demoed Scotty, Betti, and Piretti this weekend

bogeypro

I was on business trip to Houston this week and stopped at golf galaxy down near Baybrook Mall. They carry Scotty, Bettinardi, and Piretti (made in houston). I've never rolled a Piretti and I don't get a chance to roll many Bettis.

I have to say, I'm a scotty fan.... BUT compared to the other 2, the new line looks cheap and feels off. I love my 2014 golo heavy, but I don't think I can spend $400 on scotty this year. I was looking forward the futura 5cb, but it feels hollow and weird.

My favorite Bettinardi is the Queen Bee #9. It is still made from carbon steel and feels amazing! The studio stock 3 is my 2nd favorite.

The Piretti look really good. I loved the Matera 2 black onyx. I made putt after putt with it. Love the smaller square head with solid sight line.

I'm just saying, for $350 to $400 putter...Scotty may be losing his edge. It's as if he's lost his way or something...

Callaway Epic Max LS 9*

Callaway Epic Speed 15*

Callaway Apex Pro 21 4-pw 

Vokey SM8 52/08F

Vokey SM8 58/12D

Scotty Cameron flowback 5.5

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly am fan of Scotty and have been for years. His putters are top notch and has taken craftsmanship to a higher level-they are "jewelry" for your bag. But since he does not offer carbon OTR models anymore I really haven't found anything worth spending the money. And being a art teacher I probably will not ever get a circle t (tho I would love one). I currently go back and forth from my Tei3, old AOP Coranado 2 and my Bettinardi's. I just have to add a bunch of lead tape to the old Cameron's. Just my two cents

910 D2 9.5*/910 FD 15*/915 18*
712 4I
MP 57 5I-6I
MP 59 7I-8I
MP 15 9I
Vokey 46F/52F/56M/60M
AOP NP 2 (BOS 2x oil can)
Chrome soft

This might be tough to describe but how did the Piretti feel relative to the others? Always been curious about their putters, and they look great, but I've still not been motivated enough to actually buy one.

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Ping Anser TR

I've found lately that I prefer Bettinardi and Piretti over just about everything else.

Titleist TSi3
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 5W
Srixon ZX Utility 3i 
Callaway X Forged '18 UT 4-7
Callaway X Forged '21 CB 8-9
Callaway MD5 43*, 48*, 54*, 60*
Toulon Small Batch #148 Santa Monica
TaylorMade TP5
Vessel Player 2.0 Stand Bag

Ive been a strong Cameron follower since is was in my early teens. With that being said, I sold my last Cameron yesterday which leaves me with Bettinardis only. The feel is wonderful for the price range of course I never owned an 009 or GSS. I did however order a DASS BB1F today tho and am very excited about that. As far as the quality for the price range, i just dont think you can get there with Cameron OTR now. Personal opinion of course

I went with a Newport Select this year and have been very happy. I like the feel of the stainless insert in the Newport head. I would have sent it in for a sightline, so it was a bonus for me that it came with one. I was not a fan of the aluminum insert models that I tried.

I was leaning heavily toward getting a BB1, but I did not want a black finish on this one. I probably would have went with the Betti if I could have gotten the BB1 in his Mercury Gray finish. That would have been a home run for me.

This might be tough to describe but how did the Piretti feel relative to the others? Always been curious about their putters, and they look great, but I've still not been motivated enough to actually buy one.

They seem to feel heavier and solid....like a carbon steel putter should. I think the Betti feels a little more lively off the face... a bit more spring. Both feel better than the new scotty line, IMO. Of course, he is doing it with multiple metals and double sided sticky tape insert dampening material.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9*

Callaway Epic Speed 15*

Callaway Apex Pro 21 4-pw 

Vokey SM8 52/08F

Vokey SM8 58/12D

Scotty Cameron flowback 5.5

Couldn't agree more with the Scotty analysis. Older Scotty's had a classic look to them, and they have definitely cheapened over the years. I haven't rolled many Piretti's, myself -- but to me, nothing in the market compares to the look/feel of a Bettinardi right now. Custom look, custom feel, and love what they are doing with their limited releases in The Hive.

Point being: I don't have to roll a Betti to know what I'm getting when I order one... To me that is unmatched right now.

I have posted on two other threads about the Piretti. I was a Betti/Scotty fan for years. Have a Betti BB8 with the gold plated insert [ model is about 15 years old but still mint] and a Scotty California Monterey. The Piretti Cortino 2 is so far superior in feel, roll and accuracy it's no contest as far as I'm concerned. In the past 2 months two of my playing partners plus my wife[ an excellent golfer] have switched to Piretti. One played a TM Spider, the other a Bettinardi BB8 and the third a Circle T Newport 2. They all agree,,,the Piretti is superior in feel and performance They watched my putts made improve dramatically and tried it on the practice putting green. Afterwards, they all made the switch.

The only scotty I'd buy now is one that is custom made for me. The quality of the stock putters they produce has dropped like a stone after the Detour. They went from making solid quality and great feeling putters to ones that roll and feel just like a $110 putter. Personally, for the money, I'd rather buy a Bettinardi. Heck, I'd buy a Nike (much better roll for me than Scotty) and take the extra money and buy anything else. Bettinardi does an awesome job with their putters as well as Piretti. While the plating on some of the Betti products can chip, they are just much more solid feeling. Piretti rolls really well like Bettinardi but the sound to me just is off. I'm not sure what I'm wanting to hear but sadly Piretti isn't providing it.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I live in Houston and bought a Piretti not long after the company started up - after seeing them mentioned on this site. I can

recommend them.

They had a spot in small strip mall near my house. There was a putting area and the only guy there very patiently took the

time to go through some testing and fitting with me. He built me a Matera and I was on my way. He treated me very

well and I have used that putter since. He told me their general philosophy was to make the heads heavier and with less loft.

I hope they get more exposure on tour. Stenson had some success with one but hasn't gamed it for quite a while.

Is anyone else using a Piretti on any of the tours?

I live in Houston and bought a Piretti not long after the company started up - after seeing them mentioned on this site. I can

recommend them.

They had a spot in small strip mall near my house. There was a putting area and the only guy there very patiently took the

time to go through some testing and fitting with me. He built me a Matera and I was on my way. He treated me very

well and I have used that putter since. He told me their general philosophy was to make the heads heavier and with less loft.

I hope they get more exposure on tour. Stenson had some success with one but hasn't gamed it for quite a while.

My first Piretti was from that.same little shop in Spring, Tx.

I showed up one afternoon no appointment and a "nice young man"

let me in. Since I already knew what I wanted, I followed him back

to the vault. A room full of racks with preshafted heads.

Selected a Forza Midnight , Returned to.his fitting room and while

he trimmed the shaft and adjusted lie angle to my specs. I putted

around with some of his Prototypes and tour issues. It was a "wow"

experience. Feel and quality blew away my custom Scotty's.

Did not stock the red Grip Master stich back grip I wanted,

but went to the front office and pulled a red cabretta leather

Prototype stitch back from a file cabinet. Said it was a

souvenir from the PGA merchandise show. Installed it on my

putter. Talk about above and beyond.

Walked out of the shop with a custom putter fit to me, at a price

less than a stock off the rack Scotty.

That "nice young man" I found out later was owner Mike Johnson.

And have since aquired several.of his tour only and Prototypes.

recommend them.

recommend them.

The person who took care of me was named Patrick. It was late afternoon, he was the only one there, was taking care other stuff, and he took the time to make me feel like a million bucks. I probably made him late for dinner.

recommend them.

recommend them.

The person who took care of me was named Patrick. It was late afternoon, he was the only one there, was taking care other stuff, and he took the time to make me feel like a million bucks. I probably made him late for dinner.

Oh yeah, I see elsewhere on the site that Schwartzel is using a Piretti, which answers my earlier question

I've had two different Scottie's and one Bettinardi. They were fine putters, but quite frankly I did not see that much difference in results compared to my Odyssey putters and Yes putters. I prefer mallet putters, btw. I saw some information on Piretti putters approximately 3 months ago and decided to research them. After doing a great amount of investigation, I finally called Piretti and spoke to Mike. We talked for approximately 20 minutes, as I described my game and what I was looking for. (6.2 index). Since I have never liked blade putters, he suggested the Savona rev2.0 that came in a nice black finish. He suggested this finish because being in Florida there would be minimal if any glare from the sun. He also made suggestions about Lie and Length based on the info I gave him. I ended up ordering the putter, and quite frankly it has been exceptional. I've called Mike to ask a few strategical putting questions, and each time I have called he has made time for me. I really like the Savona rev 2.0 in that it has tremendous balance going through the ball, and the model I have is 375 grams. Nice heavy feel that allows me to swing smoothly, yet still hit the ball solidly. I am impressed with Mike's customer service and would highly recommend Piretti putters to you. Sure, Scotties and Betts have been around longer, and have the name, but from my results, I would put the Piretti putters above them. I hope this helps. Al S Florida

It's all personal preference. I don't care for the spaceship putters Scotty is putting out nor do I care for the inserts he's using.......but I know several people who like his current lineup. I own several Scotty's (probably about 40-50), as well as a few Betti's and a couple Piretti's (along with several other makers). I haven't liked any of Scotty's OTR's since 2011 but I try the new ones every year hoping that will change. The current Bettinardi's are nice but I really have to try them first because they all feel different (which is actually a good thing, but some feel like bricks to me). I also like the fact that Bob still offers carbon putters. I own last years carbon BB1F (with the lime paint) and it's an excellent performer and a very reasonable price. I've always thought Piretti's were well made (although I had a finish issue on one) but I'm not a fan of the heavier weights they seem to lean towards.

I know a lot of people like the ability of going into a retail store and picking something up OTR (which I've also done countless times), but with OTR putters getting into the 400+ range, I'd rather go the custom route at that point.

The futura 5s is not even in the same ballpark as bettinardi or piretti in terms of look, feel, and roll. Highly disappointed in the cameron.

SIM Max 9* - Diamana Limited 60x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
TP5x