Callaway Epic Driver buyers. Love it or buyers remorse.

TheMotorCity

Great to hear so many positive reviews.

Callaway has been jumping into my bag more and more often where as before I was a strictly TM or Titleist guy.

I'm currently playing the GBB. Very happy with dispersion, control, flight, adjustability, feel....

Single digit, 57 years old, game is about control, ss is only 91 (ahhhhh :( ) but just shot a personal course record on a tricky course in a 2 club wind.

Anyone have a comparison of the Epic vs GBB? My guess is they are pretty much the same but the Epic has a more MOI.

FORE!!!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my epic sz. Had a bad fitting for m1 440 and hated the club. Went to another fitter got my sz. Hit it 5-10 longer than my old 905s on pure hits but the misses are where it's a different club. Toe and heel hits go 90% and straight. I've tried and cannot hit a toe hook with this thing.

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

Gotta share a fluke mistake (maybe not) experience from yesterday. As I mentioned in the past page or so.......I'm down in Florida this week getting ready for my US Senior Open qualifier and changed the orientation on my Elements Chrome the other day and was hitting bombs......I mean bombs (better than my AD-DI 6X and Rogue MAX 65). Screwing around yesterday, I pulled the Chrome back out and put the Rogue MAX 65 back in it (or I thought so). However, I had taken the Rogue MAX 75 out of my SZ 3W too and accidently put it in the driver. I was talking to a guy, not paying close attention and teed one up. I thought, hell, this is light and feels short. So, I pulled out a couple strips of high density lead tape, through them on the toe and teed another up. OMG, I hit this think on a string and with nothing other than my normal 5 yard peeler....oh yeah, and frickin' long. The guy I was talking to said, WTF was that? I hit it time and time again and it never waivered from the same spot. I realized I had put the 3W shaft in it (duh), but what a discovery. Not only did this bad boy now measure out to about 43" but after my lead tape surgery, it was back in the D3 range and I was killing it. I took it out on the course where I'm staying and proceeded to hit 14 of 14 fairways (right where I was looking) and 15 yards beyond the longest of anyone I was playing with, and further than where I was the day before. I'm headed out today to test again and may just leave it alone.

Now I know why Fowler and Walker went to 43" drivers. This thing is even better than before and I loved it then. Oh yeah, at 43" it's also probably playing 1.5* flatter too. All the more reason I need to find the red dot adapter now.

Have a Bertha Mini with Kuro Kage. Also have STD Epic with Fuji pro 62.

Am thinking for fun of trying the KK shaft in the Epic. How much shorter would it play? The Mini is at 44 inches but being a 3 wood type head would this be a little longer in the epic head? HOw much swing weight to add? Can I order an extra weight to screw in to get SW up if like the combo?

Callaway has been jumping into my bag more and more often where as before I was a strictly TM or Titleist guy.

I'm currently playing the GBB. Very happy with dispersion, control, flight, adjustability, feel....

Single digit, 57 years old, game is about control, ss is only 91 (ahhhhh :( ) but just shot a personal course record on a tricky course in a 2 club wind.

Anyone have a comparison of the Epic vs GBB? My guess is they are pretty much the same but the Epic has a more MOI.

FORE!!!

I came from the GBB, which is a great driver, absolute keeper for a backup, but for me the Epic is longer and straighter. When both are pured, not a ton in it, but hits just off center with the Epic are really not punished at all.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

FORE!!!

I came from the GBB, which is a great driver, absolute keeper for a backup, but for me the Epic is longer and straighter. When both are pured, not a ton in it, but hits just off center with the Epic are really not punished at all.

Agreed. I played around with a regular great big bertha before buying the epic and the epic is just stupid easy to hit with mishits not being punished at all.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

FORE!!!

Same here. I took my GBB to the ECPC on the #TheWRX trip for a head-to-head comparison.

I picked up 4-6 yards of carry and dropped spin from 2600ish down to 2300ish with the Epic, and mishits were less penal. Win-win for me.

The GBB is my back-up as well. Still a great driver.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Got fitted for a SZ 9 with a Rogue Max 75x and can literally not hit it any higher than the roof of a cart or 2 max. Tried playing around with loft settings and even a higher launch shaft from '14 Alpha I have and nothing has helped. With the decrease in carry distance, I ended up losing yards and retired it after 9 holes and a couple of range sessions. Glad you guys are having great results, but when I was waiting for this to be shipped, I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. After the test runs, feel more like Clark when he got the Dessert of the Month Christmas Bonus delivered. Blankety, blankety, blank, blank, blank....blank. Amen, where's the Tylenol....

Got fitted for a SZ 9 with a Rogue Max 75x and can literally not hit it any higher than the roof of a cart or 2 max. Tried playing around with loft settings and even a higher launch shaft from '14 Alpha I have and nothing has helped. With the decrease in carry distance, I ended up losing yards and retired it after 9 holes and a couple of range sessions. Glad you guys are having great results, but when I was waiting for this to be shipped, I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. After the test runs, feel more like Clark when he got the Dessert of the Month Christmas Bonus delivered. Blankety, blankety, blank, blank, blank....blank. Amen, where's the Tylenol....

Jelly of the month*** lol

Tried both the regular and the SZ on a monitor a few weeks ago, and was absolutely roping the SZ. Like a true Ho, headed straight to the BST and picked one up. Finally got to take it out to the range today, and was a little worried with all the remorse in this thread. This thing is F'ing awesome! High flat BOMBs that you could run a string down. And it feels freaking outstanding. It may just be a honeymoon, but this thing is firmly straight into the bag.

For those of you that actually had the chance to try it on the course already, what are your early thoughts so far, great driver or buyers remorse and wished you'd have bought something else. I know its very early for a lot of us, but those who are actually lucky enough to play now and have used it. What are your early thoughts

I love mt Epic 10.5! Hitting is at lest 10 yards longer and straighter then my 915 D2.

FORE!!!

Got fitted and tried a bunch of shafts in both heads. The Epic produced 3-5 mph more ball speed, a little lower spin and better dispersion, while picking up 7-10 yards average. I compared best fit on shafts to make sure.

Love the sound/ feel of the Epic. Best I've had since the old Mizzie MP001

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

So I have 3 rounds and one range session under my belt with my Epic (not SZ). I hit the 816DBD for most of last year after hitting the M1 last spring with mixed results. The 816 was my favorite/most consistent driver I have owned so I planned on keeping it in the bag this season as well....

But the Epic is as advertised IMO. It is the first driver that I have actually seen results from in both accuracy and insane distance. I bought it thinking I would just test it head to head with my 816 and knew I could resell it for close to what I paid if I didn't like it, but unfortunately I love it. I am hitting the same Diamana WB 70x that was in my 816 cut to play right at 44". I have been seeing consistent 280+ drives and hit the 300+ mark a few occasions, which is incredible for me. Probably the most impressive part is just how forgiving it is.

Not a Callaway guy typically, but the last two drivers have been amazing. I have hit all the TMs, Titleist, Pings, Cobras...but nothing just wowed me. No buyers remorse, but my wallet was hoping I would resell it.

SIM2 Max - Tour AD MT 6x
910Fd - Bi-Matrix
Cobra F7 Hybrid - Tour Green

Srixon 585 3-iron
921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 50*/56*
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

I'm way past the honeymoon phase with mine. I've had it in play since early Jan. I've spent a lot of the early spring testing different shafts but once I found my best combo and focused on just playing...it's been phenomenal for me. The M2 was so great for me last year. But I have no doubt it was a good move for me. Longer and more accurate.

My playing partner had the SZ in play for a few months and did ok with it but swapped out to the regular Epic and it clearly is better for him. He's getting incredible results.

Looking forward to my SZ order being shipped. Went to Callaway HQ when I was out west, thought Epic would have been the winner, but I observed what others have with a negative AOA, the SZ was ~10 yards farther. Ended up ~20 farther than my non-fitted 2014 Alpha (current driver), same shaft to shaft comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Placed an order last week for the GBB Epic (non-SZ) with the KK 60 shaft at 44.25". Very excited to get this thing out on the course.

Had the GBB a couple years back and it was a great driver so I'm hoping the Epic lives up to all the hype. So far I've played with 3 guys who have it in the bag and it has transformed their tee game. One guy who I played with in a tournament a couple weeks ago got fit for a W/S Triton but hated it when he got out on the course. Went back in and traded it in for an Epic. I think he hit every single fairway during the 1st round of the tournament. Wasn't super long, though he was in his 50's, but man he was dead straight every single time. He even said "I missed that one" a few times and it ended up moving right back into the fairway.

Have had mine a few weeks, and it's great. Im not sure if it's better than my XR16 pro from last year, so I may return it. Going to give it a few more rounds.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Just finally joined the party with the SZ. The ball just wants to go straight and far. Hit it yesterday into the wind at the range and it went basically straight. Could only manage a slight draw or fade. I have not had a chance to play on a familiar course with it yet to compare distances but if I can drive it that straight I would gladly give up a few yards to be honest. Although based on where the range balls were landing into the wind I think I have gained a few.

Still loving my SZ (got it late winter). I've never hit anything that feels (and sounds) like it. I've already convinced my golf league partner to buy 1 in the near future.

What I'm currently trying to figure out is which shaft/s to try out. I have a HZRDUS Black 75x, but I've come to the realization that it's just too heavy (wish it was the 65). Currently using an Aldila Rogue i/o 65x with OK success, but while the weight is good, it's just a bit "loose" in the tip for me. I have a line to get a Tensei Pro White 60 S (but tipped 1", so it should play very close to a normal X), but I'm wondering that even though I'm a high-spin, high-launch player, that it still might be a bit tough to handle consistently. Driver SS ~105-107. I'd love for a Diamana BF-60x to fall into my lap to try out.

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

I make my wife sleep on the couch so I can keep it mine close at night. Alright I'm lying, I sleep on the couch and the wife sleeps with the Epic!

Driver PING 410 LST 9.5 degree

Ping 410 3  Wood 

PING 410 3 Hybrid

PING 410 Crossover  #4 

Titleist T300 Irons 5-PW

SM7 Wedges 50-56 and 60 degree

Scotty Cameron  Special Select Newport 2.5

Still love it... haven't been able to play at all lately. I've been coaching 2 baseball teams this year and it has been baseball 6-7 days a week for the last 2 months. On top of that, I hurt my hand about a month ago and haven't really been able to grip a club well until yesterday. I was feeling really good prior to baseball season, but I hadn't even swung a club in about 6 weeks. I finally got a chance to take a long lunch break & hit the range for a bit.

Everything felt really odd swing-wise but I was still hitting the ball ok as I worked my way through the bag. When I got to driver, I really wasn't sure what to expect. I proceeded to hit it really well and I'm still really impressed with the mishits on this thing. They just don't seem to lose much distance at all. I was right back to hitting a little draw on my normal swing and maybe missed 2 or 3 of 20 or so "fairways". I know I hit one really poor (low heel) and was very impressed with the ball flight. It started a little left and low but climbed a bit and faded back towards the left-center of my virtual fairway. It was a terrible strike but aside from the sound/feel, you'd never know it. Probably would have ended up 270 and in the fairway. I'm losing a little distance but not a ton, certainly not enough to worry about it.

My swing in general felt very strange but I have so much confidence with this thing right now. Going to try and get out Sunday if the weather holds up.

Some statistics since I started doing some shot tracking last year:

Prior to the Epic, I had a few other drivers... 917D2 and Cobra Fly Z+ were the 2 most recent. I was averaging just under 50% fairways hit in the last few months prior to the change. On top of that, I missed left about 27% of the time and right about 23%.

Since the change to the Epic SZ, I'm at almost 67% fairways hit, 22% missed left and 11% missed right. Things are much more controlled and I'm hitting it a little farther too.

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

Have had mine a few weeks, and it's great. Im not sure if it's better than my XR16 pro from last year, so I may return it. Going to give it a few more rounds.

Let us know if you feel it is better than your XR16 Pro.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I've tried the epic and didn't see any real distance gain from xr 16. It was better on off center hits by about 10-20 yds but couldn't justify the upgrade. Given I have not tried the epic sz which could be completely different the fairway is great.

I know the price is high but missing the face and getting 10-20 yards a big difference over any driver.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Still love mine. I play the SZ. Came from the original M1. Epic is slightly longer when hit solid. But on mishits there really is no comparison. I have had a couple of weeks of marginal ballstriking and it just amazes me at how it still travels very well when I miss it. I'm not even talking about slight mishits. I'm talking bad hits and it still gets out there.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1