2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no putter is "magic" per se, but overall my putts per round haven't gone down. Granted, it's been two rounds, but just the general theme so far is that my lags, especially the long ones have gotten a lot better ( I think due to a higher MOI and increased feel) but short putts have gotten worse, I think mainly due to lack of alignment.

For whatever reason speed on long putts seems to be easier to gauge, but much harder on short stuff. Could be because I haven't used an insert in a long time, so I'm leaving many short putts short and low.

FYI - i have the Tour Black and was struggling with distance control for several rounds when i first got it. Thank goodness I had scheduled a full bag fitting with Club Champion; which was perfect because they identified that this putter loft was 1* (it is suppose to be 3.5*) and with my forward press i was putting negative loft on this putter. That was my problem with contol issues and inconsistencies. If it was not for this putter fitting - i would have probably sold this putter. They adjusted this putter to fit my stroke and now it is A LOT better. Anyone struggling with distance control might want to find somewhere to validate the loft of their putter along with their stroke.

I am now putting a great stroke on the ball each and everytime with very good distance control.

My putter fitting is this Sat. I've got this, my old Ping Ketsch, plus ER5, ER6, ER7 and an O works #7 that I'm all testing and being fit into the best for me.

Just picked one up 34" (JD) and put a SS slim 3.0 with 50g countercore

waiting on weather to clear up but here were my observation:

- Coming from SC Newport Studio select the spider definitely don't feel as soft. it's not that the spider feels horrible but just doesn't have that noticeable blade feel. It is definitely one of the better mallet in terms of feel

- Lining up without alignment line was easier than I expected. For those that mark and line up their ball (like me) there were no issue aiming

- Definitely feel MOI coming off a blade putter

- the ball gets rolling right off the bat

My only complaint about this putter isn't even about the putter. I wish at the very least the head cover would be magnetic instead of velcro.

I now why people say they have struggled with pace with this putter. I have been practicing this week on my indoor putting green and had no issues but that's a very fast surface. We have had nothing but rain all year and the course is an absolute swamp right now and the greens are rolling slower than I have ever seen. I really felt like I had to crush the ball to get it to the hole. I wasn't quite prepared and on the first green I had a 15 foot putt uphill that I left a solid 6 or 7 feet short. Hopefully with some practice with it ill get the pace figured out. And I think it'll get much easier once the greens get some pace to them.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

People can jump on me for this comment if they want but I've noticed a pattern on this thread about this putter.

It obviously doesn't effect me personally but it appears that so many want to love this putter but a similar comment gets put up by someone new on this thread every few days.

I'm paraphrasing here but the comments usually read something like, "Got this putter recently, took it out on the course, felt good but had mixed results, I may have to do something to my stroke for it to work better for me, long putts were coming up short, I think the type of greens I'm putting on currently is a reason why I'm not putting well with it, maybe when the greens speed up I'll improve, I'm hoping that I'll get used to it, I'll be gaming it for the next while and hope that results will improve."

If this putter works very well for you without you having to change anything about your stroke and not having to use the speed of greens as an excuse for not having a good putting round, I'm delighted for you and you should keep using it.

I believe that you're supposed to have a putter that you can putt with without having to subconsciously speed up or slow down your stroke, change your stance or manipulate your stroke in any other way.

It's not surprisingly at all that many others are saying on here that a load of these are going up for sale on various different platforms.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I now why people say they have struggled with pace with this putter. I have been practicing this week on my indoor putting green and had no issues but that's a very fast surface. We have had nothing but rain all year and the course is an absolute swamp right now and the greens are rolling slower than I have ever seen. I really felt like I had to crush the ball to get it to the hole. I wasn't quite prepared and on the first green I had a 15 foot putt uphill that I left a solid 6 or 7 feet short. Hopefully with some practice with it ill get the pace figured out. And I think it'll get much easier once the greens get some pace to them.

All due respect, but what you described could have happened with any putter, right? I've blown putts past the hole, and left putts 5' short, with blades, mallets, light, heavy, etc. Especially when conditions on the green are tough. Seems harsh to pin that on the Spider, but all good.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

People can jump on me for this comment if they want but I've noticed a pattern on this thread about this putter.

It obviously doesn't effect me personally but it appears that so many want to love this putter but a similar comment gets put up by someone new on this thread every few days.

I'm paraphrasing here but the comments usually read something like, "Got this putter recently, took it out on the course, felt good but had mixed results, I may have to do something to my stroke for it to work better for me, long putts were coming up short, I think the type of greens I'm putting on currently is a reason why I'm not putting well with it, maybe when the greens speed up I'll improve, I'm hoping that I'll get used to it, I'll be gaming it for the next while and hope that results will improve."

If this putter works very well for you without you having to change anything about your stroke and not having to use the speed of greens as an excuse for not having a good putting round, I'm delighted for you and you should keep using it.

I believe that you're supposed to have a putter that you can putt with without having to subconsciously speed up or slow down your stroke, change your stance or manipulate your stroke in any other way.

It's not surprisingly at all that many others are saying on here that a load of these are going up for sale on various different platforms.

This sounds like it could be said by almost every golfer, about every putter.

Some people just can't accept that they just aren't that good on the greens... even after trying 20 putters in a year and still not finding "the one." LOL

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have been playing with one the past few weeks and really like it. I may make it my gamer for the foreseeable future.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I think the reason people are willing to change their stroke or make excuses etc is because this putter A) looks super sexy and B) feels really good. They want it to work because they want to keep A and B, but also hope the putts get better, too. Sometimes people do require a small adjustment period with a new club/shaft depending with what you came from.

Granted, you shouldn't take 2 months to see marked improvement if the club actually is right. Plus, a lot of these people I assume didn't actually get fit into the putter. Let's keep in mind of some OEM's sketchy record of quality at times, and honestly who knows if your putter head is the correct weight, lie, or loft. You truly can't count something out until you get fit and have the thing measured.

Quick anecdote, but I got a new M1 driver that I HATED. Turns out, the SW was like C8 or something insane because the head was a full 12 grams underweight from where it should have been. Added some lead tape and took it up to 202g and boom... drives were going literally 20 yards further immediately. I didn't keep the head for other reasons, but it just goes to show how things should be checked and verified before you write it off.

Some people just can't accept that they just aren't that good on the greens... even after trying 20 putters in a year and still not finding "the one." LOL

That's a fair point but what I'm saying is that people are doing exactly that with this putter in particular. I totally understand how marketing and endorsing works but it seems because the likes of JD, DJ, Garcia, Rahm etc are doing so well with these putters, people's attitudes are, and again I'm paraphrasing, "I'm not putting well but I'm gonna post on here an excuse as to why I'm not putting well with it but I believe in time, my putting with this putter will come good but despite the not so good results, I'm going to keep on using this putter."

If it was any other putter, I believe most people with this attitude would've thrown in the towel with it much quicker.

I agree as well with you that people can look at 20 putters and still be looking for the one. If it was any other putter, most would've discarded it by now. But because some of the top guys on tour are son successful with it, they're giving it more time in the hope that they'll get used to it. My opinion is that you should get fitted, play around with a few putters that match or are similar to your specs and then select the one that you really feel you putt well with it and that it inspires confidence.

Instead, many seem to want to like this putter as opposed to it fitting their stroke. I have difficulty comprehending why you would voluntarily change your putting stroke in a variety of ways just to have a cool looking putter. This is what's going with this putter from my perspective.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I think the reason people are willing to change their stroke or make excuses etc is because this putter A) looks super sexy and B) feels really good. They want it to work because they want to keep A and B, but also hope the putts get better, too. Sometimes people do require a small adjustment period with a new club/shaft depending with what you came from.

Granted, you shouldn't take 2 months to see marked improvement if the club actually is right. Plus, a lot of these people I assume didn't actually get fit into the putter. Let's keep in mind of some OEM's sketchy record of quality at times, and honestly who knows if your putter head is the correct weight, lie, or loft. You truly can't count something out until you get fit and have the thing measured.

Quick anecdote, but I got a new M1 driver that I HATED. Turns out, the SW was like C8 or something insane because the head was a full 12 grams underweight from where it should have been. Added some lead tape and took it up to 202g and boom... drives were going literally 20 yards further immediately. I didn't keep the head for other reasons, but it just goes to show how things should be checked and verified before you write it off.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I would repeat a lot of what I just posted back to someone just above this post.

I agree as well with what you said about a small adjustment period but what many say they're willing to do and change as well as the excuses to justify keeping it for a while longer in their bag is jaw dropping.

For the record, I think this putter looks amazing and I was a little disappointed that it didn't feel right for me when I tried it. But it appears that many people feel the same way about this putter as me but they're still willing to game it. It's a real head scratcher.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've seen many above average and decent players in my club stick with this putter despite their putting getting worse but I'm assuming that they're sticking with it just because it's doing well on Tour and that it looks really cool.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

That's a fair point but what I'm saying is that people are doing exactly that with this putter in particular. I totally understand how marketing and endorsing works but it seems because the likes of JD, DJ, Garcia, Rahm etc are doing so well with these putters, people's attitudes are, and again I'm paraphrasing, "I'm not putting well but I'm gonna post on here an excuse as to why I'm not putting well with it but I believe in time, my putting with this putter will come good but despite the not so good results, I'm going to keep on using this putter."

If it was any other putter, I believe most people with this attitude would've thrown in the towel with it much quicker.

I agree as well with you that people can look at 20 putters and still be looking for the one. If it was any other putter, most would've discarded it by now. But because some of the top guys on tour are son successful with it, they're giving it more time in the hope that they'll get used to it. My opinion is that you should get fitted, play around with a few putters that match or are similar to your specs and then select the one that you really feel you putt well with it and that it inspires confidence.

Instead, many seem to want to like this putter as opposed to it fitting their stroke. I have difficulty comprehending why you would voluntarily change your putting stroke in a variety of ways just to have a cool looking putter. This is what's going with this putter from my perspective.

I'd agree with all of that, but it can also be applied to every club in the bag.

Remember how many people were playing SLDRs, even though it was working against them the majority of the time (but that one long ball per round...)?

I think we are hearing a lot of this in regards to this putter, because it's the only readily available putter of its kind. If there were slant/flow neck high moi mallet offerings from Odyssey, Scotty Cameron and Ping, the same opinions would exist, but they'd be much more scattered about. And with the success of this putter, I'm sure we will start seeing more offerings from other companies.

And this isn't the only putter that people try to "make it work" with. There are tons of people out there that take the plunge on their first Scotty Cameron, without getting fit for it, and end up with a putter that isn't great for their stroke... but they make it work, because... well... they like looks, sound, feel, the fact that they are all over the tour, etc...

I just see this as an extremely unique situation because the Spider is a bit of a unicorn, at retail. Anyone who wants to try a flow/slant neck mallet only has two choices... red or black.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've seen many above average and decent players in my club stick with this putter despite their putting getting worse but I'm assuming that they're sticking with it just because it's doing well on Tour and that it looks really cool.

Give it time, people will move on if it isn't working. In my case, I have simply been playing so little, that I can't draw a real conclusion yet about how well I putt with the Spider Tour. Bottom line though, putting isn't easy. I've been watching PGA Tour Live (the Fed Ex St. Jude Classic) today on my iPad, and these guys are all missing some putts. Scott (Scotty mallet), Mickelson (Versa #9), Love III (Scotty blade). I did see Schwartzel make one with his Spider Tour though... :taunt:

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Give it time, people will move on if it isn't working. In my case, I have simply been playing so little, that I can't draw a real conclusion yet about how well I putt with the Spider Tour. Bottom line though, putting isn't easy. I've been watching PGA Tour Live (the Fed Ex St. Jude Classic) today on my iPad, and these guys are all missing some putts. Scott (Scotty mallet), Mickelson (Versa #9), Love III (Scotty blade). I did see Schwartzel make one with his Spider Tour though... :taunt:

Oh putting is so hard. To me, Speith switching to a mallet made my question a lot of things. If he made a switch, then no one is safe ?

Like Sean289 said a few posts back, if this putter works for you, never stop using it but if it doesn't feel right, it wouldn't be wise to stick with it for 3 months in the hope that you'll become DJ or JD like some appear to be doing.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

All due respect, but what you described could have happened with any putter, right? I've blown putts past the hole, and left putts 5' short, with blades, mallets, light, heavy, etc. Especially when conditions on the green are tough. Seems harsh to pin that on the Spider, but all good.

I wasn't meaning it to come off as the putter is bad because of this I'm just saying the ball comes off the face much softer than any putter I've tried in the past and will take some getting used to.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Put a GTR 2.0 grip on my DJ spider...

This thing is going no where...

Best .putter. Ever

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Cut mine down to 33.5 and went out to practice yesterday. Awesome. Ball starts where I want and I have speed control with it like no other putter I've ever owned or tried. Think I found the one. <3

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I'm gonna counter that multiple guys at my club are putting lights out with both models of this putter respectively. Ive read thousands of success stories not only on WRX but Hackers and a few other golf forums.

It is helping more people than it is hurting

Lets get the narrative right

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Which "narrative" is that ?

This thread is chock full (read - vast majority) of guys saying they LOVE the putter.

So a few guys post they're having trouble with it and you think that suddenly becomes the "narrative".

Try the KSig thread - you'll fit in quite well there. :russian_roulette:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I'm gonna counter that multiple guys at my club are putting lights out with both models of this putter respectively. Ive read thousands of success stories not only on WRX but Hackers and a few other golf forums.

It is helping more people than it is hurting

Lets get the narrative right

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Which "narrative" is that ?

This thread is chock full (read - vast majority) of guys saying they LOVE the putter.

So a few guys post they're having trouble with it and you think that suddenly becomes the "narrative".

Try the KSig thread - you'll fit in quite well there. :russian_roulette:

Bit dramatic there eh bud

I have multiple posts in this thread alone stating my excitement to get my own and liking other success stories too.

Just wanted to clarify towards the last handful of posts. Your response is really weird. Ps I don't play K Sigs. Lostgolfballs kinda guy...

Lay off the haterade

I have always been a streaky putter. Mostly due to speed inconsistencies. I have been absolutely lights out with this putter. The confidence I have 10ft and in is unreal and my make percentages have been through the roof with it.

Purchased a SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0 to see if it can help a little with my claw grip as the original doesn't allow the finger placement I would like but other than that this thing will be in the bag for a long, long time. The only thing that I am even contemplating buying is a custom Odyssey when the Garage opens up in the future and even then I will have a flow neck mallet.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

Just picked up the black one today. Will put the same grip you are using on it here this week. My question for you is are you using the additional 50g weight that came with it?

I have always been a streaky putter. Mostly due to speed inconsistencies. I have been absolutely lights out with this putter. The confidence I have 10ft and in is unreal and my make percentages have been through the roof with it.

Purchased a SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0 to see if it can help a little with my claw grip as the original doesn't allow the finger placement I would like but other than that this thing will be in the bag for a long, long time. The only thing that I am even contemplating buying is a custom Odyssey when the Garage opens up in the future and even then I will have a flow neck mallet.

I bought this putter for all the wrong reasons (all the guys at the masters who used one, and most of them lost the tournament), but I have been putting great with it. It's easy to aim, and my putting has greatly improved. For the first time in 20 years playing, I actually enjoy putting.

Hope it will work for Rory too.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original