Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

On 9/27/2022 at 4:15 PM, Phreddy said:

collje,

Congrats on some really fine play.  It sounds like a fun event.

Thanks! It was a great day on the links, mid 50's and 20 mph winds all day.

The individuals that were there made it what it was. They were some of the most passionate individuals about the game of golf and what it should be about, two that stood out were Craig Haltom who was the individual that discovered the land that sand valley sits on and pitched it to the keiser's and the other was Greg Ramsay who discovered the land that Barnbougle dunes sits on. They met in St. Andrews of all places.

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

It was a day of firsts.  The first frost delay of the year.  The first time I was the first guy out (played solo in front of a foursome that had the tee time in front of me.  Thank you guys!). Seemed like the first day in forever without wind.  Shot my lowest round of the year.  With the exception of one par saving putt that was a total and unrepeatable bomb, it was boring golf.  Good boring.  Hit the fairway off the tee, green in regulation take the two putts and move to the next hole.

Phred

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

• 2 weeks later...

Had put my golf clubs away for the season a few weeks ago, but was invited to a work meeting out on the golf course and couldn't turn that down.   Got a second shot at Racine CC.  I really struggled with it the first time in June for a number of reasons and carded my worst round of the season.   This time around it was a bit more enjoyable on what will likely be one of the nicest days left this year and the trees changing colors.  Scratched out an 81 with three doubles and a triple on the card.   One of the highlights of the day was having lunch in their new practice area that has been constructed down by the driving range.   Really impressive set up.  Four fully functional virtual golf bays with seating and then I believe there were either 6 or 8 heated bays with garage doors in which you can hit outside.  Nice bar inside with food options.  

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

10 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Had put my golf clubs away for the season a few weeks ago, but was invited to a work meeting out on the golf course and couldn't turn that down.   Got a second shot at Racine CC.  I really struggled with it the first time in June for a number of reasons and carded my worst round of the season.   This time around it was a bit more enjoyable on what will likely be one of the nicest days left this year and the trees changing colors.  Scratched out an 81 with three doubles and a triple on the card.   One of the highlights of the day was having lunch in their new practice area that has been constructed down by the driving range.   Really impressive set up.  Four fully functional virtual golf bays with seating and then I believe there were either 6 or 8 heated bays with garage doors in which you can hit outside.  Nice bar inside with food options.  

Absolutely love that first tee shot and the walk up 18. I swear that club house is like 300 yards long.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

We had some graupel (rain/snow) here in Kenosha yesterday.  Going to tee it up with my regular guys one last time Sunday morning.   I've had family staying at my house since October 1st and I am getting to the end of my rope so even though it will be in the 30s for the 8am tee off, I'm going to do my best to enjoy it.   Managed to play just over 50 times at Brighton Dale Links this season and also got out about half a dozen times for work events and visiting my mother.   Considering the poor spring we had I guess I'll take it.   Wish it was closer to 75 but the season is short.  

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

On 10/14/2022 at 7:52 AM, TBone0576 said:

We had some graupel (rain/snow) here in Kenosha yesterday.  Going to tee it up with my regular guys one last time Sunday morning.   I've had family staying at my house since October 1st and I am getting to the end of my rope so even though it will be in the 30s for the 8am tee off, I'm going to do my best to enjoy it.   Managed to play just over 50 times at Brighton Dale Links this season and also got out about half a dozen times for work events and visiting my mother.   Considering the poor spring we had I guess I'll take it.   Wish it was closer to 75 but the season is short.  

I was a couple miles south at SPring Valley yesterday morning, was cold, but I really enjoy this time of year for golf, thing move a little slower, have the course relatively to yourself, was hoping for a few more weeks of shirt sleeves, but at least able to play. I am sore this morning from over swinging in all the clothes. 

Did they let you off at BD, they are notorious for 2 hour phantom frost delays.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, TBone0576 said:

very nice, Ive been on Racine CC a few times but never got to play it, cool old course

3 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I was a couple miles south at SPring Valley yesterday morning, was cold, but I really enjoy this time of year for golf, thing move a little slower, have the course relatively to yourself, was hoping for a few more weeks of shirt sleeves, but at least able to play. I am sore this morning from over swinging in all the clothes. 

Did they let you off at BD, they are notorious for 2 hour phantom frost delays.

Sounds like there was a delay until 9:45 Saturday and that was the day they had their big Brighton Dale Open 27 hole scramble event.  Yesterday we were told there would be a delay but actually teed off just after 8am.   Nobody out there.   Three of us finished in 2:45.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

43 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

Sounds like there was a delay until 9:45 Saturday and that was the day they had their big Brighton Dale Open 27 hole scramble event.  Yesterday we were told there would be a delay but actually teed off just after 8am.   Nobody out there.   Three of us finished in 2:45.  

that is a beautiful thing IMO

teed off about 715 at SV, I think that gets more play this time of year becasue people know if you show up, especially if you walk, will get off. They have been holding people for riding until frost is almost gone. They are much more practical though, they just dont give a blanket statement

• Like 1

I know there is a chance of rain on Monday, but I booked an early twilight round at the Straits... first time... very excited

• Like 2

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

33 minutes ago, jwhite86 said:

I know there is a chance of rain on Monday, but I booked an early twilight round at the Straits... first time... very excited

You won’t regret it. Even with the rain it’ll be a memorable round! Wear comfy shoes and bring rain gear!

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

On 10/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, Shipwreck said:

You won’t regret it. Even with the rain it’ll be a memorable round! Wear comfy shoes and bring rain gear!

Rained in the morning, but it was dry in the afternoon.  Super windy 28-30 mph from the south.  2-4 and 15-17 were dead into the wind.

Hit a 4 hybrid from 165 just to get pin high.  Greens were incredible and was paired with some great people

• Like 3

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Nice rounds this week:

Tuesday - The Rock in Waupun.  I really like the course, especially the front.

Wednesday - Lawsonia Links.  All is right with the world again🤠. Beautiful day, warm temps, enough wind to make it more challenging then usual.  Course was still playing firm and fast.  Greens were a bit hairy and slower then normal but that was ok.  My buddy and I had a great time.  Played it opening week and closing week.  It did not take long to remember why this is my favorite course.  Those greens 😍....and those approach shots are so much fun!

• Like 4

On 11/3/2022 at 12:57 PM, ode said:

Nice rounds this week:

Tuesday - The Rock in Waupun.  I really like the course, especially the front.

Wednesday - Lawsonia Links.  All is right with the world again🤠. Beautiful day, warm temps, enough wind to make it more challenging then usual.  Course was still playing firm and fast.  Greens were a bit hairy and slower then normal but that was ok.  My buddy and I had a great time.  Played it opening week and closing week.  It did not take long to remember why this is my favorite course.  Those greens 😍....and those approach shots are so much fun!

Played the links yesterday as it was the final day. Absolutely beautiful. Something special about that place and this is from someone who’s probably got 80 rounds this year on it. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 1 month later...

Are you guys in Wisconsin excited about the new PGA Superstore location?

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

1 hour ago, taylorx300 said:

Sorta kinda.  They are opening within a few miles of a Golf Galaxy that is already pretty well stocked.  I wouldn't go to either one for a fitting unless I knew or had heard good things about the individual.  It is funny in that the west side of town has tons of retail choices.  Golf and otherwise, but the east/north side has bupkuss.  

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, taylorx300 said:

Get me a club builder that knows how to swingweight clubs properly, turn down ferrules and have choices outside plain black ones (bb&fco would be great) and I'll get excited. It's basically the same thing as a GG, nevada bobs or whatever.

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

6 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Went to Lawsonia this summer and stayed in Green Lake a few days. The place stole my heart....what a lovely place to stay. Played Eagle Springs on the way back. Liked it more than Lawsonia! Not saying its better, just more my vibe. 

Lived in Wisconsin for 50 years, and the last 20 years lived 35-40 minutes from Palmyra and never played Eagle Springs.  Always said I'd get there one day, and never did.  Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Gringo said:

It's never too late! 

Plan is to get there next season.....wanted to this year but it didn't work out.  I did play the oldest 18 hole course in the state and enjoyed it!  It would be cool to head over there after playing Morningstar or Broadlands or something else in the area in the a.m. for a chill/fun 9 hole rd.  I went to school at UWW and didn't know it existed.

4 hours ago, El Gringo said:

My sojourn into Wisconsin was too short. When I was heading to Detroit I stopped at Culver for a game. I enjoyed that more than Lawsonia as well! I am a big fan of 9 holers. 

If you ever slum it again up towards Lawsonia.....Waupaca CC is a fun play with really good greens,  9 of them!