Taylormade 2017 M1 vs M2 Question

My Callaway epic subzero broke and I have to find a replacement driver. I am always looking to lower spin on my driver and today I hit the 2017 M2 at the local sporting goods store. I had a Mitsubishi DC Tini siver in a 10.5 degree head and it seemed like everything went right and started to ballon, spin rates were between 3200 and 4000( guy at the store wondering if the LM was broken). I am thinking of ordering either an M1 or M2 with an aldila NV 2KXV in there as I have hit that shaft before and it feels great.I know putting in a lower launching shaft will help. If I am looking to lower spin which driver would be better the M1 or M2? Would be great if I could purchase an M2 and save $100. Just want to know if one is considered a lower spinning model. Also looking for opinions in general from those that have hit both.

Thank you

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're really looking to lower spin, sounds like one of the smaller TMag heads would be better. I believe the SLDR, R15, and M1 drivers were all offered in something in the 430-440 cc neighborhood. Those are all supposed to be SUPER low spin.

PING G400 LST 10* --- Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60-6.0

PING G400 17.5* FW --- Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70-6.0

PING G410 20* & 23* Hybrids --- Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 120-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 56* & 60* --- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125

TaylorMade 2011 Ghost Spider Center Shaft

The 2017 M2 spun too much for me. I was getting 300-400 more RPMs. I liked the 2016 M2 quite a bit more, but they don't have the custom shaft fitting anymore, obviously. For good low spin performance, I would either:

-suck it up and get the 2017 M1

-By a 2016 M2 and then find your shaft of choice on the BST forum

Note with the spin numbers that it will vary depending on where the weight in the M1 is. For me, neutral was best.

What was your launch angle with those spin #'s?

Maybe a lower lofted head might help with a stiffer flex.

What %'s did you have with the SZ?

Did you have the heavy weight back or front in the Epic head?

There's a few variables that need to be considered before deciding.

IMHO the 2016 M2 is tough to beat.

From what I've seen, the 2017 M2 heads seem pretty light for the longer length drivers-at least with the 2016 M2 you can get heavier weights to shorten the club to 45 or less to gain more feel.

I know longer clubs throw me sporadic #'s coz I'm not comfortable with a longer driver.

PX Black is a good way to lower the spin #'s a bit as is the Rogue in the right flex.

The Tour Green is a great recommendation, as mentioned in a previous post-under used shaft, for sure.

Rox

Cobra F9 9.0°/Evenflow Black 70 6.5<br />917F /Diamana Bkue 70X<br />Cobra Speedzone 19° Hybrid/NV Green 90S<br />Bridgestone 4-PW J15CBs/$-Taper 125s<br />Adams CMB 51° GW/KBS Tour S wedge>SM8 54°
D Grind /KBS Tour S and 60°RTX-4 Black bent time 59°/KBS Tour S<br />Scotty Studio Select<br />Bridgestone R-XS

Backups:
Srixon Z785/Modus 120X
5-PW

I think the M1 is the way to go. It is more low spinning and the added adjustablility lets you dial it in. The forgiveness gap between the two has closed considerably.

I have a hrzdus yellow in my 460 M1 and it has preformed well. I like it more than the 2016 M2 but a lot of that is based on feel.

• Ping G400 Max 9* Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 60
  • Titleist TS2  3W 15* Evenflow T1100 White 75X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4 iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 115x 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Mizuno T20 56C, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

I think the M1 is the way to go. It is more low spinning and the added adjustablility lets you dial it in. The forgiveness gap between the two has closed considerably.

I have a hrzdus yellow in my 460 M1 and it has preformed well. I like it more than the 2016 M2 but a lot of that is based on feel.

Since you mentioned feel ... I thought the 2016 M2 face felt much softer/mushier than the 2016 M1. Does anyone know if the same thing applies to the 2017 models? I've tried both the Epic and 2017 M1 and the face "feels" very hard or solid. Over the years I've gotten used to the Titleist face feel (which is MUCH softer) and the 2016 M2 was closer to that. Just wanted to hear some opinions on the 2017 M series.

Since you mentioned feel ... I thought the 2016 M2 face felt much softer/mushier than the 2016 M1. Does anyone know if the same thing applies to the 2017 models? I've tried both the Epic and 2017 M1 and the face "feels" very hard or solid. Over the years I've gotten used to the Titleist face feel (which is MUCH softer) and the 2016 M2 was closer to that. Just wanted to hear some opinions on the 2017 M series.

I hit both last weekend and preferred the M1 over the M2. For me the M1 face felt better, it's not quite as soft as Titleist but close. I will say it is a different kind of soft though. I cannot compare with the 2016 models. I spent an extensive amount of time with the M1 and never had a bad feeling shot, very consistent feel but you can still tell mis hits without a lot of loss in distance or forgiveness. I was impressed.

TaylorMade M1 9.5° HZRDUSYellow75g 6.5
Cobra King Pro 14.5° LTD HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
Titleist 712U 3i HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5 Hybrid shaft
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 Project X 6.5
Titlest SM6 46º 50º 54º 58º
TaylorMade TP5
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 35"

I 100% agree with this post.

I had a 2016 M2 Speeder 757 Evo that I loved, bought into the Epic SZ hype, then ditched it for a '17 M1 Diamana WB and I am hitting the longest, straightest drives in many years.

By the way, '17 M1 is less fade bias than a '16 M2.

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

• 2 months later...

I just grabbed an M1 440 to put up against my '16 M2. Both with Hzrdus Black. Hoping to get to the range this weekend if weather is decent

You ever test those two head to head? If so what'd you find?

Sold the M2. Love the M1 440. 440cc head looks better to me as well

On the screws M1 is longer

I had to put the weight all the way back in the 9.5 440 head to get the correct launch. M2 I was playing tuned to 8.5 and it still launched higher

I naturally play a 3-5 yard fade when struck well. The M2 for me always went right and kept going right. The M1 seems to be much more neutral and deeper face which I like.

Forgiveness wise on a mishit M2 may be slightly more forgiving distance wise(if you completely miss it) but accuracy wise my big miss is much better with the M1 again because I believe the M1 is not as fade bias.

Anyone have an idea of spin number difference between the m1 and m2?

I was fitted the other day. M1 was 600-700 rpm lower in spin compared to the M2

Taylormade Sim 9* (9.75*) Accra tour Z RPG 472 m5+
Titleist TS3 15* Synergy green proto 80tx

Titleist U500 2 iron Aerotech HLS 980 xstiff
Taylormade p750 4-PW
Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2