2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Alright guys, need some help. Planning my golf trip and just found out Washington County and Brown Deer are about unavailable on 8/9, the day my buddies fly in to Milwaukee.

So we need another course. Plane lands at 12:15. Ideally, something that is somewhat on the way to Green Lake since that is our home base. But, that said, we don't mind driving a bit out of the way if need be. 2 years ago we played the Bull on the same fly in day and that's definitely out of the way from Green Lake.

Any suggestions? What about that one course with the long indian sounding name that's supposed to be a hidden gem?

I was recently persuaded to stay at sand valley for two days.

Did you cut something else in the process?

Seems odd to stay at SV for 2 days when they only have 1 course fully open.

I'm going to cut out Erin Hills and Play Sand Valley for 2 days and Lawesonia Links the 3rd day. Both course are officially opened and the temp greens should be gone by then.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Not sure what you mean by this. There are technically three courses open if you include The Sandbox. Even if you don't, both SV and MD are open. And then, if you don't include SV due to the temporary greens, he didn't mention anything about when he's going. So by the time he gets there, everything could be normal at SV.

Edit: I forgot he mentioned September in an earlier post. Everything will be fine by then, which makes you post even more odd. (You're super knowledgeable about WI golf, which is why I'm confused by your statement.)

Not sure what you mean by this. There are technically three courses open if you include The Sandbox. Even if you don't, both SV and MD are open. And then, if you don't include SV due to the temporary greens, he didn't mention anything about when he's going. So by the time he gets there, everything could be normal at SV.

Edit: I forgot he mentioned September in an earlier post. Everything will be fine by then, which makes you post even more odd. (You're super knowledgeable about WI golf, which is why I'm confused by your statement.)

I was told when I called a few weeks ago that there would still be temp greens at SV in mid August and possibly into September. I don't count the par 3 as a golf course, just an extra attraction at the resort. Therefore, I would only say that one of the two courses (MD) is fully open. And from what we've heard, MD has slow greens. That's why it seemed odd to me to spend a couple days there, especially given the ample high level alternatives. Personally, I'm holding off on taking the trip to SV until it's up and running at 100%. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money on golf I want it see the place at it's best.

Not sure why you found my post odd. You even stated in your post that people might not include the Sandbox since it's a par 3 which only leaves 2 courses, one of which has temp greens right now. Hence, only one fully functioning golf course on the site as of today.

What way are you planning on going? 41 to 23 and over?

Trying to rack my brain......check out the other Milwaukee threads for ideas. Played Lawsonia then Wild Rock yesterday....great great day of golf. Today we played Old Hickory in Beaver Dam....really liked it, very much an old school, tree lined course with doglegs and smallish greens. Greens were in marvelous shape and they were rolling them, so pretty quick. In good shape, but I would not bring a bunch of buddies to play it who expect top end golf.

Then we wanted to play Wash Co. but they were booked up to Jr. League....we went to Broadlands which is in North Prairie. Fairly wide open, links style, some really nice elevation change, with big greens that are easy to read. In pretty good condition. Glad I played both courses today......will be annual courses to play when in the area.

Re, really long Indian sounding name, lol, Nagawaukee? Quic qui oc? Mascoutin?

had to switch my flights arriving wednesday morning at 9am

Wednesday - Erin Hills (18) 1:26pm

Thursday - Lawsonia Links (36)

Friday - Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes (36)

Part of me want to go to sand valley and stay there on thursday and friday. I had called whistling and for the month of september they required a minimum 2 night stay at the resort. But they will also allow public pay 2 weeks out. I could still switch erin hills for whistling strait.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

had to switch my flights arriving wednesday morning at 9am

Wednesday - Erin Hills (18) 1:26pm

Thursday - Lawsonia Links (36)

Friday - Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes (36)

Part of me want to go to sand valley and stay there on thursday and friday. I had called whistling and for the month of september they required a minimum 2 night stay at the resort. But they will also allow public pay 2 weeks out. I could still switch erin hills for whistling strait.

Kick-a** lineup...I've played LL many times and love it....look fwd to your thoughts on LL and the others as well as how you think LL stacks up!

Is the Bog worth playing? Need a course to play Thursday afternoon when my buddies fly in. We usually hit up Washington County, but they have an outing. Tried Brown Deer but they have the Symetra Tour.

