KBS $-Taper

mackepa

What is that like $10 more than previous custom color shafts? How can you be hung up on $100? Jeez

Huh??? what does color have to do with it? they aren't colored. They are standard steel at $55 each. Tour V's are $29 each. thats damn near twice as much.

Seems like an incredibly difficult price point to me.

Makes them the most expensive steel shafts on the market i believe. Perfect for PXG i guess.

I guess I'm not understanding something.

What exactly is the point? Are you unhappy in some way with your TOUR V 120x?

Are you trying the shafts because you want them to do something different than your current shafts?

I have the tour V 120x and I generally like them so I am just trying to understand what you want the new shafts to do for you. You didnt point out any problems with your current set up so I don't know why you want to change them.

You don't know if something is better until you try it, dude.

• 2 weeks later...

No, its not like the C-Taper, according to the KBS fitting chart, this new $-Taper fits right in-between the KBS Tour and the KBS Tour-V in terms of launch and spin. The shaft weight is pretty much the same for all (3) of these KBS shafts.

:golfer: .

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

No, its not like the C-Taper, according to the KBS fitting chart, this new $-Taper fits right in-between the KBS Tour and the KBS Tour-V in terms of launch and spin. The shaft weight is pretty much the same for all (3) of these KBS shafts.

:golfer: .

I hear ya but the tech guys at KBS said that due to weight classes it's​ more like Ctaper smoother or kbs tour lower spin.... understanding that the V falls near this line but has different weights in its lineup....so in regular or reg plus...110-115 is perfect.

If $55 a shaft is correct, based on another thread where people are posting buys and prices in 2017; pricing doesn't look remotely in the realm of $55 a shaft or $400 for set of iron shafts. As I see them, a fine set of iron shafts can be had for under $275+ install, so I see no reason to spend $400+.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

If $55 a shaft is correct, based on another thread where people are posting buys and prices in 2017; pricing doesn't look remotely in the realm of $55 a shaft or $400 for set of iron shafts. As I see them, a fine set of iron shafts can be had for under $275+ install, so I see no reason to spend $400+.

I'm using Matrix TPHD/PXG/GOLFWRX logic however.....in my simple mind, these will "fit" better than anything else..... I'll try one shaft first though.

I'm using Matrix TPHD/PXG/GOLFWRX logic however.....in my simple mind, these will "fit" better than anything else..... I'll try one shaft first though.

That's fine. From my experience, $1000 vs. $400 vs. $125 shaft, down range result was pretty much the same. Like a $25 vs. $9 vs $3 cigar... All comes down to where someone wants to spend their dollars, if they have dollars to spend, but especially, the attention to detail or taste buds to measure difference. :beach: I am off to the gym.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

That's fine. From my experience, $1000 vs. $400 vs. $125 shaft, down range result was pretty much the same. Like a $25 vs. $9 vs $3 cigar... All comes down to where someone wants to spend their dollars, if they have dollars to spend, but especially, the attention to detail or taste buds to measure difference. :beach: I am off to the gym.

Pep , I TOTALLY agree on the negligible differences in performance vs cost.....but after using both KBS tour AND Ctaper this shaft slots right in between giving me, hopefully, more spin than Ctaper but less than tour. ...well that's the claim ! I'll try one shaft first and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the $-taper s in #6 Adams XTD today. Length 381/8 MOI 2760

The raw weight I measured was 117gr. I cut 7gr off he butt.

The shaft is the perfect blend of the Tour and Tour V indeed,

Very pleasant feel along the swing; a strongish trajectory with a mid high apex (comparable to Tour V). I did not measure with a LM.

The $-taper acted very steady and had a consistent outcome. $-taper plays true to flex (iTour V plays harder and is lighter)

It was hard to overpower the shaft.

Always liked the directness of the ctaper but never cared much for the Tour V. The tour could never convince me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just ordered mine today and hopefully they are the version that does not have the 360 label

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Bought a KBS Tour $ Taper and testing in 6i... So far, underwhelmed vs. cost, but maybe with time it will cloud my judgment. :beach:

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Today I Tested again with $taper in #6. I am overwhelmed. Very steady temper of the shaft, very pleasant feel. Very good ball flight. Much lower than Tour S. Much less spin too.

Have not tested directly on the monitor yet. Feelwise the $taper in s reminds me of a soft stepped modus 3 in x. (that is just me)

I have played and tested all sorts of KBS shafts. In the beginning (about 10 years ago) I was not very impressed by their line up which was only 1 model in three flexes (tour).

But KBS has proven to become a serious OEM with a wide variety of shafts all based in this very first model.

If you add up the models KBS developed in a relative short period of time ( ctaper,ctaper lite; tour v; 90; hybrid (2), rev 2.0, 690 and now $taper) I can only take my hat off.

Today I Tested again with $taper in #6. I am overwhelmed. Very steady temper of the shaft, very pleasant feel. Very good ball flight. Much lower than Tour S. Much less spin too.

Have not tested directly on the monitor yet. Feelwise the $taper in s reminds me of a soft stepped modus 3 in x. (that is just me)

I have played and tested all sorts of KBS shafts. In the beginning (about 10 years ago) I was not very impressed by their line up which was only 1 model in three flexes (tour).

But KBS has proven to become a serious OEM with a wide variety of shafts all based in this very first model.

If you add up the models KBS developed in a relative short period of time ( ctaper,ctaper lite; tour v; 90; hybrid (2), rev 2.0, 690 and now $taper) I can only take my hat off.

you think it goes much lower than tour 120? I've played them for a bit and don't think they go lower, the kbs chart has them at same trajectory but slightly less spin, which is what I've noticed. Ballflight might be more flat too than kbs tour but apex is the same.

you think it goes much lower than tour 120? I've played them for a bit and don't think they go lower, the kbs chart has them at same trajectory but slightly less spin, which is what I've noticed. Ballflight might be more flat too than kbs tour but apex is the same.

I have heard the same tours and $-tapers launch the same but the $-taper spin lower so apex at the same but the $-tapers flatten out and don't balloon

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")

I just got fitted for these with jpx900. I'm going from z765 with steel fiber i95 stiff. Distance gained was 3 yards but dispersion was amazing. I was surprised that the weight increase didn't affect me at all. The shafts didn't feel like 120g at all. Keeping with swing weight of d3. Only difference is shafts will be quarter inch longer. I didn't have a good setup with my z765 as I was hitting too much towards the toe so the extra length has me hitting the sweet spot now.

My guess is that the apex was 3-5 yards lower for my shots.. Hard to tell how much exactly without LM and different days. FLIGHT was more into the direction of tour V. (Feel of the shaft not btw) Definitely a flatter trajectory.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - KBS Tour $ Taper ($500 upgrade) lost out to KBS Tour S ($340 upgrade). Iron to iron, trajectory about the same, similar feel, but KBS Tour S was 5yds longer, at half the price per shaft. Yesterday, Par 3 playing 177yds uphill; $ taper landed on the front apron, Tour Stiff landed on the green. What ever performance $ Taper allegedly offers, wasn't enough to merit $500 upgrade.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Thanks for the update Pep. Hopefully my $-Tapers get in soon so I can reshaft and test. I wont really have the Tour shaft to test but will have to go on my previous experience.

Seems to be an over-priced shaft that under-performs in term of price/performance when compared to certain other KBS shafts... :mellow:

There may only be a small 'niche' market for these 'aptly named' KBS '$'-Taper steel shafts... :glare:

According to KBS these fall right in-between the Tour-V and the Tour performance-wise, and I am relatively sure those (2) KBS shafts will continue to be more popular than this much-too-expensive $-Taper shaft... :yes: .

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft