New Ping driver - 2017

mixxedbag

My PING G30 LS can hang with anything out there, but PING better bring the heat with this new driver and be atleast epic distance ridonkulong!

Or else!!

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swiz I'm not in the Epic thread either. I came here to check out the Ping 2017 stuff because I've played the Ping G but it didn't last due to getting beat by the 2016 TM M2. My original comment was I hope ping can bring the heat and people go bananas like how dare I call out Ping. Again I know people that work for Ping and have said the same damn thing to them and their response has been more productive then some of the members in this thread. I respect your opinion (you already know that) so my issue wasn't with anything you said. Anyway I wish we could have more banter around here instead of everyone taking things so personally. Kinda sad

original was "PING better bring some heat because they are way behind in the woods game in sales. Callaway is king, TM is queen, and PING is somewhere around Titleist which is WAY down the list."

edit: then go on to state "Callway's EPIC is currently the best according to numbers."

so I still didn't get answer. do you personally sell golf equipment with multiple vendors in large volume accounts, actually do club fittings in high numbers with the variety of skill level golfers?

I"m not going to repeat myself Kenny you are clearly a Ping guy. Two words for you GOLF DATATECH. Ok now I'm really out of this. BRING THE HEAT PING, that was for you Kenny. ;)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

J13, I'm a huge Ping fan, but I don't think Ping will ever be longer with the driver than Callaway or TaylorMade will be. I just don't think they want to spend the R&D money necessary to get there. They've never marketed towards being longer than Callaway or TaylorMade. They've marketed towards being slightly better than the other Ping models that preceded. Ping has been financially successful at doing so - maybe the most financially successful of all the major OEMs. So why would they change their strategy? To have the best driver and be lauded on WRX? I just don't think that's their biggest concern. Their concern is being a great business, putting out quality products, and being financially stable for the long-term. I could probably gain a few yards by playing the M2 or the Epic, but I despise TaylorMade and to a lesser extent Callaway and I will probably never play their equipment even though their drivers might help me. The one point I'm with you on is that there seems to be a lot of Ping loyalists that are older even though Ping targets college golfers. Will they be able to maintain and grow market share for those aged 20-40 is the question.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

A Google search shows that Ping owns the rights to g400 and g410. Maybe we will see a sub 460 model. I'll be shocked if the main line does not stay 460.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Swiz I'm not in the Epic thread either. I came here to check out the Ping 2017 stuff because I've played the Ping G but it didn't last due to getting beat by the 2016 TM M2. My original comment was I hope ping can bring the heat and people go bananas like how dare I call out Ping. Again I know people that work for Ping and have said the same damn thing to them and their response has been more productive then some of the members in this thread. I respect your opinion (you already know that) so my issue wasn't with anything you said. Anyway I wish we could have more banter around here instead of everyone taking things so personally. Kinda sad

I think when you follow up they better bring the heat with talking about sales numbers people get worked up. I would imagine most people who like Ping drivers don't care at all if another companies marketing strategies has them labeled as the king in sales. If I can shoot lower rounds with my Ping driver that's all I could hope for.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

J13, I'm a huge Ping fan, but I don't think Ping will ever be longer with the driver than Callaway or TaylorMade will be. I just don't think they want to spend the R&D money necessary to get there.

I don't believe this is the correct reasoning. It's not about spending money. Ping has always adhered to the rear and low CG methodology because that provides the best combination of high MOI (for forgiveness) and reasonably low spin (for distance). Ping's focus is to provide clubs that benefit the most players, and most guys benefit more from forgiveness than they do from a few more yards. Plus, they make the LS variant clubs with a more forward CG for the guys that want to chase distance.

The Callaway Epic has pulled a rabbit out of the hat in that they were able to increase COR while still meeting the CT limit. Ping has alluded to be working towards the same goal and I believe they will. Mind you we are into hair splitting territory here. There isn't a whole lot of meat left on the bone. We'll see, but even an incremental improvement over the G will be a success.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Since beginning to use Ping clubs about 5-1/2 years ago (or is it 6-1/2? time flies) I've given up worrying over specs and technology and sorting out the various marketing claims to figure out which are genuine features and which are simply hype. As long as I stick to the "G" range of Ping equipment they seem to have totally figured out how to make drivers and irons that work for hacks like me. If they want to go to non-uniform length patterns or 3/4 degree lie angle progressions or funny-seeming loft choices I just roll with it and damned if it doesn't all work out very well for me in the end.

With the drivers I've tried some of the alternatives enough to conclude I'm 100% in the category friend Nessism is describing. Make the MOI as high as possible, move that CG as far back and as low as it will go and put plenty of loft as befits my 90mph clubhead speed. I just buy a 12-degree Ping driver whether a G25, G30 or my current G SF Tec and it gets every bit of tee shot performance that I'm capable of producing.

As to whether Ping is just as dialed-in to the needs of better players, I have no idea. But I'l bet they have a pretty good handle on that, too. They really do seem to take a pretty stable, long-run approach in their designs. Choose a couple of key principles and then concentrate on refining the heck out of the details without changing the underlying goals.

I think part of the issue here is that we as golfers have a short memory. As the best selling driver that year, the G30 line was obviously a huge success for Ping.

From there, it's not clear to me that the G was enough of an upgrade to get a lot of G30 owners to make the switch. They either stuck with their G30s or went for something different. And the dragonfly crown and slightly different sound/feel probably didn't win over as many converts that the G30 did either.

From a sales perspective, Epic is this year's G30, but the Ms seem to have gained some traction. So yes, Ping is going to have its work cut out for a new driver to really stand out. It'll probably work really well for some and not so well for some others just like every club out there.

Don't worry about PING. They will net millions from this release.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Just got the email from my rep. The new line is called G400. Drivers, fairways, hybrids, crossovers, and irons.

I'll see them in person soon, although many others might before I do, or already have.

The LST heads will be 8.5 and 10. The SFT heads will be 10 and 12 like they are now.

The fairways will have a 3 stretch head and an SFT head.

Timeframe?

Just got the email from my rep. The new line is called G400. Drivers, fairways, hybrids, crossovers, and irons.

I'll see them in person soon, although many others might before I do, or already have.

The LST heads will be 8.5 and 10. The SFT heads will be 10 and 12 like they are now.

Timeframe?

Not sure how much I can reveal. You will see pics early July, with a late July release.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

I get the whole lineup. I do, honestly, don't know what G400 means, or i200. I still refer to my i200's as the way they read in the bag; oozi.

But hey, I'm not a marketing guy. Letter-somehundred seems to sound technical enough for BMW, so why not, right?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Hang on...

Confirmation of a second generation "G400 Crossover". That's going to make a large segment happy.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I get the whole lineup. I do, honestly, don't know what G400 means, or i200. I still refer to my i200's as the way they read in the bag; oozi.

But hey, I'm not a marketing guy. Letter-somehundred seems to sound technical enough for BMW, so why not, right?

I know that Tom Wishon mentioned he used a number based naming convention because it was easier from a patent perspective. May be why ping does this.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping i25 still long as anything out there. 440 head. Extremely low spin. 1/2 degree less adjustability than the new stuff. Probably less forgiving but there will always be a trade off.

the i25 is 460, I still use one too! can't anything longer or straighter

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Hang on...

Confirmation of a second generation "G400 Crossover". That's going to make a large segment happy.

This would make me very happy. All they need to do is make nearly the same profile with no offset. I would love a Ping club that is a "T-MB" type competitor.

Hang on...

This would make me very happy. All they need to do is make nearly the same profile with no offset. I would love a Ping club that is a "T-MB" type competitor.

That would be pretty cool.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I know that Tom Wishon mentioned he used a number based naming convention because it was easier from a patent perspective. May be why ping does this.

I think you mean trademark, rather than patent, but that would be correct. While there are certainly some goofy names out there, picking one isn't as trivial as it sounds.

To me, it makes sense in a roundabout way. This would have been a G40 by the old naming, but it looks like they're just adding a 0 on.

G400? I thought Ping started the series over with the G to simplify things? The next iteration at the time would have been the G35 and numbers would have gotten high and confusing. Now, they're going to the G400? I know this just happened with the I Series but it doesn't make sense IMO.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

Well, that's a reason to get a new bag... :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

G400? I thought Ping started the series over with the G to simplify things? The next iteration at the time would have been the G35 and numbers would have gotten high and confusing. Now, they're going to the G400? I know this just happened with the I Series but it doesn't make sense IMO.

That was under JK Solheim's dad. He's obviously making some changes...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Excited to see what tech they put into these woods. If they can make the G400 fairway woods as long as the rapture but as easy to hit as the G, then i'm all in!

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

How does G400 confuse people?

For one some people in this thread have said the new driver is 400cc.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Not sure...

Great Big Bertha Epic Sub Zero

"What a great driver!"

G400

"I don't get it... why is the name so long?"

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

For one some people in this thread have said the new driver is 400cc.

I got to see all the new stuff yesterday. Due to my realationship with my sales rep and that i'm a demo tech I don't want to put too much out there. The new line is called the G400. The driver is NOT 400CC. But it also not 460CC. Headshape looks great. I think everyone here will really enjoy it. Same adjustability. There also be a few additions to the Sigma G putter line. I think everyone will be very happy with an additional Tyne model.

Ping G410 LST 9* PX HC T1100 EvenFlow 75 6.5

Callaway Mini 1.5 10* PX HC T1100 Hzrdus 85 6.5
Ping G410 LST 14.5* PX HC T1100 EvenFlow 85 6.5

Ping G425 16.5* PX HC Hzrdus Black 95 6.5
Ping G410 17* PX EvenFlow White 100 6.5
Ping G425 XR 2i PX EvenFlow White 100 6.5
Ping I210 4-Pw Fujikura MCI 120 X
Ping Glide 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 WS Fujikura MCI Wedge Mild

Ping Eye 2 XG LW Recoil Proto Spin
Ping Redwood Anser TR 1.5