Minnesota golf course with best practice facilities?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on a quest for the same since returning from Texas after 13 years away. Over the last two seasons I've visited perhaps 15 public golf courses looking for a place to work on my all-around game. Sadly, so far the "best" facility, as I define it, is at best just ok. Admittedly, I'm a bit particular, having been a long time member at one of Minnesota's premier private courses.

So much depends on time of year, current turf conditions, whose on mats, ball rotation, prevailing winds, bodies jockeying for position, etc. Each facility tends to play itself out as conditions cycle from acceptable to poor and back again.

Theodore Wirth in Golden Valley has the best and most private putting green IMO.

Braemar in Edina has a new range and has the best combination of turf and balls, that is when they're on turf.

Rush Creek in Maple Grove is the most upscale feeling, along with Edinburgh in Brooklyn Park, but the balls are typically dingy and the turf(s) overly sandy.

Baker National Park in Medina has the only pitching area that I'm aware of.

Hiawatha in Minneapolis has a range that hooks a little with down range tree targets.

Eagle Lake in Maple Grove has a vast, uphill, north facing range with numerous targets, including a satellite dish. And, they have an old school club cleaning machine under the ball shack.

Legends in Prior Lake has a pretty range, but the balls are so-so and the turf is sandy. The chipping area is descent and the front putting green is adequate.

To give you an idea of where I've been in the last year, in addition to the above...

Links of Northfork

Fox Hollow

Keller

Brookview

Bunker Hills

Glenn Lake

U of M Les Bolstad

Meadowbrook (closed), but used the putting green

Victory Links

And...the search continues, albeit in vain.

I've been on a quest for the same since returning from Texas after 13 years away. Over the last two seasons I've visited perhaps 15 public golf courses looking for a place to work on my all-around game. Sadly, so far the "best" facility, as I define it, is at best just ok. Admittedly, I'm a bit particular, having been a long time member at one of Minnesota's premier private courses.

So much depends on time of year, current turf conditions, whose on mats, ball rotation, prevailing winds, bodies jockeying for position, etc. Each facility tends to play itself out as conditions cycle from acceptable to poor and back again.

Theodore Wirth in Golden Valley has the best and most private putting green IMO.

Braemar in Edina has a new range and has the best combination of turf and balls, that is when they're on turf.

Rush Creek in Maple Grove is the most upscale feeling, along with Edinburgh in Brooklyn Park, but the balls are typically dingy and the turf(s) overly sandy.

Hiawatha in Minneapolis has a range that hooks a little with down range tree targets.

Eagle Lake in Maple Grove has a vast, uphill, north facing range with numerous targets, including a satellite dish. And, they have an old school club cleaning machine under the ball shack.

Legends in Prior Lake has a pretty range, but the balls are so-so and the turf is sandy. The chipping area is descent and the front putting green is adequate.

To give you an idea of where I've been in the last year, in addition to the above...

Links of Northfork

Fox Hollow

Keller

Brookview

Bunker Hills

Glenn Lake

U of M Les Bolstad

Victory Links

That is quite the impressive list and assessment! I've been frequenting bunker and Edinburgh but both have ya hitting off of mats currently and just doesn't have the same feel. I'll have to check out bunker, my game really needs to work on pitches and so forth. I'm gonna have to add Rush creek and legends to the list.

When you're at Theo wirth, is it the putting green right by the clubhouse or is there another one?

If you don't mind me asking, which private course were you a member at?

Links of Northfork

Fox Hollow

Keller

Brookview

Bunker Hills

Glenn Lake

U of M Les Bolstad

Victory Links

That is quite the impressive list and assessment! I've been frequenting bunker and Edinburgh but both have ya hitting off of mats currently and just doesn't have the same feel. I'll have to check out bunker, my game really needs to work on pitches and so forth. I'm gonna have to add Rush creek and legends to the list.

When you're at Theo wirth, is it the putting green right by the clubhouse or is there another one?

I was a member at Minneapolis Golf Club through the 70's, 80's and early 90's. I did most of my full shot practicing on the course, hitting multiple balls during non prime time. They had a great deeply bunkered green for chipping and pitching and a pristine lighted putting green that I spent many twilight hours on.

Theo Wirth only has only the one putting green, and yes, it's left and behind the clubhouse. Typically it's not very busy, especially off prime time, and it's usually smooth and quick. The thing I like best about it is the setting -- quiet on the edge of a tree line, where shade can be found. Chipping there is fun too, albeit you can't stray too far from the green.

I found Bunker Hills to have surprisingly limited flight balls, quite worn, and tough turf conditions.

I considered joining TPC Blaine this year. Their practice facility, as mentioned in another reply, is exceptional. If I'm not mistaken they use only Titleist PRACTICE balls. And, you pay for it.

Links of Northfork

Fox Hollow

Keller

Brookview

Bunker Hills

Glenn Lake

U of M Les Bolstad

Victory Links

I was a member at Minneapolis Golf Club through the 70's, 80's and early 90's. I did most of my full shot practicing on the course, hitting multiple balls during non prime time. They had a great deeply bunkered green for chipping and pitching and a pristine lighted putting green that I spent many twilight hours on.

Theo Wirth only has only the one putting green, and yes, it's left and behind the clubhouse. Typically it's not very busy, especially off prime time, and it's usually smooth and quick. The thing I like best about it is the setting -- quiet on the edge of a tree line, where shade can be found. Chipping there is fun too, albeit you can't stray too far from the green.

I found Bunker Hills to have surprisingly limited flight balls, quite worn, and tough turf conditions.

I considered joining TPC Blaine this year. Their practice facility, as mentioned in another reply, is exceptional. If I'm not mistaken they use only Titleist PRACTICE balls. And, you pay for it.

I considered TPC this year because I heard they had a decent rate for young professionals for which I believe I qualified for. But haven't received the full details of the membership and I'm pretty sure I probably still can't afford it.

Where do you live? West side- checkout Chaska Town Course. Esp short game.

Live in St. Louis park. Work on anoka so I'm on the west side! I'll have to check it out

Where do you live? West side- checkout Chaska Town Course. Esp short game.

Live in St. Louis park. Work on anoka so I'm on the west side! I'll have to check it out

Northfork is right near you, but it's decent at best. Used to be my homecourse.

Very windy all the time out there. Range is slightly odd and has weird turf in areas.

Putting green is decent. (No chipping allowed)

Seperate Chipping green available however. Decent...

Bunker/green for sand practice as well.

Love going out to hit balls and practice on 3 hole loop, but it's typically busy.

Has everything you want, but certain intricacies about it leave it undesirable in my mind.

Number of high schools have it as their practice area so the practice areas are always packed. Good on their ends but I like time to practice as well.

Northfork is right near you, but it's decent at best. Used to be my homecourse.

Very windy all the time out there. Range is slightly odd and has weird turf in areas.

Putting green is decent. (No chipping allowed)

Seperate Chipping green available however. Decent...

Bunker/green for sand practice as well.

Love going out to hit balls and practice on 3 hole loop, but it's typically busy.

Has everything you want, but certain intricacies about it leave it undesirable in my mind.

Number of high schools have it as their practice area so the practice areas are always packed. Good on their ends but I like time to practice as well.

Use to be my home course as well, from '94 to '98; had the house left of 17 green. The entire facility was better then.

+1 for Chaska Town Course. The range is usually in good, firm condition and they've got a great short game area just off to the side. The practice green is usually rolling really nicely as well, but it can be crowded.

Edinburgh is another pretty good one. They've got some decent sized greens to aim at, and then there's a separate short game area as well as a HUGE practice green. The 9th, 18th, and practice green are all connected. I've heard it's the biggest green in the US.

Also, if you're on the east side of town, Stoneridge has a pretty solid range. There's a separate members only side of the range that has a great little contoured green with some bunkers and a chipping area. IMO stoneridge has some of the best greens, at least for a public course, in town.

And just for good measure, there's nothing really to aim at, and there's no real chipping area, but if you want to just practice ball striking, Les Bolstad has one of the tightest ranges I've been at. And it's already off mats, so once this snow melts that we got last night, they should be open!

+1 for Chaska Town Course. The range is usually in good, firm condition and they've got a great short game area just off to the side. The practice green is usually rolling really nicely as well, but it can be crowded.

Edinburgh is another pretty good one. They've got some decent sized greens to aim at, and then there's a separate short game area as well as a HUGE practice green. The 9th, 18th, and practice green are all connected. I've heard it's the biggest green in the US.

Also, if you're on the east side of town, Stoneridge has a pretty solid range. There's a separate members only side of the range that has a great little contoured green with some bunkers and a chipping area. IMO stoneridge has some of the best greens, at least for a public course, in town.

And just for good measure, there's nothing really to aim at, and there's no real chipping area, but if you want to just practice ball striking, Les Bolstad has one of the tightest ranges I've been at. And it's already off mats, so once this snow melts that we got last night, they should be open!

I have to disagree on Edinburgh. Seems 50% of the time I go there, they are making you hit off mats on the range. The range is also fairly short. I hit drivers all the time onto the other side of the range where they give lessons, and they don't like that very much...

Also, with the short game area, they make you buy range balls. They've made me leave before for having my own shagbag of ProV's. Shortly thereafter the pro proceeded to dump out his bag of proVs and start chipping as well....talk about hypocrisy.

It is nice...but to many negatives to get a nod from me.

What course do you all suggest to play in the cities? Also best place to get fitted? pga superstore or totally driven?

[b]Driver: [/b]Taylormade M1 2017 9.5, Project X HZRDUS 6.5
[b]Fairway:[/b] Ping I20 3 wood, Graphite Design ad-di x-flex
[b]Hybrid: [/b] Titleist 915h, Graphite Design ad-di x-flex
[b]Irons: [/b]4-pw Callaway X-forged 2013, kbs c-taper x-flex
[b]Wedges: [/b]52f, 56s, 60m Titleist vokey sm6, kbs c-taper x-flex
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
[b]Ball: [/b]Titleist Pro-V1x

TPC Twin Cities practice facility is the best I've come across. Membership isn't that expensive either, especially for a young professional (under 40y) with a referral. I am a member there and am always happy to bring out guests and would be open to submitting a referral as well. If anyone is interested, feel free to send an IM.

For practice at a public course, I like to frequent Edinburgh as well.

SIM2, Atmos Blue 6x | CB Pro F2, Atmos Blue 8x
P730 3-9, $-Taper 125 - Miura 1957 2-9, $-Taper 125
MG3 46/50/54/58 $-Taper 125/KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini - Cameron CT | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Northfork is still the best practice facility imo! The TPC is great but who can afford that?

Never hit off of mats!

2 sides of the range, high school kids can't use the back of the range.

No body has a 3 hole loop that plays like a course. There is absolutely nothing you can't work on at the 3 hole loop. Sure sometimes the High school is practicing, but their season is almost done. I spent like 3 hours on the loop Saturday and sure I skipped around when it got busy, but they leave after going around. I'll play 3-5 balls all day out there. It's not windy all the time and when it is what better way to work on lowering your ball flight.

They got like a practice palace package for like $150 - $300 for the year.

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 10.5*
PXG 0341 X Proto 15*
PXG 0317 X Proto 19*
PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW
PXG 0311 Forged 50* 54* 58*
PXG Battle Ready Closer 33"

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1x (2021) #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

What course do you all suggest to play in the cities? Also best place to get fitted? pga superstore or totally driven?

I didn't like the fitter I had at Totally Driven, he was not open minded at all!

PGASS I had a great Tour Van fitting!

I've heard really good things about 2nd Swing!

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 10.5*
PXG 0341 X Proto 15*
PXG 0317 X Proto 19*
PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1x (2021) #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Depends on how much you're looking to spend and what part of the city you're at. On the west side of town there's Rush Creek, Baker, and Chaska that are all great courses. Down by Prior Lake you've got The Legends, Mystic Lake, and The Wilds. The east side has got Stoneridge, Prestwick, and Eagle Valley, which is a great deal for a fairly well kept course. On the more Northish side of town you've got Loggers Trail, Edinburgh, and if you want to go for a bit of a trek but hit an awesome wooded cheap course, go to The Refuge. The city courses are usually in really rough shape, but I just played Como the other day and was pleasantly surprised. The greens rolled pretty well, and it was some fun target golf on a short course. As for a fitting, I haven't been there, but I hear that The Club Champion is the place to go. And from now until the end of May, their fittings are all half off.

The TPC is great but who can afford that?

If you're under 40 years-old, I'd argue that TPC is one of the best deals in golf in the entire state, especially on the topic of private golf courses. Even over 40, the cost is reasonable for what you get. Being a member there though, I'll admit that I have a bit of a bias.

If you're under 40 years-old, I'd argue that TPC is one of the best deals in golf in the entire state, especially on the topic of private golf courses. Even over 40, the cost is reasonable for what you get. Being a member there though, I'll admit that I have a bit of a bias.

I love the place, I use my works membership quite a bit. I still can't justify what they charge! Plus it doesn't beat pulling the cart out of my garage playing a couple holes on the way to the first tee!

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 10.5*
PXG 0341 X Proto 15*
PXG 0317 X Proto 19*
PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1x (2021) #70

I love the place, I use my works membership quite a bit. I still can't justify what they charge! Plus it doesn't beat pulling the cart out of my garage playing a couple holes on the way to the first tee!

I hear that quite a bit actually. For me, that wasn't an option. I managed to get on the course once before joining and that because a friend invited me to come along using some passes that he managed to get (once in a lifetime sort of thing). If you live right next to another course though, you can't beat that option. I used to live less than a block away from a course when I was growing up, nothing like hopping on for a few holes to get warmed up.

Part of what makes TPC such a great deal for me though, is the topic of this thread, the practice facility. I hit a LOT of balls over the summer and the fact that range balls are included with the membership is a huge advantage to me, one that I have yet to see offered at any other course in my area (including another private course). I don't save enough in range tokens to cover the monthly fees but... there have been months that I've come pretty close.

Some courses actually charge members for range balls?

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 10.5*
PXG 0341 X Proto 15*
PXG 0317 X Proto 19*
PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1x (2021) #70

In my area they all do. The Refuge charges members by the bucket, just like non-members. Forest Hills has an optional "add on" fee for range use. I don't recall the specifics for the other courses that I looked at but, at the time, after all the nickel and dime charges that they were pushing on me, I wasn't that far from just getting a membership at TPC (initiation fee excluded, although this was much lower than expected after getting a referral).

In my area they all do. The Refuge charges members by the bucket, just like non-members. Forest Hills has an optional "add on" fee for range use. I don't recall the specifics for the other courses that I looked at but, at the time, after all the nickel and dime charges that they were pushing on me, I wasn't that far from just getting a membership at TPC (initiation fee excluded, although this was much lower than expected after getting a referral).

I am a member at Forest Hills. Our season long range pass is $180 and is optional if you want to purchase or not. You can buy range by the bucket whenever you want also if you don't utilize the range often. I have not heard of any club in this area either that has range included with membership. Most clubs charge a one time range fee in the beginning of the year that is not optional. Often this fee is included with locker room fee's and other amenities if the club offers them.

I have to ask. Is the range at TPC included every year for all members or is this part of the incentives that they were offering to attract new members for only the first year. I know last fall, they were offering free carts for the 2017 season if joined before Jan 1st.

@ShotSavior - You gave one of the best breakdowns of public ranges I've ever seen.......then you backed up that assessment with the fact that you were comparing them against Minneapolis?!?! Minneapolis has quite possibly the worst range/ practice facility of any course I've ever seen, public or private. Wonderful golf course, one of my favorites in MN, but the practice facility is a joke.

@brycefaze - best practice facility in the state - Hazeltine National and it's not really close. I say this as a member of another private club with a very good practice facility. They have a double-sided range that is 350 yards long from either end (maybe longer), two short game areas with bunkers, fairway lies, and rough, all hitting to an actual green with pins (one on each side of the range), two putting greens that are true to the speed of the course greens, and decent (NXT Tour) range balls. DOWNSIDE: Membership is $42K down and about $550/ month, plus there are yearly locker room fees, range fees, food minimums, assessments, and other expenses.

TPC and Windsong also have very nice practice facilities, but they don't compare to Hazeltine top to bottom.

Public: Chaska Town Course or Edinburgh (if you can hit off of grass).

I hear that quite a bit actually. For me, that wasn't an option. I managed to get on the course once before joining and that because a friend invited me to come along using some passes that he managed to get (once in a lifetime sort of thing). If you live right next to another course though, you can't beat that option. I used to live less than a block away from a course when I was growing up, nothing like hopping on for a few holes to get warmed up.

Part of what makes TPC such a great deal for me though, is the topic of this thread, the practice facility. I hit a LOT of balls over the summer and the fact that range balls are included with the membership is a huge advantage to me, one that I have yet to see offered at any other course in my area (including another private course). I don't save enough in range tokens to cover the monthly fees but... there have been months that I've come pretty close.

Rebby, over at humble little Olympic Hills us members don't pay a range fee at all, we have ProV1 range balls, 3 different practice areas (full range, putting green w/ an additional green for bunker work and chipping, and "wedge world" which has a putting green, 140 yards worth of targets and a bunker for practice)

It doesn't compete with Hazeltine, but it's a great place to practice every shot in the bag.