Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

4 hours ago, El Gringo said:

You are the third person to suggest Waupaca, must be something there. Is the tree situation good? I dislike tree enforced bowling alley golf. 

No, I would not consider it to be tight.  Trees, yes, they have them and there are a few holes that lean or dog fairly significantly, that appear tight, but are playable.  8 was the only questionable hole off the tee, but I suspect after playing it a time or two would be easier to figure out what to do.  A risk reward type tee shot!  I played for the first time last year and from memory, the periphery was lined and the inside of the course was more sparsely lined/framed.

Edited by ode

3 hours ago, ode said:

No, I would not consider it to be tight.  Trees, yes, they have them and there are a few holes that lean or dog fairly significantly, that appear tight, but are playable.  8 was the only questionable hole off the tee, but I suspect after playing it a time or two would be easier to figure out what to do.  A risk reward type tee shot!  I played for the first time last year and from memory, the periphery was lined and the inside of the course was more sparsely lined/framed.

I totally agree with this as well. The 9 hole loop is so fun with some risk reward holes, the conditioning is impressive as well as the hang at the club house over looking the 9th hole is awesome.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

6 hours ago, ode said:

👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, my group as a Lawsonia rain check burning a hole in our pocket (hit our drives and we’re called back to the clubhouse from the first fairway) from a few years ago and are looking to make a trip back this summer. 

Curious how people view Stevens Point Country Club? It seems that they allow outside play with an email. The pictures look great. Any idea what the unaccompanied guest rate is these days? I found 2021 rates at $99.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

On 1/2/2023 at 4:26 PM, Gdane said:

Hi all, my group as a Lawsonia rain check burning a hole in our pocket (hit our drives and we’re called back to the clubhouse from the first fairway) from a few years ago and are looking to make a trip back this summer. 

Curious how people view Stevens Point Country Club? It seems that they allow outside play with an email. The pictures look great. Any idea what the unaccompanied guest rate is these days? I found 2021 rates at $99.

Played it a few times since the redesign after they lost most of their trees, with the last time being late last summer.  It was firm and fast through the greens, which were rolling quick.  Put a premium on being in the fairway to hold the green.  Green complexes are super. The layout is mostly fun with a few quirky spots I don't care for, but overall solid.  $115 I believe was the unaccompanied rate in 22, which IMO is a bit steep!

Edited by ode

17 hours ago, Gdane said:

I've played it multiple times last year. I would highly recommend checking it out since it's been redesigned and usually in great shape. They offer reciprocal fee's at lawsonia, I think it was like $25 when I played.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 1/2/2023 at 4:26 PM, Gdane said:

it made the top 20 courses in WI for 22-23

My home course of Spring Valley made the top 20 as well, very surprised

2 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Golf MAgazine

normally I think golf mag has one of the better ranking but this is suspect. I get that it’s a Langford and Moreau, but that doesn’t put it that high. Ozaukee is a much better example of a L&M course though they could both use substantial tree removal. 

LLB also shouldn’t be that high, though that may be based the their insane business model. 

3 hours ago, klebs01 said:

normally I think golf mag has one of the better ranking but this is suspect. I get that it’s a Langford and Moreau, but that doesn’t put it that high. Ozaukee is a much better example of a L&M course though they could both use substantial tree removal. 

LLB also shouldn’t be that high, though that may be based the their insane business model. 

Spring Valley is in the middle of a pretty big, if not tree removal a big tree trim, if you havent played it in a while you would be surprised, and he hasnt gotten to many of the big tree issues yet, that is to come by next summer

ya it is strange about the ranking, but maybe trying to hit someothers that never get the rec. most people can think of the first 10 in WI without doing any research so nice to move it around some, highlight some hidden rough gems

the big draw to SV is that is is untouched since the original design, which is cool as you play it as it was layed out 98 years ago, especially if you are into the hickory clubs as I am getting into since the end of summer

Edited by Wham49
  • Like 1

I need to get out to Spring Valley a few times this year.  It is usually the first course in the area to open so the last two times I've played out there it has been March/April.  Haven't played it during summer conditions in years.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

I need to get out to Spring Valley a few times this year.  It is usually the first course in the area to open so the last two times I've played out there it has been March/April.  Haven't played it during summer conditions in years.  

always welcome to tag along with me Bone, we are playing sunday, otherwise when it warms up

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ode said:

Were they open late this year.....was thinking of heading there in early December this year on a decent day but when I looked on their site there were no tee times.  Should have called!

yes always call, the owner shuts tee sheets down by then but if you call and talk to him probably get on, a cart is up in the air depending on the conditions

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:42 AM, Wham49 said:

always welcome to tag along with me Bone, we are playing sunday, otherwise when it warms up

Appreciate the offer but I will wait a few more months to get out there with you.   Going to do the virtual thing for 36 holes on Saturday. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me if this has been answered in the past, but I have a sand valley question, and it’s not urgent enough to warrant its own post. 

Does anyone know how far out non resort guests can make a tee time? I will be “in the area” using the term loosely, and may be able to sneak away from the family one day for a round. Any experience on booking a tee time as a day guest single? It will be mid July and I’m trying to gauge the possibility of getting out. 

17 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Excuse me if this has been answered in the past, but I have a sand valley question, and it’s not urgent enough to warrant its own post. 

Does anyone know how far out non resort guests can make a tee time? I will be “in the area” using the term loosely, and may be able to sneak away from the family one day for a round. Any experience on booking a tee time as a day guest single? It will be mid July and I’m trying to gauge the possibility of getting out. 

The way I read it on the website it is 30 days in advance.   The last time I booked for a group of us that sounds about right.   It's worth a call up there to be sure.  I am assuming people staying on property are under a different set of rules. 

https://sandvalley.com/golf-rates

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

36 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

The way I read it on the website it is 30 days in advance.   The last time I booked for a group of us that sounds about right.   It's worth a call up there to be sure.  I am assuming people staying on property are under a different set of rules. 

https://sandvalley.com/golf-rates

Yeah 30 days in advance for general public

• Thanks 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

11 hours ago, Scootre said:

My daughter has dance "nationals" at the Dells this June. Any recommendations for a course or 2 if me and my son can get out a couple days? I saw Wild Rock is part of the same company as the resort we're staying at. 

Staying at the Wilderness?  I love playing Wild Rock... have also heard some good things about Trappers Turn

You're also an hour away from Sand Valley

• Thanks 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

13 hours ago, Scootre said:

My daughter has dance "nationals" at the Dells this June. Any recommendations for a course or 2 if me and my son can get out a couple days? I saw Wild Rock is part of the same company as the resort we're staying at. 

Check out Northern Bay.  Fun course.  Six replica holes (including TPC Sawgrass #17) plus the rest make for a decent layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been 7 years since I pulled the trigger on some new irons.   Ordered up the 5-PW Titleist T100 last night and also got a new carry bag as I would like to occasionally walk this season, even if it is with a push cart.   Was contemplating getting the new black finished version but really wanted some KBS C Taper shafts in them and didn't think the irons would look right without a black colored shaft on them.  By just getting the standard finish it opened up the opportunity on the bag.   I'll send my MP-25's down to Charlotte to live with my mother so I have a set there, and bring back my MP-33's and probably sell them.  They are still fun to play but I would rather send them to someone who can swing them more than 2x a year. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW