Rants and Raves...

It's just a round of golf my friend. Try not to overthink it and let it ruin your life. As Sigmund Freud once said...."sometimes a cigar....is just a cigar." Happy Trolling :)

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I would like to have a serious rant about the so-called 'professional' golfers who earn vast amounts of money and behave like whiny,spoiled children.

Sergio Garcia does not have an enviable track record as far as his on-course behaviour is concerned but his recent lapse which appears to border on mental meltdown is a disgrace and disqualification seems to be an inadequate response from the ET.

I feel pretty certain that a member at a private golf club would,under the same circumstances,be suspended and playing rights withdrawn.

Keith Pelley,boss of the ET had a media explosion over the penalty imposed on Li Haotong for his caddie 'allegedly' lining him up prior to putting,"grossly unfair",he spouted having agreed that the referees were correct but the fact that there "is no discretion available"...."is wrong".

Well Keith,if he broke the rule what 'discretion' applies? It was windy? The sun was in his eyes? His caddie is a ninja?

Then,almost incredibly,following the publicity over that,Mr McCarthy of the PGA Tour breaks the same rule causing Justin Thomas,Matt Kuchar and others,including the eternally vociferous (gobby) Pepperell to shout out via social media and "rip into" the USGA over the rule which he deems "ridiculous".

The rule is clear,so what is their issue?

There were some rather disingenuous efforts to exculpate McCarthy but the video shows his caddie line him up,McCarthy then realises what's happened and backs out of the shot....too late mate!

Perhaps the time is ripe for bi- or even trifurcation.

Let the PGA and ET do whatever they want with rules and equipment.No limits.

No limits on equipment used by recreational golfers who do not play officially sanctioned competitions.

Amateur golf played to the strict rules of the R&A/USGA and the respective national bodies.

Well the golf press as the norm with the press and media folks like to stir the pot. Now on the Li incident the European Tour Director admitted the call was correct but there was no latitude in the rules. Of course one of the stuffy R&A officials made some kind of stuffy arrogant comment. I think the European Tour is going to change some aspects of the rule on their comps if the USGA and R&A do not act. I do see in the future again as it was on some things in the past being a bifurcation on the rules. I can remember on the anchored putting ban the PGA at first was going to disregard the rule but then succumbed to pressure.

The groove rule what a joke. Anyone with the common sense the Good Lord gave a house fly knows that was a move by the USGA and the equipment manufacturers to sell more new equipment. Look at some of the new "legal" wedges those grooves are a lot more aggressive than any Ping grooves of days gone by. For me I laughed it made more of my beloved 588 wedges super cheap if not free.

In a nutshell most everyday recreational golfers could give 2 hoots less about the ET, PGA, the USGA or the R&A for that matter. They play how they want to. I know all the groups I play in could give two schmitts less ( as my buddy Bear puts it) what someone plays far as equipment wise. One of the reasons I started our little informal group The Outlaw Golf Association and my favorite saying is "screw the USGA". I got into it one night on here with a "rules Natzi" on here ( should have known better) but I told him "What is the USGA going to do if I play my 1988 Cleveland 588 wedges and my 1980 Macgregor irons?" Send a drone to bomb me on the 4th hole of my course?" I remember on the anchor ban that several courses here and associations voted to disregard the ban in league play. Made perfectly good common business sense because some of the older members with back issues and nerve issues were going to drop the game of golf period. Of course common sense and the USGA (R&A for that matter too) do not go hand in hand. Like I told that WRX member one night I am retired from the Mini Tours and do not play any type of stipulated comps anymore so what do I care? I still contend that every piece of equipment I own was compliant with the current USGA standards on the date of manufacture. When all the crap came down on the rules on the grooves and anchoring I dropped my 20 year plus membership with the USGA. They must be desperate because they sent stuff for 5 years trying to get me to renew. I used to send their post paid envelopes back empty. I know they have folks monitoring WRX and other sites and they know exactly how I feel about them. They have finally quit sending me stuff to renew my membership. Like I have said on here and other sites--- The USGA states they are interested on growing the game--- I call a big BS on that-- the only thing they are interested in is growing their pocketbooks---- Yeah with top golfers in the pro ranks keep complaining publicly about the rules something will be done--- What would make my day is if some of the major stars from both sides of the pond boycotted the US Open and Open Championship. I think the only thing holding some of them back now is sponsorship money from their respective equipment companies. Goes back to all the major equipment manufacturers being " in bed with" the USGA and R&A.

OK rant over for now I need to go take my Blood pressure meds which I have to do everyday anyhow.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Even so it's still a bit of a gamble if you're buying at distance,a few years ago I spotted a full set of Powerbilt blades and laminated woods and after extra photos and negotiation managed to buy them.

Ladies shafts. :swoon:

I still have them,I'm thinking they might turn out to be useful the way things are going!

You too huh? I'm finding that FM 5.5/Apex 3, etc. are getting to be too much of a load on the back.

Until I read your post I had forgotten that the first two times I ever played golf it was with women's clubs. At least with classics they have some weight to them versus modern ladies clubs that weight like feathers.

I have been that way a couple of years now. First finding my beloved Pro Pel 2s were getting to be a bit too much. In steel I have went to the Apex 2s and if I use 3s I soft tip them so I do not have to swing as hard. Lately I am sorta embarrassed to say I have been playing a set of 15 year old KZG Kyoei forged CBs with Swing Science graphite shafts. My back does not hurt and even though the lofts are the same as any of my Mac blades ( based on a 47* PW) I hit them higher and further and can get them through the ball. Main thing my back does not hurt. I had not really said anything on here among friends ( which I should have) but I was really seriously considering giving up the game unless I played like the local short par 3 or walking rounds with a few clubs. A former member here Eilidon ( Mike) and I confer quite a bit in text and on the phone and he has encouraged me and tells me I am on the right track> He knows his stuff as he is a former Tour Player and still teaches and we are around the same age. OSR kinda got me started on the right track last year when he visited and gave me a softer shafted Penna Persimmon driver and I hit that thing good. I sorta have to get over the ego thing and hit those CBs since I do not practice or play as much but when the weather warms up the "Bastardized Macs" will be more than likely in the bag. Played 36 last weekend and that is a lot for me and had absolutely no back pain. Played 18 yesterday with no pain. Must be hitting it ok since I have played the same Snell ball for 54 holes now. I have scuffed one side so bad with the wedges the number is no longer visible. Really have not had any decent greens to putt on. Not knocking anyone because the supers here have had a rough time with all the rain and changing temps.

As discussed on numerous other threads keep in mind that there are NO Shaft Flex Standards and I have seen many "ladies shafts" play firmer than numerous "senior shafts." Just like the number on the club head makes Zero Difference as only the loft and length matter, so too with shaft flex labels as only the actual frequency, torq, and true stiffness matter. Not what the label calls them.

P.S. Labels can be removed or covered. ;)

Yep I have been telling folks that for years but you can not convince them of that--- I have 2 full boxes of shaft labels ( mostly Harrison) and I can put any label on you want. I remember a few years back some folks were so vain on shaft labels that there was some guys going around here selling bootleg DG Tour Issue stickers. I actually reported them to True Temper and the rep told me thanks that they were aware and it was not just in this area. One of the reasons I will not buy any used shaft unless I can see it in person. Now not really the case on here with some of our members that I trust but generally.

Well the golf press as the norm with the press and media folks like to stir the pot. Now on the Li incident the European Tour Director admitted the call was correct but there was no latitude in the rules. Of course one of the stuffy R&A officials made some kind of stuffy arrogant comment. I think the European Tour is going to change some aspects of the rule on their comps if the USGA and R&A do not act. I do see in the future again as it was on some things in the past being a bifurcation on the rules. I can remember on the anchored putting ban the PGA at first was going to disregard the rule but then succumbed to pressure.

The groove rule what a joke. Anyone with the common sense the Good Lord gave a house fly knows that was a move by the USGA and the equipment manufacturers to sell more new equipment. Look at some of the new "legal" wedges those grooves are a lot more aggressive than any Ping grooves of days gone by. For me I laughed it made more of my beloved 588 wedges super cheap if not free.

In a nutshell most everyday recreational golfers could give 2 hoots less about the ET, PGA, the USGA or the R&A for that matter. They play how they want to. I know all the groups I play in could give two schmitts less ( as my buddy Bear puts it) what someone plays far as equipment wise. One of the reasons I started our little informal group The Outlaw Golf Association and my favorite saying is "screw the USGA". I got into it one night on here with a "rules Natzi" on here ( should have known better) but I told him "What is the USGA going to do if I play my 1988 Cleveland 588 wedges and my 1980 Macgregor irons?" Send a drone to bomb me on the 4th hole of my course?" I remember on the anchor ban that several courses here and associations voted to disregard the ban in league play. Made perfectly good common business sense because some of the older members with back issues and nerve issues were going to drop the game of golf period. Of course common sense and the USGA (R&A for that matter too) do not go hand in hand. Like I told that WRX member one night I am retired from the Mini Tours and do not play any type of stipulated comps anymore so what do I care? I still contend that every piece of equipment I own was compliant with the current USGA standards on the date of manufacture. When all the crap came down on the rules on the grooves and anchoring I dropped my 20 year plus membership with the USGA. They must be desperate because they sent stuff for 5 years trying to get me to renew. I used to send their post paid envelopes back empty. I know they have folks monitoring WRX and other sites and they know exactly how I feel about them. They have finally quit sending me stuff to renew my membership. Like I have said on here and other sites--- The USGA states they are interested on growing the game--- I call a big BS on that-- the only thing they are interested in is growing their pocketbooks---- Yeah with top golfers in the pro ranks keep complaining publicly about the rules something will be done--- What would make my day is if some of the major stars from both sides of the pond boycotted the US Open and Open Championship. I think the only thing holding some of them back now is sponsorship money from their respective equipment companies. Goes back to all the major equipment manufacturers being " in bed with" the USGA and R&A.

OK rant over for now I need to go take my Blood pressure meds which I have to do everyday anyhow.

I joined the USGA back in 07, just to get an Oakmont cap. Usually, up until a few years ago, the USGA would send out renewals at $10-15 to those in arrears. I haven't renewed in the last two years since they never send any renewal under $25.

For me, anyhow, the cap is the only worthwhile benefit from membership. Does anyone actually carry the membership card, and proudly hang the bag tag? Reminds me of a job interview many years ago. While being interviewed, the SOB interviewer asked me about my membership in the American Institute of CPA's (listed on my resume.) He asked whether I was actively involved in the organization, or just paid dues to display a certificate on my wall. I sheepishly answered to display a certificate.

Didn't get the job.

Membership in the USGA is like the AICPA. Pretty worthless.

Bring back the $10, and count me in for a cap.

Big Stu,I broadly agree with you about the validity of the so-called governing bodies in my case the R&A who lost all credibility when they sold our golfing heritage (free viewing of the Open championship) to Sky using,as one of the excuses the fact that they needed the money to boost the prize money.

I found it disappointing that in their eyes,the guardians of tradition,that money had an equivalence with prestige.

On the other hand there has to be someone to provide a level playing field for those of us that want to play in club,regional,county or national competitions,at least here in the UK we have our national golf unions which furthers the question of what relevance the R&A has to the average club golfer.

The levels of hypocrisy and stupidity shown by the professional brotherhood has also reached a new high (or low?) whether Trump-ing,desert-ing,destroying or moaning,if the professional tours and their wealthy cry-babies (JPLGA and KLPGA excepted!) disappeared without trace tomorrow I would not lose a wink of sleep.

The groove rule is the worst thing the ruling bodies ever did. It rendered millions of clubs obsolete instantly so that the wedge designers could adapt to new rules so that the 1000 odd touring professionals in the world could have just a little less wedge spin. Which is funny because Rory nuked Congressional with the new grooves at the US Open, so wedge play and spin isn’t the sole cause of low scores. When I was younger I dreamed of winning the US open. Now I would like to just qualify for regionals in some National Championship someday. I never will, but I want to have the chance, and because of that I had to find groove-legal clubs. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to keep the dream alive somehow.

The Ping Eye-2 thing just blew it all up for me: you cant use the old grooves, unless you have this one club from the 80’s because the company that made it won a lawsuit at some point prohibiting the rulemakers from banning it. As a 13-14 year old I didn’t understand that at all.

The ruling bodies need to do something soon. They tried with the new rules, and I’ll give them credit, but in my mind they failed. Whoever they were trying to please, they didn’t. Still have to hit from divots. Potential new players are still confronted by a 100+ page rulebook only now veteran players are just as confused as they are. Dropping from knee-height is ridiculous, mostly because it looks stupid and you have to bend over awkwardly. I didn’t have any problems with the old rules. Sure there were unfair things, sure there were stiff penalties and sure stroke and distance sucks. But I feel like something was missed in the rewrite...

The divot issue that James mentions is unbelievably stupid,they could have written in a complete year round 'preferred lie' rule for a ball on the fairway.

The funny thing is I personally don’t mind the divot thing one way or the other, I’ve never had a strong opinion about it. But if the USGA actually cared about player’s opinions, that would be a change.

The thing I despise personally is in-course out of bounds, and/or out of bounds placed arbitrarily with respect to the boundaries of the course. My personal belief is that ideally, the entire world should be in-bounds, and out of bounds only exist where needed for safety/liability; ie property boundaries. The problem is with dogleg holes with shortcuts that are problematic...

But that’s just my personal feeling. Did I retee when my shot in the High School district championship took a bounce off a tree and came to rest one yard past an internal OB stake? Yes I did, because those are the rules we were playing by.

I think the problem is usually when the rules give a bad break to you, usually we accept it and move on. It seems like a lot of people are not doing so with regards to some of the 2019 rules, and if enough people do it, maybe the problem isn’t theirs?

Speaking of rules, the rules forum here... goodness they get into wars don’t they? Some characters for sure and it can make it really hard to read. I can’t say I like being on there, although it can be fun to watch the fireworks...

I understand what you guys are saying and I have played the same way for nearly 50 years,taking the rough with the smooth but course conditions can vary extremely as regards divots,my previous course on the coast could be very trying at times because of the constant attack by birds on replaced divots combined with a policy of allowing anyone with a set of clubs and £25 to go on the course and hack it up.

Patience is tested when you're playing from open divots over 1 1/2" deep.

Internal out of bounds has always and will always be a contentious issue but there are circumstances where it is warranted as you say for safety but also to make people play the hole in the way it was intended to be played.

Again at my former club there is a good par 4 with OOB all the way down the right,fairway sloping right to left,the hole doglegs slightly right uphill to the green.

One of the regular players who can hit a long ball started hitting his tee shot straight left over some small trees and onto the 13th fairway that runs parallel,yelling 'Fore!' if there happened to be a group playing there.

In my view,stupid,dangerous and not within the spirit of the game.

Where I played a lot of my early golf,the 18th was a par 5,a row of cross bunkers at driving distance,trees on the left and the practice ground on the right.

The practice ground was subsequently made OOB because players were driving deliberately into it to avoid the bunkers and with a decent lie were able to get close in two and sometimes reach the green.

So there is a case to be made for internal OOB.

It been my experience that chunks eof grass a,a

will probably die and turn brown in A few days . I personally rather have the divot filled with seed and sand. It grows back and you have a nice fairway. When I was a ranger in Arizona every cart started each round with two full bottlesof sand and seed . Rangers carried extra sand to replenish the sand players were using to fill their divots . Amazing how many players diligently sanded their divots. And amazing how many didn’t. Just sayin

C

Where I played a lot of my early golf,the 18th was a par 5,a row of cross bunkers at driving distance,trees on the left and the practice ground on the right.

The practice ground was subsequently made OOB because players were driving deliberately into it to avoid the bunkers and with a decent lie were able to get close in two and sometimes reach the green.

I despise internal out of bounds as well. But I don't think the case above should be made for it. Course designers, or members, whoever subsequently make the decisions, should plant trees, or shrubs, or even stick up a fence close to the tee to prevent it. All that happens with internal OOB is it can penalize an average shot as well as someone trying to gain an advantage.

I despise internal out of bounds as well. But I don't think the case above should be made for it. Course designers, or members, whoever subsequently make the decisions, should plant trees, or shrubs, or even stick up a fence close to the tee to prevent it. All that happens with internal OOB is it can penalize an average shot as well as someone trying to gain an advantage.

Kindly explain what your problem is with internal OOB and how it affects the way a course is played.

My problem with it is it feels like a cop-out, a deus ex machina for course architects when the course design itself doesn’t serve to require proper play of a hole. The primary issue is it seems so arbitrary: you must play this way because someone put sticks in the ground, not because of a forest, lake, sand, ocean, etc.

Why not have an internal OB surrounding every hole, requiring each hole be played within the bounds of its own architecture?

That’s my problem with it, but again, I accept it because of safety and indeed spirit of the game. The sting is just when you try to play the hole the right way, miss, and wind up with a double-whammy of bad shot and OB.

Your examples above are exactly situations that call for such an internal boundary.

My problem with it is it feels like a cop-out, a deus ex machina for course architects when the course design itself doesn't serve to require proper play of a hole. The primary issue is it seems so arbitrary: you must play this way because someone put sticks in the ground, not because of a forest, lake, sand, ocean, etc.

Why not have an internal OB surrounding every hole, requiring each hole be played within the bounds of its own architecture?

That's my problem with it, but again, I accept it because of safety and indeed spirit of the game. The sting is just when you try to play the hole the right way, miss, and wind up with a double-whammy of bad shot and OB.

Your examples above are exactly situations that call for such an internal boundary.

A lot of courses are like that in Japan. No, I don't like it.

Often, I think I was put there for pace of play reasons, to stop someone holding up play by going into a neighbouring fairway to hit their second shot.

My problem with it is it feels like a cop-out, a deus ex machina for course architects when the course design itself doesn't serve to require proper play of a hole. The primary issue is it seems so arbitrary: you must play this way because someone put sticks in the ground, not because of a forest, lake, sand, ocean, etc.

That's my problem with it, but again, I accept it because of safety and indeed spirit of the game. The sting is just when you try to play the hole the right way, miss, and wind up with a double-whammy of bad shot and OB.

A lot of courses are like that in Japan. No, I don't like it.

Often, I think I was put there for pace of play reasons, to stop someone holding up play by going into a neighbouring fairway to hit their second shot.

Exactly so,I was also going to mention at least one course I've played where they have internal OOB around a rough area to discourage people from spending time looking for balls and needlessly holding the course up.

Technology also has its part to play in this,there are areas on almost all older golf courses that never came into play when the course was designed and played with persimmon woods and balata balls.

Throwing this under the rave heading. My old boss stopped by this morning. The lucky stiff had a 3 day run of golf at Yeamans Hall, The Country Club of Charleston and then The Ocean Course. About as good as it gets in my neck of the woods. Me I did 2 days at the local muni and yesterday at Pawleys Island up Stu’s way.

Throwing this under the rave heading. My old boss stopped by this morning. The lucky stiff had a 3 day run of golf at Yeamans Hall, The Country Club of Charleston and then The Ocean Course. About as good as it gets in my neck of the woods. Me I did 2 days at the local muni and yesterday at Pawleys Island up Stu's way.

Off topic, but I just off the phone with Hogan Apex Blades - asked me to say hello to you (and others, like Stu, etc). He's currently freezing his cajones off in Chitown.

Have been wondering about the HAB'ster of late, noticing he hasn't been posting. Concerned. Good to read that he's freezing his cajones off like the rest of us in the northern latitudes. Hoping all is well and nothing more than a WRX sabbatical.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

HAB is doing OK. Had knee surgery on the left (leading) knee, and is getting a bit longer in the tooth, so he felt playing with pain last year wasn't worth it. Kind of lost interest in most things golf. I talked with him last year, and I could hear the pain in his voice, and felt it best to leave things be for a while.

Speaking with him today, as he was looking for stuff for his Indian motorcycle, he sounded better....a bit removed from golf, but with the prospects of playing without the pain in his lead knee.

If any of you would like to get in touch with him, feel free to PM me. He has not visited this site for quite some time - which is what concerned me last year.

But - trust me, he's doing fine. Fella, in the past, Big Stu and I thought of doing a road trip to the upper midwest (Chicago, Michigan) and Alan was really interested in our possible trip. If we manage to schedule it, we were going to do something in SW Michigan, where some of the other WRX family might want to get together. Alan wants to show everyone his 2000+ stash of collectibles.

Let's get through all this winter stuff, and see where things are come spring/summer.

And, just so you know - the "F" bomb was thrown around a bit today, describing the cold and snow....so, you know it's truly HAB

Throwing this under the rave heading. My old boss stopped by this morning. The lucky stiff had a 3 day run of golf at Yeamans Hall, The Country Club of Charleston and then The Ocean Course. About as good as it gets in my neck of the woods. Me I did 2 days at the local muni and yesterday at Pawleys Island up Stu's way.

Where were you at on PI? We are playing The River Club tomorrow. The CC of Charleston is going to be the site of this years US Women's Open. My lifelong friend from Charlotte his Daughter got Symetra Tour status this year and she is going to try to qualify for the US Women's Open. If she makes it I will be there all 5 days.

HAB is doing OK. Had knee surgery on the left (leading) knee, and is getting a bit longer in the tooth, so he felt playing with pain last year wasn't worth it. Kind of lost interest in most things golf. I talked with him last year, and I could hear the pain in his voice, and felt it best to leave things be for a while.

Speaking with him today, as he was looking for stuff for his Indian motorcycle, he sounded better....a bit removed from golf, but with the prospects of playing without the pain in his lead knee.

If any of you would like to get in touch with him, feel free to PM me. He has not visited this site for quite some time - which is what concerned me last year.

But - trust me, he's doing fine. Fella, in the past, Big Stu and I thought of doing a road trip to the upper midwest (Chicago, Michigan) and Alan was really interested in our possible trip. If we manage to schedule it, we were going to do something in SW Michigan, where some of the other WRX family might want to get together. Alan wants to show everyone his 2000+ stash of collectibles.

Let's get through all this winter stuff, and see where things are come spring/summer.

And, just so you know - the "F" bomb was thrown around a bit today, describing the cold and snow....so, you know it's truly HAB

I got his number I will give him a call and LOL I know some bombs were dropped--- He will be dropping some when I tell him it has been in the 70s and 80s this week and I have already played twice this week--- Granted they were late afternoon 9 hole rounds but I got to play. Like I told Randy a while ago we are playing the River Club in Pawleys Island tomorrow