The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

I was the OP for this thread and am glad to see the Fusion getting love. It is very under-rated.

However, I must confess that (inspired by the Rick Shiels driver test) I pulled out my old Great Big Bertha and did another head to head against the Fusion on course and on a launch monitor.

The GBB was somewhat ahead by the numbers and on the course. This might change on another day.

Both suit me better than the Epic.

Proof I think that there is really minimal difference between the latest models.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Tried the fusion with 450 Recoil 44.5" with 5g weight. No go. Hook machine. Went back to my Epic and hit it great. That stated, I'm still waiting for the 12g weight.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Tried the fusion with 450 Recoil 44.5" with 5g weight. No go. Hook machine. Went back to my Epic and hit it great. That stated, I'm still waiting for the 12g weight.

The combo of the Recoil, the 5g sole weight and less overall weignt would cause hooks if you are too strong for it. Recoils play a little soft in woods and I don't think that particular stock shaft is anything close to stout.

Heavier weight and shaft would make a major difference. Try 12g and a whiteboard or similar!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

12g weight has arrived.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The combo of the Recoil, the 5g sole weight and less overall weignt would cause hooks if you are too strong for it. Recoils play a little soft in woods and I don't think that particular stock shaft is anything close to stout.

Heavier weight and shaft would make a major difference. Try 12g and a whiteboard or similar!

Interesting. I had gone to a demo just 3-4 weeks ago and by far hit the Fusion better than Epic and M1. My swing was bad that day and the thought process was that the fusion would be nearly as good as my Epic on good swing days and far better on bad swing days.

Since then I'm drawing everything and hooking the Fusion. 12g weight is here and I can also try my Rogue Max 65 in the Fusion head.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Well, gosh, bought an Epic, and for me, it seems to have more promise than Fusion in yards and dispersion right out of the box.

Of course, your mileage will vary.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

So which club is more draw biased?

Epic or Fusion?

Also, are the heads in stock trim the same weight or is one a little lighter?

For me, the Fusion is a tad lighter, 2-4g & I did not miss left with it at all, yes some did go left but those were bad lazy hip swings.

I have hit the Epic 4 times, with all drawing, granted it was not mine & the shaft was not near my spec so I just stopped trying, but I still preferred the sound & feel of the Fusion.

The thing with the Fusion is that besides the shape, it reminds me so much of the FTiz tour in that it is so forgiving, I can really grip it & rip it without fear, this driver just wants to go straight.

Did you weigh all the heads? 2-4 grams seems like a really small amount of variance. My 2014 BB and G30 are 13 grams apart. Could be you just like the swing weight. Did you weigh each?

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Well, gosh, bought an Epic, and for me, it seems to have more promise than Fusion in yards and dispersion right out of the box.

Even with the super lightweight shaft. Good for you. Glad you found your club.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Fusion blows the Epic away overall by a nice margin

Epic great when you hit it dead center

other than that, Fusion outperforms on distance and dispersion

it's a lay down

unless you are on tour and hit the nut every time and need the extra 10 yards for doing so, the Fusion is a much better club

blows m2 away as well

Fusion blows the Epic away overall by a nice margin

Epic great when you hit it dead center

other than that, Fusion outperforms on distance and dispersion

it's a lay down

unless you are on tour and hit the nut every time and need the extra 10 yards for doing so, the Fusion is a much better club

blows m2 away as well

Welllllllll,,,,,,,,, to be fair. I've told guys I play with that the Fusion is easily the most forgiving and straighest driver I've ever played,

I've had the Epic SZ to demo for 3 days and took it to the range. For the first 2 I had all sorts of trouble hitting low bullets left and high floaters right. Then, halfway through my 3rd day's attempts I finally "lofted up" and started hitting it beautifully high and straight. Much more like it.

Unfortunately this was on a driving range and from observations down range, only seeing roughly where the ball landed (and not at all the rollout) I couldn't discern a noticeable difference between the Epic, the Fusion and even my old Rapture V2.

On THAT basis I would stick to my Fusion every day however, I'm not done with the Epic testing. I'll do it again and next time on the course, by myself, hitting multiple balls off multiple tees and getting more accurate distances.

And the one thing you can't possibly see during this sort of test is spin rate. You can estimate a good flight and launch angle but spin rate is impossible. And since spin rate has a LOT to do with carry AND rollout,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

I hit Fusion a few times the day I received it and yanked it left. I hit Fusion with my first 2 drives during Saturday's round out of bounds left before benching it. The 12g weight was in the mail box when I got home from the round.

Sundays range session and a few swings later and wow, the Fusion goes. I think (don't know for certain) that the best Epic is a little longer (not allot) than Fusion. That stated, the Fusion just seems easier to hit.

I had been hitting the Epic so well that my buddies can't figure out why I am trying the Fusion. That stated, I am hoping the Fusion works fir all days and I avoid that occasional bad driver day with Fusion.

Only time will tell.

I didn't notice the ball flight being higher with 12g weight vs 5g weight but I honestly can't say for certain.

I'd love to try the Recoil 450 44.5" in the Epic if I could get an extra weight.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Even with the super lightweight shaft. Good for you. Glad you found your club.

My swing is changing, and I fittting out with the Diamana M+ 50 Stiff, Oban Isawa 55 Stiff, and also have a MatrixSpeedRulz A Type 50. The first night I used the Grand Bassara at 45g, it performed well with the Epic. Set it up at 10.5, the swing was aligned with the stars and hit 3 balls in a row at 280-290 - nice roll that night. It kind of freaked me out to hit it that long and I kept on checking distance. Usually I am hitting 125-140 on that hole for the second shot, and I was taking out a SW at 85. Woujld love to duplicate it but lessons change the swing every 2 weeks. Hit the Fusion, too, that night, and the dispersion was not tight and closest ball to Epic was about 10-12 yards back. Right now, I am doing after the fact shaft fitting. Options. But I need to find that swing again.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

i tried it out last night. I will probably end up with this driver down the road. It's a little loud but I kind of like it.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 wedges

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Q Star Tour ball

So. As already noted, I pulled the trigger on the fusion after a very strong performance during a demo day. That stated, every round with the Epic is getting better and better. I'm hanging on to the fusion (for now) but the Epic is rockin!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Fantastic driver. The fairway woods are exceptional. Just goes to show that some clubs work for golfers and some simply don't.

You need to fix the "photos" in your signature,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

I was the OP for this thread and am glad to see the Fusion getting love. It is very under-rated.

However, I must confess that (inspired by the Rick Shiels driver test) I pulled out my old Great Big Bertha and did another head to head against the Fusion on course and on a launch monitor.

The GBB was somewhat ahead by the numbers and on the course. This might change on another day.

Both suit me better than the Epic.

Proof I think that there is really minimal difference between the latest models.

Actually, I take it back.

I've put the same shaft in both and the Fusion has increased my driving average (via Arccos) by 10 yards or so.

I've also hit some of my longest drives in a while with it.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

3 wood is spectacular off the carpet and tee

incredibly straight and long

so much more solid, consistent and forgiving and higher launching than the epic, gbb, m2 i have used

this club is a huge under-the-covers Winner big time

discount it at your own loss in my view

I agree with you. I outdrive my regular partners using the 3 wood off the tee many times. Just wants to go high, straight and long. So much so that I primarily use my 5 wood on second shots on par 5's. Nice problem to have.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I've had the driver in the bag for about 2 months now and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. I love the forgiveness and the 44.5 inch stock options with the 12 gram weight. No need to try and cut down the club and try to get the swing weight right. I wish more companies would offer the option for a shorter driver with more head weight. I'm kind of sad it looks like this might have been a one off experiment for Callaway.

so much more solid, consistent and forgiving and higher launching than the epic, gbb, m2 i have used

I agree with you. I outdrive my regular partners using the 3 wood off the tee many times. Just wants to go high, straight and long. So much so that I primarily use my 5 wood on second shots on par 5's. Nice problem to have.

Love a nice fairway wood off the tee. Which shaft you guys gaming in the Fusion 3 wood?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Love a nice fairway wood off the tee. Which shaft you guys gaming in the Fusion 3 wood?

Fuji Speeder Evo 3

I've got the recoil in mine. Great shaft.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Anybody tried muting the head? Performing well but don't love the sound.

I don't find it all that loud. Ping Rapture V2 and especially current Ping drivers are MUCH louder. :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

So which club is more draw biased?

Epic or Fusion?

Also, are the heads in stock trim the same weight or is one a little lighter?

For me, the Fusion is a tad lighter, 2-4g & I did not miss left with it at all, yes some did go left but those were bad lazy hip swings.

I have hit the Epic 4 times, with all drawing, granted it was not mine & the shaft was not near my spec so I just stopped trying, but I still preferred the sound & feel of the Fusion.

The thing with the Fusion is that besides the shape, it reminds me so much of the FTiz tour in that it is so forgiving, I can really grip it & rip it without fear, this driver just wants to go straight.

Did you weigh all the heads? 2-4 grams seems like a really small amount of variance. My 2014 BB and G30 are 13 grams apart. Could be you just like the swing weight. Did you weigh each?

Apologies for the very late reply PSG, yes I know 4 grams seems very small & should not make much of a difference but no matter what head or shaft i try with drivers, I seem to have a magic number where swing weight & overall weight is concerned.

330g & D6 is where I seem to be at my happiest, so when the weight goes down to 226g because of a lighter head, the SW will also go down to D4, sometimes D3 & that feels like a completely different club in my hands.

I like to do what I can and be cosmetically pleasing to keep the head weights within a gram of each other, that way swapping shafts is not such a big deal, so for me the Fusion with the 12g weight & some lead tape around the weight 3g gets me in my ball park with either a Fubuki K 70x , Oban Gold 75x or a WB D+ 70x,

Anyone of these shafts gets my ball speed close to where I need + they are all three super accurate fairway finders.

• 1 month later...

Loving the Fusion. I haven't sold off my Epic yet but the Fusion is a fantastic driver!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*