Epic SZ shaft choice for higher launch

Morry

Late release and low launch and spin player

left-handed swing

Epic SZ only comes 9^ and not 10.5* left

Prefer the flatter lie angle and square face (to keep away from draw bias) and would prefer to use the shaft to achieve higher launch than dial up the loft on optifit hosel

Any thoughts on shaft ideas for this application?

much appreciated

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the weight class you are looking at the Diamana M+ (40-50 in the Epic painted "Greenboard" or 60 in the Fusion, and normally coloured "Redboard") would a great option. The Fuji Pro is also a great stock option for mid-higher launch, but it does come at issue with a reduced spin profile...same with the T800, pretty decent mid-high shaft, but low spin for many. In all seriousness, Callaway offers all of their "stock" shafts free in any driver. I would try the standard XR16 shaft (red Speeder 565) in that head, that just might be the hidden gem you are looking for. It's definitely high launch, but still maintains a mid-spin profile and it feels fantastic in my opinion.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Graphite Design AD DI 6 would absolutely be my top suggestion.

Not sure on your swing speed, but typically anything above 105 is an X Flex

Anything over 110 is a TX Flex

Below 105 down to roughly 95 is stiff

Great feeling shaft. loads nicely, releases smoothly. They can be had for $150-$200 on the Buy/sell/trade.

IMO a much better option than the stock offerings - based on what you're looking for.

Great feeling shaft. loads nicely, releases smoothly. They can be had for $150-$200 on the Buy/sell/trade.

IMO a much better option than the stock offerings - based on what you're looking for.

I feel like the DI is a pretty low spinning shaft for a lot of guys. In my own experience it hits just knuckleballs with no spin, as I had one in a fairway wood and found I couldn't do anything with it but hit these low screamers that ran out a billion yards with no carry. Most of the guys that this shaft works well for are typically those with very positive angle of attacks that are quite usually high launch and high spin players. If you take a look at the Titleist shaft chart it shows it to be a mid-low, and mid-low spin.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1188684

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I feel like the DI is a pretty low spinning shaft for a lot of guys. In my own experience it hits just knuckleballs with no spin, as I had one in a fairway wood and found I couldn't do anything with it but hit these low screamers that ran out a billion yards with no carry. Most of the guys that this shaft works well for are typically those with very positive angle of attacks that are quite usually high launch and high spin players. If you take a look at the Titleist shaft chart it shows it to be a mid-low, and mid-low spin.

http://www.golfwrx.c...tach_id=1188684

Funny you quote that Titleist chart, because the Taylormade one has it as the highest launch, lowest spin 60 gram shaft available (see #22). It's funny how much contradicting information can be found anywhere you look :)

http://taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-tmag-custom-catalog-us/default/v1479115426247/pdf/Custom_Shafts.pdf

I've always found the DI to be a higher launch, mid-spin shaft. High launch + low spin, although advertised abundantly, isn't really possible.

Of course everyone has different experiences with shafts, heads, etc.

I really liked the Oban Kiyoshi HB and Tensei Pro Blue when I hit them during a fitting. Since we're talking $300 shafts, I'll throw in the Diamana BF, too, although I have not hit it.

Do you already have the SZ? With the weight back, it launches pretty easy, but I have a positive AoA.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

I thought the ad di was a low/mid launch, low spin shaft.

According to prochoicegolfshafts.com which claims to be an exclusive distributor for Graphite Design says this about the Tour Ad DI shaft: "Designed to promote Mid/High to High launch angles with Low to Low/Mid ball spin rates."

I prefer the Oban Purple or the Kiyoshi HB myself. Matrix White Tie is good too.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

left-handed swing

Prefer the flatter lie angle and square face (to keep away from draw bias) and would prefer to use the shaft to achieve higher launch than dial up the loft on optifit hosel

much appreciated

I'm a lefty also & was bummed when I saw that the Epic Sub Zero was only available in 9.0 degrees. I guess you can adjust it up to 11 but would have liked it better starting at 10.5. If they were to offer just 1 loft I think they should have taken a left handed golfer poll & my guess is the vote would have been 10.5.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

The epic SZ is an interesting head. It's very low spin, but for some odd reason, it's not as low launch as you'd expect it to be. I've found it get's up in the air easier than a lot of other heads I have tried, and I've tried it with multiple shafts and have gotten the same affect.

I know there's a lot of contradictory information on high launch, low spin shafts, but I've found some of the higher end ones do seem to deliver a better result with that scenario. Oban purple and AD MJ are two shafts that I thought did a good job, and they're on the higher end of the high launch, low spin spectrum in the aspect of what they claim to deliver, which I found they did deliver, to whatever extent possible. That being said, these ultra active shafts are a blast to hit, but I've found it difficult to keep them consistent in terms of dispersion. Too much timing involved for me, and my swing. At least at the time I gamed them.

The DI is mid-mid imo. The MJ launched higher by a decent amount, but only spun marginally more, for me. The AD-BB is one of my favorite shafts as well. I didn't hit knuckle balls with it, but it produced a nice mid flight, flat trajectory, with low spin. The Oban devotion produced similar affects, just slightly higher launch, and the Devo might be a great choice for you, OP, and I found that to also be a very close comparison to the Speeder 757x (non evo).

Overall, I'd give the Obans and AD-XX shafts a run. Those two companies deliver some of the best results I've experienced from retail shafts, and are right up there with some of the prototypes as well.

I'm a lefty also & was bummed when I saw that the Epic Sub Zero was only available in 9.0 degrees. I guess you can adjust it up to 11 but would have liked it better starting at 10.5. If they were to offer just 1 loft I think they should have taken a left handed golfer poll & my guess is the vote would have been 10.5.

Agreed (See avatar).

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I don't think there's a shaft that is going to negate the SZ head for more spin but I could be wrong. Loft and the head will make more impact.

I don't think the regular Epic is at all left biased plus you can adjust the perimeter weight to fade.

You identify as a low spin player. Not sure exactly what that means specifically but unless you're swinging at 108+ with ideal launch you need some spin 2400-2800 to keep the ball in the air long enough to maximize carry distance.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Diamana red.

Agreed.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

left-handed swing

much appreciated

Fuji Motore Speeder VC either 6.0 or 7.0 depending on your weight preference should do nicely.

Red Diamana, Fusion Recoil, Green HZDRUS ( You should be able to find them in Callaway fitting cart to demo) and Oban Purple.

Oldie but goodie...

titleist_shaft_chart.png?zoom=2&resize=678%2C381

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

A ton of excellent choices and great information

thank you Gents

any views on Hzrdus Red?

AD-DI was for sure one i have been thinking should be in the mix

thanks of the other suggestions

swing speed is around 105, so i don't need a shaft spin killer or the ball dies in the air

thanks

HZDRUS Green and Red are eerily similar..

protos F4

thank you Gents

any views on Hzrdus Red?

swing speed is around 105, so i don't need a shaft spin killer or the ball dies in the air

thanks

Very interested in that comment on how similar

can you elaborate?

t1100 we are talking or the t800 (made for shaft)

thanks

very intrigued by these 2 shafts

feared the t1100 was 'rebar' though...

thank you Gents

any views on Hzrdus Red?

thanks

can you elaborate?

thanks

Per True temper... same fibers used in T1100 are used in the T800 just dialed down (40ish to whatever the T1100 is) Also, built on the same chassis as the Red (Med launch/spin) Also, the T1100 is counter balance and so is the Green.

Im pushing 102-106 mph and the 50 fits me great. If i was worried then I can go the 65 Green but so far no complaints. Others have been experiencing the same thing. The shaft just works.

Head up to your local golf store or golf course with a Callaway fitting cart and try one for yourself...

protos F4

thank you Gents

any views on Hzrdus Red?

thanks

can you elaborate?

thanks

Per True temper... same fibers used in T1100 are used in the T800 just dialed down (40ish to whatever the T1100 is) Also, built on the same chassis as the Red (Med launch/spin) Also, the T1100 is counter balance and so is the Green.

Im pushing 102-106 mph and the 50 fits me great. If i was worried then I can go the 65 Green but so far no complaints. Others have been experiencing the same thing. The shaft just works.

Head up to your local golf store or golf course with a Callaway fitting cart and try one for yourself...

thanks and I will try it

but I do worry about the anti-left properties of the t800 vs the t1100

that would be my only real concern

any views there?

Do you already have the head? I just got the Rogue max and it feels really good. I am sort of the same type low launch due to late release and AoA. Its a stock shaft.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

thank you Gents

any views on Hzrdus Red?

thanks

can you elaborate?

thanks

thanks and I will try it

but I do worry about the anti-left properties of the t800 vs the t1100

that would be my only real concern

any views there?

No shaft will save a bad swing...

However, the combo of the sz head and the shaft has been a winning combo for me. I would look at the 65 if you are worried about being able to over work it.

protos F4

The epic SZ is an interesting head. It's very low spin, but for some odd reason, it's not as low launch as you'd expect it to be. I've found it get's up in the air easier than a lot of other heads I have tried, and I've tried it with multiple shafts and have gotten the same affect.

I know there's a lot of contradictory information on high launch, low spin shafts, but I've found some of the higher end ones do seem to deliver a better result with that scenario. Oban purple and AD MJ are two shafts that I thought did a good job, and they're on the higher end of the high launch, low spin spectrum in the aspect of what they claim to deliver, which I found they did deliver, to whatever extent possible. That being said, these ultra active shafts are a blast to hit, but I've found it difficult to keep them consistent in terms of dispersion. Too much timing involved for me, and my swing. At least at the time I gamed them.

The DI is mid-mid imo. The MJ launched higher by a decent amount, but only spun marginally more, for me. The AD-BB is one of my favorite shafts as well. I didn't hit knuckle balls with it, but it produced a nice mid flight, flat trajectory, with low spin. The Oban devotion produced similar affects, just slightly higher launch, and the Devo might be a great choice for you, OP, and I found that to also be a very close comparison to the Speeder 757x (non evo).

Overall, I'd give the Obans and AD-XX shafts a run. Those two companies deliver some of the best results I've experienced from retail shafts, and are right up there with some of the prototypes as well.

Agree on the MJ. I'm loving the MJ in the SZ head. I'm seeing a nice mid high flight with what looks to be optimal spin. It pairs well in the SZ, at least for me.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

The stock Fujikura Pro Green 62 gave me the best combination of high launch and low spin. I was surprised it performed better on course than any of the other no upcharge shafts I tried. Stable but not harsh, you can feel the flex when you go after it but it performs...at least for me. The stock T800 was solid too.

I tried the Rogue Max 65, Pro Green 62, Pro Green 72, Speeder 665 Evo II TS, Diamana S+ Blue, Whiteboard and ended up with the Fuji Pro Green 62, X flex. I swing 105 + - 3 mph with an average tempo and late release (sometimes flip).