Callaway Epic Driver buyers. Love it or buyers remorse.

TheMotorCity

How does it stack up forgiveness wise to the G LS Tec? Like someone above said, I need fairways over distance but I HATE the sound and feel of my G. I don't really care for the look at address either.

Th

The LS-Tec is far more forgiving compared to the Epic SZ. I really didn't like the look of the SZ but feel and sound are very good.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that for me the SZ was far too easy to hook and I just couldn't keep it on the fairway so for that reason I sold it.

When I had the Ls-Tec I hit it OK and pretty straight but didn't like the feel and for some reason it just felt like a 'cheap' club and not for me but definitely easier to hit than the Epic SZ.

Many do love it though and if you don't struggle with left then it might be ideal.

I have stuck with the 2016 M2 as I find it ridiculously easy to hit.

That is where people differ. I loved the G LS and thought it was pretty forgiving but the Epic SZ is hands down the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Even when I don't hit it dead nuts, I am not getting punished with distance loss. Throw on top of that how straight the flight is, and how long it goes, and Cally has def knocked it out of the park here with this one.

The worst drivers I have ever hit based on feel, and results are the 2016 M1/M2 drivers. They sound horrible, feel terrible and were just overhyped (to me). I don't ever get on with TM drivers though. I had the 2017 M2 and just sold it yesterday. They just can't keep up distance wise with the Epic.

I agree, everyone is different with drivers.

I haven't hit the 2017 M2 yet but the 2016 M2 is one of the best drivers I have ever hit for feel. Very solid and not too loud. I find it so easy to hit compared to the Epic SZ. I tried about 10 different shafts in the Epic but just couldn't hit the thing straight despite wanting it to be 'the one'.

I never found the Epic to be any longer than other clubs I have tried either but did like the way it felt.

I have a 2017 M1 440 that I love the look and feel of it but it isn't as easy to hit as the 2016 M2 either for me so it is getting binned as well.

It really does come down to trying one for yourself to see what works best because they all are different.

I love the Look of the M1/M2. They are so easy to align at address. I got fit into the M1 last year. Literally made it 3 weeks on course before I went back to the G30.

Bought an M2 later, put my gamer shaft in, set the specs up identical to the G30 and it made it 1 range session. I just couldn't do it. As much as I wanted it to be the one.

This year got fit again into the Epic SZ, on course it, its been performing awesome but ended up with an 2017 M2 in a trade. I tried 3 different shaft combos, moving shafts from teh Epic to the M2, then back trying to get true head to head. Epic won by a landslide to be honest. 2017 M2 put up a good fight and love the graphics, but wasn't close for me in performance. But that is why they make so many different drivers. Not every person is the same!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does it stack up forgiveness wise to the G LS Tec? Like someone above said, I need fairways over distance but I HATE the sound and feel of my G. I don't really care for the look at address either.

Th

The LS-Tec is far more forgiving compared to the Epic SZ. I really didn't like the look of the SZ but feel and sound are very good.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that for me the SZ was far too easy to hook and I just couldn't keep it on the fairway so for that reason I sold it.

When I had the Ls-Tec I hit it OK and pretty straight but didn't like the feel and for some reason it just felt like a 'cheap' club and not for me but definitely easier to hit than the Epic SZ.

Many do love it though and if you don't struggle with left then it might be ideal.

That is where people differ. I loved the G LS and thought it was pretty forgiving but the Epic SZ is hands down the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Even when I don't hit it dead nuts, I am not getting punished with distance loss. Throw on top of that how straight the flight is, and how long it goes, and Cally has def knocked it out of the park here with this one.

The worst drivers I have ever hit based on feel, and results are the 2016 M1/M2 drivers. They sound horrible, feel terrible and were just overhyped (to me). I don't ever get on with TM drivers though. I had the 2017 M2 and just sold it yesterday. They just can't keep up distance wise with the Epic.

I still own both drivers and yeah, ask a bunch of people here and your response will vary. Here is my response:

1. Truly bad swing on ANY driver, is still a truly bad swing. A hook is a hook is a hook. A slice is a slice is a slice, there is no magic straight driver for a really bad swing, you have to fix your swing.

2. That leaves the "bad" rated swing - both still goes left and right. However, from what I am seeing and playing on the same course, the misses on these mediocre drives are less damaging with the SZ and my theory is that Jailbreak, while returning more energy for more ball speed but I think it also helps reduce side spin. G LS would spin more right for me (my typical miss) and SZ would spin less.

