMHrftRQzFOftXMbUCz12FjStwypsI

• Like 2

Odyssey 7 Bird 

1 hour ago, stimpmeterp said:

Team HHI - this is a good deal if you don't have a South Carolina drivers license for proof of residency and want a great deal on the Cupp Course.  You can buy up to 4.

https://www.groupgolfer.com/deals.php?id=1019490&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=palmetto-hall-country-sc-1019490&utm_content=baseline&fbclid=IwAR1gwjXKjTBpsbyV0yjdZQ_DnvoIiYMHrftRQzFOftXMbUCz12FjStwypsI

Awesome , just bought 2 for me and my friend to use in December.

23 hours ago, Imp said:

Finally signed in after having been AFK for a few days, busy doing vacation things.

Good meeting and playing a round with you on Monday Stimpmeterp! Had a great time and hope to see you again next year.

We played the new and improved Hill course at Palmetto Hall and had a good time. The recently re-opened Author Hills course is open for play and it felt like we owned the place, no one out there!

While I didn't shoot my best Monday, still had a great time. 

I did play Atlantic Dunes in Sea Pines on Wed. Walked it because cart path only, and shot a personal best ever 1 over 73, even with the overseeding and soggy fairways from over watering.  Played with a couple others that took a cart and I spent a long time waiting for them to cross fairways with a couple clubs... while I was already at my ball. If you ever play Atlantic Dunes or Heron Point, ask for a push cart instead of driving a cart. They have them for use for everyone. 🙂 For 'resort' courses, they are both easily walkable. I think total elevation is like 10 feet. 😉

It was fun and we will do it again!

73 at AD is impressive for anyone, even a scratch.  Those last 4 holes are tough and thats an understatement.  15 is always uphill and into wind (not to mention the afternoon sun is blinding); 16 requires either a 225 yard slice off the tee or a 7 iron over the trees just for placement, then a well guarded green; and 17 and 18 are long, tight driving holes with water up both sides (17) and right (18).  Well done @Imp thats got to be a good feeling.  Not to mention many strokes better than our display of golf at PH (well, more my poor display than yours!).

• Like 1

Odyssey 7 Bird 

• 2 weeks later...

Taking my first trip to Hilton Head end of May, renting a house in Sea Pines. I'm playing Harbour Town and Atlantic Dunes, tee times already booked. Very excited. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

1 hour ago, lefty1978 said:

Taking my first trip to Hilton Head end of May, renting a house in Sea Pines. I'm playing Harbour Town and Atlantic Dunes, tee times already booked. Very excited. 

My wife and I were there last month, played all three Sea Pines courses, and the Hills course at Palmetto Dunes. Atlantic Dunes was our favorite. Harbour Town was probably my 2nd favorite, but honestly we enjoyed all 4 courses. Have a great time!

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 8:08 AM, Roody said:

My wife and I were there last month, played all three Sea Pines courses, and the Hills course at Palmetto Dunes. Atlantic Dunes was our favorite. Harbour Town was probably my 2nd favorite, but honestly we enjoyed all 4 courses. Have a great time!

Harbour Town isn't for everybody but it's one of those courses that everyone should play at least once.  It can be a LONG day if you aren't driving the ball well.
I think it has the best Par 3's of any course the PGA plays on all year though.  Fun course to play.

14 hours ago, T-MAC said:

Harbour Town isn't for everybody but it's one of those courses that everyone should play at least once.  It can be a LONG day if you aren't driving the ball well.
I think it has the best Par 3's of any course the PGA plays on all year though.  Fun course to play.

Agree with the sentiment that everyone should play it at least once, as well as the quality of the par 3's. I felt like I needed to cross it off the bucket list, and glad I did. 

As for the par 3's, I want to replay #17 again. I hit my first shot, pulled it just a little and it hit the edge of the sand on the left and careened off into the water. Re-teed, put it to 12 feet, and drained the putt to save bogey. Yet another for the "what if I had done that on the first shot" collection.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

7 hours ago, Roody said:As for the par 3's, I want to replay #17 again. I hit my first shot, pulled it just a little and it hit the edge of the sand on the left and careened off into the water. Re-teed, put it to 12 feet, and drained the putt to save bogey. Yet another for the "what if I had done that on the first shot" collection.

The wind is such a huge factor on 17.  You turn left towards the Calibogue Sound and can have literally any wind any day that changes by minute.  The green is also longer than it is wide and well protected.  Left is dead!  Short is often safe.  I totally understand the desire to want to do 17 over again.  

Same issue for me on 18.  First time I played my forecaddy told me driver was o.k., but I went straight into the second marsh and was dead.  Had I known, it would be 3 metal all day!

• Like 1

Odyssey 7 Bird 

On 11/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, stimpmeterp said:

The wind is such a huge factor on 17.  You turn left towards the Calibogue Sound and can have literally any wind any day that changes by minute.  The green is also longer than it is wide and well protected.  Left is dead!  Short is often safe.  I totally understand the desire to want to do 17 over again.  

Same issue for me on 18.  First time I played my forecaddy told me driver was o.k., but I went straight into the second marsh and was dead.  Had I known, it would be 3 metal all day!

Depends on the wind that day, how long you are and what tees you play but 18 can be a bit@#$h.  It has about the widest fairway you will ever see but, like you said, it runs out on the left and in the center.  If you are long and want to hit driver you definitely need to aim to the right, but then you are flirting with risk/reward.  If you hit a good drive you can have a shorter shot into the green from the right, but if you push it or fade it too much you can go across the cartpath and into the condos.  I've hit everything between 3 hybrid to 9 iron into that green.

It is also worth mentioning again.  Drive it well on Harbor Town or be ready for a long, long day.  Any tee shot off line is going to call for some type of hook / punch / cut to get back in play.  I joke with some local guys that the play on most HT tees is a 225 yard stinger that runs and runs.

Odyssey 7 Bird 

On 11/28/2022 at 7:54 PM, stimpmeterp said:

It is also worth mentioning again.  Drive it well on Harbor Town or be ready for a long, long day.  Any tee shot off line is going to call for some type of hook / punch / cut to get back in play.  I joke with some local guys that the play on most HT tees is a 225 yard stinger that runs and runs.

Isn't that the truth.   I played it once and had no idea where the driver was going.  I have never hit more punch shots from pine straw under trees in my life.  I HATED that course.  Then two years ago I hit all but one fairway (an out of body experience) and never had more fun on a course.   

• Like 1

I've dropped from around a 9 to 14 over the last couple years and it's all ball striking; losing about 2 sleeves per round.  I've probably played HT 10-15 times in my life and the idea of playing there at my current skill level is terrifying.  I feel like I'd be lucky if I had an opportunity to hit 3-4 approach shots to the green without a second shot pitch out.