2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

Has gone a bit mad. Like drugs tests. I think some British athlete has recently been awarded the bronze medal from a World Championship in 2008 or something mad like that. Must have had half a mind to tell them to shove it up their 400 metre hurdles.

It's situations such as this that make me reflect on the whole Lance Armstrong fiasco. A whole decade of results were essentially wiped clean in professional cycling with the spoils eventually doled out to the highest placed competitor that didn't get caught or implicated in the various doping scandals of the period. A complete sham really when you consider that PED's in isolation do not create a world class athlete, let alone a champion.

Maybe, just maybe, Lance was the right winner at the right time within a sport so riddled with corruption and doping. Not only did he grow the sport beyond its traditional Eurocentric roots, but he did tremendous good in promoting cancer awareness, funding research and providing inspiration to those battling the dreaded disease. Now he's just a pariah that the righteous do-gooders want to crucify on the cross.

Now this is an extreme example, but it does help to high light the double standards to which we hold others accountable to. Lots have been stripped of results for infinitesimal readings that amount to reasonable doubt in the real world, but not the artificial world that is sport. When over-the-counter cold medications can get you banned, we're standing on a pretty slippery slope. But ah yes, there is the Therapeutic Use Exemption which is just another way of saying special treatment for special people. It's a mad, mad world...

Don't forget about the whole Sheryl Crow relationship...

Sorry to be so late to this party, beating a dead horse and all that, but, given it is a Lance and Sheryl thing I thought I should chime in.

Not name dropping, but Sheryl and I share the same home town in Southeast Missouri. She grew up 2 doors down from one of my cousins, her mom and dad still reside there. Another cousin went to school with her. Anyway, a few years back, when they were an item, they were in town celebrating Thanksgiving with her family. The big news in town was that they were spotted shopping at the local Walmart the day after Thanksgiving.

She's quite the standup girl.

The WHINERS are winning at Erin Hills...

http://www.golfdiges...-before-us-open

:censored2:

If they were just a little bit creative, the length of the rough wouldn't matter.

I hear you and agree with you to some degree.

The problem is that courses that we play will start to copy this sort of thing in the interest of saving on maintenance.

And for most of "us," just don't hit it there isn't always an option. The entire Earth is "in play."

I have a friend who traveled to a course with this type of grass. Made the mistake of hitting it in there, and in order to preserve his manhood in front of the other guys went in for a hack. That was two years ago, and his wrist still isn't right, despite no play for six solid months.

Testing players in the US Open is one thing. The recreational game, however, doesn't need this sort of crap.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

The WHINERS are winning at Erin Hills...

http://www.golfdiges...-before-us-open

:censored2:

If they were just a little bit creative, the length of the rough wouldn't matter.

I hear you and agree with you to some degree.

The problem is that courses that we play will start to copy this sort of thing in the interest of saving on maintenance.

And for most of "us," just don't hit it there isn't always an option. The entire Earth is "in play."

I have a friend who traveled to a course with this type of grass. Made the mistake of hitting it in there, and in order to preserve his manhood in front of the other guys went in for a hack. That was two years ago, and his wrist still isn't right, despite no play for six solid months.

Testing players in the US Open is one thing. The recreational game, however, doesn't need this sort of crap.

As was mentioned earlier this is not untypical for Wisconsin and I'm sure other upper midwest areas as well. It's nothing new and I don't for a minute believe it will become a trend as courses are already struggling to stay afloat and rendering them unplayable for the average duffer is not a good business model. I played on courses that looked like this for years and was able to shoot bogey or better. You do it by playing for placement instead of distance. These spoiled whiners are crying because they are going to have to play more than 3 clubs (Driver, Wedge, Putter) like they want to. Boohoo. As has been said many times and various places on our end of these boards, Today's Pros are not good enough to carry the bags of the Pros from the 50's through the 80's.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

IDK. Actually enjoy playing this style of course. On occasion. A links course with lots of tall fescue guarding the fairways. Have had the privilege of playing a particular course here in this state that resembles Erin Hills. Arcadia Bluffs. And continue to marvel at the scenery and overall majesty of the layout each time (3x) that I've played there. And its tough as nails to play. Hit the ball off into the tall grass, give only a cursory look to where the ball may be. More often than not, you won't find it. And if you do, rarely left with anything resembling a playable shot. I'm no hero. I'll take my drop, penalty stroke and play on. I'm playing the course for reasons quite beyond whatever score may be realized. Then again, I'm not playing the course at 7800 yards, more like 6100.