3. Hit it in the screws the SZ is like the rage of the SLDR, man, the beast is long. The G LS cannot sniff it. My drive on the 18th Woodley (posted above) was mind blowing. Talk about "speak softly but carry a big stick" - that is the SubZero Atmos

So going from my beloved G LS Tour 65 to SubZero Atmos has been a gain for me and no loss of dispersion. Infact, I think I am more accurate with the SZ around tight fairways.

Shaft plays a major role and you have to find a good shaft for a good head. Ping is always outstanding in their "stock" shaft offering like the Tour 65 aka Chrome Elements (abliet slightly watered down). My SZ route went from T800 65gm 6.0 flex (as purchased) to a Handcrafted Yellow 63gm 6.5 flex to now an Atmos Master 6X.

SubZero sound is more muted, G more "lively". I like the Ping sound better as I am a metallic sound guy but its not a deal killer.

My 2c & still luvin my SZ.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'm 4 rounds in with the EPIC SZ and this baby isnt going anywhere. Might shaft tinker a bit but I love it, even the misses are solid.

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

I'm 4 rounds in with the EPIC SZ and this baby isnt going anywhere. Might shaft tinker a bit but I love it, even the misses are solid.

Totally agree. My misses are high, long straight blocks about 5-10 yards off the fairway getting out to 270 still. I don't think I've overdrawn (normal miss) a single shot in the last 3 rounds with it.

Th

I still own both drivers and yeah, ask a bunch of people here and your response will vary. Here is my response:

1. Truly bad swing on ANY driver, is still a truly bad swing. A hook is a hook is a hook. A slice is a slice is a slice, there is no magic straight driver for a really bad swing, you have to fix your swing.

2. That leaves the "bad" rated swing - both still goes left and right. However, from what I am seeing and playing on the same course, the misses on these mediocre drives are less damaging with the SZ and my theory is that Jailbreak, while returning more energy for more ball speed but I think it also helps reduce side spin. G LS would spin more right for me (my typical miss) and SZ would spin less.

3. Hit it in the screws the SZ is like the rage of the SLDR, man, the beast is long. The G LS cannot sniff it. My drive on the 18th Woodley (posted above) was mind blowing. Talk about "speak softly but carry a big stick" - that is the SubZero Atmos

So going from my beloved G LS Tour 65 to SubZero Atmos has been a gain for me and no loss of dispersion. Infact, I think I am more accurate with the SZ around tight fairways.

Shaft plays a major role and you have to find a good shaft for a good head. Ping is always outstanding in their "stock" shaft offering like the Tour 65 aka Chrome Elements (abliet slightly watered down). My SZ route went from T800 65gm 6.0 flex (as purchased) to a Handcrafted Yellow 63gm 6.5 flex to now an Atmos Master 6X.

SubZero sound is more muted, G more "lively". I like the Ping sound better as I am a metallic sound guy but its not a deal killer.

My 2c & still luvin my SZ.

Very interesting. I feel like its the side spin that kills me on bad swings. If the jailbreak somehow reduces that then I really owe it to myself to try it out.

Very interesting. I feel like its the side spin that kills me on bad swings. If the jailbreak somehow reduces that then I really owe it to myself to try it out.

I have fought a nasty 2 way miss for the last 2 years after getting back into the game after an almost decade away from the game.

I promise you it's like the epic SZ for me has no side spin. I either hit it straight, straight left, or straight right. I am talking pulls, blocks or down the chute but the ball isn't turning right or left. Its all just me leaving the clubface open or shutting it too much at impact.

I noticed this in my fitting, and its held true since. I got fit 2 weeks before they were released and it's been in the bag since. Dialing in the shaft but even with any shaft I have tried, my left to right side spin has been the same. Straight ball flight

I have fought a nasty 2 way miss for the last 2 years after getting back into the game after an almost decade away from the game.

I promise you it's like the epic SZ for me has no side spin. I either hit it straight, straight left, or straight right. I am talking pulls, blocks or down the chute but the ball isn't turning right or left. Its all just me leaving the clubface open or shutting it too much at impact.

I noticed this in my fitting, and its held true since. I got fit 2 weeks before they were released and it's been in the bag since. Dialing in the shaft but even with any shaft I have tried, my left to right side spin has been the same. Straight ball flight

You know, now that you say that I have to agree. I don't notice my ball curving much at all with the SZ. My miss has been a block for the last two years. If I go right it's straight right. I threw a Rombax 5z08 in and it's helped my square the face and be more consistent. But yeah, not a lot of curve from this head. It's REALLY hard for my to turn this club over right to left. The shaft helps but I can't really draw this club like others.

