One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at one length irons for a while and I see pros and cons to it. Personally have always felt that I hit my 9 iron the best out of my short clubs and find myself using it for most shots from 120 to 150. It always feels right in my hands and I don't find much use for my 8 iron. So ideally if I had as set of one lengths I would cut the 9-G to standard 9iron length and

have swing weight and lie adjusted. Then leaving the 5,6,7,8. I guess my question is if I wanted to base my set off the fact that I hit my 9 iron the best is Cobra's single length irons set the best place to start?

Got my first chance to hit my new to me set of Forged One SL irons with UST 110 F4 Recoils at 37 1/4" this morning. After a few warm up balls on the range, I hit them very well! No problem with ball flight trajectory with longer or shorter irons. I did notice that about 1 out of 5 shots, I would push the short iron shots and pulled about 1 out of 5 long iron shots. Not sure if that was do to the 'supposed to be stock' lie angles or subconsciously trying to ease up on short ones and step on the long ones a bit. I was always able to refocus and hit a good straight shot after a pull or push shot so leaning towards the latter but could be a bit of both as this is a used set and I usually play 2* up and plus 1/2" in VL irons. I even quickly gained the confidence to play around with working the ball a bit with the GW which I really do not ever do much of and did so successfully.

Overall though with just a bucket of 60, 75% of them would have been in the fairway with dispersion of no more than 10 yards offline left or right and half had a left to right dispersion of less than 5 yards. That includes warm up shots. The little muni range I was hitting at has no distance markers so I can not really tell yet on distance but they do seem maybe a bit longer than any of my VL sets and yes, there is some bunching, particularly with the GW, PW and 9i but also noticeable gaps between all of the other clubs. Overall I am thrilled with them for a first time out.

Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey

• 2 weeks later...

It's been too hot and humid to play this past week and rain forecast all next week so i have had time to think a bit. Granted it is limited experience so far but I truly believe that for me anyway, the potential with these SL irons exists to play the best golf of my life. So what's the problem? I love variety. I love equipment. I have been playing several sets of irons for years and I enjoy switching it up. If I practice and play with just the SL irons and groove my swing and tailor my game to them, what is going to do my game if I want to play some of my old favorite VL sets? I would imagine I would hit the long irons fat all day and the short irons thin. No telling what a few rounds of VL would do to the progress I had made when I went back to the SL set either. So I may have a decision to make. Commit fully to the Forged Ones SL set or scrap the experiment and potential now when it has just barely begun before I get stuck in no man's land between the two styles.

Knowing me, I am probably over thinking it as usual.

Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey

I am interested in trying out the F8 One Length Irons but have a quick question. I am a very new golfer and I just did the Titleist Thursday fitting and was fitted for AP1's w/ AMT tour White S300 Shafts (1/2" Short , 2 Degrees Flat). My question for the F8 OL is they have a shaft specific for the OL XP90 Steel which is lighter weight I think from what I was fitted for is it advisable to choose other shafts then what they have specifically made for their One Length??

I am interested in trying out the F8 One Length Irons but have a quick question. I am a very new golfer and I just did the Titleist Thursday fitting and was fitted for AP1's w/ AMT tour White S300 Shafts (1/2" Short , 2 Degrees Flat). My question for the F8 OL is they have a shaft specific for the OL XP90 Steel which is lighter weight I think from what I was fitted for is it advisable to choose other shafts then what they have specifically made for their One Length??

No. Use the one length specific shafts in one length irons. They are not simply all a 6 iron shaft. They vary slightly through the set. The short irons have a firmer tip to keep the ball down and the long irons have a softer tip to get the ball up. The are very much “flighted” shafts.

Played a few rounds with my F8s. I definitely feel more confidence over the ball. Yes, still plenty of bad shots, fat, skulled, topped, but I feel like more consistent good strikes than I was getting with my TM M2s.

Really liking the F8 OL 5h. When I flush it, it goes. "Short" irons (8,9,PW, gw) go sky high and drop and stop. I hit a towering 7i the other day on a par 3. Uphill, 140, playing probably 150. There was a very tall tree in front and left of the green, virtually obscuring the entire thing. I said "how are we supposed to play this?" to my partner. Teed up, hit a 7, and went over the tree, landed 10' from the hole (of course I 2 putted ?)

I'm sold.

I am really interested in checking out the Cobra Forged Tec One Length and one lengh hybrids (to see if I can get more consistent -- particularly with the longer clubs).

I love my existing graphite iron shafts (Steelfiber i95cw). Anyone try these shafts in one length irons?

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

• 3 weeks later...

So I've decided to get try this again and give it a solid commitment this time. I picked up a 4-9 iron on a FB trading page in the Forged Tec Black with the AMT Tour White. I also ordered a PW and GW from Cobra, though I got those -3/4 and -1.0 inches respectively to counter the overly high ball flight on the wedges, and full wedge play had been my strong suit lately.

My issue lately has been long irons. Even if I give up 3-5 yards with these, if I can get better consistent contact, my game will improve.

VL irons are going in the closet (or on the BST) for the winter.

So much positive feedback in this thread, I’m definitely going to look at these when it comes time for new irons...

Like I've said in here a bunch just be open minded and give them a look at least.

It isnt for everyone but they can really help if its the right choice for your game.

I wonder if we will see combo sets that are 1 length for the long/mid irons and another length for the short irons and wedges?

So much positive feedback in this thread, I’m definitely going to look at these when it comes time for new irons...

Like I've said in here a bunch just be open minded and give them a look at least.

It isnt for everyone but they can really help if its the right choice for your game.

I wonder if we will see combo sets that are 1 length for the long/mid irons and another length for the short irons and wedges?

