2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rants and Raves...

No survey of UK golf youtube channels can be considered complete without reference to Robin Matthews Williams.

Better still, no survey should reference him.

Ah, the edgelord MGK of golf who deludes himself into thinking he's the "Eminem" of golf.

Although I do think that his style resonates with some people and will help their game, so to each their own

I shall pop up to my club for an Irish Herbal Tincture....and read the papers. And no doubt be lambasted by certain members who....shock horror have had to carry their bags. It hoyed it down last night so sensibly the greenkeeper has barred buggies and trolleys to protect the course. Option B was closing it. I realise some players need a trolley for health reasons but for the odd day a year that this is in force you would think the beer prices had gone up 400% and the greens were covered in heather.....I carry in Winter.

Car Park Members - Members who turn up at the club, get changed into their shoes in the car park, go out and play a round, usually with the same set of like-minded friends each week, return to the car park and change shoes after the round and then head straight out the gates.

There are arguments that they're not supporting the club by using (and paying for) the facilities/bar and not integrating with the rest of the membership as some would expect them to.

My opinion; it takes all sorts to make this world and if some don't want to show their face in the clubhouse and are happy with their smaller circle of friends then that's their choice. Not everybody likes the club environment and as long as the members are paying their membership fees the same as everybody else then it's up to them how they use their membership.

If the club wants to get more members spending money in the clubhouse then they need to make it more attractive to all.

Most of our retiree members are exactly like that. They never buy food and beverages or hit range balls. Of course in our area they make up for it in the tourist golf seasons. I have heard of some of the tourist golfers spending $500 or more on alcohol both on the course and in the clubhouse. Now my friend up in NC is a member at a "real" country club. There with the regular membership there is also a minimum Food and Beverage assessment of $150 per month. Since he is not married anymore and lives on the course he sometimes hops on his cart and has supper there. If the course and facilities are closed due to weather for a certain amount of days then the F&B fee is pro rated for that month.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Car Park Members. Discuss.

Kind of a shame when some clubs have really nice and welcoming facilities.

I played a walking golfers outing at a nice old club in Lexington and it was that type of club. When we arrived the parking lot was full as was the course. When we finished our round at 3:00 or so it was devoid of anyone but our 12 or so in the group. Shame as they had a nice bar with tvs and fair food. Beer was cold. Stories were told. A very comfortable setting with a nice patio as well.

It is sorta strange around here as everything here in this Tourist driven world compared to the real world. Most of the courses here have really nice bars grill rooms but they are not used that much. you never see anyone sitting around enjoying a beer and maybe a ball game on TV. But even in the bar world around here there is a lot of competition with a lot of sports bars and restaurants with sports bars attached. I mean courses have to make money but $6 for a beer you can buy up the street for $3 you know like come on. But then again they are Tourist driven and those folks will pay that price.

I can remember back in the day at my old man's course we would do $300 even on a snow day in the bar. Back them beer was 0.75 a can. But all the gamblers ,bookies and hustlers hung out there. Probably the only golf course in the world that had 6 pay phones on the back wall and a change machine for dimes. One of the old man's cronies owned a vending machine company and he put an older dollar changer in for free. My stepmom told the old guy Gus that it was nice of him to put it there. He told her no thanks necessary that it was laying around his shop doing nothing. In true gambler fashion he told her that with the machine being there he made money. While he was waiting for change he may not get a last minute bet in that could cost him thousands. Yeah that place was fun

The funnest grill room I ever saw was at a Par 3 driving range combo on the South Side of Charlotte--- he had the jukebox and all--- Cooked some mean steaks and food at reasonable prices. The place stayed open until Midnight and there was always something going on there. Believe it or not the owner lived in a Large camper behind the place. Only "clubhouse" I ever saw with 6 pool tables. One of the old timers described it to a tee (pun intended) as a Bar / Poolroom with a driving range and Par 3 built around it. The Par 3 was lighted too. In the Spring and summer we had nightly dogfights and even closest to the pin contests on the range. Back in those days when I was in town I hung around there. I think I was the only North Charlotte guy that hung out around there. We had folks there at night that did not even play golf but loved the food , pool tables and the people. What was real fun is when we got a bunch of half plastered non golfers hitting at the closest to the pin on the practice green. Someone would buy a bucket of balls and let them have at it. We would sit back and bet on which one of the drunks would be closest to the pin. And yes to be truthful I have slept more than one night in my car in the parking lot. Those were the fun days you don't see that anymore

Car Park Members = Trunk Slammers. That's the term me and my golf buddies have always used.

Back in the day in my world "Trunk Slamming" was a naughty word--- You either did not qualify or make the cut----- Some of us equate that word ( in the south it is one word) as akin to dropping a F- Bomb in front of a Baptist Preacher :taunt:

Rants,

Ever since our State pass the recreational use for the Cannabis products, I could smell the odor everywhere, in the park, on the City Streets, while driving with windows shut ( emission from near by Marijuana growth warehouse in the City's light industrial park ).

On the golf course, golfers are pulling out joints or Cigar wrap with Marijuana.

I mean, com-un ! Do as you please but not in the public ? It's against the ordinance to use alcoholic beverages and Cannabis products in plan view of the public. I'm no Saint , used it when I was in college , and I did inhale it unlike other popular statement.

I'm not against the product nor the business but, keep it where it belong.

Rants,

Ever since our State pass the recreational use for the Cannabis products, I could smell the odor everywhere, in the park, on the City Streets, while driving with windows shut ( emission from near by Marijuana growth warehouse in the City's light industrial park ).

On the golf course, golfers are pulling out joints or Cigar wrap with Marijuana.

I mean, com-un ! Do as you please but not in the public ? It's against the ordinance to use alcoholic beverages and Cannabis products in plan view of the public. I'm no Saint , used it when I was in college , and I did inhale it unlike other popular statement.

That would drive me nuts. That junk gives me a headache.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Rants,

I ain't a saint either and I used to smoke that stuff but like you now days it gives me a headache just getting a whiff. But then again that stuff is so much different than the stuff most of us on this end of the tracks smoked back in the day. I ain't messed with it in over 30 years and very well can't either if I wanted to due to driving a truck for a living with the associated drug tests etc. I do not think it will ever pass in SC. Some places here especially in Surfside Beach you can not smoke legal cigarettes in public. Definitely not on the beach in Surfside.

Rants,

I ain't a saint either and I used to smoke that stuff but like you now days it gives me a headache just getting a whiff. But then again that stuff is so much different than the stuff most of us on this end of the tracks smoked back in the day. I ain't messed with it in over 30 years and very well can't either if I wanted to due to driving a truck for a living with the associated drug tests etc. I do not think it will ever pass in SC. Some places here especially in Surfside Beach you can not smoke legal cigarettes in public. Definitely not on the beach in Surfside.

If you even venture back that route, be very careful. The stuff they have these days are much much more potent than what we had 30-50 years ago. Like comparing Vodka to draft beer.

I haven't toughed the stuff since college days and even quit tobacco after my first born arrived. But I was told it's all science these days, from sprout to harvest, not like it's grown on the side of the road.

I don't know, texting while driving, driving while intoxicated ( alcohol or other drugs, prescribe or not ). Have fun but keep it in line.

I have a good buddy in college, he was adapted to a christian family, and he had this rebellious attitude regarding rules, but he always knew when to stop. Kind of remembering riding in his Chevy Caprice, Huge sedan ...... with the clinking and clunking of beer bottles and cans under the seats.. He had never had an accident.

Other friend's family back then would load up a case of cold beer and head over to the lake with the family boat in tow. Nothing was out of line because people knew when to say when. Take it easy and stop when one should is the key, of course, always have a co-pilot whom could take over if needed.

It's like yesterday but so far away.

LOL You Guys...

Yesterday Once More

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Thanks TimV-a wonderful talent gone too soon.

I realize a pun on the previous post but I played that video and it definitely hit the wayback button in my head.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Now then,let's have a proper R&R as well as a bloody good laugh.

"Charley Hoffman's custom Scotty Cameron putter" thread OF THE DAY!

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

They must have run out of ideas on Ping Anser variations and Tad Moore copies,whatever next I wonder?

Then Brooks Koepka is sulking because he wasn't recognised as being a dominant athlete by some second rate tv channel.

In the UK we have BBC Sports Personality of the Year,frequently handed out to someone with the personality of a glass of tepid tapwater,an award that has become so PC and establishment biased that it would probably be considered better NOT to be shortlisted.

The Electro Plated Nickel Silver Sports list placed Ariya Jutanugarn 4th behind three Olympic athletes.

Answers on a postcard...

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

They must have run out of ideas on Ping Anser variations and Tad Moore copies,whatever next I wonder?

Then Brooks Koepka is sulking because he wasn't recognised as being a dominant athlete by some second rate tv channel.

In the UK we have BBC Sports Personality of the Year,frequently handed out to someone with the personality of a glass of tepid tapwater,an award that has become so PC and establishment biased that it would probably be considered better NOT to be shortlisted.

The Electro Plated Nickel Silver Sports list placed Ariya Jutanugarn 4th behind three Olympic athletes.

Answers on a postcard...

This should the blazing neon sign of the complete Fail that is Cameron putters. As if their Odyssey copies already weren't. Or the Tad Moore copies. Or the TP Mills copies. Or the <insert other putter designer here> copies.....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

Answers on a postcard...

I saw that and laughed so hard I could not post----- Of course most of the golfers in the mainstream have no idea what a Ram Zebra is.

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

Answers on a postcard...

This should the blazing neon sign of the complete Fail that is Cameron putters. As if their Odyssey copies already weren't. Or the Tad Moore copies. Or the TP Mills copies. Or the <insert other putter designer here> copies.....

I guess that is why some guys over in the equipment thread call him Scotty Xerox----- But politics aside I love my old 97 Santa Fe---- I tell some folks it is Custom by God I added the lead tape and grip and I did adjust the loft and lie for me--- But the new and shiny stuff I could care less about

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

Answers on a postcard...

I guess that is why some guys over in the equipment thread call him Scotty Xerox----- But politics aside I love my old 97 Santa Fe---- I tell some folks it is Custom by God I added the lead tape and grip and I did adjust the loft and lie for me--- But the new and shiny stuff I could care less about

Laughing all the way on this one. The lemmings that line up to buy the Scotty stuff would have a heart attack watching you slap that lead tape on one of his "unique" creations. You have to keep those things all original. Don't you know that Stu? Even though there hasn't ever been anything original about any of his designs... EVER!

I don't mean to disparage anyone for what they choose to putt with. Putt with whatever works for you. But to keep worshiping these guys who recycle ideas that have been around for years and years is just ridiculous. I can't help but laugh.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Tax on Text ?

I just heard it on the radio, California law makers are proposing a tax on every text message. Our Governor is proposing a 9% capital gain tax.

WTF, do everyone ran out of money all of the sudden ? First the Sugar tax on soda now everything else is being considered as a tax base. I'm sure eventually they'll tax the fresh air and water, wait, they already tax the water............

Arch-- A couple of years ago we were playing in an Annual Christmas Benefit ( to help underprivileged kids). There were some guys yuppie golfers I call them. I actually peened them the Titleist Team. All of them had brand new Staff bags and everything in them was shiny new. They had the new Scotty putters out with the weight kits. My boss was on our team and he could not resist. Yeah I told him as I threw him a half roll of lead tape. Those guys looked shocked. Later on in the putting contest I won one of them asked me what my rusty relic was? I held it up told them 97 Santa Fe. I thought they were going to have a coronary.

Footnote: We are supposed to play that event tomorrow but it is raining and flooding as I type and is not supposed to let up until noon tomorrow. I more than likely think it is off. I do know entries were off compared to past years already. Hoping they postpone it until next week

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Was just reading the article on putting together a set of clubs for under $500. I had to laugh. You ought to read some of the comments. I was going to post about the junkyard dog set but decided not to. Those cats could not handle that. I actually was ROTFLMAO thinking on how much stuff us guys on this end could buy for $500

Spot on Stu!

Shiels and Finch did 2 similar videos on YT where they went to Golfbidder in the UK,probably the most expensive source for used clubs over here with a whopping £500 EACH to spend on clubs and then play a match against each other.

The First Flight irons I bought and had sent to Liam for his vlogs cost me £20 including shipping.

I recently bought a nice set of Mizuno MP-52 irons,3-pw,KBS shafts for £80.

I think the only thing these things demonstrate is how far removed from reality these people are.

Read through that article and several of the dumba** comments as well. Thought to myself, "Where's the challenge in assembling a $500 bag". Let's do a less than $100 bag including the bag. Over in the grille some time ago, mentally tallied up a bag that I'd posted and I didn't have 50 bucks into it. Like most around these environs, we could put together a sub-$100 bag quite easily. Quality pro line implements, found on the cheap.

Some of these people haven't a fricken clue. Or know where to shop. Or what to look for. Which is fine by me. Need less scrounging competition, not more.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I was reading another thread on the equipment forum talking about using older clubs and being stuck in time and the same sorts of arguments are being used there. Pinestreetgolf is particularly persistent in that if you don't have the latest custom fitted clubs you are leaving performance on the table and it's not an either or, equipment versus skill, choice.

$500 bags aren't particularly challenging to put together, but if you're continually being programmed that $5000 is what's required to play your best, I can see how some will argue so vehemently against cheap used clubs. I've shot lots of good scores with old stuff; as well as I can play and score at least. The new stuff maybe easier to use, but I doubt the difference is extreme as it's made out to be unless you're switching from blades to hybrid irons.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa