Padraig Says Sergio Was A Sore Loser...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my arms around Padraig being honest, or handling this well.

Honest? Anyone that has been following golf closely for the last 10-12 years knows that PH and SG have had their differences. We might not know the totality of their issues but we know they exist. So why is PH being praised for being honest when it is already well-known? Does he still have an axe to grind? Without a doubt.

Padraig could've made it clear to Sky and Irish National Radio that he didn't want to touch his conflict with Sergio. Granted, he had already been under contract with Sky before Sergio got in contention, but he went all-in with Irish radio post-Masters. Once wasn't enough. He had to keep it alive!

So, while Sergio is taking his victory lap, mainstream sports web-sites are running with the Garcia/Harrington feud.

I could've done without it.

Imo, Harrington might've won the battle but he's lost the war.

It's not exactly news that Garcia has had his moments of immaturity. I am sure if he was asked that in an interview now he would say that he was a sore loser on occasions, or handled poor shots terribly.

I know this because he already has admitted this. I've always been a Sergio fan, and he's far from perfect in the public eye. But i also can't recall another pro athlete who was so open in admitting when he was wrong, how flawed he feels sometimes as a player, how hurt he's been as a person (honestly when's the last time a pro athlete said that being depressed over a breakup affected his play? How many people would admit that?)

Sergio to me (more than other guys who claim to be "straight shooters") has always been the "realest" pro athlete i've seen. Because i know plenty of sore losers (cmon, we all do) or people who think that everyone is out to get them at work, or think they are so unfortunate to not have gotten that promotion or blah blah blah. Not all of these guys who have moments of weakness are bad guys....most people go through these feelings.

So i don't know what to make of Harrington....he's not wrong, they don't like each other.....so i guess....OK?

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS3 Hybrid 20 w/ PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Hello Gareth!

Going to disagree with you here as well! Harrington was honest and not over the top. For his first time as an analyst it was awkward but he handled it well. I took the impression that he has forgiven but not forgotten and at the weekend he was certainly not allowed to forget.

Garcia was unlucky in the past BUT he handled it atrociously and Harrington was in some ways at the sharp end, i.e. 'Harrington was lucky'. I would not forget that or be happy with that but even though they do not get on the hatchet is buried.

However the big thing for me is that I though Harrington was fair on Saturday and Sunday while being honest. Much rather have Harrington than Monty. Compared to some of Johnny Miller's talking down players Harrington sounded like a Garcia fan-boy at times. Yes Garcia has matured but has he ever apologised for disparaging Harrington's achievements? Not as far as I am aware. Harrington gave Garcia praise, even if it was through gritted teeth.

In the end, isn't that why we want former players in the booth, so they can give us personal insights into the players on the course through their lense? If we want lifeless robot without personalities replace the commentators with computers ... or Notah Begay.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

So Padraig was being honest? Bringing up something that happened so long ago? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Obviously Garcia has made some changes, seems to be looking at life, and golf a bit differently. Did he say/do some stuff he regrets?Probably.

A little disappointed Paddy didn't take the high road here, but I guess his new job being analyst lends itself to telling stories of this nature.

Either way it's all probably true.

He is a "journalist" now. There is no high road. Today, people become members of the media because they failed as used car salesmen.

Sean 2 - I have to disagree with your post. There's a lot of debate back and forth at home about the rights and wrongs of what Harrington said and I find myself not defending him. I do disagree with the timing of the comments - but it's because we live in a world full of fast food and crap journalism.

One thing is for certain however - he was asked, he didn't as you put it, bring it up. I haven't seen, or read any transcript where Harrington just started waxing lyrical about Sergio with no prompting.

However in my opinion - for a man who has chastised Sergio because "he's really big on Etiquette" - well I think Paddy is probably laying 7 off the tee now with the timing of things and his admissions. That said, we are well aware that Paddy is pretty square. There were probably 3 ways to go:

Tell the truth

Say - its not the time to talk about any of that

Lie

I'd probably have gone for option 2 myself - but you can't legislate for a Dubliner! :no2:

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my arms around Padraig being honest, or handling this well.

Honest? Anyone that has been following golf closely for the last 10-12 years knows that PH and SG have had their differences. We might not know the totality of their issues but we know they exist. So why is PH being praised for being honest when it is already well-known? Does he still have an axe to grind? Without a doubt.

Padraig could've made it clear to Sky and Irish National Radio that he didn't want to touch his conflict with Sergio. Granted, he had already been under contract with Sky before Sergio got in contention, but he went all-in with Irish radio post-Masters. Once wasn't enough. He had to keep it alive!

So, while Sergio is taking his victory lap, mainstream sports web-sites are running with the Garcia/Harrington feud.

I'm not so sure about that. 3 majors > 1 major.

I bet Sergio sees it that way. At least for now. Who knows what the next few years holds for him. Sky is the limit.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

It's not exactly news that Garcia has had his moments of immaturity. I am sure if he was asked that in an interview now he would say that he was a sore loser on occasions, or handled poor shots terribly.

I know this because he already has admitted this. I've always been a Sergio fan, and he's far from perfect in the public eye. But i also can't recall another pro athlete who was so open in admitting when he was wrong, how flawed he feels sometimes as a player, how hurt he's been as a person (honestly when's the last time a pro athlete said that being depressed over a breakup affected his play? How many people would admit that?)

Sergio to me (more than other guys who claim to be "straight shooters") has always been the "realest" pro athlete i've seen. Because i know plenty of sore losers (cmon, we all do) or people who think that everyone is out to get them at work, or think they are so unfortunate to not have gotten that promotion or blah blah blah. Not all of these guys who have moments of weakness are bad guys....most people go through these feelings.

So i don't know what to make of Harrington....he's not wrong, they don't like each other.....so i guess....OK?

It is unfortunate that I can only "like" this comment once.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I'm looking for the the correct english word here. The scandinavian-germanic would be "salongsfähig". Google Translate don't even fix it. Lets call it Business-like. It's like, some people try to fit into a picture of being correct in manners, business-wise, appearing grown-up, knowing the correct thing to say, and say them with great authority. Some people seem to strive for that and some people don't. And people seem to get along just inside those two groups. Paddy seems to fit in Business-like, Sergio not.

You english language natives, what is the correct english word?

Hello Gareth!

Going to disagree with you here as well! Harrington was honest and not over the top. For his first time as an analyst it was awkward but he handled it well. I took the impression that he has forgiven but not forgotten and at the weekend he was certainly not allowed to forget.

Garcia was unlucky in the past BUT he handled it atrociously and Harrington was in some ways at the sharp end, i.e. 'Harrington was lucky'. I would not forget that or be happy with that but even though they do not get on the hatchet is buried.

However the big thing for me is that I though Harrington was fair on Saturday and Sunday while being honest. Much rather have Harrington than Monty. Compared to some of Johnny Miller's talking down players Harrington sounded like a Garcia fan-boy at times. Yes Garcia has matured but has he ever apologised for disparaging Harrington's achievements? Not as far as I am aware. Harrington gave Garcia praise, even if it was through gritted teeth.

Hello stalker...... :pimp:

Its fine to disagree but what specific evidence have you got that Garcia said any of the following that you've attributed him with please?

i.e. 'Harrington was lucky'.

disparaging Harrington's achievements?

I admit Garcia has said the odd off colour remark in the past (about fellow Pro's and negatively against himself too) but don't recall him specifically bad mouthing Harrington and his major achievements as you suggest here. Happy to be proven wrong of course.

Totally agree about Monty and Miller as TV pundits however.

Driver TBC
3 Wood TBC
5 Wood TBC
Hybrid TBC
Ping i210 5-PW irons/True Temper Dynamic Golf S300 120 Stiff

Ping Glide 2 Stealth 50 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

Ping Glide 2 Stealth 54 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2 Stealth 58 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

Evnroll ER5B Hatchback Black 34” putter with Gravity 1.0 grip
Taylormade TP5/Titleist Pro V1 ball

To be honest, they've both behaved like school girls, Sergio in the past, and Harrington over this, and have/are both as bad as each other. They've both disrespected a fellow professional, but at the end of the day, although their immature and unprofessional remarks are distasteful, I don't see it as making either of them bad people, just polar opposites of a personality spectrum which in all walks of life causes friction.

As I said, both as bad as each other, but both still great golfers. And neither bad hombres! :taunt:

both as bad as each other, but both still great golfers. And neither bad hombres! :taunt:

And both are worth an Each Way bet at The Open this year ... Garcia as a form boy with a monkey off his back, and Paddy because he won last time it was at Birkdale :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

To be honest, they've both behaved like school girls, Sergio in the past, and Harrington over this, and have/are both as bad as each other. They've both disrespected a fellow professional, but at the end of the day, although their immature and unprofessional remarks are distasteful, I don't see it as making either of them bad people, just polar opposites of a personality spectrum which in all walks of life causes friction.

As I said, both as bad as each other, but both still great golfers. And neither bad hombres! :taunt:

The way things are nowadays, everything people in some kind of limelight do will be all over the world in seconds if it is the least bit un-orthodox. I guess the "rivalries" quite often are blown up by peoples longing for a good fight. And the top golfers have to mix with each in all kind of situations all over the world, I guess, so of two different personalities is bound to grind on each other. The only thing those guys have in common in good golf and a lot of dolores. And again, a good rivalry is not bad PR.

I entirely agree. Maybe we should less inclined to blame the media then, in these instances, and be more critical of the brain dead that want to see these types of stories in the first place?

If the public have an appetite for this morose drivel, then the media will give them what they want, and only when the public start to switch off to this kind of stuff will the media realise that they have no need or demand to seek 'angles'. Like any commodity being sold, the media and news stories is a matter of supply and demand I'm afraid.

But it is a bit of a storm in a tea cup don't you think?

I bet Sergio sees it that way. At least for now. Who knows what the next few years holds for him. Sky is the limit.

I was referring to the PR battle, not major victories.

I was referring to the PR battle, not major victories.

To me there isn't much of PR battle to be had. They have differences. That's all. I doubt we hear more from either of them on the subject for some time unless someone brings it up to them and asks point blank.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Didn't read all four pages, but I find it a bit tasteless to make such comments directly after a guy's first major win. Firstly, why does he actually have to say anything? Secondly, why now?

I must confess, I hadn't even thought about Paddy and he was completely off my radar for a year or so until he did this. Maybe that was his plan, less likely to create a noise by ever putting a green jacket on again..

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
Mizuno ST 180 5 wood, set to 16*
Srixon H85 20* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-AW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Mizuno S18 58* wedge
Cleveland VP Milled No. 3 putter