2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Looking forward to teeing it up in the Minocqua area around the 4th of July. Playing Timber Ridge on Monday and St. Germain on Tuesday. Both are $65-70 with cart.

I remember when Timber Ridge was around $80-90 and St. Germain was $35. How times have changed...

Prefer St. Germain over timber ridge due to the lay out. Timber ridge is tight!

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Looking forward to teeing it up in the Minocqua area around the 4th of July. Playing Timber Ridge on Monday and St. Germain on Tuesday. Both are $65-70 with cart.

I remember when Timber Ridge was around $80-90 and St. Germain was $35. How times have changed...

And, you'd think given the locations it would be the opposite! But, neither is as narrow as Northwood in Rhinelander. The course with no rough. Either fairways or trees...

Ironically, my nemesis on Timber Ridge is #4, the long, wide open par 5. I can't recall the last time I put a good tee ball and second shot together for a clear shot to the green. That hole plays a ton longer than the card suggests...

And, you'd think given the locations it would be the opposite! But, neither is as narrow as Northwood in Rhinelander. The course with no rough. Either fairways or trees...

Ironically, my nemesis on Timber Ridge is #4, the long, wide open par 5. I can't recall the last time I put a good tee ball and second shot together for a clear shot to the green. That hole plays a ton longer than the card suggests...

That is odd! I had trouble with the tight dogleg #3 and #17 when I played there.

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Played Timber Ridge yesterday and St. Germain today. Both courses in phenomenal shape, and greens were quick!

Timber Ridge is always meticulously manicured, but was pleasantly surprised to find St. Germain was not far behind. Had some recent rain, but both courses drained well, with St. Germain having some standing water in a few spots.

On Sunday, my BIL and I trekked over to Trout Lake, a lesser known course, to hit the range. We found the grass tees were in wonderful condition, and the course looked really nice too. But, at $65 rack rate, compared to $68 for SG and TR, don't think we are going to try Trout Lake this trip.

Played Timber Ridge yesterday and St. Germain today. Both courses in phenomenal shape, and greens were quick!

Timber Ridge is always meticulously manicured, but was pleasantly surprised to find St. Germain was not far behind. Had some recent rain, but both courses drained well, with St. Germain having some standing water in a few spots.

On Sunday, my BIL and I trekked over to Trout Lake, a lesser known course, to hit the range. We found the grass tees were in wonderful condition, and the course looked really nice too. But, at $65 rack rate, compared to $68 for SG and TR, don't think we are going to try Trout Lake this trip.

Totally agree. Trout lake is a bit of a dog track in my opinion. I'm kicking myself for not trying to qualify for the Wisconsin State Am because it's being held at Minocqua Country Club. I really enjoy St. Germain but I think I'll be playing timber ridge this weekend.

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

I love Northwood and St. Germain, but I hit a lot of hybrids off the tee at Northwood. Never played Timber Ridge. Will be up that way for my yearly friends tourney in a few weeks. Glad to hear about the nice conditioning as I'm really looking forward to it. Not sure if we'll play Northwood, mostly likely Eagle River and St. Germain with a trip to Tribute Brewing after the Eagle River round and the 19th Hole after St. Germain for the par 3 contest. :)

I love Northwood and St. Germain, but I hit a lot of hybrids off the tee at Northwood. Never played Timber Ridge. Will be up that way for my yearly friends tourney in a few weeks. Glad to hear about the nice conditioning as I'm really looking forward to it. Not sure if we'll play Northwood, mostly likely Eagle River and St. Germain with a trip to Tribute Brewing after the Eagle River round and the 19th Hole after St. Germain for the par 3 contest. :)

Sir.

Your mention of Tribute Brewing is an obvious indication of good taste and upbringing.

Best Regards,

Games

I'm in Sheboygan, would like to see if we can get a small group together... more Wisconsin golfers than I thought here

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Sir.

Your mention of Tribute Brewing is an obvious indication of good taste and upbringing.

Best Regards,

Games

Thanks! Mostly that mention of Tribute is because I enjoy their excellent beer in an enjoyable, unassuming setting.

Cheers,

Joe

If you’re near St. Germain or that area you have to go check out the Aqualand Ale House.

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 2 weeks later...

what up wisconsin folks

seems like I have a wedding sept 15 in st.paul.

My wife gave me the go to fly in early to play some golf. But I just checked the map and it seems I'm about 3 hours away from st.paul(driving wise)

Flying in wednesday night to milwaukee, play all day thursday and friday morning. I'm 100% sure I need to play lawsonian links friday morning which leaves me a full day on thursday. SandValley or Whistling? Never been to either of them so this is my first time go. Heard a lot of over rated about whistling. What would you guys do? Thanks!

OR an alternative, somehow get myself on one of the top 100 courses in that area. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

what up wisconsin folks

My wife gave me the go to fly in early to play some golf. But I just checked the map and it seems I'm about 3 hours away from st.paul(driving wise)

Flying in wednesday night to milwaukee, play all day thursday and friday morning. I'm 100% sure I need to play lawsonian links friday morning which leaves me a full day on thursday. SandValley or Whistling? Never been to either of them so this is my first time go. Heard a lot of over rated about whistling. What would you guys do? Thanks!

OR an alternative, somehow get myself on one of the top 100 courses in that area. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

As a fellow floridian, i absolutely loved the straits course. Its steep $$$, but ive gone twice and have never found it overrated. Something about getting lost in between the sky and the lake that did it for me. I also really enjoyed blackwolf run, fun little course with lots of character.

However, id probably go to whichever one doesnt leave you exhausted for the wedding festivities.

I just booked sand valley and mammoth dunes sept 13 but would be persuaded to change! I play streamsong a lot. One con is this may be like streamsong which I'm hoping it's not. Anyone played both and can elaborate? Thanks!

any golfwrx want to join let me know and I'll call back to add you on thursday!

friday morning rounds I'm itching for lawsonia links!

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

what up wisconsin folks

I live in Chicago, My wife is from WI, and my sister in law lives in St Paul. If you've never played The Straights, it's worth playing. I would take advantage of their replay rate and play The River Course (my favorite) or The Irish. Erin Hills is also great. In St Paul, play Stone Ridge. There are other courses worth playing, Keller and Troy Burn, but I usually pick Stone Ridge.

I've played SV and Mammoth as well as Streamsong (not yet the Black). I prefer SV/Mammoth, but that said, they are very similar stylistically. Generous off the tee, rolling and undulating fairways and undulations in the greens. I think the bunkering at SV/M is much more penal than Streamsong making it a tougher test. I also like the ambiance of SV over Streamsong for what that is worth. I think Mike Kaiser's approach is similar to the design idea at Streamsong in that they want the courses to be interesting for the scratch player and the 20 handicap assuming they play appropriate tees. That is not to say that they are easy courses, but you won't spend time looking for lost balls and hitting out of knee high rough if you miss your line.

Under the heading of blondes vs brunettes/Chevy vs Ford, if I had one round of premium golf in southeastern Wisconsin I would play Erin Hills before Whistling. The Straits is more picturesque, but tee to green I will take Erin Hills.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

^^^This is what I needed to hear and got me thinking I may do Lawsonia links 36x on thursday and 1 round erin hill on friday. Or 2 rounds erin hills on thursday and 1 round lawsonia friday. My final destination is st paul for the wedding so whatever is easier.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

might as well extend a day here

wednesday - erin hills

thursday - sand valley or whistling (this is my biggest question mark)

friday - lawsonia links

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

might as well extend a day here

wednesday - erin hills

thursday - sand valley or whistling (this is my biggest question mark)

friday - lawsonia links

Logistically, think about switching your Thursday/Friday if you chose SV. As laid out you will drive an hour plus southeast from SV to Lawsonia only to turn around and head back northwest to get to the Twin Cities. Outside the Twin Cities, on the Wisconsin side of the border is Troy Burne (Hudson, WI). An excellent track. Again, very linkish.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

yeah I saw that, if that happens I would switch it. Now is erin hills a 36 type of day or would I get bored after my first time around? One of the big perks is Sand Valley has two courses and replay rate on two different course is a plus for me.

I think I made up my mind... Kohler has to wait till next time or never. I'm kind of anti-pete dye.

wednesday - Erin Hills (36)TBD

Thursday - Lawsonia Links (36)7am tee time 9/13/18

Friday - Sand Valley/Mamouth Dunes - 7am SV, 12 MD 9/14/18

^how is this?

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

^^^This is what I needed to hear and got me thinking I may do Lawsonia links 36x on thursday and 1 round erin hill on friday. Or 2 rounds erin hills on thursday and 1 round lawsonia friday. My final destination is st paul for the wedding so whatever is easier.

Lawsonia has a great play all day rate. Think it's $135. With that you can play the Links 2x and still have time to play their also impressive Woodlands course.

yeah I saw that, if that happens I would switch it. Now is erin hills a 36 type of day or would I get bored after my first time around? One of the big perks is Sand Valley has two courses and replay rate on two different course is a plus for me.

I think I made up my mind... Kohler has to wait till next time or never. I'm kind of anti-pete dye.

Thursday - Lawsonia Links (36)7am tee time

Friday - Sand Valley/Mamouth Dunes - 7am SV, 12 MD

^how is this?

Hope you're in good walking shape. Erin Hills is about an 8 mile walk and every tee box is 4 stories above ground, just about every green is elevated as well. Very hard walk.

As I mentioned earlier, you'll get the all day rate at Lawsonia so take advantage and play both of their courses. But definitely get 2 shots in at the Links. You'll want revenge for all the shots you screwed up because you didn't have local knowledge the first time around.

I should be fine walking erin hills 2x. I'll get a caddie to lessen the load. I think I will enjoy erin hills the most tbh.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

^how is this?

Given that you are contemplating 108 holes in 3 days I would conclude: A) you are younger than me by half, B) you are a stud who runs marathons during lunch and C) you are friggin' nuts. But, go for it! Erin will, without question, be your toughest walk. Long and at points steep. Green to tee can require a sherpa. If you are at all inclined to hedge, play Erin in the morning and then within a stone's throw is Washington County. Really nice muni and usually in excellent condition.

^how is this?

Given that you are contemplating 108 holes in 3 days I would conclude: A) you are younger than me by half, B) you are a stud who runs marathons during lunch and C) you are friggin' nuts. But, go for it! Erin will, without question, be your toughest walk. Long and at points steep. Green to tee can require a sherpa. If you are at all inclined to hedge, play Erin in the morning and then within a stone's throw is Washington County. Really nice muni and usually in excellent condition.

haha. I'm on higher side of mid 30s and I used to run half marathons down here at disney on 3-4 days "practice" before my knees gave ways. (funny story, but my attorney signed me up for a half marathon which I didn't know about. This was years ago. Got a text from her on friday for the saturday morning run. Went to downtown to "train" that evening. Ran a couple miles and said "eff it". Went home to sleep; woke up next day and finished the race before her.)

I just got back from walking muirfield(and 90 holes in 3 days) and my good friend said that was a hike(not really). I could have walked muirfield twice but ran out of daylight since our tee time was too late.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

^how is this?

I'd be in to play Lawsonia Links on thursday! Hit me up. Also Sand valley has alot of holes that are closed/temporary. If I were to make a suggestion I'd check out The Bull .

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

^how is this?

I'd be in to play Lawsonia Links on thursday! Hit me up. Also Sand valley has alot of holes that are closed/temporary. If I were to make a suggestion I'd check out The Bull .

incoming PM, I'll add you to our 7am tee time!

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x