2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Staying in bag for ALL of 2018 and probably beyond that. Great driver!

This

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Still deciding on what loft and shaft to get because I am typically a high launcher.

...if I choose the 9* and decide to go up in loft, I don't want the face to close so much on an already draw biased driver so I hook a lot.

If I choose the 10.5* and decide to go down in loft, I don't want the face to open and bring my slice back...

I just picked up a 10.5° Fusion Heavy from CPO (it's what Callaway is now calling the 12g / 44.5" shaft model). I'm a low launcher with most clubs, always play 10.5° and can easily miss both ways until I get my groove on. I highly recommend that you stick with the 10.5° and turn it down to 9.5° for a lower launch. The club face sits pretty neutral, but this driver is built draw biased. It's really taken the right side out of the equation for me. I can come over the top and still hit it pretty straight; definitely can't imagine closing the face would be a good idea for anyone. Opening the face 1° will never make it a slice machine, ever.

I game quite a few clubs but the most reliable for staying in play on my worst day is the Fusion

Epic SZ TC 10.5 - love the feel and super long when hit perfectly.

2016 M2 10.5 Tour Issue - almost a perfect driver but sometimes I wish it was a 9 deg, Definitely in my top 3 drivers

Ping g400 LST 10 - Currently my go to driver, its very straight and very long, but I do prefer the feel of wither the SZ or the M2

King Cobra LTD - again this driver is very long and very forgiving, however it is not exceptional in any category. Basically it is like my Ping but more spin

Fusion 9 deg - This driver is the shortest of the bunch but only by 5-10 yards max. However it is also the straightest and most reliable of my drivers, I have 3-4 different swings and the Fusion can handle all of them.

Has anyone messed with heavy stiff shafts 45-46 inch long with the fusion?

I play mine with a HZRDUS yellow 70 gram @ 45.75" and it's crazy good.

Ummmmmm,,,,,, errrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw: :D

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I am looking to get this driver to help me hit more fairways as well. Still deciding on what loft and shaft to get because I am typically a high launcher. Also, if I choose the 9* and decide to go up in loft, I don't want the face to close so much on an already draw biased driver so I hook a lot. If I choose the 10.5* and decide to go down in loft, I don't want the face to open and bring my slice back...

I'm going back and forth between this and a 913 or 915 D2. Trying to figure out which is easier to hit straight and longer.

I am a high launch high spin player. I've tried any number of things to get the spin (especially) down.

I find that loft doesn't make too much of a difference in most cases. The shaft made all the difference to me. The stock Diamana Red that I bought it with, even though it's a higher launching shaft, actually worked pretty well for me but never quite felt "right".

I tried different shafts in a couple of different drivers in a launch monitor to get an idea of how much I could get the spin rate down while maintaining some semblance of control over dispersion; even though the heads might be different.

The clear winner in my case was, to my surprise since I haven't historically gotten along well with Project X shafts, the Project X Hzrdus Black. For me, a total spin killer. Got me down around 2000 RPMs with control. So I took a shot and got the Hzrdus Black for my Fusion and it works great.

Of course the ideal would be to test in the LM the exact shaft and head combination but that's not always an option in many places. PGATSS near me had the HB for a Cobra F7+ but not for Callaway.

I had my club set at +1 (loft) and "D" (draw) and was hitting it very well. Turned it down recently to it's actual loft (9*) and it has lowered the flight just a touch and is even better now.

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a head on eBay to play with. I don’t like to hit up on the ball. I tee it lower than most and get a lower flight or fade that runs a bit even with 10.5 GBB head. Got a 13.5 with 12g weight I’m going to throw a speeder in and see if I get a little more lift while taking the right side out of play. Wish it didn’t have the pin-stripping though.

Surprising yes! Have Fusion driver at a couple of demo days, and I hate it. Feels like I'm hitting the ball with a giant marshmallow on a stick. My XR16 Pro flew 20 to 30 yards longer in side-by-side.

Fusion reminds me of the old Optiforce driver - both are duds in my view. Even Callaway fumbles sometimes.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Apologies if I missed it, but are people having any luck with the 13.5 head? I really like the idea of a high loft driver but 13.5 sounds pretty high. I generally play 10.5. I want to pair the 13.5 with a lower launch shaft. Might stick with 10.5 if people find the 13.5 is launching moon balls.

As I’ve said in a previous post, I don’t own a Fusion but I’ve tested a 9, 10,5 & 13.5

The 9 & 10 worked out the best for me although I found the 9 to be best at +1.

The 13,5 I had to turn down to 12,5 & paired it with one of my low low shafts VC7,2 to get the best from it but I missed left 6 out of 10 swings.

For that reason + 10-10,5 lofts gave better no,s in launch & spin. I think if you have a tendency to push fade the ball & need some loft help, the 13,5 could be the right choice.

It is a solid driver though & was not far behind my XR16-Pro.

Surprising yes! Have Fusion driver at a couple of demo days, and I hate it. Feels like I'm hitting the ball with a giant marshmallow on a stick. My XR16 Pro flew 20 to 30 yards longer in side-by-side.

Fusion reminds me of the old Octane driver - both are duds in my view. Even Callaway fumbles sometimes.

Funny but when I was in Thailand last year I played with a guy who had an XR 16 Pro, I think with a GD Tour AD (not sure it was the AD). Around 15 I was out of the (Stableford) comp so I hit his driver a couple of times. VERY impressive. But I did feel the Pro and my Fusion felt just about the same with the Chrome Soft ball I was playing,,,,,, i.e. very soft off the club face.

However, before I left Thailand I started hitting my Fusion very well, even with the stock Diamana Red that when I got back I tried the HZRDUS Black in it,,,,,,,,,, and it's "da bomb",,,,,,,,,,,,,, so I forgot about trying to find the XR 16 Pro.

That said, you do realize that if you're carrying the XR 16 Pro 20-30 PAST the Fusion, it's simply a matter of fitting, no ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Apologies if I missed it, but are people having any luck with the 13.5 head? I really like the idea of a high loft driver but 13.5 sounds pretty high. I generally play 10.5. I want to pair the 13.5 with a lower launch shaft. Might stick with 10.5 if people find the 13.5 is launching moon balls.

Mine comes in tomorrow. Not sure when I’ll get out with it though.

Mine comes in tomorrow. Not sure when I’ll get out with it though.

Did you get a chance to try it yet? I just picked up a 13.5 with a Diamana red shaft. But it's too cold here to try it out.

I am having a Project X Black 6.5 shaft made up for my Fusion. Playing at 44.5”. Can’t wait to test it out. Love my Fusion, so worst case scenario input recoil back in play. But this driver is firm in the bag again for 2018. Nice to have a driver I am not tempted to replace!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Wow. I picked up a like new Fusion a few months back. Been too cold to hit it. Temps hit 56 here on Saturday so went to the range. Hit mostly wedges but hit five balls with the Fusion, 44.5 inch version with Diamana Red.

Just hammered it and very straight. Felt great, ball really took off. Club shape is easy to aim. Love the shorter shaft. Got this club for little more than $100. Super driver.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Staying in bag for ALL of 2018 and probably beyond that. Great driver!

This

Love the Fusion driver. Despite my previous comment, the Fusion driver is unexpectedly in trouble for 2018. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the TaylorMade/Golfwrx Twist Face Experience.

The TaylorMade fitter commented on just how close and the Fusion was as far as my numbers especially since I purchased on Callaway Pre Owned. That stated, the TaylorMade fitter got me about 3-4 higher ball speed with 800 or so less spin even though I had 2-3 mph less swing speed with the M4.

I firmly believe the lower swing speed was due to having more confidence when hitting my Fusion with the 44.5* shaft vs the 45.5* In the M4. I believe that will change with more time with M4.

My finished M4 matches the playing length of my Fusion so there will be a battle.

I’m not selling the Fusion yet but it has an unexpected challenger for 2018.

Keep in mind that the M4 was professionally fit and the Fusion was not.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

Fusion has the top spot right now, in my bag, on the shelf are a couple brand new g400LST and 2016 M2 tour issue and a Epic SZ 9 TC , I went out and bought 6 drivers in the offseason to try to replace my Fusion, but it looks like it just isn't happening. I had the 10* G400 LST and tried the 8.5 g400 LST and went from 10* Epic to 9* Epic and Epic SZ and tried the Mizuno ST180 and a 9.5 and a 8.5 2016 tour issue M2 and a 2017 8.5 tour issue M2 and the Fusion is still the winner, it hits fairways effortlessly and does not require a big swing. When I say it is about 10 yards shorter, I don't mean average drive, it definitely is the longest average driver ! But when I swing as hard as I can with the M2 or g400 and actually connect perfectly 1/20, those drives will be 10-15 yards longer than the Fusion, but on my normal 80% swings, the Fusion is within 5 yards of every driver I have tried to setup. The Fusion finds more fairways and is way easy to swing, if I had to fall back, my second place would be G400 LST followed closely by 2016 M2

What configuration are you using in your fusion?

Im using a 9deg w/ draw setting

* Just sold my 10* G400 LST, took a bunch of drivers out on the course yesterday. Im sure my brand new Tour 2016 M2 and brand new Ping G400 LST 8.5* are waiting their turn. At this point, its hard to see the Fusion being beaten by anything, its a low spin, dead straight club that is quite forgiving and feels great.

There’s a minty one with a Handcrafted HZRDUS Yellow on the BST.... just sayin’...

There's also one in your signat,,,,,,,,,,,,, errrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,, never mind. :D

Titleist Pro V1X

Hey guys,

Currently I’m playing the XR16 9* and get about 235 mtrs carry out of it!

Im also gaming a Fusion 3 Wood! Which is my absolute fairway finder!!!!

What could I expect from a fusion 9* head? Same carry like XR16 or longer?

Straighter ball flight?!

Pls share your experience, I love the thought of a driver which performs like my 3 wood (plus 20 meters)!

Between I’m Carrying my 3 wood 220-225 meters!

(Only 10 meters difference between current driver and #3 (carry))

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Hey guys,

Currently I'm playing the XR16 9* and get about 235 mtrs carry out of it!

Im also gaming a Fusion 3 Wood! Which is my absolute fairway finder!!!!

What could I expect from a fusion 9* head? Same carry like XR16 or longer?

Straighter ball flight?!

Pls share your experience, I love the thought of a driver which performs like my 3 wood (plus 20 meters)!

Between I'm Carrying my 3 wood 220-225 meters!

(Only 10 meters difference between current driver and #3 (carry))

Forgiveness is the reason for the Fusion. BUT, the XR16 is in (roughly) the same range of forgiving drivers (I'm assuming you didn't mean the XR16 Pro).

If you're loving the XR16 and hitting it consistently under control, the only thing I would look at is the shaft, especially the spin rate. IF you can improve on the shaft I'd see no reason to change the head.

Titleist Pro V1X