2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

Read through that article and several of the dumba** comments as well. Thought to myself, "Where's the challenge in assembling a $500 bag". Let's do a less than $100 bag including the bag. Over in the grille some time ago, mentally tallied up a bag that I'd posted and I didn't have 50 bucks into it. Like most around these environs, we could put together a sub-$100 bag quite easily. Quality pro line implements, found on the cheap.

Some of these people haven't a fricken clue. Or know where to shop. Or what to look for. Which is fine by me. Need less scrounging competition, not more.

You remember the all junkpile bag I posted that I had less than $1.50 in including the freebe bag and went out and shot 80 with a driver that had too stiff of a shaft for me. Of course I work for a metal recycling company and scrap prices were down and I got those clubs for 0.05 each. I would not expect anyone else to be that lucky. Now at Goodwill I did buy a complete set of Tommy Armour 925 irons and woods in a little cheapo Macgregor bag for $15 I think it was. Had to buy a putter but there was a Hogan 8802 style for $2.99 and I got it. So for under $20 I got a playable set of clubs that I think I shot 82 with the next day on a whim. Who else do you know that has a Scotty Cameron putter that he has more in the grip and lead tape than he does the club? Part of my fun is buying a set off the pile or at the thrifts taking them the next day un hit unadjusted and see what I can shoot with them on a whim. I ended up giving Bear the 925s because he is a TA man and he loves them. He did not like the woods so I kept them. It is more fun to me shooting 80 with a set of junkpile relics than it is for me shooting around par with clubs I have tweaked or what I call front line clubs. But most of these mainstream golfers would not be caught dead playing the stuff we do

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I was reading another thread on the equipment forum talking about using older clubs and being stuck in time and the same sorts of arguments are being used there. Pinestreetgolf is particularly persistent in that if you don't have the latest custom fitted clubs you are leaving performance on the table and it's not an either or, equipment versus skill, choice.

$500 bags aren't particularly challenging to put together, but if you're continually being programmed that $5000 is what's required to play your best, I can see how some will argue so vehemently against cheap used clubs. I've shot lots of good scores with old stuff; as well as I can play and score at least. The new stuff maybe easier to use, but I doubt the difference is extreme as it's made out to be unless you're switching from blades to hybrid irons.

Whiney Piney as we call him-- Me and him have been into it quite a few times--- I challenged him one night to a money match and he could play what he wanted and I would play vintage stuff--- He would not bite--- I issued him another challenge that he could play me and take an empty bag and pick from my stash of antique clubs----- Well he said my stuff was non conforming and thus cheating------ I informed him that I had several sets of irons including wedges that were conforming--- Never got a peep back---- got several PMs from guys wanting part of my action---- IMHO he is CS and now i will not post in a thread he is in

I have said it before, and I will day it again, unless you are tall, the newer clubes are harder to control and do not equate to more distance in the fairway. I am not a luddite, I own a new set of clubs Cobra F8 irons, driver and 3 wood with Vokeys. The best round I played this year, and I post my rounds woth the VSGA, was our first day member guest, a 78 with Hogan Cameos, the vokey wedges, and Macgregor Eye O Matic driver, 3 wood, and 4 wood, with a bullseye putter. I am an average golfer, and vintage clubs for my game, and unless you are over 6'2 I would say they will work great for anyone that gives them a shot.

I read that post as well and LMAO!

Truth?

Despite the constant claims of half mile drives, sub par scores, and $3K (or more) worth of irons, that the average 'Far Side WRXer' claim. I'd bet that the average 'Classic WRXer' could take one of their sub $100 sets, take them behind the woodshed and whoop their a**.

I seldom even glance at that side of the forums because the BS is way too deep for this old BSer.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Speaking of Ram Zebras, I knew a “guy” who unscrewed the bottom plate and put magnets inside. He’d move his ball mark to a more attractive spot on the green when people weren’t watching.

He’s lucky he didn’t end up with fishes... Ha!

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Speaking of Ram Zebras, I knew a “guy” who unscrewed the bottom plate and put magnets inside. He’d move his ball mark to a more attractive spot on the green when people weren’t watching.

He’s lucky he didn’t end up with fishes... Ha!

Yep I have heard of that trick too--- Never have seen it first hand though---- Some of that crowd I played and hung out with in Florida and Charlotte if he had pulled that boner there he would have darn sure been swimming with the fishes.

I read that post as well and LMAO!

Truth?

Despite the constant claims of half mile drives, sub par scores, and $3K (or more) worth of irons, that the average 'Far Side WRXer' claim. I'd bet that the average 'Classic WRXer' could take one of their sub $100 sets, take them behind the woodshed and whoop their a**.

I seldom even glance at that side of the forums because the BS is way too deep for this old BSer.

Yep I agree--- Every now and again I will venture when I see one of my Buds from either here or the Clubhouse Grill section has posted. Those 2 guys Piney and Nessium you can not make headway with because they think they know it all.

"Charley Hoffman's custom Scotty Cameron putter" thread OF THE DAY!

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

They must have run out of ideas on Ping Anser variations and Tad Moore copies,whatever next I wonder?

Surely no one actually believes that it was made without reference to Zebra. I think it would be more along the lines of 'Please make this Red X as close to an old Zebra I used to use in the early nineties'. Rather than 'oh here's this original design I've come up with'.

"Charley Hoffman's custom Scotty Cameron putter" thread OF THE DAY!

Go take a look.

A RAM ZEBRA.

They must have run out of ideas on Ping Anser variations and Tad Moore copies,whatever next I wonder?

Surely no one actually believes that it was made without reference to Zebra. I think it would be more along the lines of 'Please make this Red X as close to an old Zebra I used to use in the early nineties'. Rather than 'oh here's this original design I've come up with'.

Considering that I haven't seen an original looking SC putter ever? … Yes

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Never been there.

Kind of sad that a few holes had been bulldozed already before the court injunction to stop the action of destruction.

From all the photos and reviews, this course does ( did) have some great ocean views on 5 holes but the condition and the layout is not a top caliber resort championship golf course. Since they already have other golf courses on the island, I'm not against to turn the golf course into a public park where everyone could use.

This would be a bad time to redesign, renovate, and restore. They could open the golf course for the public play to generate revenue,

As a golfer, I want to see more golf course, but this is a resort golf course which public would have no access. Probably the reason why only 1.000 rounds played there.

I think it will generate a lot of revenue for a sport that will eventually have issues getting revenue from sponsors. It is also a sport that historically was a big draw for gambling, and gambling features prominently in the sport as played by everyday golfers. Would rather the PGA get in front of it now, than throw something together later. I have no moral objections to sports betting.

The PGA hasn't appeared to have any issue raising money for it's members.

#100 on the 2018 Money List is Jamie Lovemark who pocketed $146K for the year besides what he may have gotten from sponsors. Anyone know who he is? Pretty good money for someone I've never heard of playing my favorite game.

Although I do understand and appreciate the historic angle you mention I believe it just opens the door to more corruption of the players and I'm not sure they need more encouragement in that direction. We already know, if not acknowledge, that there is already rampant cheating in the professional ranks. I believe this may lead to more match "fixing."

Hope I'm wrong but...

There is potentially a massive can of worms as regards sports betting which we've seen in the UK with snooker and cricket.The main culprits have been from the Asian sub-continent and China which has a massive betting culture.

Golf I see as offering huge potential for 'missed' putts,shots OOB,greens missed etc. and unlike snooker where a deliberate miss or foul stroke might be easily spotted golf cannot be monitored as closely,I think it will be wide open to 'fixers'.

I have not played recently,my visits to the club have been restricted to the practice ground where I have been working my way steadily through a number of iron sets trying to settle on something that fits my eye and performs decently.

Main conclusion is that I have fallen out of love with Mizuno irons.

I remember years ago having the same issue with TP-9's,the issue being that slight offset which drives me crackers,I just don't seem to be able to see where the club face is pointing.Today I was hitting a lot of pulled shots and moving the face created a high,soft fade.

Funnily enough,actually quite annoying(!) is that last week I threw my old '82 Titleist Tour Models into the bag just out of interest and I had no problem squaring the face and hitting shots almost exactly where I intended.Dispersion lengthwise was about 15 yards,lateral dispersion was not more than 8 yards,most within 5 yards which I was pretty pleased with.I have a second set in very good order which I intend to get sorted for loft and lies ready for next year.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful festive season (PC version of Merry Xmas!) and a very happy and healthy New Year.

Very best wishes to you all,

Chris.

Can not even begin to say what a bad idea I think this is...

https://www.golfchan...ags=golf1304000

So is many other things happening in the last decade. For one, we should never legalize the Lottery system, no matter how noble the original purpose/cause was.

OUR, State legislators going to forgive some of the Law Breakers based on the type of crime.

Do we feel like in the crazy period of the last few decades of the Roman Empire ?

I think it will generate a lot of revenue for a sport that will eventually have issues getting revenue from sponsors. It is also a sport that historically was a big draw for gambling, and gambling features prominently in the sport as played by everyday golfers. Would rather the PGA get in front of it now, than throw something together later. I have no moral objections to sports betting.

Expansion and retraction is normal and healthy. Can't keep on expanding anything, forever. The bubble will burst.

Everyone is speculating on how will the bubble burst !

Lottery is the same as a poor man's tax, You think those billionaires will buy a lottery ticket ? Some poor SOB will spend their whole pay check buying the lottery tickets after they got out of a bar ( true story, and the guy and his girl friend happened to hit the lotto. after walking out of a bar to next door to get some snack at a grocery store and decided to spend the entire two week's worth of pay check on some lottery tickets ).

Most the guys buying the lottery will never win.

I don’t know if this should be in Random Topics or this. Let’s go with this. It’s going to be a rant.

I’m in Austin Texas, but it’s not about Austin or Texas. I’ve got no beef with either. But, I do have a beef with expensive hotels that think they’re so darn good that they can charge $34 for two eggs and bacon, but are really clueless when it comes to thinking about the CUSTOMER!

Does management not have eyes? Do they not have ears? Have they never stayed at their own hotel to see how dumb some things are?

Ok, I admit that these may seem like little things, but if they’re so little, why don’t people think about them?

1. What’s with no shoe horns? You know, some of us have bad backs and having a shoe horn makes our lives so much easier.

2. What’s with sinks so far away from the edge of the counter that you can’t bend over enough to be over the sink? All the water and shaving stuff coming off your face is deposited on the counter then dripping onto the floor. What the hell?

3. What the hell? Why is there no place to hang a towel for when you step out of the shower? Has no one ever looked around?

4. Why is the tissue you take from the box to blow your nose have to be the last one and no other box around? For heaven’s sake...

5. No refrigerator I can use in a $250+/night room?

6. So, I’m in the so-called restaurant to have breakfast. Why do the waiters have to be hipsters telling me their life story and how glorious certain breakfasts are on the menu. It’s eggs and stuff. It’s not “glorious.”

OK, that’s not a big deal. It’s early morning and I like to get emails and stuff out of the way. A little peace and quiet in the morning isn’t too much to ask. The gaggle of hipster waiters are practically yelling over each other with stories of beard growing, pimples, blah, blah, blah, about 10 feet away and can be heard out the door, through the lobby and down the street.

Shut up! Leave us customers in peace. I couldn’t take it any more and politely ask them to shut the hell up or go in the kitchen. They sound like a bunch of old ladies gossiping. My apologies to old, gossiping ladies.

And stop picking at the pimples on your face! What the hell is wrong with you people?

7. It’d be really nice if the heater worked better since the room is frosty. Maybe the room itself is supposed to be the refrigerator?

8. Why can’t hotels have showers with a hand-held shower head? It’s almost 2019. Why is the water handle so far into the shower that you have to be standing under the shower head when the ice cold water starts pouring over your head? Idiots.

9. I’m sure I’ll find more, but that’s enough for now.

10. Merry Christmas?

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Best I can offer is that in your place I would :

(A) buy a shoe horn, because I would never rely on even a good hotel to provide anything useful in the room that cannot be screwed down, and

(B) read this http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1724396-macgregor-cb92-custom-set/ and pick up a nice set of tour issue Macs to forget about my overpriced eggs.

Re. rant item (2) - I can't explain it, but when we bought our current house, the previous owners had installed a freestanding, shallow, glass, circular wash hand basin that was the most impractical thing ever. We could not wait to rip it out and replace it with something straight-edged and sealed to the wall - but someone obviously thought it was a good idea. So, I do sympathise.