I feel like I've seen more negative than positive about the Bog on here over the years. Is it decent enough to play as the warm up course for the weekend? We often do a 27 hole 2 man scramble type format the first day unless the course is really really nice in which case we will play our own ball.

Is the Bog worth playing? Need a course to play Thursday afternoon when my buddies fly in. We usually hit up Washington County, but they have an outing. Tried Brown Deer but they have the Symetra Tour.

I feel like I've seen more negative than positive about the Bog on here over the years. Is it decent enough to play as the warm up course for the weekend? We often do a 27 hole 2 man scramble type format the first day unless the course is really really nice in which case we will play our own ball.

The bog is a decent track. Another track I would push would be Fire Ridge. Pretty solid track as well. I played in the State Am when it was held at The Bog and it was very challenging. Some interesting holes to say the least. Fire Ridge is much more straight forward.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Looking for some info on Sand Valley, How are the greens rolling and are the courses in great shape or just soso?

Went up to Sand Valley and played Mammoth Dunes on 7/27. Phenomenal course, experience, facilities and atmosphere. Entire resort is open and fully functioning (including all Sand Valley greens). Got one of the Junior caddies, he was great. He looped an early morning round so he had the course layout locked down that day. Greens roll true with good pace. They are not tour speeds, as they obviously are young with no reason to stress them too much. With the contouring on these greens though, I wonder how much quicker they'll actually make them. Extremely fun course to play, so many options to make creative, fun shots. Stay out of the sand though - the dense natural sand definitely plays as a hazard. Could not have been a better day and have no regrets spending $300 on a two month old course.

If you are in the Milwaukee area this weekend (8/11-12) and would like to see some really good live golf, the Symetra Tour is playing at Brown Deer. No crowds, no charge, great weather and some ladies who can really bring it.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Will be in Sheboygan area next weekend with time only for a quick nine

I plan on playing Quit Qi Oc’s glacial nine

Has anyone played it?

Will Be staying in Kiel, so it’s only 5-6 miles from the course

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Cool. Yeah, that looks like a long walk from 1-2

I’m looking forward to it

Looks like a fun little course with some nice elevation changes

I’ll be playing early Sunday afternoon

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Playing Timber Ridge tomorrow and trying to follow it up with a round at St. Germain on Sunday. I’ve only played Timber Ridge from the whites and will be playing it all the way back so I’m curious to see how much more difficult it will play.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

guys, is whistling strait seriously a 5.5 hour round? I called them to make a tee time. Yes yes I know but I figure while in ROME. =P

i might just have to change my flight and get in their tuesday night.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

It is. Tee times are spread out so it’s not as frustrating as it could be, but it’s slow, people like to take photos, lots of bunkers, etc.

thanks bud

I already changed my flight to tuesday night arrival an hour ago.

Wednesday - Lawsonia 7am, Erin Hills at 220pm

Thursday - Whistling at 7:50am (pending on how long it takes to finish I may be able to play the Irish course afterwards)

Friday - Sand Valley 730am, Mammoth at 1pm

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

It is. Tee times are spread out so it’s not as frustrating as it could be, but it’s slow, people like to take photos, lots of bunkers, etc.

thanks bud

Thursday - Whistling at 7:50am (pending on how long it takes to finish I may be able to play the Irish course afterwards)

Irish also a 5 hour round FYI. But like others have said, its not because you're waiting on shots so it's not annoying.

thanks bud

Irish also a 5 hour round FYI. But like others have said, its not because you're waiting on shots so it's not annoying.

yeah, i'm not there to take pictures... i might be annoyed.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

thanks bud

yeah, i'm not there to take pictures... i might be annoyed.

taking pictures is basically the whole point of playing the Straits.

haha! Come on, I bet there's something more than that. It can not possibly be that high ranked year after year for just being eye candy.

Turning out to be a quick bucket list trip if there ever was one. My wife is a very understanding woman.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I played the Glacial Nine at Quit Qui Oc this past Sunday and really enjoyed it.

$21.50 for the greens fee and $8.50 for the cart

very reasonable, and the greens were in nice shape and I loved the elevation changes and the par 5's (2 and 7).

18 is a good challenge from the tips 435 with a diagonal water carry on the drive, which you can bite off as much as you want.

I only had time for 9 and I'm glad I chose the Glacial Nine.

On the westernmost holes (2,3 and 4), I could hear the cars racing over at Road America, pretty cool

TM TP5x

TM TP5x