Inconsistency problem. Losing posture at impact

Hi there. Does anyone have any advice how to improve my swing in order to be more consistent. Watching the videos the posture of my whole body is poor at impact and my clubface is closed at the top. My hands are also high at impact which i'm not sure how big a problem it is although i'm 5"8inches and was fitted for upright clubs. My bad shots are a strong pull and a thinned fade/push.

Thank you

Driver

Driver (slow motion)

Driver front

Iron

Iron (slowmotion)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no master, but from your video it looks like through impact you close the clubface too much. There's an odd left sweep with the wrists where it's not a smooth arc. I have experienced that on and off and it does creep back. The arms look slightly disconnected but still pretty decent. Your hands are a high and that's why they did the upright adjustment. I like to keep the hands low so that they feel more loose and I get more distance that way too. Also it was a reason why my shots would curve left. I would upright the shaft and close the face doing all kinds of compensations. That said since you adjusted the clubs it will probably leak right a little since they are now upright if you lowered your hands.

I'd keep that great lower body turn going, and try to hit the ball feeling more connected (arm and torso) instead of manipulating it through impact. Ironically it actually goes straighter without any manipulation. If you look at Rory's swing (another guy who is not that tall but hits it a mile) his arms are much more connected through impact. That's something I'm trying to work on as well, and you'll notice the shoulders rotate in sync connected to the arms, basically maintaining that triangle through impact. There is some overswing and the swing seems to be a little flat. You're also hanging back a lot on the driver, and so encouraging the reach and flip. Just my two cents. Overall a decent swing, as the results show since you are a 4 cap.

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

Stance is a bit wide.

Arm swing is long.

A little bit of lateral move off the ball in the backswing.

Those three things aren't horrible, nor are they necessary to change. However, cleaning those up will make the real issue easier to fix.

Your pelvis doesn't have enough lateral movement. Because of this, you never get your pressure left enough. All of the things you listed are essentially compensations for this.

I'm no master, but from your video it looks like through impact you close the clubface too much. There's an odd left sweep with the wrists where it's not a smooth arc. I have experienced that on and off and it does creep back. The arms look slightly disconnected but still pretty decent. Your hands are a high and that's why they did the upright adjustment. I like to keep the hands low so that they feel more loose and I get more distance that way too. Also it was a reason why my shots would curve left. I would upright the shaft and close the face doing all kinds of compensations. That said since you adjusted the clubs it will probably leak right a little since they are now upright if you lowered your hands.

I'd keep that great lower body turn going, and try to hit the ball feeling more connected (arm and torso) instead of manipulating it through impact. Ironically it actually goes straighter without any manipulation. If you look at Rory's swing (another guy who is not that tall but hits it a mile) his arms are much more connected through impact. That's something I'm trying to work on as well, and you'll notice the shoulders rotate in sync connected to the arms, basically maintaining that triangle through impact. There is some overswing and the swing seems to be a little flat. You're also hanging back a lot on the driver, and so encouraging the reach and flip. Just my two cents. Overall a decent swing, as the results show since you are a 4 cap.

Thanks for all your help. It's ironic your saying that my lower torso is great because I've always felt thats one of my problems. My swing is started by my hips and I end up making a full hip turn half way into my backswing. I've been trying to reduce the hip turn for a while so thanks for stopping me reducing it while I've still got the turn.

Also 2016 was the year I finally reached a 4 handicap after spending 9 years off 5/6. Once I reached 4 I didn't play a competition for the rest of the season so I could brag about being off 4 through the winter :) .

I would love to have his swing.It seems if I shorten my swing the ball jumps off my club face with more control but lately my swing has lengthen which has led to less control and less distance and confusion on what to do.

Through 2016 my irons were the best part of my game and i think it was because I always took a club more and hit 3/4 swings, the worst part by far was the driver which would always have to be a full swing.

elclj9.jpg

I find the stance much too wide.

The grip seems a bit off, the top hand is quite strong and the bottom hand is weaker than that.

The overswing is just excessive.

I've always felt thats one of my problems.

it is. see below.

My swing is started by my hips and I end up making a full hip turn half way into my backswing.

I've been trying to reduce the hip turn for a while so thanks for stopping me reducing it while I've still got the turn.

The hip turn is like cowbells. More is (almost) always better. (almost !)

I find the right leg collapses alot early in the downswing. (right hip moves towards the ball vs. left hip moving back to meet the right.)

with your wide stance is it possible to transfer your weight back well ? It would have to be harder.

summary

- improper hip motion, in part due to setup.

- needless and large overswing.

- quite over the plane on the DS

- EE to shallow.

- nice hit on this ball :) (you compensated well).

try to sync up your turning in the backswing. The hands shoulders and maybe the hips should all stop their motions simultaneously.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Just curious ...

Are you aware of the idea that in the BS your right hip moves away from the ball target line and in the DS and transition, your goal is to keep the right hip the same distance from the ball target line, while bringing the left hip back to it's depth ?

Have you heard of that idea before ?

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Are you aware of the idea that in the BS your right hip moves away from the ball target line and in the DS and transition, your goal is to keep the right hip the same distance from the ball target line, while bringing the left hip back to it's depth ?

Have you heard of that idea before ?

If you haven't Shaun Clement has a Youtube Video on it, has hogan in the title I think.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Thanks for the replies. I Haven't heard of that idea. I watched one of Shawn clements videos on it and if i'm correct my hip turn on the BS is ok (out of sync though) with right hip moving outward but in the DS my right hip moves inward instead of my left hip moving outward?

I have been poor at clearing the club and that could be the reason. In the videos i put up my left foot isn't too bad in the follow through however I do have a tendency to slide it back and open my stance to allow for clearance which may because I'm moving towards the ball and not giving myself any room.