2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Let's talk about your in season workout routine

Another tip is to do your workouts in a 8-12 rep range. No sense in burning yourself by doing burnouts during golf season. Plenty of time for more power lifting style workouts in the off-season.

The last thing powerlifters are doing is burn out sets.

No point worrying about amino acids. If you eat enough protein you pretty much always get the amino acids you need. The benefit outside of that hasn't been shown.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tip is to do your workouts in a 8-12 rep range. No sense in burning yourself by doing burnouts during golf season. Plenty of time for more power lifting style workouts in the off-season.

Reps are only one variable. %RM, total volume and between set rest will probably be more important to consider tweaking.

Personally, I would rethink your goals. If you're lifting for general reasons and to assist golf and not specifically to train for a competition, then make it about golf. Set a schedule and work out hard enough that you're still fine to hit balls the next day. You really don't need to wipe yourself out to get a training effect as PL and BB concepts may lead you to believe.

Reps are one variable but if you are doing 8-12 reps and NOT lifting to exhaustion in sets then that will make a big difference.

Agreed, thats why I said that.

%RM = percentage of rep max, meaning you generally lift a % of the maximum you can do for that rep range.

So, in essence, don't lift to the point of exhaustion? Typically, I would aim for the last 2 reps to be extremely difficult. I would try to stick within a 6-8 rep window. So, maybe go for more reps, but don't push to the point of near failure?

More reps will burn you out more than less reps will.

The last thing powerlifters are doing is burn out sets.

No point worrying about amino acids. If you eat enough protein you pretty much always get the amino acids you need. The benefit outside of that hasn't been shown.

Powerlifters don't do burn out sets.........? Okay then. If you eat enough protein sure but amino acids at the very least provide your body energy throughout the day

That is too general of a statement. You don't know the weights he is using on those reps comparatively. The 8-12 rep range gives you more reps with good form more than likely as opposed to 3-4 good reps and 1-2 reps where form is compromised. I don't really see a point in sub 6 or so rep sets unless you want to keep up with your personal best 1 rep max every month or two.

That is too general of a statement. You don't know the weights he is using on those reps comparatively. The 8-12 rep range gives you more reps with good form more than likely as opposed to 3-4 good reps and 1-2 reps where form is compromised. I don't really see a point in sub 6 or so rep sets unless you want to keep up with your personal best 1 rep max every month or two.

5 rep sets are the epitome of athletic training. 8-12 is for hypertrophy.

It's more than likely a result of you still being new to your lifting regimen and 10 minute quick half bucket is nowhere near sufficient to get 100% mobile for golf. 5 months in is still new and I'm not sure where you live but I'm assuming you haven't been playing golf consistently that entire time. Lifting weights and adding muscle and getting stronger without picking up and swinging a golf club multiple times a week is where the negative effect myth of lifting weights comes from.

I am also 34 and lift heavy during the golf season the same as I do year round. Your body will adapt. I actually play better after I lift and don't need to warm up as much. Granted I'm not going to lift heavy the day off or day before a tournament but I will lift heavy and go hit the range during the week.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Bodybuilders do burn out sets. Do you know the difference?

Amino acids are not providing your body energy day to day.

Not sure what your deal with discrediting amino acids is. If the guy is routinely sore, I listed a bunch of possibilities and yes amino acids can provide your body energy. On your first part, burnout sets are the much more efficient way to go unless you've already been lifting for years and years.

Limit bread, rice, pasta and sugar. This will severely help you lose the gut and the swing will become easier as well as your workouts. I did this since Jan and have lost 20 pounds and gained about 30 yards with less effort. Went from a 10 to a 7 as well. Less weight makes it easier to turn and no fatigue. My body is just more efficient. I owe it completely to diet change.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Not sure what your deal with discrediting amino acids is. If the guy is routinely sore, I listed a bunch of possibilities and yes amino acids can provide your body energy. On your first part, burnout sets are the much more efficient way to go unless you've already been lifting for years and years.

Wait so now you are saying he should do burnout sets? Efficient for what? How I train a bodybuilder is different than how I train a powerlifter is different than how I train Rory is different than I train Joe 5 handicap weekend warrior who wants to get in better shape. If you're trying to be a bodybuilder, yes burn out sets are great. If you're trying to be a golfer not so much.

