2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Classiest, most liked guy on tour?

frank700

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

likely be someone who has underachieved...makes a ton of money...and smiles all day to the bank.

I'd like this 100 times if I could.. haha. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Pay me $5M a year to do well enough to get my card and exemptions, make a few cuts, live ultra comfortably, and play golf for a living, and you'd all love the hell outta me! lol It's the guys that take themselves too seriously that become the ones people like less.

Essentially, as you described, the guy that smiles a lot and goes WEEEEEEEEE all day and nobody can figure out why he's happy about T35th. He gets a 6 figure check, hops on the plane a few hrs earlier, keeps his endorsements, goes along to the next lavish location, and goes WEEEEE again.

The funny thing though, is that these are the guys that seem to appreciate this life the most. Some of the best players seem to be the most unhappy, as the game has taken over their happiness, and they drive angry to the course in their ferrari, and drive home angry in their ferrari, and park it next to their other Ferrari, angry that they aren't playing better.

Charlie (dancing bear) Hoffman, I had the opportunity to sit in he's company and talk for a while. Charlie has an expansive knowledge of the world and is one hell of an interesting person.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Joking aside, I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned MA Jimenez or Angel Cabrera yet.

Being a golf nut and having spent most of my adult life in the UAE I've bumped into many a tour player. MAJ, GMac, David Howell, Rory, Kjeldsen, Chris Wood, Richard Green, Stenson, Monty, Paul Lawrie etc etc. I can say one thing for sure. They are all extremely gracious, friendly and down to earth people. They appreciate nothing more than an acknowledgment and maybe a quick 30 second chinwag about nothing whatsoever. But it is very important to not overstay your welcome. Say hi, talk crap for a short while, wish him the best and move on.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

Joking aside, I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned MA Jimenez or Angel Cabrera yet.

Being a golf nut and having spent most of my adult life in the UAE I've bumped into many a tour player. MAJ, GMac, David Howell, Rory, Kjeldsen, Chris Wood, David Green, Stenson, Monty, Paul Lawrie etc etc. I can say one thing for sure. They are all extremely gracious, friendly and down to earth people. They appreciate nothing more than an acknowledgment and maybe a quick 30 second chinwag about nothing whatsoever. But it is very important to not overstay your welcome. Say hi, talk crap for a short while, wish him the best and move on.

Paul Lawrie is a great guy, he doesn't take any nonsense and I can't imagine that he suffers fools very easily but to have a quick chat with he is very good. I have seen him like that at events where he is playing or spectating and I have seen him that way at his Golf Centre in Aberdeen. I do cringe sometimes at his responses on Twitter but I think that is more to do with the fact that he was an adult before the advent of social media.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Jesus Christ you can't go 20 minutes on a golf broadcast without hearing he world "class" or some variation thereof.

"Pure class", "all class", "classy", "classiest", "class-tastic", "class-master", "class-Diego", "class-hole", "class-me-ouhtsiiide", "shake that class, girl"...

I'm sick of the damn word. What does it even mean? To the OPs point though, Rose seems like a good dude. But I don't know him personally and it's tough to ascertain how "classy" someone is based off a handshake or pat on the back. What's the alternative? Kicking Sergio in the balls?

When I was playing, Nick Price was the nicest great player. He was just a good guy, great to play with, and when he was number one, it was impressive.

I will surprise a few people, by Norman was very nice to me as well. I played in Australia a bit, and really liked it, so maybe that's why, but he was very good to me.

Curtis Strange reached out to help me out as a second year player, and I never forgot that. I didn't spend much time with him, but he was very good to me as well, even when he transitioned more to tv.

Most of the guys were fine, like anything else, personalities clash, but for very,very good players, the guys above were good to me, and as a nobody, those were nice moments

When I was playing, Nick Price was the nicest great player. He was just a good guy, great to play with, and when he was number one, it was impressive.

I will surprise a few people, by Norman was very nice to me as well. I played in Australia a bit, and really liked it, so maybe that's why, but he was very good to me.

Curtis Strange reached out to help me out as a second year player, and I never forgot that. I didn't spend much time with him, but he was very good to me as well, even when he transitioned more to tv.

Most of the guys were fine, like anything else, personalities clash, but for very,very good players, the guys above were good to me, and as a nobody, those were nice moments

It must be a Zimbo thing. I am yet to meet a person from Zim who's a muppet.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

Here is that Golf Digest article. I believe they were ranked tournament volunteers and employees etc. etc.