Love it. Had a fitting. Used to play G30 Sf Tec 10 degree. Swing speed 94-97 during fitting. Ball speed on g30 was 129 average. Ball speed with epic was average 135. High of 141. I was carrying the epic what I was getting with ping including roll. My heeling cut/fade/slice on the epic was carrying the same as a solid hit for me with the ping. Results have been verified on my home course. I'm having a club or 1.5 clubs less into greens. More accurate for me as well. Very forgiving. Spin with the epic was in low 2000s. Launch around 15 degrees. AOA was 5 up. Carry with epic was upper 240s low 250s.

Epic set up is stock 55g 5.5 hzrdus. 9.0 head up 1 degree with the weight all the way to draw.

I've been "fitted" twice, and in addition, tried numerous shafts including the Speeder 665 Evo II, Pro 63 Green, D+ Ltd, and Regio Formula MB. I've now hit enough balls with this club to become more than acclimated. Hundreds of balls over a numerous range sessions and a handful of rounds of golf. Tried every hosel and weight combination possible. Regardless of the settings, the SZ produces incredible numbers on the launch monitor. Interestingly, I found the Formula MB to be the best overall performer for me.

Unfortunately, I'm ready to accept the beautiful numbers simply aren't translating into on-course performance. My main issue is dispersion. Tee shots simply don't start or stay on my intended line as often as I'm used to. Yes, maybe one in ten shots is clearly longer than any of my previous clubs, but I'm also not hitting nearly as many fairways. Going to give the SZ one final round of golf to extend it's testing period. In all likeliness, however, it's going back to the shop and I'm going back to my G30LS.

I'm a huge fan of the older Cally drivers so I really really wanted to love the Epics. No quite remorse but definitely a bit disappointed.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I've been "fitted" twice, and in addition, tried numerous shafts including the Speeder 665 Evo II, Pro 63 Green, D+ Ltd, and Regio Formula MB. I've now hit enough balls with this club to become more than acclimated. Hundreds of balls over a numerous range sessions and a handful of rounds of golf. Tried every hosel and weight combination possible. Regardless of the settings, the SZ produces incredible numbers on the launch monitor. Interestingly, I found the Formula MB to be the best overall performer for me.

Unfortunately, I'm ready to accept the beautiful numbers simply aren't translating into on-course performance. My main issue is dispersion. Tee shots simply don't start or stay on my intended line as often as I'm used to. Yes, maybe one in ten shots is clearly longer than any of my previous clubs, but I'm also not hitting nearly as many fairways. Going to give the SZ one final round of golf to extend it's testing period. In all likeliness, however, it's going back to the shop and I'm going back to my G30LS.

I'm a huge fan of the older Cally drivers so I really really wanted to love the Epics. No quite remorse but definitely a bit disappointed.

This was similar to my own experience with the SZ.

I think I knew after my first try on the course that it just wasn't the driver for me but I wanted to like it and tried at least 10 different shafts and all had similar results.

There was just no way I could have any confidence with this on a tight hole so had to sell it after a few weeks.

I am glad I tried it so no remorse but definitely disappointed in the way it performed for me.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Still loving mine... I now have 5 rounds with it and am hitting 66.7% fairways and I would guess 10+ yards longer than before. There were 2 holes in my last round where I ended up in a place off the tee that I've never been before (in a good way).

I have the 10.5 at +1/N and have the Fujikura Pro 62 Green at 44.75".

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

This is certainly a driver that i had to learn to love.......First time i got it, it felt and sounded great but didn't go very far.....significantly shorter than my King LTD, however after about a dozen rounds or so and moving the weights on my SZ as well as finding the right shaft, it is just as long as my LTD but feels and sounds better to my preferences. It is definitely lower spinning and more predictable as well as finding more fairways.....It may be about 5 -10 yards longer due to roll and about 5 yards shorter based on carry compared to my LTD. Im planning on bagging this for the rest of the season

I was fitted today after demo'ing the 9* with the fuji shaft. I was fit for the 10.5* set to N/-1 weight slightly towards toe HZRDUS 6.0. I forget all the numbers but AoA +4.4 SS 98-101 best one rolled out to 280 ish if that sounds right and picked up 10 over the M1 2016.....we shall see how it goes, all i know when I demo'ed on my course I hit that 9* in some spots i haven't seen before...hoping this works out. I was more impresssed with the ones I missed and still got out there pretty good.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Still loving mine... I now have 5 rounds with it and am hitting 66.7% fairways and I would guess 10+ yards longer than before. There were 2 holes in my last round where I ended up in a place off the tee that I've never been before (in a good way).

I have the 10.5 at +1/N and have the Fujikura Pro 62 Green at 44.75".

