2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Epic Driver buyers. Love it or buyers remorse.

TheMotorCity

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine on the course for the 3rd time yesterday. So far, it has been pretty long and incredibly consistent. I only had time for 9 yesterday and hit driver on 4 holes.

1. No time for warmup, smooth swing, slight fade up the left side of the fairway, 250y

2. Aggressive swing on this one, caught it a little heel-side so it started a little left but faded back to my original line and was around 270y

5. Another aggressive swing, completely flushed it right down the center with a slight draw, pushing 300y

9. Tight fairway so smooth swing on this one, started it off the left side of the fairway and it faded a bit, just catching the fairway on the left side. It was a bit of a mishit, but still got out there around 260y

I am very happy with 4/4 fairways and averaging around 270y with little to no roll. I know it has been a very small sample size, but I'm optimistic. The best thing about it is the consistency. I'm launching it a little higher than normal right now, but with the conditions here in the NW being incredibly soggy, it is probably the best for me at the moment. In the 45 holes I've played, I hit driver 26 times and am hitting 73% of my fairways. Of the 7 missed fairways, 6 have been left. That is going to be hard to keep up, but considering I hit about 52% with the driver last year, it is quite an improvement so far.

FWIW, I have my SZ @10.5 at +2/Draw with the Fuji green 62. This combination was producing the most consistent results for me.

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

I love this driver!

I have still to mess with the settings much. I'm hearing the SZ with the weight forward produces a slight draw bias?? If so might be worth a shot, I hit a hook with the driver once every 5 years lol.

So far I have the SZ @ 9*, D, 12g weight back, 2 front. Kuro Kage Dual Core Xt 70tx in it. I do hit it mid high, but it's low spin. It's been windy here and the ball cuts through the headwind without ballooning, it's great. However, I'll try the weight forward at the range and see if it brings my flight down a touch.

Anyone know where I can get heavier weights for my SZ 15*? It came with a 22g and 3g but a swingweight of D0 :(

Callaway customer service was absolutely no help and basically told me I have to take it to a Callaway authorized retailer so they can measure it, and then they have to send it in to be properly swing weighted. Even though I ordered it at D3.

Anyone know where I can get heavier weights for my SZ 15*? It came with a 22g and 3g but a swingweight of D0 :(

Callaway customer service was absolutely no help and basically told me I have to take it to a Callaway authorized retailer so they can measure it, and then they have to send it in to be properly swing weighted. Even though I ordered it at D3.

My advice would be to add lead tape and be done with it. You can move it around until placement suits you best. It even mutes the sound a bit. I have it on mine (D5), on the toe, and it will NOT go left. I actually added it to my driver, and the 3W. I add it because I don't care what the bottom of the club looks like (even though I cut it neatly before applying); I'm more particular with feel and results. In the end, why screw around with sending it here and there when it may not even make much a difference. The lead tape you can add right now and get the desired outcome, immediately.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

If anyone wants/needs a Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X or a Graphite Design G60 S for cheap, PM me. Both came in drivers I bought just for the heads and I don't need them... factory-installed adapters, stock 45.5" playing lengths.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Would the cotton ball trick not work with the SZ fw? Pretty easy to access the inside of the head when the weights are removed. Give it a go if you haven't already.

Would the cotton ball trick not work with the SZ fw? Pretty easy to access the inside of the head when the weights are removed. Give it a go if you haven't already.

How many cotton balls would I have to put in there?

LOVE IT, coming from 816, which was not bad either, the Epic SZ is a dream and it is not fade prone, I repeat not a fade prone. It is true to the path and one can work it (if one is skilled enough - I cannot, only straight and long) either way. It is the best driver I have ever had. The cover though is hopelessly ugly and useless. A standard HZRDUS shaft is worth every penny.

For those of you that actually had the chance to try it on the course already, what are your early thoughts so far, great driver or buyers remorse and wished you'd have bought something else. I know its very early for a lot of us, but those who are actually lucky enough to play now and have used it. What are your early thoughts

Yes. it is early for those in the northeastern part of the country, but I did have the opportunity to use my 10.5* Epic with the HZRDUS T800 shaft for 4 rounds in Florida a couple of weeks ago. I own both the Callaway 815 Alpha and last year's GBB and can offer some comparisons. I would consider both of these drivers draw biased, but would not include the Epic in the same category. In the stock setting, the driver just wants to go straight! You can make it draw or fade, but you have to be very deliberate in doing so. Looks, sound and feel are all subjective, personally I am positive on all three attributes. I may have gained some distance, but can't say that definitely until I play my home course. I can say that my dispersion was better, I think I may only have missed one fairway per round, and not by much. In a nutshell, although it is early, I am positive about my purchase.

On a side note, I also demoed the Epic SZ, but got better numbers with the Epic. It was just too low spinning for me in the standard setting. Forget about moving the heavier weight forward, the spin dropped another 3-500 rpm.

How many cotton balls would I have to put in there?

To get from D0 to D3 I think you need another 6 grams of head weight. Assuming each cotton ball weighs half a gram, you would need about 12 cotton balls. Seems a lot to try to stuff into a 3 wood head but they're easy enough to fish out using a drill bit.

I've been happily hitting the Fusion since its release until this morning when my stupid friend handed me his stupid Epic on the first hole and told me to try it. It's my home course; I know where a good drive goes. This was a full 15 yards longer than a normal Fusion drive. I had a club less into virtually every green and hit the Epic just as straight as I did the Fusion.

I didn't even get home without buying one.

I've been hitting the Fusion for about 4 months now as well.

Damn your eyes !!! :ninja: :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 4 weeks later...

The taylormade M2 2016 is a wonderful driver. So far, I think the epic is at least as good. It seems to be better on mishits. I haven't played a ton of rounds but it seems to be going my "summer" distances in 45-50 degree weather. I didn't get the subzero because, although is was straighter, the launch was super low. My epic is a 10.5 with a rogue max 75x.

Titleist tsi3 driver Evenflow White 6.0

Titleist ts3 3 wood

Srixon hybrid

Titleist t100s irons with $ taper shafts

Vokey sm8 50-54-58

Evnroll 1.2 putter

Pro V1

I'm still waiting to get to try a SZ (lefty), but I get better numbers from my XR 16 Pro than the standard Epic on the monitors...different shafts though.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

• 2 weeks later...

Luv it, I've hit one of the best drives on my usual course which the Ping G LS barely sniff 300, not demolish it like the Epic SubZero ATMOS :superman:

327 yards

33823228800_2baa76d183_b.jpg

YMWV, of course :taunt:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'm still waiting to get to try a SZ (lefty), but I get better numbers from my XR 16 Pro than the standard Epic on the monitors...different shafts though.

The numbers didn't warrant me pulling the 16 out of the bag either.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I've had a 2007 TM TP Burner with a Ozik X-con 5 shaft in the bag for about 8 years. I've tried every iteration of Titleist, a few Pings, almost every TM, and a few Callaway drivers in between. Nothing could kick out the Burner. It was anti-left, with a penetrating flight that went about 270. I tried the GBB Epic with the Oban Kiyoshi Gold and it impressed me more than any other driver I've tried in the past 8 years. It's definitely not anti-left, but even my worst swings find the first cut on the left side. It's high, long, and straight. Objectively, I haven't gained that much distance - about an extra 10 yards of carry but a little less roll so maybe 5-10 yards on average. The misses is where this club shines though. The Burner was much shorter on mishits. With the Epic toe hits hardly lose any distance and heel hits lose about 10 yards for me. The sound is a little dull and muted for my taste but doesn't take very long to get used to. I also gamed the R9 tp 3 wood for 7 years and upgraded to the epic 15* which delivered good results as well. For me, these clubs are the real deal.

My course is finally starting to get some roll out.

I changed the stock T800 for a T1000. Playing it at 46.25" (I am 6'5). My quality of strike has gone through the roof since the change to longer, lower spinning shaft.

I am reaching places on the course I have never seen. I used to back my G30 up in the fairway because I had so much spin. Everything was all carry. SZ has just given me a new confidence. I care about center over total distance. Just icing on the cake that it's longer than everything else on top of being straighter!

1st hole at my home course, 370 to center. My ball ended on the front fringe. 20 guys standing around the TeeBox jaws dropped and just turned to look at me! Feels good to just pipe one down the center in front of a crowd on the first tee. Last year I would be praying "PLease don't snap hook into those trees left"

How does it stack up forgiveness wise to the G LS Tec? Like someone above said, I need fairways over distance but I HATE the sound and feel of my G. I don't really care for the look at address either.

Th

The LS-Tec is far more forgiving compared to the Epic SZ. I really didn't like the look of the SZ but feel and sound are very good.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that for me the SZ was far too easy to hook and I just couldn't keep it on the fairway so for that reason I sold it.

When I had the Ls-Tec I hit it OK and pretty straight but didn't like the feel and for some reason it just felt like a 'cheap' club and not for me but definitely easier to hit than the Epic SZ.

Many do love it though and if you don't struggle with left then it might be ideal.

I have stuck with the 2016 M2 as I find it ridiculously easy to hit.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

How does it stack up forgiveness wise to the G LS Tec? Like someone above said, I need fairways over distance but I HATE the sound and feel of my G. I don't really care for the look at address either.

Th

The LS-Tec is far more forgiving compared to the Epic SZ. I really didn't like the look of the SZ but feel and sound are very good.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that for me the SZ was far too easy to hook and I just couldn't keep it on the fairway so for that reason I sold it.

When I had the Ls-Tec I hit it OK and pretty straight but didn't like the feel and for some reason it just felt like a 'cheap' club and not for me but definitely easier to hit than the Epic SZ.

Many do love it though and if you don't struggle with left then it might be ideal.

That is where people differ. I loved the G LS and thought it was pretty forgiving but the Epic SZ is hands down the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Even when I don't hit it dead nuts, I am not getting punished with distance loss. Throw on top of that how straight the flight is, and how long it goes, and Cally has def knocked it out of the park here with this one.

The worst drivers I have ever hit based on feel, and results are the 2016 M1/M2 drivers. They sound horrible, feel terrible and were just overhyped (to me). I don't ever get on with TM drivers though. I had the 2017 M2 and just sold it yesterday. They just can't keep up distance wise with the Epic.

Th

That is where people differ. I loved the G LS and thought it was pretty forgiving but the Epic SZ is hands down the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Even when I don't hit it dead nuts, I am not getting punished with distance loss. Throw on top of that how straight the flight is, and how long it goes, and Cally has def knocked it out of the park here with this one.

The worst drivers I have ever hit based on feel, and results are the 2016 M1/M2 drivers. They sound horrible, feel terrible and were just overhyped (to me). I don't ever get on with TM drivers though. I had the 2017 M2 and just sold it yesterday. They just can't keep up distance wise with the Epic.

I agree, everyone is different with drivers.

I haven't hit the 2017 M2 yet but the 2016 M2 is one of the best drivers I have ever hit for feel. Very solid and not too loud. I find it so easy to hit compared to the Epic SZ. I tried about 10 different shafts in the Epic but just couldn't hit the thing straight despite wanting it to be 'the one'.

I never found the Epic to be any longer than other clubs I have tried either but did like the way it felt.

I have a 2017 M1 440 that I love the look and feel of it but it isn't as easy to hit as the 2016 M2 either for me so it is getting binned as well.

It really does come down to trying one for yourself to see what works best because they all are different.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.