Callaway Epic Driver buyers. Love it or buyers remorse.

TheMotorCity

Played roughly 7-8 rounds with it so far and I'm a fan. I have been a Titleist driver guy for a long time, but at the end of last season I bought an M1 and played it for about 2 months. While I did get better ball speeds and distance, my accuracy suffered a bit. About a month ago I went to get fit for a different shaft but ended up walking out with the Epic. Every shaft and driver combo I hit, basically carried around 260, Titleist 915, 917, TM M1, M2. My fitter asked me to try the Epic and I said that I had tried it before and it was a hook machine for me. Well the Fuji Pro shaft in the regular Epic head ended up giving me a carry of 270. I then went back to the other drivers to make sure it wasn't my swing, back to 260. At that point I was sold and now after playing it for a bunch of rounds I can report it's longer, has better dispersion and is more forgiving on my mishits. Never imagined I would be playing a Callaway driver, but I can argue with the results.

Great to hear your getting 270 vs 260. Do you know why the Epic is going farther? Any increase in distance should be quantifiable. Not trying to knock on you, just interested in where the gains are coming from.

I've been able to quantify a portion of my gains to more ball speed, which in turn is a result of the longer playing length.

The backspin and launch rates were the same as my old driver, but side spin was reduced and the ball and swing speeds were both a little faster.

Possibly factors:

1/2 inch longer shaft

Effect of different shaft properties (going from the Oban Devotion6 to the Fujikura Pro 73)

Callaway Jail Break technology, whatever effect that has.

TM SIM 10.5° OBAN Devotion 06  Flex 05
TM M2 16.5° Fujikura Pro73
Cally Rogue 19° Synergy
PXG  0311P Gen3  4i - GW Modus 120
Vokey SM8  54° 60° Modus 120
Ping CRAZ-E

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a 12g weight finally to replace my 14g. Weight feels spot on now. About D5.

This thing still wants to go left on me. I don't know why. I hit all my other clubs straight or with a flight fade. With my old G30 I never had to worry about the left side. Butter cut all day.

Going to give it a couple more range sessions and it might be up for sale if I can't get it to work.

This driver just does not feel very forgiving to me either.

Not sure what loft you have but I took my 9* down to an 8 which opens the face a little and also provided a higher launch than when it was set to 9. Worth a shot or you can always find a Kuro Kage 70TX the current tour only shaft played by Adams, Haas and McIlroy which will help it from going left. Just some food for thought

Seemed to be some debate about how much the hosel setting change the rotation of the face angle... would love to know the real answer.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Posted mine for sale locally. I am a +hcp and I can't get this thing to work for me.

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 7.5*)Fuji ventus black 6x

Mizuno STZ 3w 14* GD AD-DI7x

Srixon zx 3 iron recoil 95x 
Srixon z945 4-PW PX6.5 Custom Raw 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Oddessey 7CS Tour 

Would think the Fusion and Epic are trying to hit somewhat different launch parameters?

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Would think the Fusion and Epic are trying to hit somewhat different launch parameters?

Meaning? That one went right over my head.

I would suspect even with the same shaft fusion should launch and spin higher than epic. Maybe close to standard Epic but def higher than SZ. Some people are on the fence about Jail Break but for me I notice a HUGE retention of ball speed on mishits with Epic SZ. I have never hit Fusion fwiw

Was typing the same thing.

Epic perhaps designed to create different spin or launch angle or maybe left-right bias vs Fusion. I have hit the Fusion indoors and it definitely spun more than Epic for me. YMMV.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

I had to swap the stock shaft in the Fusion to the Cally Speeder and turn it up to 12* to get the right flight. It had the Recoil I believe in it and I couldn't elevate it for nothing, and I'm a natural high spin, high ball hitter. Guess when I hit land in a couple weeks I'll compare them. Feel like I have no control with the Fusion. Thanks for the replies!

I have an SZ with my trusty Rogue 70 125 TX and it is awesome. I also have a 757 Evo 2 but it feels too light and is harder to control. When I catch one with the Speeder it is def longer though!

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Not remorse because I bought used and can flip for what I paid.

I bought both a regular Epic and SubZero, and after trying them out with a bunch of different shafts, on launch monitors and on course, it has become evident that neither is an improvement on my current LTD or indeed my previous GBB.

The SubZero sounds great, has similar spin launch and distance, but leaks to the right too much.

The Epic is consistent, but launches lower and spins more. Hence it is shorter than the LTD and GBB.

I could probably tweak them to get closer to what I have, but it isn't worth spending the extra money for no real benefit

TSi2 Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Apex 21/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec/MIM Tour Copper Irons
PXG/CBX FF wedges
PXG One and Done 

The Fusion stock shafts are pretty light so if you are hitting them well then those lighter shafts might be good for your swing. I know when I tested the Fusion, I was seeing a demonstrative gain in clubhead and ball speeds over the GBB and the XR in no small part due to the lighter shaft. I was also very impressed that even with the 44.5 length Fusion, I wasn't seeing but a couple of yards distance loss and I was getting much more consistent contact and as a result my dispersion was much better as well. I haven't been able to find the shorter heavier headed Epic but I would love to do a demo to compare those two. The Fusion was marketed that you could get it in either length combo. I haven't seen the Epic marketed that way but I will be attending multiple Callaway demo days and will see if I can hit an Epic with that configuration.

Posted mine for sale locally. I am a +hcp and I can't get this thing to work for me.

