Best value tour ball right now

kiw1982

It continues to amaze me that one brand or another of slightly cheaper alternative balls (Snell, Vice, MG, the new Oncore) continue to pop up every year or so. They are all contract-made, direct to consumer balls that basically sell for a direct-to-consumer discount on the price of the major name brands.

All that is good but when there is a constant stream of even cheaper balls from the big names available, usually last year's version, it amazes me there's any market for a $33 Oncourse or a $27 Snell or whatever when you can get well-known brands new old stock routinely for $20-$25/dozen.

I guess they must be serving the market of people want to play a brand that's both cheaper and unique among their usual foursome, rather than just shopping for a cheaper price on the same, non-unique Bridgestones or Srixons that everyone else plays.

P.S. Somewhat tangentially, the same thing is going on lately with rangefinders. Every few months there's another start-up brand coming along selling the same array of white-label rangefinders from the same Asian factories. You read the specs on them and they've all got the same features, they're all the same weight and dimensions, only the color and maybe the style of viewfinder reticule differs. And they all sell for more or less the same price, give or take occasional markdowns and sale pricing.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization that IMO, would apply to a tiny percentage of golfers"I guess they must be serving the market of people want to play a brand that's both cheaper and unique among their usual foursome, rather than just shopping for a cheaper price on the same, non-unique Bridgestones or Srixons that everyone else plays."

In particular, most testing bears out claims of superior performance for several balls. Snell is a great example - tests out with top numbers across a wide of handicap/skill levels. Cost wise, if you want to play a performance ball with those kinds of characteristics, it's a great value if you buy six dozen at a time - $26 each, no shipping and orders are processed almost immediately. Can you buy something else that suits your needs for less? Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you like one ball and you can afford it, stick with what you like.

That said - Everybody should play what they like the best and works for them, but I wouldn't be making insinuations about ego based motivations for ball choices and applying them in such a sweeping way. We all know a lot of golfers make ego based choices in equipment that don't work to their game's advantage, but certainly do lighten their wallet and increase their head size!

Ok I left out the possibility that they buy a particular brand because they believe a "test" where someone claims that particular ball is superior in some way to the alternatives. Of course somewhere on the Internet there's a "test" proving anything you care to imagine. One person buys Snells because they "tested" better than Vice while another guy buys Vice because a different "test" showed it better than Snell. Meanwhile some other person buys ProV1x because his own "testing" showed it better than all of the above.

I guess that's why there are so many options--there's not one ball that works for everyone.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local store had Nike Platinum and Black for $4.99 a sleeve. I really have enough balls for about 2 years already, but since I never tried them, I bought some of both.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Something went wrong when I put down my order of 5dz of TM Tour Preferred for a around $30 a dz. Right after I got the confirmation, the website stated that the product wasn't available anymore, so I figured that I got the last in stock. Two days later I got a delivery for the new TP5 instead for the same price. My guess is that the forgot to update their webshop, but that they felt obligated to deliver. Awesome deal really, can´t wait to try them out. So I am not going to be "that guy" who goes to the store and says "hey, the order is messed up - give me my money back" :P

lawsonman wrote: "Snell MTB. Best value in golf. And available when you need some."

This is my philosophy overall, though I settled on the Vice Pro Plus (tried the MTB and it was 2nd on my list, excellent ball). Vice is very competitive at $25/dozen, with tour caliber performance, and available when I need to place my next order. I'm particular and hate switching balls once I get use to how a ball reacts on the greens and being comfortable with the overall performance characteristics.

I've got a big match coming up with this Goldfinger guy next month. I've decided to lay in a supply of 4 piece urethane covered balls. Even with shipping they are cheaper than several pro line balls.

http://penfoldgolf.com/golf-equipment/dual-id-penfold-golf-balls

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

No Wilson Duo Urethane users out there?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Snell my tour ball has got to be at the top of this list. They are amazing performing balls from all aspects!

+1. Great ball at $30/dozen.

Ping G430 10K 9* w/ Ventus Blue Velocore 5R
Ping G430 3W w/ Helium R
Ping G430 5W w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 3 hybrid w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 4 hybrid w/Paderson R
Ping G430 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 7-P, Paderson R shafts

Cleveland CBX2 Zip Core 48*, RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
LAB DF3
TaylorMade SpeedSoft Ink Blue

lawsonman wrote: "Snell MTB. Best value in golf. And available when you need some."

This is my philosophy overall, though I settled on the Vice Pro Plus (tried the MTB and it was 2nd on my list, excellent ball). Vice is very competitive at $25/dozen, with tour caliber performance, and available when I need to place my next order. I'm particular and hate switching balls once I get use to how a ball reacts on the greens and being comfortable with the overall performance characteristics.

I agree I do not like switch the ball.

I gotta try vice also.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

Bridgestone B330 RX from Budget Golf for $20/dozen. They were cheaper a few days ago but still a good deal. https://www.budgetgolf.com/Bridgestone-B330-RX-Bulk-Dozen-Golf-Balls.html

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I absolutely love the Nike RZN Tour Platinum. Dicks currently has them @ 2 dozen for $50 with free shipping. I had bought the last of the sleeves from my local Roger Dunn when they were marked down to $4.99 each. Fell in love with every characteristic of this ball. Only thing I could ask for is a tad more spin around the greens, the ball doesn't rip back like a ProV1 or Vice Pro. Having said that, this ball loves to go high and straight. Feels wonderful off every club, including the putter.

I absolutely love the Nike RZN Tour Platinum. Dicks currently has them @ 2 dozen for $50 with free shipping. I had bought the last of the sleeves from my local Roger Dunn when they were marked down to $4.99 each. Fell in love with every characteristic of this ball. Only thing I could ask for is a tad more spin around the greens, the ball doesn't rip back like a ProV1 or Vice Pro. Having said that, this ball loves to go high and straight. Feels wonderful off every club, including the putter.

I agree, plays great off every club. I played RZN Platinum and the ProV 2015 side by side today and RZN does everything I want. ProV does actually can spin too much for me with the short irons. Hit a few feet from the pin with a 9-iron (front pin) and ball ended up 3 feet off the front of the green.

The RZN for me falls right in between the V and V1x from 2015. Love it!

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I would have to agree with others and state that Snell is a great tour caliber type ball for the money.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I've bought RZN Platinum, Hex Pro, Gamer Tour, and Q-Star Tour all in the $15-$20 range in the last 2 months... maybe it's the KSig Effect, but $20 is now my cap and $15 is my target price for urethane 3+ piece balls. Even spending $20/dozen shipped for the brand new Q-Start was pushing my line, even though it's a brand new (to the US) ball that's been officially on the market for all of 2-3 weeks.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

"Ok I left out the possibility that they buy a particular brand because they believe a "test" where someone claims that particular ball is superior in some way to the alternatives. Of course somewhere on the Internet there's a "test" proving anything you care to imagine. One person buys Snells because they "tested" better than Vice while another guy buys Vice because a different "test" showed it better than Snell. Meanwhile some other person buys ProV1x because his own "testing" showed it better than all of the above. "

Best $30 I spent was taking 5 balls to my fitter and after hitting each ball numerous times, having him tell me which ball had the best carry numbers, trajectory, and spin. Took my on the course guesswork out of it.

Hopefully you mean "5 types of balls" and not that you just hit 5 shots!

I bought some B330 and B330S and was going to stock up on one or the other and use them for the next year or so. After half a dozen rounds of switching between one and the other I could tell zero on-course difference. So I played three rounds with the B330S full time. Then I was going to play three rounds with just the B330.

After three rounds with the B330S and one with the B330 I still could not see or measure any difference but I just happened to make three birdies in the round with the B330 (I'd made one birdie over three rounds combined with the B330S). So that's the one I picked.

Figured it was an omen from the golf gods, trying to tell me "Just pick one or the other and get on with it!". Of course the three birdies happening on the B330 day were pretty much random and nothing to do with the ball. But it was either that or flip a coin.

Hopefully you mean "5 types of balls" and not that you just hit 5 shots!

I bought some B330 and B330S and was going to stock up on one or the other and use them for the next year or so. After half a dozen rounds of switching between one and the other I could tell zero on-course difference. So I played three rounds with the B330S full time. Then I was going to play three rounds with just the B330.

After three rounds with the B330S and one with the B330 I still could not see or measure any difference but I just happened to make three birdies in the round with the B330 (I'd made one birdie over three rounds combined with the B330S). So that's the one I picked.

Figured it was an omen from the golf gods, trying to tell me "Just pick one or the other and get on with it!". Of course the three birdies happening on the B330 day were pretty much random and nothing to do with the ball. But it was either that or flip a coin.

I think that you are referring to the 2014/15 version of those balls...

...because they were, also in my experience (and according some measurements), pretty close.

With the 2016/2017 version, it is a different story...