2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Ping driver - 2017

mixxedbag

Lol at those saying Ping better sell.

Hey all - it's been a while since I've been able to browse the WRX netherworld in depth and contribute a bit. Been very busy with a new baby and a new job.

I'm hyped for the new G stuff...especially driver and hybrids. Those are next to be replaced in my bag. Although I really liked the Epic and Epic SZ (horrible names lol) and hit them well (most shots :tongue: ), I would like to see the next gen Gs. I still smash my G30LS pretty well and it's so forgiving. Still loving it.

One thing I will say about the rumors of the 400cc size is that I'd be extremely shocked if PING went this way. There were at least a couple of interviews where Marty Jertson stated that their design philosophy was to use all 460 allowable cc's when designing a driver. They believe it's much better to have a low back CG in driver design rather than dump the weight and CG forward near the face (erm, I fell for the SLDR hype too, I admit it, k?).

I remember him stating that the low back CG helps the head of the driver add dynamic loft at impact which helps launch the ball higher with lower spin, all while giving the player the benefits of high MOI (less twisting at impact and retention of ball speed on off-center hits). IIRC, he also mentioned in one interview (at a PGA tournament) that he noticed the pros who were playing well that week were driving it long and straight, and there was particular importance placed on driving the ball well that week (I know, right? Shocking revelation). This sort of supports their design philosophy of forgiving, straight drivers. At least that's what I'm getting from them.

Playing devil's advocate here - I know some people are too low spin-wise off the driver. I'm one of them. I tend to hit the ball off the top portion of the face, and if I don't launch it high enough, the ball sometimes drops out of the air, especially on my smother hooks. I was getting those drop off knuckle balls with the SZ in a 9.5° head during a demo. It seemed I needed a 10.5 head, or maybe a driver with a higher CG relative to the neutral axis to add some spin?

Anyway, just some thoughts but I'd be shocked if PING went smaller with their new driver. We'll have to wait and see.

Ping better bring some heat because they are way behind in the woods game in sales. Callaway is king, TM is queen, and Ping is somewhere around Titleist which is WAY down the list from the top 2 spots.

Ping releases every 18 months, TM and Cally every six.

You think Ping doesn't care about sales numbers? They exist to make a profit like any other company in fact they are more ruthless then most OEM's. I know more then 1 person who works for them and they don't mess around. Ping is a staple in the golf world and the G was a huge success but that was almost 2 years ago, they aren't selling G's anymore. I hope the G400 is great but they are going to have to up their game in several area's to keep up. I"m not sure they're capable of meeting the challenge and instead will sell drivers to the loyalists which shrink in number every year. Also I think they made a very bad move bringing clothing in house and pricing it so high. You ever seen someone with a Ping shirt?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if anyone wonders why Call & TM have short cycled to 6-mo, this non-sense above is why. The perception that they are "on top of their game" is just laughable. All OEMs work their butts off to get a good product. They just have different approaches to what they deem as the right way to get margin.

TM/Cally go towards a high-release cycle. The tech isn't terribly different from release to release, but if they say it is, it is. They make progress at roughly the same rate as Ping/Titleist. TM/Cally go for selling distance. Ping tend for forgiveness. Titleist tend toward anti-gimmick.

Here's the thing. The Marketing has NO CORRELATION to the Technology. If anything, Marketing is driving the paint colours. Marketing is the team that sees Callaway put | | and name it "jailbreak" because it's a buzzword. Marketing isn't saying, "we need something to match the cool word 'jailbreak'". There's nothing wrong with that, but the assumptions that are drawn here about technology relating to the rate of release are making my eyes bleed.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

And if anyone wonders why Call & TM have short cycled to 6-mo, this non-sense above is why. The perception that they are "on top of their game" is just laughable. All OEMs work their butts off to get a good product. They just have different approaches to what they deem as the right way to get margin.