But aren't these guys suppose to be good? At least that's what they keep advertising to us to draw in our viewing eye. Get really tired of these pros whining about whatever while they are raking in boatloads of money. Their angst rings exceedingly shallow.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Has gone a bit mad. Like drugs tests. I think some British athlete has recently been awarded the bronze medal from a World Championship in 2008 or something mad like that. Must have had half a mind to tell them to shove it up their 400 metre hurdles.

It's situations such as this that make me reflect on the whole Lance Armstrong fiasco. A whole decade of results were essentially wiped clean in professional cycling with the spoils eventually doled out to the highest placed competitor that didn't get caught or implicated in the various doping scandals of the period. A complete sham really when you consider that PED's in isolation do not create a world class athlete, let alone a champion.

Maybe, just maybe, Lance was the right winner at the right time within a sport so riddled with corruption and doping. Not only did he grow the sport beyond its traditional Eurocentric roots, but he did tremendous good in promoting cancer awareness, funding research and providing inspiration to those battling the dreaded disease. Now he's just a pariah that the righteous do-gooders want to crucify on the cross.

Now this is an extreme example, but it does help to high light the double standards to which we hold others accountable to. Lots have been stripped of results for infinitesimal readings that amount to reasonable doubt in the real world, but not the artificial world that is sport. When over-the-counter cold medications can get you banned, we're standing on a pretty slippery slope. But ah yes, there is the Therapeutic Use Exemption which is just another way of saying special treatment for special people. It's a mad, mad world...

Don't forget about the whole Sheryl Crow relationship...

Sorry to be so late to this party, beating a dead horse and all that, but, given it is a Lance and Sheryl thing I thought I should chime in.

Not name dropping, but Sheryl and I share the same home town in Southeast Missouri. She grew up 2 doors down from one of my cousins, her mom and dad still reside there. Another cousin went to school with her. Anyway, a few years back, when they were an item, they were in town celebrating Thanksgiving with her family. The big news in town was that they were spotted shopping at the local Walmart the day after Thanksgiving.

She's quite the standup girl.

Randy, I've always liked her and her music. I don't agree with her 1 sheet of toilet paper philosophy but, I wouldn't kick her out for making a mess...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I wouldn't play from it either. No sense risking injury. But after all, as Rory said, it IS a hazard and the fairways are wide. I like others grow weary of hearing how good these guys are while at the same time hearing the complaining before a competitive shot has been hit.

If they are that good, make them all play the same ball, one that I can buy. Make them play clubs I could buy, with smaller sweet spots, nonadjustable. Limit shafts too. Then let's see who is good.

Impractical, I know. The monied interests wouldn't allow it. Money has ruined the pro game, IMO. But its the same in all pro sports. Waaaahhhhh.

As was mentioned earlier this is not untypical for Wisconsin and I'm sure other upper midwest areas as well. It's nothing new and I don't for a minute believe it will become a trend as courses are already struggling to stay afloat and rendering them unplayable for the average duffer is not a good business model. I played on courses that looked like this for years and was able to shoot bogey or better. You do it by playing for placement instead of distance. These spoiled whiners are crying because they are going to have to play more than 3 clubs (Driver, Wedge, Putter) like they want to. Boohoo. As has been said many times and various places on our end of these boards, Today's Pros are not good enough to carry the bags of the Pros from the 50's through the 80's.

Yes, Tim V. Experience this type of course layout with some degree of regularity here. Just like you did while living in WI. Obviously not to the degree of Erin or Arcadia. But a lot of tall grass guarding the fairways. And the key to playing them modestly well is to keep the ball under control. Placement. Playing irons off the tee, if necessary, to find the short grass. Can't just whack away, chase it down and repeat for the next shot from the adjacent fairway.

Well, Rory just made a drastic ascension in my esteem...

https://sports.yahoo.com/2017-u-s-open-grass-wars-pit-players-vs-usga-195349945.html

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

What a bunch of pussies! I just saw the video clip that Westwood posted that was included in your link. Things don't look nearly so severe in the video because you've got quite a bit of first and second cut to work with that isn't all that wirey. The issue was the fescue. Well it's supposed to be an issue otherwise it wouldn't be there in the first place! Now they're going at it with weed whackers to open up certain areas even more despite already having the widest fairways in any PGA stop?!

Well...it is the USGA after all so nothing should surprise... :rolleyes:

Wake me up if there ever is a compelling reason to watch golf again!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Going up to MB with the traveling seniors today to play a track new to me. Looked on their website and looks like one needs to play it strategically, so I thought I would pick up a small GPS unit. That's against my way of thinking, just me being OCD about the old school thing, but, I really am OCD about cover yardage also, so, not knowing if I could pick up a yardage book, I thought since one particular one was on sale at a local brick and mortar, and a buddy picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it's BIG numbers, easy to use and read, and my hands tremor too much these days to go with a laser...

Anyway, dropped by after work yesterday. Out of my way home in rush hour traffic btw, well....to my surprise it was now on sale for Fathers Day. On Sale...they jacked up the price 30 bucks over their Memorial Day sale price. Still discounted, but was so disappointed I politely told them to "Pack Sand."

Looking on the inter web I noticed the other online retailers still had it at the lower sale price.

I guess it wasn't meant to be, so I'll be doing my thing, eyeballing as usual.

Going up to MB with the traveling seniors today to play a track new to me. Looked on their website and looks like one needs to play it strategically, so I thought I would pick up a small GPS unit. That's against my way of thinking, just me being OCD about the old school thing, but, I really am OCD about cover yardage also, so, not knowing if I could pick up a yardage book, I thought since one particular one was on sale at a local brick and mortar, and a buddy picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it's BIG numbers, easy to use and read, and my hands tremor too much these days to go with a laser...

Anyway, dropped by after work yesterday. Out of my way home in rush hour traffic btw, well....to my surprise it was now on sale for Fathers Day. On Sale...they jacked up the price 30 bucks over their Memorial Day sale price. Still discounted, but was so disappointed I politely told them to "Pack Sand."

Looking on the inter web I noticed the other online retailers still had it at the lower sale price.

Randy,

As a former "looper", I prefer to walk and pace off yardages myself. I don't want to be reliant on a mechanical gizmo to tell me how far I am from the center of the green. I'm not firing a missile here with intent to a hit a 4 foot wide target. I'm on the course to have fun and play as the old timers did, ala Jones, Nelson, Hogan, Snead, Palmer & Nicklaus. When the day comes that I'm in need of electronic guidance, I will spend my golf free time at "TOP GOLF" instead of Medinah.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

"Does Na believe his frank footage may’ve swayed the USGA to get out the mowers? While he prudently decided not to expound on that theory, noting “that’s a no-win deal,” Na said he heard fans Thursday yelling out in support over his fescue comments. Paul Azinger, Fox Sports’ lead analyst, deemed Na’s posting “brilliant.” “He did the USGA and the U.S. Open a great service by drawing the attention to the severity that we’ve got this week,” Azinger said. “I thought it was hilarious. I was thinking, ‘Man, I’m sure glad I wasn’t doing social media when I was playing.’ ”

We are too Azinger. You're enough of a tool as is...

http://golfweek.com/2017/06/15/kevin-na-defends-fescue-complaints-comments-after-opening-68-at-us-open/

IDK. Actually enjoy playing this style of course. On occasion. A links course with lots of tall fescue guarding the fairways. Have had the privilege of playing a particular course here in this state that resembles Erin Hills. Arcadia Bluffs. And continue to marvel at the scenery and overall majesty of the layout each time (3x) that I've played there. And its tough as nails to play. Hit the ball off into the tall grass, give only a cursory look to where the ball may be. More often than not, you won't find it. And if you do, rarely left with anything resembling a playable shot. I'm no hero. I'll take my drop, penalty stroke and play on. I'm playing the course for reasons quite beyond whatever score may be realized. Then again, I'm not playing the course at 7800 yards, more like 6100.

But aren't these guys suppose to be good? At least that's what they keep advertising to us to draw in our viewing eye. Get really tired of these pros whining about whatever while they are raking in boatloads of money. Their angst rings exceedingly shallow.

Fella-

Although these are great photos of Arcadia Bluffs, Erin Hills does NOT have any Lake Michigan backdrop.

The Wisconsin course that does would be Whistling Straits.

To my knowledge, both of the WI courses are Walking Only.

Rex:

Well aware that EH is not on the lake. Arcadia was used as representative example of a relatively treeless, links-style course featuring a large expanse of tall fescue as part of the design feature. Could have used The Gailes at Lakewood Shores as another example that is not in direct proximity of the lake. And the "Old Course" at Indianwood another prime example. Good enough to host the U.S Women's Open in '89 and the U.S. Senior Open in '12.

Simply making the point that we have a fair number of courses of this style to play in the state. And in response to the "hope this does become a regular course design style" post. A rather like playing a links style course. Certainly more so than a modernist "target golf" course.

Where did you guys play?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Arrowhead.

Weather held up okay, some wind, but the storm passed us by. Was in good condition. Some sand still on the greens from top dressing, but it didn't bother the roll much.

A course you have to play a few times to get a line off the tee in my opinion.

Played Lakes and Waterway nines. I could be mistaken, but, seemed like everything except the 3's and 1 par four were hard dogleg lefts.

I am off next Saturday. I will call you later in the week to see if you might be available to play if I drive up.

Arrowhead.

Weather held up okay, some wind, but the storm passed us by. Was in good condition. Some sand still on the greens from top dressing, but it didn't bother the roll much.

A course you have to play a few times to get a line off the tee in my opinion.

Played Lakes and Waterway nines. I could be mistaken, but, seemed like everything except the 3's and 1 par four were hard dogleg lefts.

I am off next Saturday. I will call you later in the week to see if you might be available to play if I drive up.

OK call to see. I know I am playing next Sunday PM supposedly a friend of mine ((fellow trucker) and his son are coming down from Hartsville SC but Sat should be fine. They just punched and verdi cut our greens and boy did they need it. The greens were beat to death from all the tourist traffic and they had put off doing the needed work because of the excessive play for 3 weeks now. If we get some rain this week they should be fine. I presume we are playing vintage I have anticipated that and have put the old dependable VIPs and Penna with the Aldila graphite shaft in the Mac Staff bag for this but I can always play the 52 Toski irons too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Bang on Tim. Don't need someone typing their entire stream of consciousness into Twitter to work out they're a complete plum.

And yes, I am painfully aware that I type all sorts of relentless unfiltered industrial refuse into here, but I'm not famous so it is the equivalent of a man sitting in a skip outside a supermarket drinking medicine.

Roll up, roll up! The USGA course set up circus is in town. Will they have big rough? Fescue? Greens so bare they have to water then between groups? Bored now. F$€k off.

Oh no! Look at all the people under par after three rounds! The USGA's minions have been working tirelessly through the night to install windmills, exciting new multiball feature and building ten foot tall brickwalls around each tee, and if anyone is still under par with nine holes to go, they will release hungry sharks on wheels onto the course.

Peeling back the veneer on golf gear

http://www.morningread.com/features/0c251c00-dce2-4096-b6ea-0e2399991a36

"If you bought your latest driver solely because of what you read in a golf magazine or online, then there are about as many brains in its head as there are in yours."

*Warning this could be viewed as a Political Statement,

but isn't...

President Trump is an A--hole!...

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/2017/06/22/watch-president-trump-drives-cart-all-over-bedminster-green

*Warning this could be viewed as a Political Statement,

but isn't...

President Trump is an A--hole!...

http://www.golf.com/...edminster-green

This fool has no concept of decorum befitting of the office of the POTUS!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa