2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

On 9/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, ode said:

Played Sage Run twice, Sweetgrass, and another course just north of Escanaba called Gladstone.  Super course and a lot of fun to play.  Serious elevation change going on, cut thru some pines.  $26 to walk (not an easy walk).  Hope to return later in fall!  If you are up that way go and tee it up and have a blast!

Finished up a tour of some of the up north courses....after the UP, headed over to Rhinelander and played Northwood.  That place is TIGHT off the tee.  You cannot miss past the first cut as it will be a penalty!  Enjoyed it, greens were good.  Zipped down to Antigo/Deerbrook where a buddy has a cottage and played Bass Lake.  It's a Larry Packard design and a lot of fun.  The green complexes were super.  The back 9 a bit more scenic and more elevation change for some really interesting holes!

• Like 1

I read this stat today:  Wisconsin ranks 6th in the nation for golfers per capita and 10th for the number of courses.  When you add the add in the quality of the courses - The Kohler complex, Erin Hills, Sand Valley, Troy Burne, U RIdge, Lawsonia, Sentry, Lake Geneva, very good Munis (Browndeer/Washington County etal) some top shelf privates.....Well, you get the idea.  Communal pat on the back Sconies.  Time to go tee it up.

Phred

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

1 hour ago, games said:

Has anyone played Minocqua CC (private)?  I've heard nothing but great things.  Will probably never get on, but I can dream...

The quick answer is no.  Several years ago I could have gotten on but the guest green fees were beyond what it was worth to me.  You do sometimes see an invitation available in a First Tee on line auction fund raiser.  I've used that to get on at some nice places by spitting it with a group of guys.

• Thanks 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

57 minutes ago, Phreddy said:

The quick answer is no.  Several years ago I could have gotten on but the guest green fees were beyond what it was worth to me.  You do sometimes see an invitation available in a First Tee on line auction fund raiser.  I've used that to get on at some nice places by spitting it with a group of guys.

I recall their listed rate on Boxgroove was something like $295.  Just crazy...

To your point, Phred, I won a charity auction about 15 years ago to play Oconomowoc Golf Club, a private with a Donald Ross design.  I won with a bid of $200 for our foursome, and after playing it, probably would have paid double that.

I could never prove this...  OGC and Lac La Belle are roughly the same age, and I don't think Lac La Belle knows its original architect.  Having played both I do wonder if Ross had a hand in Lac La Belle, also.  

Edited by games

10 hours ago, games said:

I recall their listed rate on Boxgroove was something like $295.  Just crazy...

To your point, Phred, I won a charity auction about 15 years ago to play Oconomowoc Golf Club, a private with a Donald Ross design.  I won with a bid of $200 for our foursome, and after playing it, probably would have paid double that.

I could never prove this...  OGC and Lac La Belle are roughly the same age, and I don't think Lac La Belle knows its original architect.  Having played both I do wonder if Ross had a hand in Lac La Belle, also.  

I've only played Oconomowoc a couple times.  If memory serves it isn't terribly long, tight off most tees and to score you need quality second shots into small greens.  That's an interesting thought on the link between Ross and Lac La Belle.

• Like 1

I’ll be at the Ryder cup tomorrow and Thursday! Was able to pull a few strings and get tickets with access to alliant energy’s suite off of 1. Should be a hell of a week for Wisconsin. 

• Like 3

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

9 hours ago, collje26 said:

I’ll be at the Ryder cup tomorrow and Thursday! Was able to pull a few strings and get tickets with access to alliant energy’s suite off of 1. Should be a hell of a week for Wisconsin. 

Had a chance to go yesterday (last minute) but could not due to work.  

Have fun 🇺🇸

Had a great time yesterday playing Royal St. Patrick's in the a.m. and Mascoutin Red/Blue in the afternoon.  I love RSP, always in fantastic condition and an example of what you can do with flat land.  Looks like A LOT of development going on in Wrightstown as well as in between the holes.  The surrounds of that course are not very good to begin with....I suspect in 5-10 years it will be like playing between commercial/residential.   It's still a really fun course to play!

Mascoutin Red/White I appreciate more every time I play it.  Really makes me think about position and where best to be to have a good attempt to attack the approach shot.  The Blue is just dramatically different, but a fabulous 9 holes of golf.  IMO of Jacobson,s public's in Wisco....his best stretch of holes.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 11:39 AM, ode said:

Finished up a tour of some of the up north courses....after the UP, headed over to Rhinelander and played Northwood.  That place is TIGHT off the tee.  You cannot miss past the first cut as it will be a penalty!  Enjoyed it, greens were good.  Zipped down to Antigo/Deerbrook where a buddy has a cottage and played Bass Lake.  It's a Larry Packard design and a lot of fun.  The green complexes were super.  The back 9 a bit more scenic and more elevation change for some really interesting holes!

Gladstone (Days river) is a nice place. Play there a few times a year. Don't live to far away. Check group golfer. On there every year for 18.00 for 18 holes and a cart.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:36 AM, ode said:

Had a great time yesterday playing Royal St. Patrick's in the a.m. and Mascoutin Red/Blue in the afternoon.  I love RSP, always in fantastic condition and an example of what you can do with flat land.  Looks like A LOT of development going on in Wrightstown as well as in between the holes.  The surrounds of that course are not very good to begin with....I suspect in 5-10 years it will be like playing between commercial/residential.   It's still a really fun course to play!

Mascoutin Red/White I appreciate more every time I play it.  Really makes me think about position and where best to be to have a good attempt to attack the approach shot.  The Blue is just dramatically different, but a fabulous 9 holes of golf.  IMO of Jacobson,s public's in Wisco....his best stretch of holes.

Sadly it's going to be house lined holes. It's a solid course but way too penal in my opinion and for some reason always plays so soft.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Played Strawberry Creek this past Sunday and really enjoyed it.

Posted this in the Chicago area thread (I live 12 miles south of the border, and was pleased that it's only 25 minutes to Strawberry Creek!)

Played Strawberry Creek yesterday (Sunday, Sep 26) and it was an absolute pleasure.

the operative word for the day being fun.

Great Rick Jacobson course with some drivable par 4’s, nice mix of par 3’s.

The course also features nice elevation changes, the total variation on course being 50 feet

Big South-Southwest winds kept us on our toes and warm

if you ever have a chance to play there, I wholeheartedly recommend going so.

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 3

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Not course related, but has anyone in the Brookfield/ Milwaukee area been to the Ryder Cup Pop-Up shop in Brookfield?

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

had another great experience at The Club at Strawberry Creek yesterday. What a change 16 days makes, 20 degrees colder, cart path only vs fast and firm made for a different experience, but still a super fun golf course.

The membership really has a great course there, and again kudos to Rick Jacobson for his design.

• Like 1

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 10/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, jerebear21 said:

just got back from erin hills/sand valley... it was unusually hot this time of the year which we hate.

erin hills is always erin hills and always a pleasure to walk.

sand valley's vibe has gotten so much more fun since our last visit.  food truck burgers and non stop transfusions on the sand box is as good as it gets.  conditions couldn't be better and can't wait to come back in 2023/2024 when the new courses at sand valley opens up.  it's on our permanent US rota along with bandon, cabot, kiawah and pinehurst.  

the more I play erin hills, the better it gets.  I don't know why it doesn't get enough love but I'd play here every day and never get bored.  Can't say the same about a lot of privates/public courses that are ranked higher.  post an 83 with three 3putts, one inside 10 ft cuz I wanted that birdie so badly.  No 8 is my true nemesis there. An untimely triple to lose the front 9 nassau.  

p1110608-2_51552691063_o.JPG.9d80ef379f5d19c895508e08c355fd94.JPG

I just got back from playing Erin for the 3rd time yesterday. I think like you it has grown on me each time. I am ready to proclaim it my favorite course. The experience from top to bottom is awesome. Can't wait to go back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjl48 said:

I just got back from playing Erin for the 3rd time yesterday. I think like you it has grown on me each time. I am ready to proclaim it my favorite course. The experience from top to bottom is awesome. Can't wait to go back. 

it's the best course in wisconsin.   I'm rather disappointed they made the first tee box a bit easier than before.  Love me some EH. 

• Like 2

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

5 hours ago, jerebear21 said:

it's the best course in wisconsin.   I'm rather disappointed they made the first tee box a bit easier than before.  Love me some EH. 

I have yet to play any of the Kohler courses, but from what I have heard I am not expecting any of those to be better. I'll be playing those early next year. 

I am not a greatly well traveled golfer, but I've been around a bit. Been to Bandon, and SV to name a few. If I had my choice of 1 course to play tomorrow that I have already played it is Erin Hills. 

Edited by tjl48

That’s a tall order considering the love on this forum for bandon. I love bandon dunes and trails. But the more I think about it I’m going to have to agree with you.  I consider the ocean course at Kiawah far superior over whistling. But this isn’t a knock on whistling.  

I absolutely love EH. Drink some rescue fescue and enjoy the walk.  I’m giving Erin hills way too much love. Ha! 

0855777E-C948-42C1-8B29-2965E74F1A5E.jpeg.54df32da303627b4c192b823b990612d.jpeg

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Kohler gets all the publicity...and they've earned it as a host to a US Women's Open, PGA's and now the Ryder Cup.  They also enjoy a pedigree back to a "name" course architect.  On top of that the Tour Pros destroyed Erin Hills at a US Open.  Public sentiment seems to fall along those same lines.  Partly it is luck of the draw, as it was a very wet June immediately prior to the US Open at Erin and the wind did not blow during the event as is typical for that time.  If that Open had been more along the lines expected:  firm, fast and windy Erin may be regarded by the golfing public at large as much more challenging.  I've played Bandon, SV and Kohler.  I would put Erin as a cut above.  It certainly has a more Halloweenesque history with murder, near bankruptcies and changes in ownership prior to the first ball being struck.  Given the amount of land adjacent and the deep pockets of current ownership I am somewhat surprised there hasn't been more of a destination, multi course initiative.

Phred

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, geochitown said:

had another great experience at The Club at Strawberry Creek yesterday. What a change 16 days makes, 20 degrees colder, cart path only vs fast and firm made for a different experience, but still a super fun golf course.

The membership really has a great course there, and again kudos to Rick Jacobson for his design.

Geo are you getting out there with a current member?   I put the clubs away weeks ago but would love to find a way out there next season and was curious.  I played it once when it was semi-private and the clubhouse was nothing more than a trailer on the property, and one other time my folks had the pro from their club call up and they got us on for $100 a head I think but that was probably 10 years ago. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

I joined NewClub golf society and got access that way. 

the greens fee is higher than your number

Http://www.newclub.golf

Edited by geochitown

TM TP5x

Thinking of making the drive to Lac La Belle this Sunday, anyone play it recently?

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 10/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, collje26 said:

Thinking of making the drive to Lac La Belle this Sunday, anyone play it recently?

Thought about it yesterday.  Played Western Lakes in the a.m. and Washington Co. in the afternoon.  Haven't been to Wash. Co. in over a year, so we kept our plans and went there and had a blast, but we contemplated going to LLB while in route!  Tis the season to take advantage of fall rates!

On 10/19/2021 at 10:13 AM, geochitown said:

I joined NewClub golf society and got access that way. 

the greens fee is higher than your number

Http://www.newclub.golf

Geo, care to share your experience with the "New Club" in terms of the courses you have access to and the availability of tee times at those facilities?  I went through the website but there isn't a lot of info in terms of courses.  Thanks much.