I'm was hovering around 12/14 fairways until I bagged the SZ. With the SZ, I enjoyed 6/14, followed by 5/14, and an impressive two (2, dos, due, zwei, deux) fairways. There were some real bombs in there, but overall, I unsuccessfully spent most of my time trying to just keep it in play.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Both the driver and fairway wood have been returned for store credit. Doesn't work for me but glad it works so well for so many others.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

I've been a Callaway driver loyalist for the last 12 years. I would upgrade to the latest Callaway driver models every 2 years or so (I would always try the latest and greatest from other brands but always preferred Callaway),. I was using the 815 DBD that I was very happy with. I went for an Epic SZ fitting, expecting to love it. I liked it, but my numbers were not any better than my 815 DBD, which really surprised me. I also was not loving the shape of the SZ head, but things like that, I can eventually learn to deal with.

Head to head against the JPX-900, I was quite a bit more accurate with the JPX-900 and distance was similar so I went with JPX-900. I've never been straighter with a driver and the honeymoon period with the JPX-900 was over a long time ago. Dispersion with the JPX-900 is phenomenal.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

This is certainly a driver that i had to learn to love.......First time i got it, it felt and sounded great but didn't go very far.....significantly shorter than my King LTD, however after about a dozen rounds or so and moving the weights on my SZ as well as finding the right shaft, it is just as long as my LTD but feels and sounds better to my preferences. It is definitely lower spinning and more predictable as well as finding more fairways.....It may be about 5 -10 yards longer due to roll and about 5 yards shorter based on carry compared to my LTD. Im planning on bagging this for the rest of the season

Were you fitted for your LTD?

I've been gaming a Ltd Pro that I wasn't fitted for.

I got fitted for an Epic SZ and gained 30 yards on the Cobra!

I was fitted for an LTD Pro, played that for a year, then got fitted into an SZ this spring. For me the SZ is a little longer when centered, and noticeably longer when not centered. Forgiveness (directionally speaking) is close, with maybe a slight edge to the SZ. I found the LTD a bit more fade biased than the SZ. I prefer the looks of the LTD, but the sound and feel of the SZ. I hit the LTD significantly higher than the SZ (both 10.5 heads, which near as I can measure is pretty accurate). I get a lot more run out with the SZ (that's certainly related to how high I hit the LTD). Elements Chrome in the LTD, KK Silver in the SZ. Both great heads though for me the SZ works better without a doubt, and that's speaking as someone who spent a year singing the praises of the LTD.

My buddy (an excellent fitter) did a vey simple trick to get the SZ to be more open.

He threw in a left handed shaft in a right handed head for it to become more fade bias.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

My buddy (an excellent fitter) did a vey simple trick to get the SZ to be more open.

He threw in a left handed shaft in a right handed head for it to become more fade bias.

Exactly what I had stated earlier in this thread, or one of the other 6 threads on the EPICs. Works great and gives you an extra degree. Now.....just have to get a red dot adapter. ;)

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Got a SZ driver and fairway, couldn't be happier. Bad days I get the same distance as my old driver, good days the sky is the limit. Had some windy conditions yesterday and into the wind I very happy with piercing flight, down wind was a monster. Two drives over 300 which is great for me, unbelievable actually but we triple checked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up an Epic. I hit an occasional bomb that is longer than the norm. The biggest advantage for me is that it's much more accurate--I now have consistent, lengthy drives, which are on or near the fairway, helping my game considerably. I'm an old hacker, 65, with a hi that goes up and down around 13-14 and a driver swing speed of 93-97.

Remorse is starting to creep in. Generally speaking, I don't care what a club sounds like as long as it performs, but it sounds like a tin can to me and it's starting to grate. I'm not getting the forgiveness I'd anticipated, although a well struck shot does really get out there.

Not giving up on it, yet, but there's a crisis of confidence looming.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I've been playing the Epic standard driver for about a month now & it's the best Callaway driver I have hit & the first Callaway driver that has worked for me & I have tried several. I love the look at address & don't mind the sound at all. Playing at 45" with Oban Purple 55 stiff lofted up 2 degrees to 12.5.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Remorse is starting to creep in. Generally speaking, I don't care what a club sounds like as long as it performs, but it sounds like a tin can to me and it's starting to grate. I'm not getting the forgiveness I'd anticipated, although a well struck shot does really get out there.

Not giving up on it, yet, but there's a crisis of confidence looming.

Cotton ball it?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I've been playing a standard Epic since the trip to Callaway in December and still love it. I don't even really care to look at other drivers now.

This is probably the longest I've had a driver in the bag over the past few years.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime