2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Padraig Says Sergio Was A Sore Loser...

sheldonjhacker

Sean 2 - I have to disagree with your post. There's a lot of debate back and forth at home about the rights and wrongs of what Harrington said and I find myself not defending him. I do disagree with the timing of the comments - but it's because we live in a world full of fast food and crap journalism.

One thing is for certain however - he was asked, he didn't as you put it, bring it up. I haven't seen, or read any transcript where Harrington just started waxing lyrical about Sergio with no prompting.

However in my opinion - for a man who has chastised Sergio because "he's really big on Etiquette" - well I think Paddy is probably laying 7 off the tee now with the timing of things and his admissions. That said, we are well aware that Paddy is pretty square. There were probably 3 ways to go:

Tell the truth

Say - its not the time to talk about any of that

Lie

I'd probably have gone for option 2 myself - but you can't legislate for a Dubliner! :no2:

I like your option 2 as well. Sometimes the media asks questions hoping to get a controversial response. The "honor" of that profession has long since disappeared.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Paddy.....EFF YOU!

Sounds like sours grapes because Sergio finally wins a major while your career is in tatters.

Only 6 months since Paddy's last win - Portuguese Masters on European Tours (if that counts on this board!). Yes, his career nothing like Garcia's now but I think all bar about 10 current touring professional golfers wouldn't swap Harrington's career for theirs.

Press should ask Sergio to name which European Tour player is most notorious for his slow play...hint: he has three majors

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I like both golfers.

I think Padraig has a little bit of talent envy against Sergio. Golf is natural to Sergio. Look at how well he chips. Its ridiculously good.

I can testify that Padraig is a prodigious practiser. I have stayed at the same bed and breakfast in Carnoustie each of the last 10 years and the landlady recalled when Padraig stayed there when he was an amateur for a big tournament. She said he chose it because its the closest to the practise ground and he was at first light skipping breakfast and home in the dark. Grinding on the range all day.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Hey, Paddy.....EFF YOU!

Sounds like sours grapes because Sergio finally wins a major while your career is in tatters.

Career in tatters, he's 45 years old, not many of his peers still that relevant. He's older than David Duval! And he won last year as well.

Only 6 months since Paddy's last win - Portuguese Masters on European Tours (if that counts on this board!). Yes, his career nothing like Garcia's now but I think all bar about 10 current touring professional golfers wouldn't swap Harrington's career for theirs.

Garcia won the European Amateur at 16, British Amateur at 18, Irish Open and 2nd at a major at 19. When you consider Harrington only turned professional at 24, fair to say who has got more out of his lot.

I thought Harrington was a ****** for airing his dislike of Sergio publicly back when he first did. If you beat a guy in two majors you really shouldn't then kick him when he's down.

That said I thought Harrington did really well in the Sky studio. His analysis was spot on and given how hard everyone else was pulling for Sergio he provided a good counterpoint. Looking forward to his punditry in future and hopefully he gets to comment on lots more big Sergio wins!

Sergio has said and done a lot of stupid things in the past but the opposite is also true. I remember a few years he was showing Charl Schwartzel how to hit plugged bunker shots just before a big tournament they were both playing in. That kind of generosity might explain why Sergio is actually very popular among his peers and why there was so much goodwill towards him this week from inside and outside the ropes.

The Rules of Fight Club.

FightClub.jpg

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a fight.

5th RULE: One fight at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.

Are we getting to a point where a person can't express their true opinion.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Heres my take.

Padraig has had to claw and fight his way through the ranks to get where he is. He hated his amateur career because he felt like he never got the respect he deserved when he beat ranked amateurs left and right. Was mocked for his homemade swing and working class game. Clawed his way onto the european tour, up the OWGR rankings and culminated with him winning 3 majors. The thing that rubbed him the wrong way about Sergio was at carnoustie when he collapsed coming down the stretch and then beat him in the playoff instead of sergio giving him credit he felt gutted and vented how he felt like the golf gods were against him and luck played a huge part in his loss( it did). Padraig could have let that go and thought to himself the kids mad and I shouldnt take it personally but thats not who he is. The next year when they went toe to toe at the pga, Sergio was a graceful loser and gave Padraig all the credit in the world for making gutsy putt after gutsy putt and stating flat out he deserved to win. Even gave him an approving nod when he made that putt that slammed the door on him on the 18th after butchering that hole. Padraig should have dropped his vendetta then and there but here we are. He is certainly entitled to his opinion however when you're doing TV and you say that you look like an A-hole whos holding an imaginary grudge. As a future Ryder cup captain i dont think its good form to attack a player youll be captaining but thats just me

Tiger is a terrible winner

Couples loves Augusta

Brandel loves his hair

Duval is the sharpest analyst at golf channel

Kuchar smiles even when he's not happy

Water is wet

Paddy tell us something we don't know...

His cousin is loser and former NFL QB Joey Harrington. Remember that Lions fans?

To Oregon Ducks fans Joey is a legend and he runs a great charity golf event at Bandon, Sorry Lions fans, at least you got Stafford now.

Sergio was always a complete tool. Over the years he mellowed a bit and lost out on so many majors that casual golf fans started to feel sorry for him. That coupled with the usual adulation that talent like his attracts made him an incredibly "popular" winner by the time the 2017 Masters rolled around. Doesn't change the fact that he is a douchebag.

Frustration played a big role in his career, had he won that 1999 PGA we would probably have witnessed a great rivalry between him and Tiger. Anyway, I bet winning that Green Jacket feels even more sweet after this troubled journey. Pitty Tiger is nearly retired so we won't see any duel from now on.

I'm looking for the the correct english word here. The scandinavian-germanic would be "salongsfähig". Google Translate don't even fix it. Lets call it Business-like. It's like, some people try to fit into a picture of being correct in manners, business-wise, appearing grown-up, knowing the correct thing to say, and say them with great authority. Some people seem to strive for that and some people don't. And people seem to get along just inside those two groups. Paddy seems to fit in Business-like, Sergio not.

You english language natives, what is the correct english word?

Salonfähig ist best translated into " acceptable in polite society"

I'm looking for the the correct english word here. The scandinavian-germanic would be "salongsfähig". Google Translate don't even fix it. Lets call it Business-like. It's like, some people try to fit into a picture of being correct in manners, business-wise, appearing grown-up, knowing the correct thing to say, and say them with great authority. Some people seem to strive for that and some people don't. And people seem to get along just inside those two groups. Paddy seems to fit in Business-like, Sergio not.

Politically correct?

Frustration played a big role in his career, had he won that 1999 PGA we would probably have witnessed a great rivalry between him and Tiger. Anyway, I bet winning that Green Jacket feels even more sweet after this troubled journey. Pitty Tiger is nearly retired so we won't see any duel from now on.

I for one am glad Sergio won. Yes it is hard for him because out of the gate the expectations were so high for him and yet he did not come thru when it came to majors. That being said, Im betting he heard a lot of the murmuring from fans and even amongst his peers that he doesn't have what it takes to break thru. But he didn't fold up camp. For me he had the game but not the attitude to close the major. I believe Sergio just broke down a wall that might lead to the trifecta. What Padraig said works in Sergio's favor. The flame has been lit and Sergio will feed off of negativity as fuel. Sergio has developed tough skin in his career so Padraig's comments come at a great time. Padraig showed his true feelings and that is all we can ask for in an interview. Keep in mind though that Jack Nicklaus is the greatest of all time and Tiger's self inflicted injuries will keep him in second place in my opinion. Golf is about longevity and riding waves.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Couples loves Augusta

Brandel loves his hair

Water is wet

His cousin is loser and former NFL QB Joey Harrington. Remember that Lions fans?

To Oregon Ducks fans Joey is a legend and he runs a great charity golf event at Bandon, Sorry Lions fans, at least you got Stafford now.

Good for Oregon, he sucked in the NFL. Tom Brady is a generous man as well, so I judge players on the field. Harrington was one of many crap QBs in Lions lore. And Stafford...he sucks.

Politically correct?

Not necessarily. Politically correct is to "salonfähig" what a snap hook is to a gentle push draw.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

A little off topic, but I just read about Paddys injury. I am sympathetic because I have the same injury, except mine has weakened my left arm instead of my right. I've been dealing with it for a year and a half with no end in sight. I hope his surgery corrects things for him. The odds are long according to my doctor, but he should be able to play golf with it. I still can, but the strength will probably never come back.

Heres my take.

Padraig has had to claw and fight his way through the ranks to get where he is. He hated his amateur career because he felt like he never got the respect he deserved when he beat ranked amateurs left and right. Was mocked for his homemade swing and working class game. Clawed his way onto the european tour, up the OWGR rankings and culminated with him winning 3 majors. The thing that rubbed him the wrong way about Sergio was at carnoustie when he collapsed coming down the stretch and then beat him in the playoff instead of sergio giving him credit he felt gutted and vented how he felt like the golf gods were against him and luck played a huge part in his loss( it did). Padraig could have let that go and thought to himself the kids mad and I shouldnt take it personally but thats not who he is. The next year when they went toe to toe at the pga, Sergio was a graceful loser and gave Padraig all the credit in the world for making gutsy putt after gutsy putt and stating flat out he deserved to win. Even gave him an approving nod when he made that putt that slammed the door on him on the 18th after butchering that hole. Padraig should have dropped his vendetta then and there but here we are. He is certainly entitled to his opinion however when you're doing TV and you say that you look like an A-hole whos holding an imaginary grudge. As a future Ryder cup captain i dont think its good form to attack a player youll be captaining but thats just me

I always believe there is a little more to it. Harrington has mentioned about Garcia's poor etiquette on and off the golf course which he found disrespectful to the game, players and fan.

Harrington has always held himself well on and off the course, thus he has found it tough to respect a player who has kicked his shoe, thrown clubs and even spat in a golf hole.

But credit to Garcia who I feel has a matured a lot the last couple of years and has learnt to accept the bad breaks on the golf course.

I hope one day we will see another Harrington-Garcia battle. Both of them on the Ryder Cup team will benefit Europe so much.

Couples loves Augusta

Brandel loves his hair

Water is wet

Good for Oregon, he sucked in the NFL. Tom Brady is a generous man as well, so I judge players on the field. Harrington was one of many crap QBs in Lions lore. And Stafford...he sucks.

Measured against Tom, pretty much everybody sucks lol.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Lol! :haha:

2009 Masters.

http://youtu.be/b83WAQsZkWQ

I almost posted that the other day. Funny stuff man :cheesy:

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag