Where to play in April near Waltham

Enzogorlami

Coming from Phoenix area on business for a week at the end of April. 8 hdcp. Looked through the sub but didn't find anything directly. Looks like most of the courses in the NE don't broadcast through tee off or golfnow like they do here in PHX. Looking for some info on the best courses that are accessible to the public within an hour of Waltham. Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from Phoenix area on business for a week at the end of April. 8 hdcp. Looked through the sub but didn't find anything directly. Looks like most of the courses in the NE don't broadcast through tee off or golfnow like they do here in PHX. Looking for some info on the best courses that are accessible to the public within an hour of Waltham. Thanks

Granite Links in Quincy is one of the best facilities in the area that the public can access (I'm also a member, so biased), and is usually open by April. On the pricier side but worth it imo and only about 20-25 minutes from Waltham. Other nice public tracks to look at would be Red Tail and The International, but those may be on the outer edge of how far you want to drive. I'd start there. As you can imagine, even by April we're pretty dependent on the weather in terms of course conditions and even what's open. Last year we got a freak snow/ice storm on April 1 (sick April Fool's joke, not) and some courses were affected. Hope that's helpful.

Cape Cod is a bit outside your radius but south shore courses (Plymouth, Kingston area) are right on your 1 hr limit. Plus, Cape and South Shore have had serious snow melt and several courses are fully open. I wish I could provide course names but a google search would work. On mid cape, Hyannis is open and Olde Barnstable is supposed to open next week. They're decent munis.

Looks like most of the courses in the NE don't broadcast through tee off or golfnow like they do here in PHX.

That's because many of the courses here in New England are currently closed for the season. We have this white fluffy precipitation called ... snow, that blankets the ground making putting really difficult at best, and finding your ball in the fairway a lesson in futility. :)

Start looking near end of March/beginning of April when courses start opening again. Although there's no guarantee of that either. Some wait until mid april at the earliest.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I would disagree on the recommendations for Granite Links. Place is typically in very good shape and is close to the city, but IMHO a very difficult place to play only once. Tons of blind shots will make for a frustrating trip when you're only going to play it during a business trip.

If in Waltham to play decent places, you really have two options - go WEST or go SOUTH at least 45 minutes. There are a couple of sh*tty courses around Waltham that you can play (Wayland Country Club, Sandy Burr). They're short, in bad shape, and take a long time to play - but they are close and fairly reasonable. (I'll say they probably rounds won't be too long in april)

Per above, for South, head to Plymouth - Pinehills has two courses that are very good, Waverly Oaks is cheaper (and I say better), and Crosswinds (which I've never played) is supposed to be very good. Given southern location, April will be kinder to those courses than the ones West. If you head West, Red Tail, Shaker Hills, and Blackstone National are all within an hour drive from Waltham. Crumpin-Fox and the Ranch are a bit further and then Taconic (which is the Williams College course) is supposed to be awesome - but that's closer to two hours.

The one course that does not get enough love, IMHO, is George Wright. It's a muni in Boston, so conditions (particularly in April) will not be great. However, I think it is a great design (old Donald Ross), challenging with a ton of history. I make sure I play George Wright at least once per year given the architecture. If I were in your shoes, I'd play George Wright and then check conditions / prices for the other ones mentioned and pick accordingly

I would disagree on the recommendations for Granite Links. Place is typically in very good shape and is close to the city, but IMHO a very difficult place to play only once. Tons of blind shots will make for a frustrating trip when you're only going to play it during a business trip.

If in Waltham to play decent places, you really have two options - go WEST or go SOUTH at least 45 minutes. There are a couple of sh*tty courses around Waltham that you can play (Wayland Country Club, Sandy Burr). They're short, in bad shape, and take a long time to play - but they are close and fairly reasonable. (I'll say they probably rounds won't be too long in april)

Per above, for South, head to Plymouth - Pinehills has two courses that are very good, Waverly Oaks is cheaper (and I say better), and Crosswinds (which I've never played) is supposed to be very good. Given southern location, April will be kinder to those courses than the ones West. If you head West, Red Tail, Shaker Hills, and Blackstone National are all within an hour drive from Waltham. Crumpin-Fox and the Ranch are a bit further and then Taconic (which is the Williams College course) is supposed to be awesome - but that's closer to two hours.

The one course that does not get enough love, IMHO, is George Wright. It's a muni in Boston, so conditions (particularly in April) will not be great. However, I think it is a great design (old Donald Ross), challenging with a ton of history. I make sure I play George Wright at least once per year given the architecture. If I were in your shoes, I'd play George Wright and then check conditions / prices for the other ones mentioned and pick accordingly

Since OP is from Arizona Granite Links is like Quintero great views not exactly the best design

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/is-franklin-park-golf-course-in-dorchester-the-most-lit-course-in-the-world/?utm_campaign=SocialflowFB&utm_source=BarstoolFB&utm_medium=Socialflow

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/is-franklin-park-golf-course-in-dorchester-the-most-lit-course-in-the-world/?utm_campaign=SocialflowFB&utm_source=BarstoolFB&utm_medium=Socialflow

Franklin Park is different than george wright... both city owned and I believe managed by the same 3rd party, but different courses, although you do get some of the same experiences... I used to play FP more than GW due to proximity, but George Wright is so much better

The International will be open.

PM if you want to play there.

Has Stow Acres become so bad that people are suggesting he drive to the Cape? Stow is under 20 mi from Waltham....

There's a thread here on Stow if you want to read it, but they were sold last year. I run a league there and it's fine for us, especially since they (for now) have 2 courses we can play. But probably not my first recommendation to someone who's visiting.

Has Stow Acres become so bad that people are suggesting he drive to the Cape? Stow is under 20 mi from Waltham....

I think it's the late April timeframe that's driving a lot of the recommendations. The Cape area courses will have been open for a solid month plus and be in good shape. The 495 belt could still be hit or miss in the back half of April.

Good recommendations. In the higher priced range Granite Links, Redtail or Pinehills are good choices. Less expensive choices should include Butterbrook, Butternut and Olde Scottland Links should be on the list. Then there's always the Cape, but it's a little further away but might be better weather too. Consider Cranberry Valley and Captains if you head down there. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks on replies. Prob gonna go to granite links for sure. Will have to decide on others in the next few weeks.

Like i said earlier if your a fan of Quintero you will like Granite Links if you are not you will be disappointed in Granite links. Jones Course at Pinehills far superior

It's an OK layout but I live here ya know. But it's the reciprocal, I've never been to Boston area and wanna play a pretty course. Seems to be recommended enough so it will fill 1 day of my trip.

Thanks on replies. Prob gonna go to granite links for sure. Will have to decide on others in the next few weeks.

Like i said earlier if your a fan of Quintero you will like Granite Links if you are not you will be disappointed in Granite links. Jones Course at Pinehills far superior

It's an OK layout but I live here ya know. But it's the reciprocal, I've never been to Boston area and wanna play a pretty course. Seems to be recommended enough so it will fill 1 day of my trip.

Fair enough Ill be in Arizona April 6-13 can't wait

Fair enough Ill be in Arizona April 6-13 can't wait

I'm planning on golfing almost every day im there. So I will play plenty of courses.