Padraig Says Sergio Was A Sore Loser...

sheldonjhacker

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'd call him a sore loser but he's definitely had the attitude of "my life sucks" sometimes. The only thing Paddy said that I do agree with is some of his past behavior such as club throwing which is something that I can't stand. Now that said, I have no idea why Padraig said anything at all!

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

I'm not sure I'd call him a sore loser but he's definitely had the attitude of "my life sucks" sometimes. The only thing Paddy said that I do agree with is some of his past behavior such as club throwing which is something that I can't stand. Now that said, I have no idea why Padraig said anything at all!

Probably because he was sore that Sergio won? Lol.

I completely agree with you Jay65. Harrington on Sky after Sergio had won was really something.

I imagine that a good amount of golf fans would realise that Harrington and Garcia haven't gotten on for some time but my fiancee who sat and watched the end of the coverage on Sunday did not and even she remarked that Harrington didn't seem to like Garcia. It seemed that Sergio winning was to Harrington's great displeasure inspite of what he said. Prior to that, knowing about their dislike it was easy to think that Garcia was the root cause and he may well have been but Harrington isn't helping things now.

Also Mark - I think that's pretty harsh on Livingstone. He is definitely the best golf anchor that I have come across. He has always struck me as being knowledgeable and definitely the best of the bunch which is probably why he has been Sky's lead anchor for as long as he has been.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I completely agree with you Jay65. Harrington on Sky after Sergio had won was really something.

I imagine that a good amount of golf fans would realise that Harrington and Garcia haven't gotten on for some time but my fiancee who sat and watched the end of the coverage on Sunday did not and even she remarked that Harrington didn't seem to like Garcia. It seemed that Sergio winning was to Harrington's great displeasure inspite of what he said. Prior to that, knowing about their dislike it was easy to think that Garcia was the root cause and he may well have been but Harrington isn't helping things now.

Also Mark - I think that's pretty harsh on Livingstone. He is definitely the best golf anchor that I have come across. He has always struck me as being knowledgeable and definitely the best of the bunch which is probably why he has been Sky's lead anchor for as long as he has been.

I agree.

I think with most things in life, humans are a funny bunch, but tend to lean, albeit unconsciously with a bent towards people of the same personality as ourselves. It's a natural human trait I guess.

Therefore, if your personality is of the stoic, considered, measured type of personality, then you're going to be drawn to people like Harrington in life, and totally affiliate with that kinda guy.

If you're the real focused, almost aggressively so, type of personality then you're going affiliate with someone like Tiger.

And if you're the raging, ranting, passionate impetuous type of guy then you're going to see things from someone like Sergios personality.

Who is to say that any of these personalities are 'wrong'. They maybe 'wrong' for you, but that's because you fall into one of the other categories I suppose.

But a 'head-case' like me is always going to get on better and like somebody like Sergio than the other 2 types of psyches, but it doesn't make any of them 'wrong'. Just how humans are I suppose. :taunt:

Well if I look in the mirror I am betting that in my younger days I would have been labeled one of these "sore losers" even though I just thought I was hyper competitive.

For the record losing still is not on the top of my priority list of things I like doing but at least I have a little more life perspective to realize it's not that important.

1) People calling it trash journalism, a player's biggest rival and one of the bigger names of the last 10 years in golf calls another player a sore loser, I don't know how you think that's not worth reporting on? You can agree or disagree, but that's newsworthy.

2) Harrington just doesn't like Garcia, I think saying this the day after might be a bit harsh but during the broadcast, did people expect Harrington to be jumping up and down with joy and almost in tears that probably the greatest rival in his career had won? The whole thing was quite awkward really but you can't really blame Harrington for the way he feels.

3) I like both Harrington and Garcia a lot, despite them not liking each other. Was choking up a bit when Garcia won, and I couldn't be happier to see him win a major. But the fact is that Garcia did go through a phase of a few years where he was a nasty player to be around. As Harrington said, throwing shoes, clubs, spitting in holes. He moaned about courses and most things, with probably the biggest 'why always me?' attitude on Tour. That coincided with the time that Harrington was playing with him the most.

It got so bad that Garcia actually took a break from the game in 2010. His relationship break-ups and gutting losses really got to him, I don't judge him for that, it's happened to the best of us. That's life. Think Sergio is a different person now, a much better person to be around, just like he was at the start of his career. But you can't blame Harrington for not liking him when he had deal with a lot of that phase.

I think any semi-serious golf fan shouldn't be too surprised by this. Sergio from 10 years ago is MUCH different than the Sergio that we have been lucky to see the last few years. He's matured considerably and went from the whiny, complaining brat to an aged vet who seemed at peace with the fact he might never have his major triumph.

I think there are a lot of golf fans like me who didn't care too much for Sergio during that era and have grown to root for him and who were thrilled to see him rise to the occasion Sunday and make the shots when it mattered most.

Pretty poor form on Paddy to bring this up now.

Harrington doesn't like Garcia, so why should he have to put on a facade especially when he is probably going to compete against Garcia sometime in the future?!

"We have zero in common, bar the fact that we both play golf. He is the antithesis of me, and I am the antithesis of him." - Harrington on Garcia.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/golf/watch-padraig-harringtons-refusal-thrilled-sergio-garcia-just-another-reason-love-120007

For me the one. and only, negative about Sunday was that the SKY coverage in the UK had Harrington on it.

At every opportunity he sniped and made digs at Sergio that just came over as tiresome and were ill judged.........he should have been - for public consumption at least - far more polite and magnanimous in my view.

Sergio Garcia has become the better player and person in the last 9-10 years.....whereas Padraig Harrington has gone the other way in both respects....

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

"throwing their shoes" ?!

Haven't you seen the video of him taking his shoe off and throwing it after his tee shot?

One of my all time personal favorite blow ups. And if I remember correctly a fan throws it back to him and he puts it back on. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For me the one. and only, negative about Sunday was that the SKY coverage in the UK had Harrington on it.

At every opportunity he sniped and made digs at Sergio that just came over as tiresome and were ill judged.........he should have been - for public consumption at least - far more polite and magnanimous in my view.

Sergio Garcia has become the better player and person in the last 9-10 years.....whereas Padraig Harrington has gone the other way in both respects....

Shame on Padraig. Gentleman's game, eh? Ten years past but he couldn't restrain himself from taking jabs at Sergio. He could've easily deflected but chose not to.

Haven't you seen the video of him taking his shoe off and throwing it after his tee shot?

One of my all time personal favorite blow ups. And if I remember correctly a fan throws it back to him and he puts it back on. Lol.

You see, this is the thing, for some strange reason I find watching someone that natural disposition to be behaving like that to be funny. Maybe because I can see some of it in myself, I don't know. I felt the same way about John McEnroe and Ilie Nastase, because it was just how they were that made it so hilarious.

On the other hand, seeing someone like Harrington throw a wobbly like that could be just as entertaining I suppose. Or maybe that's just my sick sense of humour, I don't know.

Geezus, I hate it when the truth gets in the way of my Tour packaged story of redemption and triumph.

Sure, he spent his career being a bitching and moaning crybaby who threw clubs and shoes, spit in cups and went for the cheap racial insult, but he cried when he won for goodness sake and obviously that negates everything else.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I've always liked Harrington because he was a guy with lesser ability but he worked extremely hard and got the most out of what he had. Whenever he was near the lead on Sunday, he was like a dog on a bone. Tons of fortitude in that guy. Whatever his differences with Sergio, I'm sure that Sergio was more than half to blame. It's good to see Sergio mellow a bit the last couple of years, but he made his bed with his behavior earlier in his career and Padraig seems to have a long memory. Forgive and forget can be difficult when you're the one who was on the receiving end of somebody's boorish behavior.

Geezus, I hate it when the truth gets in the way of my Tour packaged story of redemption and triumph.

Sure, he spent his career being a bitching and moaning crybaby who threw clubs and shoes, spit in cups and went for the cheap racial insult, but he cried when he won for goodness sake and obviously that negates everything else.

seems people love telling it as it is....until they don't.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

First things first is how much of this article is current and how much comes from years ago - it could be pure fiction in that it is combining various comments over the years. Unless, I can see the actual footage of the interview "after" this weekend, I am not foolish enough to accept it as fact, as there are no date references or anything to even say any of this article took place at the same time, after this years Masters. Now I didn't watch Sky coverage so I do not know if this was being said all during the coverage - but if so, then the article should reference that fact.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

First things first is how much of this article is current and how much comes from years ago - it could be pure fiction in that it is combining various comments over the years. Unless, I can see the actual footage of the interview "after" this weekend, I am not foolish enough to accept it as fact, as there are no date references or anything to even say any of this article took place at the same time, after this years Masters. Now I didn't watch Sky coverage so I do not know if this was being said all during the coverage - but if so, then the article should reference that fact.

It was on live national radio in Ireland.

Sergio got extreeeeeemely unlucky in the 2008 PGA battle against Harrington. Twice hits the flagstick with his approach in the final round, with one of them bounding off the green some 60 feet away into deep greenside rough.

I'd be throwing a major bitchfest if I came up short there, too. Garcia outplayed him and IMO deserved to win.

You can have a problem with Padraig saying what he did I guess, or the timing of it at least. But the fact that he did say it, when he said it, doesn't make in inaccurate. I was rooting pretty hard for Sergio this last week so I am not defending Harrington out of some mutual dislike of Sergio. But if everyone, even his long time fans, say things like "he's matured" and he's "changed so much" well, what are we giving him credit for changing? Isn't it exactly what Paddy is talking about? Being a sore loser? Spoiled brat temper tantrum? his whole "woe is me, the world and unseen mystical forces are conspiring against me"? routine?

As i said, i rooted for him on the weekend and am happy he won. But that doesn't erase his whole past. Some of that stuff just doesn't wash off.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Let it go Padraig-10 years later still greeting each other with "gritted teeth"? I have never been a Sergio fan as he always seemed a petulant child. But he seems to have mellowed a lot in the last 5 years or so.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

A little disappointed Paddy didn't take the high road here, but I guess his new job being analyst lends itself to telling stories of this nature.

Either way it's all probably true.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Tiger is a terrible winner

Couples loves Augusta

Brandel loves his hair

Duval is the sharpest analyst at golf channel

Kuchar smiles even when he's not happy

Water is wet

Paddy tell us something we don't know...

I chuckled at this. Especially the Couples loves Augusta part. It's all true what you wrote.

Btw, nice Avatar :)

When you look at Sergio's "rap sheet", it is bad, on paper at least. In the modern era of golf, I'd say only Daly comes close. Not that any of Sergio's misdeeds were all that egregious or anything, but there sure are a lot of them, at least compared to the other elite golfers of today. IMO "El Nino" is a apt nickname for Sergio.

It was on live national radio in Ireland.

https://soundcloud.c..._medium=twitter

Cool - thanks, I just do not know why I do not trust the media any more :telephone:

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

You see, this is the thing, for some strange reason I find watching someone that natural disposition to be behaving like that to be funny. Maybe because I can see some of it in myself, I don't know. I felt the same way about John McEnroe and Ilie Nastase, because it was just how they were that made it so hilarious.

On the other hand, seeing someone like Harrington throw a wobbly like that could be just as entertaining I suppose. Or maybe that's just my sick sense of humour, I don't know.

agree.. it doesnt put me off for some reason like it does other folks... I like stensons epic blowups too... he can flat destroy a driver ...lol and his story of the computer that didnt cooperate getting " what it deserved" is right up my alley !!!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I loved the term, "sticky wicket" to describe tension in a relationship. I think Padraig is not saying anything that Sergio would dispute. Sergio has changed, age has changed him, his fiance has changed him, being a sore loser has changed him. Kudos to Sergio! And now maybe Padraig can get on with playing better as well!

In my golf pool, I had Justin Rose to win at -9. I lost the whole pool as well as the carryover from the last major thanks to Sergio. But I was certainly happy to see him win with style. Good for golf!