Possbily? I think a staggered set could work for some.

I know I just wanted to fully commit from LW to 4 iron to simplify everything in the 205 and under range for me.

I contacted Cobra in Carlsbad for a fitting since I live 20 mins away. They refered me to Encinitas Ranch where they have an official tour truck for fittings. That is like 10 mins from my house so I am very lucky. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to wait to see if the F9 will be released soon. I am going SteelFiber so these will be very costly since I'm going all in, hybrids, irons and wedges. This will be the most I've ever spent on irons and I'm just wanting to get the best possible set for me.

I contacted Cobra in Carlsbad for a fitting since I live 20 mins away. They refered me to Encinitas Ranch where they have an official tour truck for fittings. That is like 10 mins from my house so I am very lucky. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to wait to see if the F9 will be released soon. I am going SteelFiber so these will be very costly since I'm going all in, hybrids, irons and wedges. This will be the most I've ever spent on irons and I'm just wanting to get the best possible set for me.

Very lucky you are so close. I hope you can share a full report after your fitting.

I took my black ftec to the range today after experimenting with some blade VLs for the last month or so and the love came rushing back; they feel great and go high and straight. When I don't put a good swing on them the still go dead straight but a lower. Really curious about the utility off the deck if anyone has insight.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I have played a full set of OL irons, 5i - LW for two seasons now (Pinhawks and F7 OL)with good results. My average score has gone down and my GIR are up. It took a while to get used to the length of the wedges, but now they are my favorite clubs. And,they have provided me a lot of birdie ops lately. About the only negative I can see is that sometimes the ball will spin back off the green on downhill par 3's with the more lofted clubs, and soft greens. Most of the time the extra spin off the wedges is great, the ball lands like bean bag on all but the hardest greens. No issues holding greens with the 5i. The gaps are good, and distance control is great. I did play a 4i for a while, but at 20 degrees of loft, strike is pretty critical, there's no getting around that imho. You do need to have some club head speed to get good results with the 4 and 5. I hope that, since Bryson is winning a lot now, that Cobra will continue to develop and improve OL clubs. I don't see a downside with continuing to play them full time. I tried the F8's some and they are a bit of an improvement, but not enough to switch yet. I sometimes think I probably should have gone with the forged OL, but again the difference is not enough to make me switch, just yet.

I made the switch to Cobra F7 OL irons at the end of the 2017 season and played with them all this year. I have been a loyal Ping customer for years owning many many models. For me the Cobra's are just a simple way to play. Set up like hitting a 7 iron all the time regardless of iron.... I wish I would have learned to play golf with a OL set...

I made the switch to Cobra F7 OL irons at the end of the 2017 season and played with them all this year. I have been a loyal Ping customer for years owning many many models. For me the Cobra's are just a simple way to play. Set up like hitting a 7 iron all the time regardless of iron.... I wish I would have learned to play golf with a OL set...

Me too. Die hard Ping guy to a Cobra F7 one length guy.

I would only switch if Ping made a Single length set.

I think SL would be the most effective way for young players or beginners to learn golf and I wish I had known about it years ago.

Me too. Die hard Ping guy to a Cobra F7 one length guy.

I would only switch if Ping made a Single length set.

I think SL would be the most effective way for young players or beginners to learn golf and I wish I had known about it years ago.

Have you seen the GolfWRX shop video [episode 8] on converting PXG 0311 irons to SL ? This has me very interested.

I have taken my Cobra Forged One irons out of the bag for now but I haven't given up these, or one length, yet. As a tall golfer, I love that these are shorter in the long irons without the outrageously heavy swing weights that I have to deal with as a taller golfer (typically irons that are +1 inch).

My only problem with these irons is the trajectory and gapping at the top end of the bag. I have already pulled the 4-iron out but the 5 still flies too low and the gap between 5 and 6 is a little too small. But I don't have any other complaints. I have these in 5 through gap wedge. The wedges go very high but they are manageable.

I experimented with the one length sand and lob wedges and did fine with them, but found I was just more consistent and had better touch with my SM7s. I hope Cobra comes out with another player's version of one length that improves on the Cobra Forged One irons, which were a great first attempt.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I have taken my Cobra Forged One irons out of the bag for now but I haven't given up these, or one length, yet. As a tall golfer, I love that these are shorter in the long irons without the outrageously heavy swing weights that I have to deal with as a taller golfer (typically irons that are +1 inch).

My only problem with these irons is the trajectory and gapping at the top end of the bag. I have already pulled the 4-iron out but the 5 still flies too low and the gap between 5 and 6 is a little too small. But I don't have any other complaints. I have these in 5 through gap wedge. The wedges go very high but they are manageable.

I experimented with the one length sand and lob wedges and did fine with them, but found I was just more consistent and had better touch with my SM7s. I hope Cobra comes out with another player's version of one length that improves on the Cobra Forged One irons, which were a great first attempt.

I like having the longer short irons, but haven't had any luck with the longer irons. I am thinking of dropping the 5iron and going to a vl 22 and 27 dhy type clubs.

I have been hit and miss with the 5... Love the 6.. so I went standard F8 4 hybrid and just dropped the 5. Incan choke down if needed and I carry an extra wedge.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I have been hit and miss with the 5... Love the 6.. so I went standard F8 4 hybrid and just dropped the 5. Incan choke down if needed and I carry an extra wedge.

I did the exact same thing. My 5 and 6 had next to no gap. I went with an F8 5 hybrid in regular length. I tried the OL Hybrids but I couldn't hit them at all. Love the regular length. I'm down to OL 6-PW. VL below 6i and above PW although if I had space in the bag I'd carry the OL Gap for full swing shots and keep the Vokey 50 for chips and pitches.