2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New pxg clubs

Nick mrkonja

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he's a marketing genius.

You need your cheap "entry level" product. The 0311 line. And then you of course need the "premium" line. The super special, best material, most incredible manufacturing process on the planet, premium line.

If you can get tens of thousands of people to spend $2800 or more on a set of your "standard" irons, then how much could you get for a "super premium" model?? Who knows, but Bob is going to try and figure that out. I hope the next model is $5000+ a set so I can sit back and laugh at all the goofballs with more money than good sense.

Mainly what others are saying. Because he wants to make money and if he can already convince people to spend a lot more than a typical guy can/will then why not try to make the next product even that much more exclusive. Pretty limited market but if he can make it work then more power to him. I have no problem with that aspect, it's just the arrogance that the company comes off with that is a turn off for me personally. Those commercials are awful and honestly kinda funny. You would think the clubs are magical or something.

Status symbol clubs that probably perform no better than other OEM's.

I'm sure the guy that brings his PXG clubs to the course & gets beat by his buddies takes a lot of ribbing & abuse. Lol.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Mainly what others are saying. Because he wants to make money and if he can already convince people to spend a lot more than a typical guy can/will then why not try to make the next product even that much more exclusive. Pretty limited market but if he can make it work then more power to him. I have no problem with that aspect, it's just the arrogance that the company comes off with that is a turn off for me personally. Those commercials are awful and honestly kinda funny. You would think the clubs are magical or something.

I love those commercials! Theyre bold and I like bold. But hes also authentic in a way, I mean he threw alot of money at the endeavor and does beleive in making the best gear possible. His fitting experience from what Ive heard is a top notch stay and play optional setup = genius. I admire the guy and would like to try the irons in LH but not readily available.

I love those commercials! Theyre bold and I like bold. But hes also authentic in a way, I mean he threw alot of money at the endeavor and does beleive in making the best gear possible. His fitting experience from what Ive heard is a top notch stay and play optional setup = genius. I admire the guy and would like to try the irons in LH but not readily available.

I think he likes to make money. He's done that in his life. He loves golf, so this is an extension of that. It's just the arrogance to think you are doing something groundbreaking or that much better than others. If it was purely money that was keeping golf equipment from performing leaps and bounds better than other existing equipment then every pro would be on board. To each his own, I'm not a hater, It's America and people can do, say, buy whatever they like to. Pure gold clubs would be a very nice option for the future. The glare may affect playability though.

Kia vs Lexus?

More like Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES. Same car, same performance, different badges, different prices.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Mr parsons recently was interviewed and he stated pxg clubs are going to be a lot more expensive. Does anyone know why this is?

To my knowledge, there is no plan for more expensive iron for mass-produced line...

They do have the whole line of products in LH

Kia vs Lexus?

More like Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES. Same car, same performance, different badges, different prices.

What's with the constant car comparisons? Have you even ever been to one of the Lexus and compared that to the Toyota?

Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES MIGHT share the same underpinnings and engine, but I think that's where the similarity ends. They do not even share the same suspension setup.

To be fair, I think Toyota created the two cars for different market and different purpose. The main distinction though, is that the Lexus brand is created to be Toyota's upmarket line trying to take the European cars head-on for different kinds of buyers. Bear in mind, in Asia they regard European cars as the highest standard in auto industry thus Toyota is taking the fight to the Europeans with Lexus. So is Nissan with its Infinity lines, Honda with Acura and so forth. These brands don't even exist in Japan because the Japanese themselves are proud of their own products and they do not need a fancy brand to convince them that their products are better than the Europeans!

For the luxury interior and technology as well as entertainment features that you get in a Lexus (compared to its Toyota sibling), the ride quality due to different and often times more sophisticated suspension setup that the Lexus have compared to Toyota's and the added safety features... can you say you are buying an over-priced Toyota? Some of these extras take Lexus closer to the European marquees and maybe exceeded them.

Have you been in both cars, you should know what I am talking about. Are they still, essentially, the same car? Perhaps, if your definition of cars is a 4-wheeled equipment that takes you from point A to point B and maybe back to A. But to those who enjoys the journey more than the destination, they are NOT the same car and the Lexus are created for exactly these kinds of people... and maybe the show-offs, too.

Mr parsons recently was interviewed and he stated pxg clubs are going to be a lot more expensive. Does anyone know why this is?

Because he can and because he knows people will pay for them.

PXG clubs may be great performers but they're also status symbols.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 10.5* with Tensei Blue 65S

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 19* with Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade RSI 2 6-PW-AW-SW with PX Flighted 6.0

Putter: TBD

But are golfers really buying his clubs? Is the company actually making money?

In watching the Pro Am's of late, I've seen a lot of PXG equipment in celebrities and especially athlete's bags. You know who likes to play golf? Retired athletes and celebrities. You know who can afford to spend twice as much as a standard PXG set already costs? Same crowd.

Who cares if they're twice as expensive? No one is forcing you to purchase or even try one of these clubs out. Parson's has found a market that covets his product and probably realizes that his market segment can easily pay twice as much, and will do so without blinking an eye.

Golf is going in a weird direction at the moment. The super high end clubs are getting nicer and nicer and what used to be mid-level clubs are struggling for members and slowly crumbling. If Parson's can carve out a market in the ultra exclusive, ultra expensive space and maintain it then good on him because we all know that's where the people who can afford it reside. It's not for us, and I'm ok with that.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

But are golfers really buying his clubs? Is the company actually making money?

You'll be surprised how these high-end, expensive clubs and accessories are selling in some European countries and Asian countries, especially South East Asia, Korea, China and Japan. I live here and I see it first hand. The bread-and-butter TM and Callaway and Titleist products that you know in the US are struggling to make a sale here. TM has their own Gloire line for Asia and it costs double the TM products you know. So is Titleist and Calalway, and they are only available mostly in Asia. Honmas are selling like hotcakes in this par tor the world, in some cases they are selling better than TM, Callaway and Titleist.

You have no idea how crazy the spending power is over here. People actually line up the night before the first Tesla dealership open in China...

If you look beyond the US of A, you'll understand where their REAL market truly lies. What you see over there is just a small portion of the whole golfing market right now.

While I do see a lot of people use price as a gauge of how good an item is, but usually this applies to the ones with no respect whatsoever towards money and high-handicappers with cash to burn in case of golfers. But the trick of whispering a price hike in order to drive sales up momentarily does not really work in my instances as a retail guy in the past 2 decades or so. Maybe I am just not a good salesman at all. LOL!

I'm off of the mindset that I can hit nearly any properly fit set similarly. PXGs are fine clubs, but from a value standpoint it just isn't there for me, but I can't knock them for being able to market and sell expensive equipment. The clubs could absolutely work better for someone else and if that inherent value is worth it to them, more power to them. I do think that part of the reason people love the clubs so much especially compared to other brands isn't the equipment itself but the fitting process which is, from what I've heard, top notch.

Some may say he is selling a myth or some form of hope, but doesn't a great salesmen truly believe in the product they are slinging? I can't judge PXGs marketing when all golf marketing is the same and they all make the same claims, best feeling, best looking, straightest, longest hitting etc. I totally get why we knock them though; the value to price differential isn't great enough for the majority. But as others have said, PXG isn't catering to the majority, they are targeting a market that does value the differentiation that PXG brings from a brand and/or performance, whether it is real or perceived.

At the end of the day I do hope they succeed. It means more gear to look at and try! But if they succeed, I also do think it is a sign that the golf industry as a whole has a fighting chance.

Its simple. If you build it they will come.

Nobody is forcing you to buy or even consider PXG, but it follows a pattern that we have all been sucked into. When drivers hit $400 for the first time back in the day, people laughed and said that was ridiculous, but some of those same people and many others still bought it. When Cameron's came out and they were $300 people said and did the same thing. When irons hit $1,000 the same thing happened. Its a step process. Parsons just found a spot where people were spending and instead of taking a tiny step in price, he took what seems like a big leap. He decided to combine it with some tour presence and created an ambiance of need and higher quality craftsmanship. Whether or not it is true and they are better than anything out there is up to us as the consumer, just like everything else.

And don't forget, people do tend to hate and create negative comments about things that they don't understand or can't have/afford.

Already have 11 pages on this here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1436772-bob-parsons-going-to-up-the-ante/page__hl__pxg

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Has anyone surveyed to find how many posters have demoed PXG using Trackman versus their own sticks? I think that would be particularly interesting as there are so many negative views. The value debate is fascinating especially if you have not hit them. If they are not remotely in the budget I get the resistance on that basis. I fitted for them against a custom set of TM PSI Tours (Nippon X 130). The gains on well struck balls were significant but frankly the mishits (distance and dispersion) were also tighter. I certainly don't get paid and I did purchase the clubs.

Interested in debates on performance and value not caddy comments about price.

Has anyone surveyed to find how many posters have demoed PXG using Trackman versus their own sticks? I think that would be particularly interesting as there are so many negative views. The value debate is fascinating especially if you have not hit them. If they are not remotely in the budget I get the resistance on that basis. I fitted for them against a custom set of TM PSI Tours (Nippon X 130). The gains on well struck balls were significant but frankly the mishits (distance and dispersion) were also tighter. I certainly don't get paid and I did purchase the clubs.

Interested in debates on performance and value not caddy comments about price.

which model were you comparing to the psi tours? I would also check lofts and length on each as well.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter