Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Played the bull today....#16 is one of my fav holes-

Tee-

Fwy-

75 yds-

Front right green-

Looking back fwy, green-

I love this hole, short, demanding, with no let up. Ravine surrounds the fairway and the green is tiered, today pin in the right and front...which is def easier than left/back. I hit 3 wood to about 115 had the limbs if the pines to deal with on line to pin and landed in right into the ridge....missed a 12 footer down hiller. Great shortish hole. Parred all the signature par 4's today, #5, 9, 16, and 18.

I love this hole, short, demanding, with no let up. Ravine surrounds the fairway and the green is tiered, today pin in the right and front...which is def easier than left/back. I hit 3 wood to about 115 had the limbs if the pines to deal with on line to pin and landed in right into the ridge....missed a 12 footer down hiller. Great shortish hole. Parred all the signature par 4's today, #5, 9, 16, and 18.

That is a very good hole, on a very solid course... saying a course has 4 signature par 4s is pretty funny thou, sounds like something a typical Nicklaus Design would advertise. The Bull is prob the only Nicklaus design ive played that i actually liked, so many others are tricked up with no strategy in the design

Tee-

Fwy-

75 yds-

Front right green-

Looking back fwy, green-

Love that course. The stretch from 2-5 and the dog leg's right on the back 9 really keep your game in check. 18 from the tips is brutal.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

The Bull: I hate #16! I've lost a good round to that tee shot more times than I can count. Through the fairway, or trying to draw a little and ending up in the schmutz. Truth be told, it is a very good hole and it is the golfer that is lacking. The second shot on that hole is one of the all time best.

I also like number 5. It really isn't that hard of a hole, but I just like the way it looks off the tee.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

That is a very good hole, on a very solid course... saying a course has 4 signature par 4s is pretty funny thou, sounds like something a typical Nicklaus Design would advertise. The Bull is prob the only Nicklaus design ive played that i actually liked, so many others are tricked up with no strategy in the design

It's more me trying to play it up, as I don't think I've ever parred all 4 of those holes in one round before ?

The Bull: I hate #16! I've lost a good round to that tee shot more times than I can count. Through the fairway, or trying to draw a little and ending up in the schmutz. Truth be told, it is a very good hole and it is the golfer that is lacking. The second shot on that hole is one of the all time best.

I also like number 5. It really isn't that hard of a hole, but I just like the way it looks off the tee.

5 and 16 are visually stunning holes. Decent tee shot and you'll have a good chance.....the approach is harder on 16, but generally from a shorter distance.

Great course, my one big gripe is the fact that it’s basically a riding only course. That’s what keeps the Kohler courses above it by far for me as a primarily walking golfer. The par 4 11th is fun, because you can take off quite a bit with a good drive but bring a ton of danger into play, or just play it conservatively. The course definitely gives a lot of options on most tee shots. And I love to play it in the spring and fall when rates can be found for dirt cheap.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Great course, my one big gripe is the fact that it’s basically a riding only course. That’s what keeps the Kohler courses above it by far for me as a primarily walking golfer. The par 4 11th is fun, because you can take off quite a bit with a good drive but bring a ton of danger into play, or just play it conservatively. The course definitely gives a lot of options on most tee shots. And I love to play it in the spring and fall when rates can be found for dirt cheap.

I've walked it before, it's really no big deal to do so, last year was the first time and it was late fall, the week of Thanksgiving, when it gets that cold, I walk, even on riding courses. The only to do is getting from 13 to 14, but no worse then getting to the first tee at Meadow....and I forget which hole at the river but there is a long ride to the par 4 where you tee of down the hill, big bunker on the right and approach back up the hill, pretty much a blind 2nd. Not even sure they have a walking rate at the Bull? I do there 50/50 membership every year and it's the best bang for your buck in golf!

11 is fun, I always try to hit driver right:), pulled it off yesterday and had about a 60 yard pitch from the rough just right of the last bunker.

Great course, my one big gripe is the fact that it's basically a riding only course. That's what keeps the Kohler courses above it by far for me as a primarily walking golfer. The par 4 11th is fun, because you can take off quite a bit with a good drive but bring a ton of danger into play, or just play it conservatively. The course definitely gives a lot of options on most tee shots. And I love to play it in the spring and fall when rates can be found for dirt cheap.

I've walked it before, it's really no big deal to do so, last year was the first time and it was late fall, the week of Thanksgiving, when it gets that cold, I walk, even on riding courses. The only to do is getting from 13 to 14, but no worse then getting to the first tee at Meadow....and I forget which hole at the river but there is a long ride to the par 4 where you tee of down the hill, big bunker on the right and approach back up the hill, pretty much a blind 2nd. Not even sure they have a walking rate at the Bull? I do there 50/50 membership every year and it's the best bang for your buck in golf!

11 is fun, I always try to hit driver right:), pulled it off yesterday and had about a 60 yard pitch from the rough just right of the last bunker.

When we played it a while ago we were wondering what the percentage is of (assuming you can carry/play tees you can carry) people who go for it? From those who are out there regularly and see. I'm guessing it's pin placement based? As a left or deep pin, you might as well just come in from the left side, instead of the right.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Great course, my one big gripe is the fact that it's basically a riding only course. That's what keeps the Kohler courses above it by far for me as a primarily walking golfer. The par 4 11th is fun, because you can take off quite a bit with a good drive but bring a ton of danger into play, or just play it conservatively. The course definitely gives a lot of options on most tee shots. And I love to play it in the spring and fall when rates can be found for dirt cheap.

When we played it a while ago we were wondering what the percentage is of (assuming you can carry/play tees you can carry) people who go for it? From those who are out there regularly and see. I'm guessing it's pin placement based? As a left or deep pin, you might as well just come in from the left side, instead of the right.

There are two split fwy's, 8 and 11, the easy option leads to the harder approach to a shallow but wide green....go down the risk side and pull it off and you will be green high, pitching over next to no trouble. 8 being a par 5 and on the layup shot.

I used to take the right fairway on No. 11 every time as it's really not that far to reach (from the green tees I normally play, only about a 210-225 carry depending how aggressive), however I would end up through the fairway or in one of the bunkers so often that I take the easy route down the left side each time now.

I'm a 50-50 member there as well and agree, there is no better deal I've ever found than that.

Winter Indoor Golf Alert: Deer Haven Golf Club in New Berlin (SE Wisconsin, western Milwaukee suburb) has installed two E6 simulators available for rental for leagues, parties, instructors, off-season team practices,and some open play.

For those familiar with Deer Haven, the golf facility is under new management (I'm just a "weekend" bartender) with a vision for the executive 9-hole course, driving range, practice green, and clubhouse.

Tomorrow (11/12/17), Deer Haven is holding an "open house" starting around 11am. Come try out the sims, watch the Packers, have a beverage, and hear management's plans for this great facility, both for winter and beyond! If you read this on GolfWRX and stop out tomorrow, please take a moment to say hello!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this qualifies as a Wisconsin golf topic as it is Thanksgiving week, the state colors are a mix of Green and Gold and Blaze Orange and there were big wet silver dollar size snowflakes in the air yesterday. I booked plane tickets to Arizona for a long weekend in January.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Where are you playing Phreddy? I'll be there 1/11-1/14 (Scottsdale). Looking into places to play.

My wife and I arrive the evening of 11/13, so unfortunately it sounds like we will miss connecting. The official reason for the trip is to visit her brother, and a new grandniece. That should take about 15 minutes. I have a friend who winters at Desert Mountain and I've never played any of the 6 courses there. That is on the wish list. I've played TPC , We-Ko-Pa and Troon North. Never played Grayhawk. I will be snooping around on the "Southwest" section to get some ideas.

Phred

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else get out and enjoy the weather yesterday?! Played West Ridge in Neenah, WI, not too shabby of shape and played great shot 69, -4. Great way to end the year most likely for golf.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Herb Kohler is going to go 5 for 5. He has received a preliminary approval from the Wisconsin DNR to build his 5th course. Final approval should come in early 2018. I will be very interested to see his choice of designer. Pete Dye has a lot of history with Herb, but I would enjoy seeing another architect bring some additional variety to the area. If I am not mistaken, the intended site is a Lake Michigan shoreline course like Whistling Straits, but south of Sheboygan and abutting Kohler-Andre State Park.

Phred

• 4 months later...

Any one looking to play lawsonia or something the weekend of the 12th? Finally got 36 in this weekend as well, rusty as can be.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

The Chicago area courses are all jammed this Saturday so I'm heading up to Washington County and Broadlands. Any idea if either has punched yet? I'm preparing for at least one to have a heavy layer of top dressing.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

• 1 month later...