2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Epic Driver buyers. Love it or buyers remorse.

TheMotorCity

This thread reminds me of Eamon D'Arcy. When asked what he thought of modern 'technology' in regard to golf clubs, he replied "Sure, it's marvellous, but it's no bloody good if you can't play".

So true. Equipment is only as good as the player wielding it.

Depends on the meaning of "Modern". I am the very definition of "can't play". I've hit my 1951 Jimmy Demaret persimmons with 130g steel shafts and I've hit my "modern" Ping G driver with graphite shaft. As someone who "can't play" I'm telling you that "modern" technology is a BIG improvement!

I'm not so sure. I'm 74 and use Hogan Apex irons (1999) with stiff steel shafts and a Ping G2 driver with DG S300 steel shaft and manage to stay on scratch handicap. I have of course played for more than 60 years and must say that the clubs of today are not the reason scores are lower -----it's the better conditioning of courses, particularly the greens and the BALL has improved to an enormous degree. In my opinion, clubs are only marginally "easier" to play today compared with good MacGregor or John Letters clubs of yesteryear, but there is no doubt the ball has become MUCH better, flying straighter and further.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can play to scratch with that setup then I'd reckon you are not included in the "can't play" bracket, innit?

I'm a 17.something index and half the tee shots I hit in my last round, including a couple that found the fairway, would have been complete duffs with an non-modern club no matter what ball I was using.

I also have the Jimmy Demaret irons which are truly scary to hit off tight lies.

I find it interesting that a lot of the members in this thread who have tried and like the Epic replaced other Callaway products with it. Anyone else take note of this?

If you're a HO it doesn't matter what brand of clubs, you always have to have the latest and greatest.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I find it interesting that a lot of the members in this thread who have tried and like the Epic replaced other Callaway products with it. Anyone else take note of this?

If you're a HO it doesn't matter what brand of clubs, you always have to have the latest and greatest.

As a recovering HO, I can relate to that.

I still sniff around at the L and G. I just don't pull the trigger as readily now. But how I do love looking!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Yep, it's a total sickness...

I REALLY want one of the low spin Tour 440 heads. Supposed to be less left bias and 500-600 rpm lower than the retail head. I need this.

Is that a low spin/anti left Epic SZ you are talking about? If so I would also be interested. I just found it too easy to turn over compared to my M2 which seems to be easier to hit.

Yes, and I have the same issue with sub zero. Just too much hook bias compared to the Taylormade Tour heads I am accustomed to playing. I have a feeling the 440 would be awesome.

SZ 440 version has same spin as regular SZ 460 model just made to offer a different look if needed for Tour players. You need the Tour only SZ 460 model which is lower spin and more fade bias.

Unfortunately I dont see myself getting or being able to review either of them. The two I've seen for sale were in the $1400 range. That's clearly not happening. 10-15 years ago there were drivers that were massively better than the rest, but these days they are all so close that a price like that is totally unjustified.

I played one round with an Epic SZ with a Graphite Design TP 7X shaft last weekend. First round of the year, on a coarse I have never played before so I cant comment on distance. I can say that the club seems more forgiving than my previous 915 D2.

How did you like this combo? This shaft seems to be getting a lot of buzz

Great to hear that most are sticking with them.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Mine just came in on Friday so I have had exactly 1 range session and 1 round with it. I haven't had a chance to really get comfortable with it. First shot at the range was dead straight and long. Gave me a nice first impression. First drive on the course was solid too.

The sound is definitely different, but I knew that going in because I had hit it outside several times before ordering it. My biggest takeaway is that distance loss is pretty minimal on off-center strikes.

For example, I had 2 swings on 17 & 18 that really couldn't have been any different. 1 was perfectly struck and had a nice little draw, really good swing. 285y carry (plugged, easy to measure) down the left center. On the next hole, it was struck in the heel and a little low... and went 290y (don't know how much was roll) right in the middle of the fairway. Based on strike, I was completely shocked at where the ball ended up.

Fwiw, I have the Fuji Pro 62 Green in stiff flex and ordered it at -.5"

Bumping this one back to the top because it's been my experience exactly. If I'm going to miss with a driver it's low and on the heel. The SZ is just silly forgiving and long for that miss. I've gone 905 > 910 > LTD > SZ. The 905 and 910 were both in the bag for a bunch of years. The LTD was one year. The SZ is here to stay. Somehow it's just as long if not longer on my usual miss than it is if I center it. Centered I hit a 2 or 3 yard fade. Miss it low and on the heel and it stays straight, lower trajectory than centered, and just goes and goes and goes. Not super forgiving out on the toe, but if your miss is low/heel then the SZ is your guy. No feedback from me on the non-SZ Epic--I'm a negative AoA guy so the SZ was a no-brainer, much less spin than the regular Epic. I'm beyond the honeymoon period with it, it's the real deal.

Absolutely love mine. Standard Epic, 9 deg., Fuji speeder EVO II 665 was the original shaft, loved the combo. On a whim got the original Fuji speeder 565 and killing it even further and more controlled, just a great combo. Long and forgiving. I had the GBB Fusion and didn't think there would be any difference but there clearly was, obviously in favor of the Epic.

I wish I could say the same for the 3 woods, hit both and absolutely both are not able to kick my XR 3 out of the bag. I have a special relationship with that 3 wood though, almost felt like I was cheating a bit when I demo'd the epic 3's.

I had the SZ for a couple of rounds, and it's not any longer than my 917, it may be a little more forgiving, but the 917 is more consistent for me, I know where it's going. Not a real big fan of the green either.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Really enjoying mine. Just got the Hzrdus T800 in it (had the Fuji 62) and its putting up awesome numbers.

Bomber, is that 6.0 holding up to your swing!?? Is it the 55 or 65?

55gr. - but you'd never guess it was 55gr in a million years. Feels and plays much different.

I recorded a few on the launch monitor around 118mph and it was performing incredibly well. If it wasn't labeled, I would've guessed it around a 65-70gr x-stiff shaft.

118 swing speed, 176 ball speed was my best hit - I was very surprised by that shaft. I expected to either leave w/ an x flex Rogue Max, or back to my trusty Speeder 661 X

Not sure if that weight just works w/ the Epic head, or if the T800 is just a different animal all together.

Give it a go if you ever get a chance!

interesting...what is your speed like? any tipping??

I would also like to know about the tipping, I was concerned about the counter weighting with the SZ head being so light, I'm assuming it's fine based on your comments. I was fitted for the HZRDUS black 75 6.5 but as you know that is a upgrade of about 250 plus (even more in Canada), so I was thinking of ordering the 65g tipped and just buying a HXRDUS black after the fact as it won't be much more at 400 CAD.

"Take er' deep"

Really enjoying mine. Just got the Hzrdus T800 in it (had the Fuji 62) and its putting up awesome numbers.

Bomber, is that 6.0 holding up to your swing!?? Is it the 55 or 65?

55gr. - but you'd never guess it was 55gr in a million years. Feels and plays much different.

I recorded a few on the launch monitor around 118mph and it was performing incredibly well. If it wasn't labeled, I would've guessed it around a 65-70gr x-stiff shaft.

118 swing speed, 176 ball speed was my best hit - I was very surprised by that shaft. I expected to either leave w/ an x flex Rogue Max, or back to my trusty Speeder 661 X

Not sure if that weight just works w/ the Epic head, or if the T800 is just a different animal all together.

Give it a go if you ever get a chance!

interesting...what is your speed like? any tipping??

I would also like to know about the tipping, I was concerned about the counter weighting with the SZ head being so light, I'm assuming it's fine based on your comments. I was fitted for the HZRDUS black 75 6.5 but as you know that is a upgrade of about 250 plus (even more in Canada), so I was thinking of ordering the 65g tipped and just buying a HXRDUS black after the fact as it won't be much more at 400 CAD.

'

No tipping. My swing speed ranges from 112 (in control) to 119 (really going after it). I was honestly just in there trying all of the shafts, I never thought in a million years the 55gr T800 would be the one giving me the best results.

A little history, I traditionally play shafts like Graphite Design AD BB 6X, AD TP 6X, Speeder 661 Evo X, Rogue Silver 60 X; as well as a few 70+ gr shafts like Hzrdus Black 75, Black Tie 75M4, etc.

I figured for sure once I passed around 110 mph, that T800 would give up the act and start behaving like a lightweight shaft - but even at 118 that wasn't happening. It hung in there perfectly - loaded really well, and really accelerated through the ball.

Like I said before, if it wasn't labeled a 55gr. 6.0 flex, I would have guessed it a 6.5 (x-flex) and approximately 65-70gr weight range.

I strongly advise hitting it w/ the Epic head, Project X has themselves a winner with the T800.

That's amazing I would never have guessed that. We pretty much have the identical numbers and specs for shafts based on your comments. Did you hit the 65g by chance? Did you say you ordered a 6.0?

Yeah I got mine in a 6.0

I hit the Epic 3-wood w/ the T800 65gr and it was another dream combination - I'm going tomorrow to pick that up!

Once again, felt a good 10-15gr heavier than it was. I was pushing that 3w out past 290 yards

T800 + Epic is proving to be a good match! I wasn't near as impressed with any other shaft from the no-upcharge list.

I played one round with an Epic SZ with a Graphite Design TP 7X shaft last weekend. First round of the year, on a coarse I have never played before so I cant comment on distance. I can say that the club seems more forgiving than my previous 915 D2.

I have the TP-6X in mine. I'd describe the TP as being slightly softer than the DI in the handle while slightly stiffer below that, so even with a smooth transition it loads very easily but still provides lower spin. Also feels incredibly nice at impact.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

That's amazing I would never have guessed that. We pretty much have the identical numbers and specs for shafts based on your comments. Did you hit the 65g by chance? Did you say you ordered a 6.0?

Yeah I got mine in a 6.0

I hit the Epic 3-wood w/ the T800 65gr and it was another dream combination - I'm going tomorrow to pick that up!

Once again, felt a good 10-15gr heavier than it was. I was pushing that 3w out past 290 yards

T800 + Epic is proving to be a good match! I wasn't near as impressed with any other shaft from the no-upcharge list.

Awesome thanks for the input, although now I have no idea what I'm going to do next! Back to the drawing board...hopefully I can find a golftown (Canadas Golfsmith) to test the T800

"Take er' deep"

I have the TP-6X in mine. I'd describe the TP as being slightly softer than the DI in the handle while slightly stiffer below that, so even with a smooth transition it loads very easily but still provides lower spin. Also feels incredibly nice at impact.

I thought the TP was supposed to b a bit stiffer in the handle than the DI?

SZ 9 loft Tour AD DI 6 SR tipped 1/2" playing at 44.75 at D2.5 (14 gram weight in the rear, got the weight to get to that swingweight)

Previous driver FlyZ+ Set to 9 loft Weight back, exact same shaft (length and tipping). Swingweight at D3.

Distance maybe the same on solid but mishits and average distance by far goes to the Epic SZ.

I only swing about 93-96, hence the SR shaft, but have always been high spin. The Fly Z+ brought spin down. Epic SZ spin down and forgiveness.

I may get a fairway wood or hybrid if they are this good as well.

GD says the TP is stiffer in the handle, but I've seen data from independent sources that suggests the opposite is true. With my droppy transition, the DI sometimes felt like it didn't want to load up all the way. Had no such issues with TP.

Of course, YMMV.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I had the SZ for a couple of rounds, and it's not any longer than my 917, it may be a little more forgiving, but the 917 is more consistent for me, I know where it's going. Not a real big fan of the green either.

I really don't like the green either. I also don't like the front with the logo and ridges. A step backwards compared to the XR16 SZ in looks for me.

Of course, if I had actually hit it any good I wouldn't have cared too much about the way it looks:-)

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

It feels a little stiffer in the handle and midsection to me. I've got a TP 7S tipped 1" in my Epic SZ, fwiw... Overall, it feels like a firmer version of a DI to me.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Yeah I got mine in a 6.0

+1 on the t800 55. I was fit for SZ with this shaft and nothing else came close. I liked the results so much I also ordered the SZ 3 wood with the t800 65 without even hitting it.

FWIW the specs say the 55 is actually 59g in stiff flex. Not a light as you may think but definitely gave me an extra mph or two that the others couldn't.

Love it. The SZ is more forgiving than it's XR16 Pro and 816 DBD counterparts by a looong shot. It's a very straight hitting club. I did put some lead tape out towards the toe, since everything seems draw biased to me (I don't even know if I can hit a cut anymore, but I'm working on it).

The feel is good, IMO, as is the sound. It's quiet and solid. I was scared of the solid part before really getting to put some time in with it. The face doesn't feel hot or springy, but it still feels good in it's own way. Nothing bad, just different.

The one thing for me is that I need to tee it up a bit higher. I typically tee the ball high anyways, so it wasn't anything new for my comfort zone, but in the past, if I hadn't bought any taller tee's, I could get by with the shorter ones, but with this, I have no hopes of getting proper launch unless it's tee'd up. I have a positive AOA (+4* per trackman a couple weeks ago) so a higher tee'd ball is just what suits me. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if I heard that this was an adjustment that some others may have to make to get it to launch better.

My worst mis is low and to the toe, and it launches very, very low with this driver, BUT, that just produces a bullet that still rolls forever. Very pleased with this driver.

I have only played 1 round, so I cant really comment at this point. I have played the last 5 years with a Graphite Design AD-DI shaft in various Titleist heads. When I read that the new TP shaft was supposed to be an improved version of that shaft I figured I would give it a shot.

The main thing I noticed was how forgiving the SZ head felt to my old 915 D2.

I've got 5 range sessions and 2 (very rusty-swinging) rounds in with my SZ 9' w/ a HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5. My swing is wildly inconsistent right now, but this really feels like the most forgiving and longest driver that I've ever used. The bonus is the different sound and feel than what I've been used to with older TM drivers (R11, R15). One thing I've noticed is that I get my best results trying to increase my AoA a bit (even though I'm always a positive AoA, it seems if I can squeeze out an extra degree or so, that it really contributes in a good way). That's part my swing and swing speed, and part the club and the shaft. But everything just works! My misses are much better, and my flush shots have a noticeably more piercing trajectory (without being low missles).

Can't wait to get my swing more consistent so I can start taking advantage of this driver more and more.

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7