Yes the body can use AA for energy. It's called gluconeogenesis. The part you were wrong about is it occurring day to day basis. It's not unless you're constantly deleted calorie wise.

Limit bread, rice, pasta and sugar. This will severely help you lose the gut and the swing will become easier as well as your workouts. I did this since Jan and have lost 20 pounds and gained about 30 yards with less effort. Went from a 10 to a 7 as well. Less weight makes it easier to turn and no fatigue. My body is just more efficient. I owe it completely to diet change.

Oh, my gut is pretty much under control now. Not saying I don't plan on losing more. But, I'm at the point now where I am not carrying a large calorie deficit each day anymore. I initially kept myself to a 500-1000 deficit each day. While it helped cut the fat, it really effected my strength gains. I found myself becoming exhausted very easily and finally backed off once my weight plateaued. Now, I am sticking to around my BMR as far as calories in are concerned.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

It's more than likely a result of you still being new to your lifting regimen and 10 minute quick half bucket is nowhere near sufficient to get 100% mobile for golf. 5 months in is still new and I'm not sure where you live but I'm assuming you haven't been playing golf consistently that entire time. Lifting weights and adding muscle and getting stronger without picking up and swinging a golf club multiple times a week is where the negative effect myth of lifting weights comes from.

I am also 34 and lift heavy during the golf season the same as I do year round. Your body will adapt. I actually play better after I lift and don't need to warm up as much. Granted I'm not going to lift heavy the day off or day before a tournament but I will lift heavy and go hit the range during the week.

Oh yes. I am by far still a beginner. I played a 9 hole sim league for 2.5 months, but hardly enough to be considered consistently.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Wait so now you are saying he should do burnout sets? Efficient for what? How I train a bodybuilder is different than how I train a powerlifter is different than how I train Rory is different than I train Joe 5 handicap weekend warrior who wants to get in better shape. If you're trying to be a bodybuilder, yes burn out sets are great. If you're trying to be a golfer not so much.

Yes the body can use AA for energy. It's called gluconeogenesis. The part you were wrong about is it occurring day to day basis. It's not unless you're constantly deleted calorie wise.

Okay, in a perfect world burnout sets are the more efficient way to get started if you are in decent physical shape. If not, use a beginner routine and get yourself there. Burn out sets are fine for golf if you treat your body properly outside of the gym IMO. I assume most golfers that are working out ARE constantly deleted calorie wise due to trying to lose the "golfer body" so AA's are effective for energy. Powerlifting is great but it'll put a beginner on a slower path than the other way.

A lot of what will work best for you depends on your age and just how much time you have. I'm 47 with a job, wife, and kid so I'm really limited on time if I want to be able to play golf. For me, I only work-out hard in the golf off-season (December - Feb @ 6 days a week). Once I can golf again, I've found I can maintain a decent amount of my gains using only 1-2 workouts of mostly compound exercise per week, with some HIIT cardio and stretching/yoga thrown in where I can.

As I've gotten older, I've also found that making sure I have the proper amount of rest between workouts is as important as the workout itself. Golf is such a time-sink that it's important to be realistic on what you can accomplish given the other time constraints you might have.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

A lot of what will work best for you depends on your age and just how much time you have. I'm 47 with a job, wife, and kid so I'm really limited on time if I want to be able to play golf. For me, I only work-out hard in the golf off-season (December - Feb @ 6 days a week). Once I can golf again, I've found I can maintain a decent amount of my gains using only 1-2 workouts of mostly compound exercise per week, with some HIIT cardio and stretching/yoga thrown in where I can.

As I've gotten older, I've also found that making sure I have the proper amount of rest between workouts is as important as the workout itself. Golf is such a time-sink that it's important to be realistic on what you can accomplish given the other time constraints you might have.

35 with a wife and two kids. My girls are getting to an age that really makes it hard to make plans. It seems like they have something going on every night of the week now. Makes it hard to golf as well as get to the gym.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Okay, in a perfect world burnout sets are the more efficient way to get started if you are in decent physical shape. If not, use a beginner routine and get yourself there. Burn out sets are fine for golf if you treat your body properly outside of the gym IMO. I assume most golfers that are working out ARE constantly deleted calorie wise due to trying to lose the "golfer body" so AA's are effective for energy. Powerlifting is great but it'll put a beginner on a slower path than the other way.