TM/Cally go towards a high-release cycle. The tech isn't terribly different from release to release, but if they say it is, it is. They make progress at roughly the same rate as Ping/Titleist. TM/Cally go for selling distance. Ping tend for forgiveness. Titleist tend toward anti-gimmick.

Here's the thing. The Marketing has NO CORRELATION to the Technology. If anything, Marketing is driving the paint colours. Marketing is the team that sees Callaway put | | and name it "jailbreak" because it's a buzzword. Marketing isn't saying, "we need something to match the cool word 'jailbreak'". There's nothing wrong with that, but the assumptions that are drawn here about technology relating to the rate of release are making my eyes bleed.

Funny every trackman test I've seen shows that TECH is real, except dragon fly tech, that was shown to have zero effect. You make statements that no validity to them. Have you testing all of these heads on trackman? I have and the results were pretty damn clear. I try everything and could care less what makes my bag as long as it outperforms everything else. Callaway Epic is currently the best according to numbers. How's that marketing? Lol

Edel PROTO

Callaway Epic is currently the best according to numbers.

Best numbers in what category?

I've tested every 2017 driver out there. I need launch and spin. A 2008 Rapture V2 best everything out there for me.

The only two current drivers that came close were the F7 and G. Both low and rear weighted which is what I need.

While I wouldn't call the Epic super low spin compared to say the M1, M2 and Jpx900, it's still low enough and too low for me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Funny every trackman test I've seen shows that TECH is real, except dragon fly tech, that was shown to have zero effect. You make statements that no validity to them. Have you testing all of these heads on trackman? I have and the results were pretty damn clear. I try everything and could care less what makes my bag as long as it outperforms everything else. Callaway Epic is currently the best according to numbers. How's that marketing? Lol

Dragonfly tech is designed to save weight to boost MOI, not something that is necessarily going to show up on trackman.

Callaway Epic is currently the best according to numbers.

Best numbers in what category?

I've tested every 2017 driver out there. I need launch and spin. A 2008 Rapture V2 best everything out there for me.

The only two current drivers that came close were the F7 and G. Both low and rear weighted which is what I need.

While I wouldn't call the Epic super low spin compared to say the M1, M2 and Jpx900, it's still low enough and too low for me.

Callaway GBB Epic and M1 provided me the best dispersion from center on trackman over the M2, Sub Zero, Ping G LS, and Taylormade M2 2016. Distane and ball speed was best with Epic GBB. My decisions on what goes in my bag starts with numbers then goes to the golf course. Whatever wins on the course then goes in my bag. So if Ping G400 beats what I have it will be in the bag without hesitation.

Edel PROTO

If you believe the tech is real, then good for you; whatever gives you the confidence to play better. However, it is your experience, not indisputable fact. For every test you claim to have conducted, I can show you one where the Epic is equaled or bested. Just the way it is.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I agree with this. Launch monitor is not the golf course. I find a lot of golfers pay too much attention to ball speed and not enough to the dispersion. All you ever hear about is the distance.

For whatever reason, I tend to play better with rear and low CG drivers and it has shown up again and again when I try drivers. I didn't go looking for Ping. Salesman warned me off, said it "is known for being loud." Indoors, maybe. Outdoors, I don't even notice.

I tried the Epic and fully expected I would buy it, but I was not getting a major performance edge. And there are already plenty of Epics for sale and plenty of golfers who cannot control the Epic SZ on a golf course.

I also find spin has to be high enough, it is not always about lowering it. I can move the weight forward in an M1, for example, and my best swings, the drives go forever. My worst either die quickly or are off target.

I don't know that they are only bought by loyalists. Not a Ping loyalist and previously had only gamed one Ping driver, but the G stood out for best total driving in outdoor testing and was better than the Epic. I have a X2 Hot 3 Deep with an 80 gram whiteboard that I like better than the Epic. And I am not running into golfers out there bombing it past everyone because of their Epic. It is a nice club, and I am a Callaway player in the fairway clubs (have an Epic 5 wood that is great), but I did not like the overall results the Epic gave me vs the G. The Epic driver's jailbreak rods do not feel great to me.

I always thought past Ping drivers had a cumbersome shape. Was not interested. I really like the G's shape and I like the turbulators for alignment. Have found my confidence again with the driver. I like the way the club swings.

I would expect given the great tradition of engineering at Ping that, no matter who has left to go design more expensive Ping-like irons, the company has a boatload of engineering expertise. It was founded by an engineer and it is what they do.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

What statement isn't valid? That Callaway have a shorter cycle? That they market for distance? Why you bolded "tech" is weird to me. I didn't say anyone's tech is bad. All I said is that a 6 month cycle makes tech more incremental. But you read into it all you want; this is the internet.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Hey all - it's been a while since I've been able to browse the WRX netherworld in depth and contribute a bit. Been very busy with a new baby and a new job.

I'm hyped for the new G stuff...especially driver and hybrids.

Ping better bring some heat because they are way behind in the woods game in sales. Callaway is king, TM is queen, and Ping is somewhere around Titleist which is WAY down the list from the top 2 spots.

just curious, how much golf equipment do you sell every year?

I'm hyped for the new G stuff...especially driver and hybrids. Those are next to be replaced in my bag. Although I really liked the Epic and Epic SZ (horrible names lol) and hit them well (most shots :tongue: ), I would like to see the next gen Gs. I still smash my G30LS pretty well and it's so forgiving. Still loving it.

One thing I will say about the rumors of the 400cc size is that I'd be extremely shocked if PING went this way. There were at least a couple of interviews where Marty Jertson stated that their design philosophy was to use all 460 allowable cc's when designing a driver. They believe it's much better to have a low back CG in driver design rather than dump the weight and CG forward near the face (erm, I fell for the SLDR hype too, I admit it, k?).

I remember him stating that the low back CG helps the head of the driver add dynamic loft at impact which helps launch the ball higher with lower spin, all while giving the player the benefits of high MOI (less twisting at impact and retention of ball speed on off-center hits). IIRC, he also mentioned in one interview (at a PGA tournament) that he noticed the pros who were playing well that week were driving it long and straight, and there was particular importance placed on driving the ball well that week (I know, right? Shocking revelation). This sort of supports their design philosophy of forgiving, straight drivers. At least that's what I'm getting from them.

Playing devil's advocate here - I know some people are too low spin-wise off the driver. I'm one of them. I tend to hit the ball off the top portion of the face, and if I don't launch it high enough, the ball sometimes drops out of the air, especially on my smother hooks. I was getting those drop off knuckle balls with the SZ in a 9.5° head during a demo. It seemed I needed a 10.5 head, or maybe a driver with a higher CG relative to the neutral axis to add some spin?

Anyway, just some thoughts but I'd be shocked if PING went smaller with their new driver. We'll have to wait and see.

It's a good thing most of us don't care about sales numbers but rather how the driver performs. My Ping is as good or better than anything callaway or TM has put out, for me. They could fall behind bombtech and it wouldn't bother me as long as they keep performing. I know your not one of those guys, just was a weird time to come in talking sales numbers.

I'm referencing whatever it is they are bringing out and how it better be good. Swiz you're right I'm not one of those guys and I'm a ping fan as I played the G30 and G for a while but they lost some good engineers to other companies since the G came out and if a company gets too far behind in sales then it goes away. Sales numbers alway matter, look at TM and the extinct Nike.

On a side note the G400 sounds intriguing but I'm hoping they improve adjustability and alough more then speed bumps on the crown.

Ping lost some designers in between the launch of G25 and G30. Didn't lose any engineers since the launch of G product.

Hey all - it's been a while [...]

Ping better bring some heat [...] Callaway is king, TM is queen, and Ping is somewhere around Titleist which is WAY down the list from the top 2 spots.

It's a good thing most of us don't [...] I know your not one of those guys, just was a weird time to come in talking sales numbers.

I'm referencing whatever [...]

On a side note the G400 sounds intriguing but I'm hoping they improve adjustability and alough more then speed bumps on the crown.

J13, I have to agree. I really hope they bring something exciting to the table, although historically it has not been their style. They play the long game, making subtle but meaningful improvements and don't claim you'll gain 17 yards each iteration.

I've always respected Ping for this and I think many others do as well. We appreciate their honesty and the fact that they don't treat golfers like idiots.

But at the end of the day, they're a company that needs sales to stay alive. I highly doubt they'll change their strategy in terms of marketing/hype train/color schemes (remember RBZ stage 2?).

I want to see them do well but at the same time I don't want to see them fall into the hype train competition with other companies. It's just not they're style.

But then again, I wasn't expecting a 440cc head either!

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S 

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SUPER SELECT / GOLO 6 (H)

Does anyone under 50 years old play Ping?

I've played them for 20+ years and I'm still under 50. A few dudes on the tour (a little better than me), play them too.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S 

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SUPER SELECT / GOLO 6 (H)

Hey all - it's been a while [...]

Ping better bring some heat [...] Callaway is king, TM is queen, and Ping is somewhere around Titleist which is WAY down the list from the top 2 spots.

It's a good thing most of us don't [...] I know your not one of those guys, just was a weird time to come in talking sales numbers.

J13, I have to agree. I really hope they bring something exciting to the table, although historically it has not been their style. They play the long game, making subtle but meaningful improvements and don't claim you'll gain 17 yards each iteration.

I've always respected Ping for this and I think many others do as well. We appreciate their honesty and the fact that they don't treat golfers like idiots.

But at the end of the day, they're a company that needs sales to stay alive. I highly doubt they'll change their strategy in terms of marketing/hype train/color schemes (remember RBZ stage 2?).

I want to see them do well but at the same time I don't want to see them fall into the hype train competition with other companies. It's just not they're style.

An intelligent response! I agree 100%. I'm going to jump out of this thread now because others can't seem to have a normal conversation when someone challenges Ping to bring the heat. Any company that can produce a driver better then what I'm using means I get better perforamance on the course and I'm all for that. Not sure Ping will be able to do that but we will see.

Kenny gee Pucket - Lots but also my club gets most equipment and I have several of my primary shaft with different adaptors so I can try it all and not have to necessarily buy it. 80% of my testing and decisions are made by what it does on the course where it matters.

Edel PROTO

An intelligent response! I agree 100%. I'm going to jump out of this thread now because others can't seem to have a normal conversation when someone challenges Ping to bring the heat. Any company that can produce a driver better then what I'm using means I get better perforamance on the course and I'm all for that. Not sure Ping will be able to do that but we will see.

Kenny gee Pucket - Lots but also my club gets most equipment and I have several of my primary shaft with different adaptors so I can try it all and not have to necessarily buy it. 80% of my testing and decisions are made by what it does on the course where it matters.

Jump out whenever you see fit but I feel like most here are having normal conversations. We're just pointing out many of us do just as much or more testing than you do so our results are just as relevant as yours. I'm not up in the epic threads posting about how it didn't work for me and callaway better get their act together.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Swiz I'm not in the Epic thread either. I came here to check out the Ping 2017 stuff because I've played the Ping G but it didn't last due to getting beat by the 2016 TM M2. My original comment was I hope ping can bring the heat and people go bananas like how dare I call out Ping. Again I know people that work for Ping and have said the same damn thing to them and their response has been more productive then some of the members in this thread. I respect your opinion (you already know that) so my issue wasn't with anything you said. Anyway I wish we could have more banter around here instead of everyone taking things so personally. Kinda sad

Edel PROTO

If they can get Ping G moi in a smaller head, hopefully with a deeper face, I'm interested. Why is Ping holding out on carbon fiber dragon fly?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

All OEMs do a great job with their product.

However, I'm tried of people saying Callaway is on a 6 months cycle.

Fusion was a filler -- so I'll give you that one but it relaxes the V-Series

XR OS are still there because they are one of the #1 salers

BBOS irons replace the 2015 version

The Epic replaced the GBB of 2015. That's 18 months.

The Steelheads/pros replaced the XRs/XR pros ... 18 months.

The epic irons-- are a boutique added in from left field -- I'll give y'all that one.

So the apexs/XR16 are going to be replaced or should be around PGA show-- 18 months.

The only difference is Callaway has something new every year because it phases out the previous family line.

PING continues to make great products but some not all complain about the lack of distance compare to others.

I love all new products that come out from everyone because it really allows "us" to see what is better or not on the course or at demo days/fittings.

Competition is great or we would all be playing PXG ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

The epic irons-- are a boutique added in from left field -- I'll give y'all that one.

So the apexs/XR16 are going to be replaced or should be around PGA show-- 18 months.

The only difference is Callaway has something new every year because it phases out the previous family line.

PING continues to make great products but some not all complain about the lack of distance compare to others.

I love all new products that come out from everyone because it really allows "us" to see what is better or not on the course or at demo days/fittings.

So yeah, they do release something new at least every six months but they are just "fillers" or "out of left field".

That's called releasing stuff every six months. Callaway over the past 10 years has released more different models and versions than Taylormade. They used to absolutely FLOOD the channel with stuff constantly. Now the flood is merely a torrent.

So yeah, they do release something new at least every six months but they are just "fillers" or "out of left field".

That's called releasing stuff every six months. Callaway over the past 10 years has released more different models and versions than Taylormade. They used to absolutely FLOOD the channel with stuff constantly. Now the flood is merely a torrent.

Disagree good sir.

I'm stumped by the Epic/epic pro irons and they came out of nowhere. --Could be a good thing--

V series was a filler (2015) but work for a lot people when it came out and the Fusion replaced that so still 18 month for replacing the family line. This led Callaway down the path of building shorter drivers back to stock weight instead of "us" doing it.

That was/is a great thing.

So once again... v series 2015 was replaced by fusion.. still on that 18 month cycle

Callaway has many different family of clubs unlike others who build of existing line.

PING dip their toes but that with the PING Lst tech.

Not jumping up down or bashing any other OEMs but just making sure y'all realize it's not the great flood that TM/Callaway did a few years ago. They learned from that and curb it in my opinon.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Does a Callaway release date discussion belong in the "New Ping Driver" thread? Just wondering.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Ping Driver 2017 any updates? thanks

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Does anyone under 50 years old play Ping?

Yes! Guilty as charged! :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

400cc is a long shot unless Ping decides to supplement the line with an offshoot. The mainstay is almost certain to be 460, and the SF will be as well. The LS could move to 400 I suppose. We'll see...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Swiz I'm not in the Epic thread either. I came here to check out the Ping 2017 stuff because I've played the Ping G but it didn't last due to getting beat by the 2016 TM M2. My original comment was I hope ping can bring the heat and people go bananas like how dare I call out Ping. Again I know people that work for Ping and have said the same damn thing to them and their response has been more productive then some of the members in this thread. I respect your opinion (you already know that) so my issue wasn't with anything you said. Anyway I wish we could have more banter around here instead of everyone taking things so personally. Kinda sad

original was "PING better bring some heat because they are way behind in the woods game in sales. Callaway is king, TM is queen, and PING is somewhere around Titleist which is WAY down the list."

edit: then go on to state "Callway's EPIC is currently the best according to numbers."

so I still didn't get answer. do you personally sell golf equipment with multiple vendors in large volume accounts, actually do club fittings in high numbers with the variety of skill level golfers?