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/top-30-good-guys-on-tour#5

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Here's a link to the golf digest article about best like pros among their peers: http://www.golfdiges...-guys-on-tour#1

Stricker is an easy pick. Always a super friendly guy. My sister in law met him at the Masters this passed week and said he was awesome. Kuch also gave her a Masters bag. Another classy dude.

She also watched DJ's french bulldog for him and Paulina for a little while on Tuesday I think. I may or may not have given her a hard time saying it was her fault he busted his a** coming down those stairs lol.

I think it says alot about Rory that he's so high up the list. I'm a bit biased there as he's probably my favorite player though. Gmac is another one that I've always thought was super classy.

edit: spelling

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Here is that Golf Digest article. I believe they were ranked tournament volunteers and employees etc. etc.

http://www.golfdiges...-guys-on-tour#5

haha beat me to it by seconds. I wrote too much :)

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Ball- ProV1X

I think its gotta be Strick. To me he has one of the most envious careers of anybody. 12 wins, over 100 top 10's, made over $40 million. Presidents Cup and Ryder Cup player and captain. Girls streaking across the green for you.

Don't forget the fact that he's a savage too :pimp:

Ball- ProV1X

Not on the PGA Tour but I like Kenny Perry and Steve Flesch

[b][u]Driver:[/u][/b] Ping G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour 60X
[b][u]3 Wood:[/u][/b] Ping G - Ping Tour 80X
[b][u]3-PW:[/u][/b] Mizuno MP-15 - KBS C Taper X
[b][u]GW:[/u][/b] Titleist Vokey SM-5 52.08 F Grind - True Temper S400
[b][u]SW:[/u][/b] Titleist Vokey SM-5 56.10 S Grind - True Temper S400
[b][u]LW:[/u][/b] Titleist Vokey SM-5 60.08 M Grind - True Temper S400
[u][b]Putter:[/b][/u] Ping Anser Redwood

I loved Cabrera trying to walk in on Berger a couple weeks ago as he was taking hours to putt out from 2 feet. He kept stepping up and then stopping with a look on his face. Watching him play when I was a kid at Torrey pines was awesome. He walked up to his hall in the rough, hit his cig one last time, pulled a club and stiffed it and picked up his cig and took another drag and walked away handing his club to his caddy. He didn't mess around. He was super classy in his defeat to Scott as well. I bet his English probably is a barrier to being tips on this list.

I loved Cabrera trying to walk in on Berger a couple weeks ago as he was taking hours to putt out from 2 feet. He kept stepping up and then stopping with a look on his face. Watching him play when I was a kid at Torrey pines was awesome. He walked up to his hall in the rough, hit his cig one last time, pulled a club and stiffed it and picked up his cig and took another drag and walked away handing his club to his caddy. He didn't mess around. He was super classy in his defeat to Scott as well. I bet his English probably is a barrier to being tips on this list.

His English is actually pretty solid. He uses a translator for press conferences "just in case."

Ball- ProV1X

http://www.golfdiges...-guys-on-tour#5

haha beat me to it by seconds. I wrote too much :)

I will get my tin hat judging by responses in another thread but Paddy is on this list and quite high whereas Garcia is not. I like Garcia and loved the fact he won last week (although Rose is my current favourite player) but that history he has plays against him and although he has grown up he needs to show some remorse for past misdemeanors.

- Rosie

- Kaymer

- Fowler

- Kuchar

I don't pick:

- Mickelson (his "always smile" looks a bit fake to me)

Funny that you say that about Mickelson's fake smile, yet have Kuchar on your most classy list. It just irks me the way Kuch wanders around the course smiling like a lobotomy patient.

Plus Kuch gave that bizarre interview where he kept repeating that he would feel better if he could "punch Faldo in the back of the neck". Supposed to be funny, I guess. Weird sense of humor, I say.

At the PGA last year, I was sitting greenside and GMac hit his approach a little short left in the rough right in front of me. He comes up, surveys his shot, he's a bit short-sided, a delicate little shot. He steps up and before settling in he turns to us and asks "What are my odds?". There's 3 young dudes to my left and one says "50%" He says "50%? That's it?". Then he hit a meh chip to about 5ft.

Anyways,

GMac

Weekly

Furyk

Mediate

Goydos