Have you tried the GBB version?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

The Fusion stock shafts are pretty light so if you are hitting them well then those lighter shafts might be good for your swing. I know when I tested the Fusion, I was seeing a demonstrative gain in clubhead and ball speeds over the GBB and the XR in no small part due to the lighter shaft. I was also very impressed that even with the 44.5 length Fusion, I wasn't seeing but a couple of yards distance loss and I was getting much more consistent contact and as a result my dispersion was much better as well. I haven't been able to find the shorter heavier headed Epic but I would love to do a demo to compare those two. The Fusion was marketed that you could get it in either length combo. I haven't seen the Epic marketed that way but I will be attending multiple Callaway demo days and will see if I can hit an Epic with that configuration.

At a demo no. However, a good rep can attempt to build something similar to try to achieve those goal (2-12 weights in the SZ or two sliding weight in the GBB

Throw in the Fusion shaft and off you go or 3 wood shaft.

However, I know anything 45 and under is suppose to have the SW adjusted to stock by the factory.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Meaning? That one went right over my head.

I would suspect even with the same shaft fusion should launch and spin higher than epic. Maybe close to standard Epic but def higher than SZ. Some people are on the fence about Jail Break but for me I notice a HUGE retention of ball speed on mishits with Epic SZ. I have never hit Fusion fwiw

That was not true for me. At a fitting I tried all three with a variety of shafts. The Fusion was consistantly lower spinning and higher launching the either of the Epics. The regular Epic spun the most. The Epic SZ was next, barely more than the Fusion. The SZ had a couple of more mph's of ball speed but the Fusion gave me the best combo of spin and launch so was consistantly longest for me. Not by much, only 3-4 yds over the SZ and 7-8 yds over the reg. Epic. But the difference was consistant. The dispersion was very good on all three but the Fusion and SZ were tied for best dispersion of the three with the reg. Epic not quite as good. Any of the three are very good drivers but for me the Fusion was just a little better than either Epic. This has been born out on the course where the Fusion has proved to be the best driver I have ever had. It is both the longest and straightest driver I have ever used. I will say the Epic did show a little improvement over the Fusion in that off center hits with the Fusion lost a little more than with either Epic. The difference wasn't a lot but just enough to be noticeable. Fortunately I'm close to the center of the face on the driver more often than not so this wasn't a big concern for me. Obviously others may find they have different results. That is why a good fitting prior to purchasing can save a lot of money as well as helping get the most from your gear.

We have had some odd weather lately, temps up and down, plenty of wind, so have been trying a few things, testing out some shafts. I played the T800's in both yesterday, and hit them really well, the T800 definitely launches higher in the 3+ than the Rogue I/O I was initially playing.

Today, going back to give the stock Fuji Pro Green a go in the 3+, and the Rogue I/O 60 in the driver. I was hitting the 2015/16 GBB really good with this shaft before getting the Epic, and I have never really given the Fuji a solid chance in the SZ fwy. I do have one more 3 wood shaft to try (black tie).

I am very pleased with the T800's, just need to give everything a go.

TSi3 RDX black 
Radspeed 3w-RDX black 
Radspeed 5w-RDX black
Radspeed 4h-RDX black

Radspeed 5H-RDX black
T200 6-G PX LZ
MD5 52-56 TI S200
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I was just notified by the retailer I went through, that Callaway sent 2 dozen balls (CS, or CSX) for having received a damaged club, and having to wait for a replacement.

He was shipping out to me today.

Nicely done Callaway.

2 dozen?? Man that is nice. I had to wait 2 weeks on a replacement weight and they sent me 1 sleeve with the weight.

:rolleyes:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tour AD TP

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

Odyssey OG 7 (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

Epic failure, after four rounds, I returned it and got a M2. Much better on poor hits. the Epic was a little longer, but the misses are a lot worse.

45.5 in doesn't work for many.

If dispersion failure occurs, reach for a saw and lead tape.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5 (at 9)/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 wd
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf  or Honma TR21 4H
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g or Mizuno HMB 5-PW Accra CWi95
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

The Fuji was fine, but felt like I had more distance with the T800 in the 3+.

I could not even leave the house without the T800 in the driver, switched back right before I left, just hitting it too well. #1 was playing 410 with the pin today, I hit driver-pw, and it was 44 degrees out.

These clubs are Epic, perfect name.

TSi3 RDX black 
Radspeed 3w-RDX black 
Radspeed 5w-RDX black
Radspeed 4h-RDX black

Radspeed 5H-RDX black
T200 6-G PX LZ
MD5 52-56 TI S200
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

Epic failure, after four rounds, I returned it and got a M2. Much better on poor hits. the Epic was a little longer, but the misses are a lot worse.

45.5 in doesn't work for many.

If dispersion failure occurs, reach for a saw and lead tape.

Exactly! I have 6G and 8G weights coming from Billy Bob's so I can go to 44.5" where I am just as long but way more accurate.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Double Wide

Odyssey WH OG #7 Bird

Callaway ‘22 CSX or ‘22 CSX LS

I've been happily hitting the Fusion since its release until this morning when my stupid friend handed me his stupid Epic on the first hole and told me to try it. It's my home course; I know where a good drive goes. This was a full 15 yards longer than a normal Fusion drive. I had a club less into virtually every green and hit the Epic just as straight as I did the Fusion.

I didn't even get home without buying one.

Driver: Ping G400 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB Max 7-PW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50*, 58* & 64*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Bridgestone B RXS

I'm still loving mine. Getting more comfortable with it every time I take it out. Have about 6 rounds with it now. I know it sounds cliche but the best part about this driver is when I miss a little I somehow normally still hit a fairway and am unbelievably long. I feel like miss hits end up where smoked drives were with my old driver (xr16) and my centered strikes with the epic sz end up on parts of the course I've never played from before. Sometime 1 or even 2 clubs shorter on approaches. Thats what makes this upgrade worth it to me.