Amino acids for energy? Really? Aminos have next to no calories. And they aren't a stimulant. Where's the energy coming from?

In golf I would think you need to be more flexible. So my advice would be to scale back on the heavy lifting, change it to light reps.

I was thinking of looking into a good routine for myself soon.

Im thinking yoga also and tons of stretching. Light dumbell lifts, maybe squats without weights at first.

None of the PGA stars look like they heavy lift any more. Except for maybe jason day.

Amino acids for energy? Really? Aminos have next to no calories. And they aren't a stimulant. Where's the energy coming from?

Assumed I didn't have to spell out BCAA but maybe that answers it.

There should be some type of prerequisite testing to keep people from giving advice in these fitness topics who have absolutely zero knowledge or experience in the matter.

Piretti Savona 

There should be some type of prerequisite testing to keep people from giving advice in these fitness topics who have absolutely zero knowledge or experience in the matter.

Going to assume you aren't talking to me. BCAA's are a perfectly fine source of energy and don't hurt in the recovery process either

It is like 6 calories a gram depending on which of the three amino acid in bcaas you're talking about.

So again, there is almost no calories and no stimulant. So where is this huge calorie surplus coming from?

Going to assume you aren't talking to me. BCAA's are a perfectly fine source of energy and don't hurt in the recovery process either

It was rhetorical. Lots commenting that don't know what they're talking about.

But in short, No, BCAA's are not a perfectly fine source of energy. They are anabolic aminos that help in muscle endurance, recovery, growth, etc. Just because they can help in reducing muscular fatigue during workout isn't the same as being a good source of energy.

Piretti Savona 

Yeah because the 95% of gym Bros who spin their wheels doing a split that you see at every commercial gym, that's clearly fast progress. Literally every commercial gym is filled with these guys.

Pl type training is quickest most effective for most amount of people. Squat 225x5 to adequate depth and I promise your body will change. Can be done in 3 months on starting strength. That will get you a hell of a lot further than 3 months of bro splits

It's the Internet. I don't think anyone here is a PGA Medical Doctor. They have better things to do than argue with people who haven't had 10+years in training and school before society deems them worthy to help other humans. These are the experts.

Also take everything on the Internet with a few grains of salt. A lot of mis information due to people's agendas and egos.

OP, are you repping deadlifts? What's your rep scheme for squats? Do you do high bar, or low bar?

The best way to see if Yoga is for you is to try a class. Vinyasa Yoga is a good place to start.

I switch to light beer during golf season

The reason people drink heavy during golf season is to avoid injury.

OP, are you repping deadlifts? What's your rep scheme for squats? Do you do high bar, or low bar?

The best way to see if Yoga is for you is to try a class. Vinyasa Yoga is a good place to start.

I switch to light beer during golf season

The reason people drink heavy during golf season is to avoid injury.

I tried to see what I could fit into my lunch schedule today hoping to give myself an opportunity to get some better sleep this evening.

Today was squat day I went in with the mind set of not wearing myself out completely and aimed to get 8 good reps in with a little fuel left in the tank. Typically I would push myself on weight a little more. I would do 3 warmup sets, most recently I did 3 sets of 215 for 5 reps. But, by the end, I was pushing real hard. It was tough to finish. Trust me, I am by no means setting any weight records, and that's not really my goal. I am just looking to be able to lift more than I could the week before.

Today I did 3 warm up sets of 8. Barbell only, then 95, then 135. From there, I went 3 sets of 185 at 8 reps taking it really slow focusing on form. Then finished with one set of 12 at 135. Had enough time to basically cycle through between squat, calf raises, and roman chair for some ab work.

I feel like I really needed an additional half hour to hit up a few more leg exercises. I decided to get in a few minutes of stretching rather than pushing another exercise in.

Oh, by the way, I think it's high bar. To be honest, I didn't really know there was a variation. I had to look it up online to know :) As I said, still a newbie!

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS