Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Golfweek updated their best you can play by state last week. I always enjoy reading the updated rankings to see how many of the courses I have played, and generally don't take the lists too seriously. Best I can tell from their site, Strawberry Creek is still private. Does anyone have intel as to whether they are accepting public golf these days? I've driven by 100+ times and always try to peak over the fescue to look at what seems to be a perfectly manicured course.

1. Whistling Straits (Straits)

2. Sand Valley (Mammoth Dunes)

3. Sand Valley (Sand Valley)

4. Lawsonia (Links)

5. Erin Hills

6. Blackwolf Run (River)

7. Whistling Straits (Irish)

8. Sentry World

9. Troy Burne

10. Blackwolf Run (Meadow Valleys)

11. University Ridge

12. Wild Rock

13. Geneva National (Gary Player)

14. Big Fish

15. *Strawberry Creek GC

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

If there are any locals who live near Lac La Belle, they are offering a great lifetime membership deal. unfortunately don't live near enough to use it but the owner is offering 3 legacy memberships for $75K each. Its lifetime of free golf and No monthly dues ever, no cart fees... The membership can be passed down to a child or one family member. So possibly 50-75 years of golf for one upfront cost

Not too shabby. I know Lawsonia 10 years ago was offering a similar deal for $10K, now it is $30K, not all that terrible for a 36 holes facility.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 2 weeks later...

thread is back, thanks Mods.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

As far as I know Strawberry Creek remains pretty strictly private although some years back my parents were interested in playing and with a call from their local pro, were pretty easily able to get on and pay the greens fees.   They were semi-private when they first started out.   Also another way to possibly get on in the future is that in past years ( not this year ) they have included Strawberry Creek in the rotation for the Kenosha County Open.  It pushes the fee to get in up quite a bit but 3 days of golf for $175 or whatever it was is still a pretty good deal between there and Brighton Dale Links. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

I played my first round on Lac La Belle and I am not sure what to think.  The first 5 holes and tees are clearly in need of a years seasoning or growing in.  No complaint there as I knew that up front, but I also thought they were a little uninspiring in design.  The "old" part of the course is in terrific condition.  Greens in general are very large with multiple tiers and undulations giving the pin setters lots of options.  They ran very true if a bit slow compared to the greens I normally play.  I thought the fairways were almost resort course generous and the fescue thin, meaning you never lost a ball or were stuck without a shot unless you dumped one in the water.  I played a combo set of tees at just a smidge over 6500 yards.  There were only two holes, both par 4's, #13 and #18 that presented true hurdles for getting home in regulation.  I thought the par 5 hole designs were good and interesting but not terribly difficult length wise.  The staff, the range and the conditions (if you allow for some seasoning) were top tier.  There is an interesting collection of trophies and artifacts circa, early 1900's in the club house.  But, I was a little uninspired.  I shot a 78 and I am not that good.  Yes, I was hitting the ball well despite two brain dead double bogeys, but that score should have been lower as I left at least 4 putts dead on line and 6" short while trying to adjust to slower greens.  I was pretty geeked up to try the course and would happily play it again, but I think my expectations got ahead of the reality.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Anyone want to play tomorrow? Thinking branch river or somewhere in the fox valley 

Edited by collje26

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 2 weeks later...

Have the opportunity to tee it up at Stevens Point Country Club on labor day, anyone have any experiences playing there recently?

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any details, but I see that Lawsonia is doing some work on the Links course to bring it back to the original Langford & Moreau 1930 design.  They are doing fairway expansion on 11 & 13 by changing mow lines.  I wouldn't think it would impact play, nor do I know if they have other hole updates in mind.

Phred 

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I normally don't have WI golfing experience to post, but the wife and I went up to Kohler for a getaway from the kids (first time staying there), and I was able to play a solo round on the Irish this past Sunday night with a caddie (Rey, short for Reynoldo).

It was also my birthday, so I splurged for the caddy.

Tee time was at 3:30 pm (twilight started at 2:30, but wife and I were at the spa), so it was smooth sailing up until the 7th hole where we hit the wall.  We were bringing up the rear and I had been warned and knew that there was no guarantee that I'd get in 18 holes.

The marshal came by and apologized about the slow pace and said they were trying to do what they could.

I was comp'ed a drink and snack (thank you), and we were able to finish 18, playing 17th approach to 18th finish in darkness.

17th approach was to a green tucked close to water hazard, and it started dangerously left of the flag where there hazard lurked... I couldn't see where it landed, only heard it hit the green.  As I walked up, I hoped the ball had stayed up and it had, on the fringe some 12 feet from the flag, and I holed the putt for par.

I really had a lot of fun on the Irish course.

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 3

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 9/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, collje26 said:

Have the opportunity to tee it up at Stevens Point Country Club on labor day, anyone have any experiences playing there recently?

I was wondering what you thought of the course.  It is on my way to northern Wisco and I haven't played it yet.

11 hours ago, Phreddy said:

I was wondering what you thought of the course.  It is on my way to northern Wisco and I haven't played it yet.

Wasn't able to play it but was able to check off Oshkosh Country Club. A bit quirky off the tee for your first time playing it but once of the most challenging courses around the greens. Actually played lawsonia links (the mow between 11/13 is sweet looking now because it's all dead grass) and shot 72 there and had 78 at Oshkosh Country Club.

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

14 hours ago, Phreddy said:

Secondhand info from my caddy on the Irish  course at Whistling Straits said he loved it (Stevens Point CC).

TM TP5x

On 9/19/2020 at 7:34 AM, collje26 said:

Wasn't able to play it but was able to check off Oshkosh Country Club. A bit quirky off the tee for your first time playing it but once of the most challenging courses around the greens. Actually played lawsonia links (the mow between 11/13 is sweet looking now because it's all dead grass) and shot 72 there and had 78 at Oshkosh Country Club.

I heard Oshkosh CC is now open for public play......might try and get there this fall.  Have you played Fox Valley Golf Club?  My home course has a reciprocal with it and I've heard it's in really nice condition....but not sure about the design.

Played Bullseye for the second time and had a lot of fun with my dad and bro.  Lots of strategically placed bunkers in the fwy., that seem to be right in range of being able to carry or decide to play short of or try to skirt.  IMO fair and playable off the tee!  And the greens, fairly small and undulating, and slick.....you do not want to be above the hole!  Really like the course.....and the view from the deck is pretty good.  Wish I lived closer!

IMG_20200920_113358899_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ode said:

I heard Oshkosh CC is now open for public play......might try and get there this fall.  Have you played Fox Valley Golf Club?  My home course has a reciprocal with it and I've heard it's in really nice condition....but not sure about the design.

Yup. Used to belong there. I’d pass. Design/layout is sub par. If your home course has reciprocal with them I’d look into other courses in the area. Hole 7 at the fox might be the dumbest hole I’ve ever played. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Played Spring Valley CC yesterday morning.  What a treat.  Loved the layout and seeing some of those similar design features you see at LL....greens were smaller much like the short par par 4,s at LL (3, 8, 17).  Don't want to miss em left right or long.  Lots of blind or semi-blind tee shots, undulation/elevation change from tee to green.  I found it quite playable off the tee.  Condition of tees and fwys was just ok, greens were very good.  Was not a fan of the lay up area on the second par 5 on the front, it was a mess, but other than that it was a great experience.

Edited by ode
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 3:09 AM, Chanceman said:

Anyone played Eagle Springs and have a view on its quality? I know its only 9 holes but it seems to pop up in various lists. Sounds very interesting given its history going back to the 1890s.

Went to college in Whitewater and passed thru Eagle all the time going to and from my internship in Waukesha.  Never heard of the place until your post.  Gonna try and check it out before years end.

Eagle Springs is not something worth driving a long distance for, but it is absolutely a fun 9 holes of golf.  Several greens with very fun slopes, including #1 and #4 (and I believe it is the par 3 7th?).  The volcano green on #2 is obviously the claim to fame, and it is a fun and challenging hole to play.  I would certainly recommend it as a worthwhile stop!

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

On 10/3/2020 at 10:02 AM, ode said:

Played Spring Valley CC yesterday morning.  What a treat.  Loved the layout and seeing some of those similar design features you see at LL....greens were smaller much like the short par par 4,s at LL (3, 8, 17).  Don't want to miss em left right or long.  Lots of blind or semi-blind tee shots, undulation/elevation change from tee to green.  I found it quite playable off the tee.  Condition of tees and fwys was just ok, greens were very good.  Was not a fan of the lay up area on the second par 5 on the front, it was a mess, but other than that it was a great experience.

I love Spring Valley. It is one of my favorite courses to play. 

It is too bad that Langford & Moreau's fairway features are obscured with trees. When the derecho hit back in August, I hoping it would pound the course and force it's hand as it relates to tree removal.

Wouldn't take much to have this place transform from hidden gem to gem. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

11 hours ago, rtraudt said:

Eagle Springs is not something worth driving a long distance for, but it is absolutely a fun 9 holes of golf.  Several greens with very fun slopes, including #1 and #4 (and I believe it is the par 3 7th?).  The volcano green on #2 is obviously the claim to fame, and it is a fun and challenging hole to play.  I would certainly recommend it as a worthwhile stop!

Sounds like a nice little stopover enroute from Chicago to Milwaukee. 9 holes will be perfect.

4 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Sounds like a nice little stopover enroute from Chicago to Milwaukee. 9 holes will be perfect.

I lived about20 miles from Eagle Springs and never played it.  Shame on me.  But, it's not exactly easy to get to when traveling Chicago to MKE.  Unless, you're coming from the Northwest suburbs and taking backroads.

5 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Strongly considering planning a trip to Sand Valley in April or May and perhaps adding a round at Whistling Straits.

Any advice/recommendation for a first-timer to SV or Wisconsin in general?

April would be a weather issue.  Cold for sure and maybe worse.  The Straits is along the shore of lake Michigan which would be a giant body of 35* water making temps along the lake very chilly when it could be 10*-15* warmer 10-20 miles inland.  If you are traveling, think about the second half of May as a much safer/more pleasant time.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Phreddy said:

April would be a weather issue.  Cold for sure and maybe worse.  The Straits is along the shore of lake Michigan which would be a giant body of 35* water making temps along the lake very chilly when it could be 10*-15* warmer 10-20 miles inland.  If you are traveling, think about the second half of May as a much safer/more pleasant time.

Great feedback - may try and look at May then for sure.

Is it common to try and look at Straits and/or perhaps Erin Hills on a trip to SV? Incredible courses up there and I've never visited, so would love to plan out a trip at as many courses as possible 😉