2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rants and Raves...

In before delete. Read from multiple sources that he has a hard time adding up his score correctly whilst playing as well. Hmmm.

Maybe he likes to play Willie Nelson style. When asked what par was....."Anything I want it to be."

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Donald pleas for short courses...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/grill-room/donald-makes-plea-short-courses-wake-erin-hills/?cid=Email_TuesdayNL_20170627

But, that might require playing real golf instead of just Bomb and Gouge!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Agree. Erin Hills looked like even I could hit every fairway albeit 75 yds shorter than them. The fun of bomb and gouge is a new relatively concept. I prefer thinking golf. Ex. last week had a aprx 70 yrs approach shot. I assume most would of used some kind of wedge and went right for the flag. The pin was a tad left but two bunkers were guarding the front. Took a 7iron a little hard 3/4 chip shot, landed 10yds short, ran up caught the slope and stopped 8ft from the hole. 3 other guys, one in the bunker, one over the flag to back fringe, one just on the front. Dam I love my Eye 2s

Took a 7iron a little hard 3/4 chip shot, landed 10yds short, ran up caught the slope and stopped 8ft from the hole.

Chip and run, or bump and run, seems to be a lost art. Well played.

It will make an appearance again in a little over three weeks at Royal Birkdale. :golfer:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I am moving house at the moment. Whilst having the renovations finished, all over-running and lots of grown up conversations with builder. Have three children under six. Days off, but work still e-mailing. Cashed in most of my chips, but will need another trip to the bank to sort it all out. Cricket rained off last night and haven't been on the course for a week.

Honestly don't have anything to moan about compared to all the horrors of the world as I know I am insanely lucky.

But this can all, still, nonetheless, kiss the back of my b011@ck5.

I am moving house at the moment. Whilst having the renovations finished, all over-running and lots of grown up conversations with builder. Have three children under six. Days off, but work still e-mailing. Cashed in most of my chips, but will need another trip to the bank to sort it all out. Cricket rained off last night and haven't been on the course for a week.

Honestly don't have anything to moan about compared to all the horrors of the world as I know I am insanely lucky.

But this can all, still, nonetheless, kiss the back of my b011@ck5.

I always love how you put things. Although I don't really know you I tend to think of you as my brother from another... country.

Hope things get sorted out for you soon.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Really good article. I played Erin Hills last year with my hickories and I was really excited to see the pros give it a twirl. Amazed at how their length made many of holes just a pitch and putt. I like the idea of growing the rough and bringing green speeds back to more historical levels. This would make some old classic green complexes really exciting (thinking of Donald Ross designs). This would also help reduce water consumption and daily maintenance cost.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

All well and good, but, the voice of the paying public, be it private, or, daily fee, drives the green speeds.

We double cut in the mornings, and sometimes cut again in the afternoons to maintain the wishes of the membership.

But since the vast majority of the paying public, be it private, or, daily fee can't drive the ball over 300 yards then why do the courses continue to get longer?

If that is the end all then wouldn't all holes become 350 yard par 5's with 200 yard wide fairways and no bunkers, rough, or water and 12" diameter holes on those fast greens?

I'm just asking...

and wondering where it will all end up.

Why the courses get longer and to another point about green speeds. Defense of the courses, with respect to par, is the answer you will be given.

Most older, established tracks, when initially laid out, had certain factors that regulated the assault on par. The best architects did this without gimmicks, using the natural elements of the location, terrain, prevailing winds, native grasses, when initially laying out the course. Taking yardage, and speed of the green into account when addressing a hole for a standard of par.

Each course was built with the understanding of the day, equipment, both implements to play the game, and those to maintain the course conditions.

Progress happens, balls fly farther, mowers cut more precisely, the envelope gets stretched.

Good article .. but ...

"It’s not a ball issue nor an equipment issue. It’s evolution. Players are bigger, stronger and know so much more about the swing."

Yeah ... right ... OK mate ... :)

If I was a billionaire I'd offer a £20M purse for a 72 hole persimmon/blades/balata tournament (I'd make my own balata balls) to test that little statement. Course set up as per the 1980s for fairways/rough/greens etc. Would be an interesting way to blow a few million :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

OK, so we came to Flagstaff (altitude 6,909' MSL) from Scottsdale to escape the heat for a few days. It was a last-minute thing, so we couldn't get a cabin, which would have been nice.

Getting acclimated to the language and culture of the US isn't easy for my Japanese wife, so we rescued a great little dog from the pound. She and the dog are quite happy.

Did you ever notice that people with dogs are much nicer and polite to each other than people without dogs? If you don't like dogs, I'm perfectly fine with that, though.

So, we brought the dog and searched for a dog-friendly place to stay. The place at the top of the Google list is where we are right now. Lot's of people with dogs and lot's of people being polite, except for three nasty wenches who sat next to us downstairs...

They have a great breakfast and dinner buffet thing (with free drinks!) and we're sitting in an area where the dogs are fine and minding our own business. The three nasties sit next to us and are whining and complaining about everything they discuss. The weather, the hotel, the food, the poor, pathetic guy who's married to the 30-something whining wench with her mother and aunt but late coming home for the golf course.

How dare he play golf when he has wenches to entertain.

The whiny one starts complaining about our dog who is sitting quietly, enjoying the scenery, as we have a bite to eat. Then she whines about all the other dogs. She's relentless.

She calls the manager over and whines about her dog allergies and asks if they have allergy medicine. Huh? The manager apologizes and says she can certainly move to another hotel and they'll refund her money if she does.

My wife heads outside with the dog and quenn wench follows her and sneakily takes photos of her and the dog. I suppose these are for her whining blog or to complain on Yelp that a dog-friendly hotel has, gasp, dogs!

Now, let me be clear about something. We were sitting there first and they sat next to us. There were plenty of open tables in the no-dog area is even outside. But she just enjoys whining.

I'm cleaning off the table as she comes back and continues her whining about dogs.

I had enough. I told her I'm sorry about her allergies, but all of these dogs are here because this is dog-friendly hotel. I gave her some friendly advice - since her allergies are so severe and she's had them for decades, why not Google pet-friendly hotels in an area and NOT stay there.

This hotel is at the top of the list. And you sat next to us. Get your butt up and go to the no-dog tables area.

She wanted to call the police, saying that I assaulted her with that language. I said you assault the intelligence and sensibility of everyone in this hotel.

The moral of the story for me is that dogs are nicer than some people. :)

/rant

Ironically, here's a photo of her at the Flagstaff golf course!

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Soloman1, All I can say is that it sounds like you were far more polite to her than I would have been.

The older I get the lower my tolerance becomes when dealing with @ssholes.

It's pretty much non-existent now. I am happier, but my wife fears I Will end in up jail. lol

In before delete. Read from multiple sources that he has a hard time adding up his score correctly whilst playing as well. Hmmm.

Maybe he likes to play Willie Nelson style. When asked what par was....."Anything I want it to be."

Ck out post 104

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1271354-ever-played-with-a-touring-pro/page__st__90

Soloman1, All I can say is that it sounds like you were far more polite to her than I would have been.

The older I get the lower my tolerance becomes when dealing with @ssholes.

It's pretty much non-existent now. I am happier, but my wife fears I Will end in up jail. lol

LOL I am exactly the same way you are and the older I get the lower my tolerance level gets. My buddy Bo Bear is about 4 years older than I am and his is even less than mine. He laughs all the time and tells me wait until you get my age

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Really good article. I played Erin Hills last year with my hickories and I was really excited to see the pros give it a twirl. Amazed at how their length made many of holes just a pitch and putt. I like the idea of growing the rough and bringing green speeds back to more historical levels. This would make some old classic green complexes really exciting (thinking of Donald Ross designs). This would also help reduce water consumption and daily maintenance cost.

Agree with you 200%!!! especially when you mention a Donald Ross course

All well and good, but, the voice of the paying public, be it private, or, daily fee, drives the green speeds.

We double cut in the mornings, and sometimes cut again in the afternoons to maintain the wishes of the membership.

What do you guys have your mowers set at? Depending on the type of grass you have if they cut them real low as hot as it is they better use plenty of water or they will burn up. Due to all the play we had during the spring season and what we are continue to have all our greens are stressed out and this heat aint helping either

Stu,

They are always changing mower height. There is no reason, in my opinion, for us to cut that much in a day, with the limited play we get, other than vanity.

And yes, last summer it was a constant battle to not lose the greens.

Don't have to worry about it til October since the course is getting a complete makeover back to the 1920's design specs.

Am I the only one who finds this whole "controversy" ridiculous?

I honestly find the anchored putter ban itself ridiculous quite honestly...

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/07/07/bernhard-langer-scott-mccarron-usga-respond-anchoring-controversy

http://www.golf.com/...ing-controversy

I agree. It is ridiculous! A bunch of stuffed shirts at the USGA and R&A got together and made a decision based on the whining and moaning of certain high profile individuals in golf and basically gave the middle finger salute to all older players who had turned to the long putter as a means of dealing with back issues.

So, they don't care about me; I don't care about them and they can stuff their membership and raise money some other way! Put on a show -- they're good at it -- cause they don't really care about golf!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

http://www.golf.com/...ing-controversy

I agree. It is ridiculous! A bunch of stuffed shirts at the USGA and R&A got together and made a decision based on the whining and moaning of certain high profile individuals in golf and basically gave the middle finger salute to all older players who had turned to the long putter as a means of dealing with back issues.

So, they don't care about me; I don't care about them and they can stuff their membership and raise money some other way! Put on a show -- they're good at it -- cause they don't really care about golf!

Like that last paragraph oh so true and coming from an OGA member to boot--- Man I am proud of you!! Keep the anti USGA pro OGA fires burning

OK, so we came to Flagstaff (altitude 6,909' MSL) from Scottsdale to escape the heat for a few days. It was a last-minute thing, so we couldn't get a cabin, which would have been nice.

Getting acclimated to the language and culture of the US isn't easy for my Japanese wife, so we rescued a great little dog from the pound. She and the dog are quite happy.

Did you ever notice that people with dogs are much nicer and polite to each other than people without dogs? If you don't like dogs, I'm perfectly fine with that, though.

So, we brought the dog and searched for a dog-friendly place to stay. The place at the top of the Google list is where we are right now. Lot's of people with dogs and lot's of people being polite, except for three nasty wenches who sat next to us downstairs...

They have a great breakfast and dinner buffet thing (with free drinks!) and we're sitting in an area where the dogs are fine and minding our own business. The three nasties sit next to us and are whining and complaining about everything they discuss. The weather, the hotel, the food, the poor, pathetic guy who's married to the 30-something whining wench with her mother and aunt but late coming home for the golf course.

How dare he play golf when he has wenches to entertain.

The whiny one starts complaining about our dog who is sitting quietly, enjoying the scenery, as we have a bite to eat. Then she whines about all the other dogs. She's relentless.

She calls the manager over and whines about her dog allergies and asks if they have allergy medicine. Huh? The manager apologizes and says she can certainly move to another hotel and they'll refund her money if she does.

My wife heads outside with the dog and quenn wench follows her and sneakily takes photos of her and the dog. I suppose these are for her whining blog or to complain on Yelp that a dog-friendly hotel has, gasp, dogs!

Now, let me be clear about something. We were sitting there first and they sat next to us. There were plenty of open tables in the no-dog area is even outside. But she just enjoys whining.

I'm cleaning off the table as she comes back and continues her whining about dogs.

I had enough. I told her I'm sorry about her allergies, but all of these dogs are here because this is dog-friendly hotel. I gave her some friendly advice - since her allergies are so severe and she's had them for decades, why not Google pet-friendly hotels in an area and NOT stay there.

This hotel is at the top of the list. And you sat next to us. Get your butt up and go to the no-dog tables area.

She wanted to call the police, saying that I assaulted her with that language. I said you assault the intelligence and sensibility of everyone in this hotel.

The moral of the story for me is that dogs are nicer than some people. :)

/rant

Ironically, here's a photo of her at the Flagstaff golf course!

Assulated her with your speech?? What a laugh. I guess she did not learn about the Constitution Of The United States of America or the Bill of Rights. Somewhere in there I am certain it gives us the right to voice our opinion whether folks like her like it or not. Of course it also gives her the right too even if she is to stupid to know it. Glad I was not there because she would have gotten some assulting redneck language from me

What is the "OGA"?

Is there a thread that outlines the gripe about the USGA in general - I understand the anchoring issue, the mishandling of penalties and fumbling they have done in the last few years - or is there a general mistrust of the " governing bodies "?

Serious question, I don't mean to upset anyone.

OGA - Outlaw Golf Association. The 1%'ers of golfdom. Big Stu is the founder and illustrious leader. A way of thumbing our collective noses at the stupid rules laid forth by the USGA and R & A. No specific thread, just randomness sprinkled about it, here and elsewhere.

For one to join, its a simple process. Pick a membership number and place it in your sig. Once so "patched", you pledge to play at golf however you damn well please. Better yet, membership costs you nothing.

Examples: In a divot, roll the ball out before hitting. Anchored/long putter, just fine to use. Any clubs, any type of grooves, are good to go.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Since we are on the "rules", I've always been puzzled by " you cannot give or ask for advice" in the sense that there would seem to be a lot of grey areas. For example, does " you're supposed to hit the ball first", or, the bunker corollary ,"you're suppose to hit the sand first" constitute advise? For the sake of clarity, let's say it doesn't because these are invariably offered after the shot. Now, take the pre-shot statement "I always hit into the pond on this hole". It would seem critical to know if the speaker or his opponent was on the tee when weighing this as advice. On reflection, maybe it doesn't. Finally, my true confusion involves rangefinders. You've completed your preparation on an approach shot, entered the "be the ball" phase, and from behind you hear " It's a 168". Aborting the shot, you turn and consider your reply carefully. "Was that on sale"?