Let's talk about your in season workout routine

Bodybuilders do burn out sets. Do you know the difference?

Amino acids are not providing your body energy day to day.

Not sure what your deal with discrediting amino acids is. If the guy is routinely sore, I listed a bunch of possibilities and yes amino acids can provide your body energy. On your first part, burnout sets are the much more efficient way to go unless you've already been lifting for years and years.

Wait so now you are saying he should do burnout sets? Efficient for what? How I train a bodybuilder is different than how I train a powerlifter is different than how I train Rory is different than I train Joe 5 handicap weekend warrior who wants to get in better shape. If you're trying to be a bodybuilder, yes burn out sets are great. If you're trying to be a golfer not so much.

Yes the body can use AA for energy. It's called gluconeogenesis. The part you were wrong about is it occurring day to day basis. It's not unless you're constantly deleted calorie wise.

Okay, in a perfect world burnout sets are the more efficient way to get started if you are in decent physical shape. If not, use a beginner routine and get yourself there. Burn out sets are fine for golf if you treat your body properly outside of the gym IMO. I assume most golfers that are working out ARE constantly deleted calorie wise due to trying to lose the "golfer body" so AA's are effective for energy. Powerlifting is great but it'll put a beginner on a slower path than the other way.

Yeah because the 95% of gym Bros who spin their wheels doing a split that you see at every commercial gym, that's clearly fast progress. Literally every commercial gym is filled with these guys.

Pl type training is quickest most effective for most amount of people. Squat 225x5 to adequate depth and I promise your body will change. Can be done in 3 months on starting strength. That will get you a hell of a lot further than 3 months of bro splits

What are Bro Splits??

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wendlers 5/3/1 and I find it challenging in the gym but it allows for good recovery. I don't change anything during the season. Probably because after doing the big lift(squat,bench, dead, overhead press) each day the assistance lifts compliment the main lift and usually work another part of the body. Very different and much better than the typical bro split.

Perhaps we need to get an idea of what type and volume of accessory/additional lifts you are doing each day. That's probably where the problem lies. Swapping some of them up with other days will probably fix your issues

OP, are you repping deadlifts? What's your rep scheme for squats? Do you do high bar, or low bar?

The best way to see if Yoga is for you is to try a class. Vinyasa Yoga is a good place to start.

I switch to light beer during golf season

The reason people drink heavy during golf season is to avoid injury.

I tried to see what I could fit into my lunch schedule today hoping to give myself an opportunity to get some better sleep this evening.

Today was squat day I went in with the mind set of not wearing myself out completely and aimed to get 8 good reps in with a little fuel left in the tank. Typically I would push myself on weight a little more. I would do 3 warmup sets, most recently I did 3 sets of 215 for 5 reps. But, by the end, I was pushing real hard. It was tough to finish. Trust me, I am by no means setting any weight records, and that's not really my goal. I am just looking to be able to lift more than I could the week before.

Today I did 3 warm up sets of 8. Barbell only, then 95, then 135. From there, I went 3 sets of 185 at 8 reps taking it really slow focusing on form. Then finished with one set of 12 at 135. Had enough time to basically cycle through between squat, calf raises, and roman chair for some ab work.

I feel like I really needed an additional half hour to hit up a few more leg exercises. I decided to get in a few minutes of stretching rather than pushing another exercise in.

Oh, by the way, I think it's high bar. To be honest, I didn't really know there was a variation. I had to look it up online to know :) As I said, still a newbie!

If you're trying to increase your strength, I'm not sure this is the best routine. This seems more like a 'look in the mirror' program. And that's fine, if that's what you want, but this is wearing you out, yeah?

A bro split is when you hit certain part of your body each day. Like today is leg day, tomorrow is chest, then shoulders, bis tris, back, etc. Its mainly a bodybuilding routine focusing on isolation of muscles. It works for people who have developed a foundation already or are very dedicated and hardworking. But for newbies it's usually a recipe for disaster and they spin their wheels. It's what majorities of guys in commercial gyms do.

The opposite is a compound movement based routine such as starting strength, 5/3/1 which are based on movements like squat bench and deadlift. This usually works well for most people starting out.

A bro split is when you hit certain part of your body each day. Like today is leg day, tomorrow is chest, then shoulders, bis tris, back, etc. Its mainly a bodybuilding routine focusing on isolation of muscles. It works for people who have developed a foundation already or are very dedicated and hardworking. But for newbies it's usually a recipe for disaster and they spin their wheels. It's what majorities of guys in commercial gyms do.

The opposite is a compound movement based routine such as starting strength, 5/3/1 which are based on movements like squat bench and deadlift. This usually works well for most people starting out.

I get ya. I probably used the wrong term. My routine is Upper body on Wednesday, Lower on Thursday, Friday is running, Saturday Upper body, and Sunday lower. Monday is running, Tuesday is golf league.

I will alternate what I do on my upper body days. For instance, I may bench Wednesday with inclined dumbell press, fly's, dips, and bent over rows. Thursday would be barbell squat, calf raises, lunges, goblet squats, deadlifts and ab work. Saturday would be over head press, lat pull downs, and bicep and tricep work, and back and shoulder variations. Sunday would be goblet squats, lunges, calf raises, leg presses, and stair stepper.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Been working out since HS. Due to various activities, regimes varied based on activities that I won't t go into. I've slowed since taking up golf. Now its every other day, 1hr+ calisthenics, gym workouts using various weight machines, multiple reps, 120-150 sit ups with 60lbs on chest, 30 min on Elliptical and 20-50 mi road cycle when golf and family time allows. :beach: Its part of my life and keeps me going.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Limit bread, rice, pasta and sugar. This will severely help you lose the gut and the swing will become easier as well as your workouts. I did this since Jan and have lost 20 pounds and gained about 30 yards with less effort. Went from a 10 to a 7 as well. Less weight makes it easier to turn and no fatigue. My body is just more efficient. I owe it completely to diet change.

Oh, my gut is pretty much under control now. Not saying I don't plan on losing more. But, I'm at the point now where I am not carrying a large calorie deficit each day anymore. I initially kept myself to a 500-1000 deficit each day. While it helped cut the fat, it really effected my strength gains. I found myself becoming exhausted very easily and finally backed off once my weight plateaued. Now, I am sticking to around my BMR as far as calories in are concerned.

I'm not talking about limiting calories but eating differently. Basically you replace he carbs with fats (avocados, cheese, peanut butter) and eat more protein. You actually gain tons of energy and aren't depriving your body of anything (except sugars). Just to clarify. :)

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Limit bread, rice, pasta and sugar. This will severely help you lose the gut and the swing will become easier as well as your workouts. I did this since Jan and have lost 20 pounds and gained about 30 yards with less effort. Went from a 10 to a 7 as well. Less weight makes it easier to turn and no fatigue. My body is just more efficient. I owe it completely to diet change.

Oh, my gut is pretty much under control now. Not saying I don't plan on losing more. But, I'm at the point now where I am not carrying a large calorie deficit each day anymore. I initially kept myself to a 500-1000 deficit each day. While it helped cut the fat, it really effected my strength gains. I found myself becoming exhausted very easily and finally backed off once my weight plateaued. Now, I am sticking to around my BMR as far as calories in are concerned.

I'm not talking about limiting calories but eating differently. Basically you replace he carbs with fats (avocados, cheese, peanut butter) and eat more protein. You actually gain tons of energy and aren't depriving your body of anything (except sugars). Just to clarify. :)

Oh, I hear you. I still have to get some carbs in my diet on workout days. Otherwise I feel really weak. My diet isn't really all that scientific. I started off by tracking all of my meals on the app for my Samsung Gear Fit2.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Oh, I hear you. I still have to get some carbs in my diet on workout days. Otherwise I feel really weak. My diet isn't really all that scientific. I started off by tracking all of my meals on the app for my Samsung Gear Fit2.

As for workout stuff I've really strengthened my legs with squats, hamstring curls and presses. Also pull ups and rows to really strengthen the back but the best thing is throwing a 12 pound soft medicine ball overhead on to the ground and left/right side into a wall. It really mimics a golf move and freaks everyone out at the gym at the same time.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

For you younger guys, with children, wives, jobs... busy! If I could go back to me at your age, I'd tell me to focus on flexibility/range of motion, intense brief stuff to get heart rate up, and diet above all else. Strength would be subordinated to the time I had left over.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

For you younger guys, with children, wives, jobs... busy! If I could go back to me at your age, I'd tell me to focus on flexibility/range of motion, intense brief stuff to get heart rate up, and diet above all else. Strength would be subordinated to the time I had left over.

100% agree. I wish I had a better diet when I was younger but it is what it is!

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

The diet is something I'm still trying to balance. I don't want to live my life documenting every calorie I eat. But, until it becomes easy to say no to certain foods without hesitation, it's the only way I can stay on track. Also, not that I drink a lot, but I've drastically cut down how much beer I drink. I really only drink beer on social occasions and usually only a couple before I cut myself off. Drinking too much the day before makes my workout the next day torture.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I do wendlers 5/3/1 and I find it challenging in the gym but it allows for good recovery. I don't change anything during the season. Probably because after doing the big lift(squat,bench, dead, overhead press) each day the assistance lifts compliment the main lift and usually work another part of the body. Very different and much better than the typical bro split.

Perhaps we need to get an idea of what type and volume of accessory/additional lifts you are doing each day. That's probably where the problem lies. Swapping some of them up with other days will probably fix your issues

I checked out the Wendlers 5/3/1 plan and it looks really intriguing. I may look into starting that up. Looks fairly easy to follow.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I checked out the Wendlers 5/3/1 plan and it looks really intriguing. I may look into starting that up. Looks fairly easy to follow.

It is easy to follow, but I find it to be challenging to accomplish. The boring but big variation is tough IMO.

Also re the diet stuff. I know a lot of people swear by keto and avoiding carbs. I followed it religiously for 8 weeks and didn't notice any difference compared to any other diet. But I know others have a great response to it

Problem is one of the following IMO:

1. Not enough sleep/rest/relaxation outside of lifting and golf

2. Not enough protein/calories in diet

3. Not enough water/amino acids

3b. Supplement with amino acids/pre-workout/whatever it takes

4. Not stretching the areas you just worked out enough

I say this because as a 25 year old, I would frequently lift weights after work (3-4 days a week) from 4-5 and then go hit balls from 6-8 last season and be fine. Of course I also had an umbilical hernia pop up in the later summer last year but its possible to feel good after working out (even days later)

In my case, stretching and protein intake should be covered. Could probably use a little more sleep. Getting around 7 hours a night.

Up to this point, I've been supplement free. I guess, I always thought protein was the best option for muscle recovery.

I don't think after the workout would be an issue for me either, I usually feel pretty good after (squat and deadlift day being an exception). It's the days after. Maybe my stretching isn't as good as I thought?

Tough to pinpoint but I'd experiment with supplements like amino acids (Optimal Nutrition is what I take) and try to get 8+ hours of sleep at minimum.

Agreed. Had the exact same problem. Started working out this past January and my body was almost always still "recovering" in between workouts and scheduling golf was tough.

Taking a BCAA supplement has really helped with recovery speed, for me.

If anybody is working out regularly and eating clean there's really no reason to limit your carbohydrate intake. Carbs are the body's main source of energy (not talking pizza and subs), if you're restricting carbs (and calories) you're going to be tired and your body will be fatigued physically and mentally, which also puts you at increased risk of injury.

OP, are you taking in 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of bodyweight? If you're working out and playing golf that often that's really what you should be shooting for at minimum. My diet looks like the following 2003 cals, 210 g of carbs, 43 g fat, 204 g protein daily. Lift 5 days/week run 3-4 times per week, 1 day completely off from lifting/running. As others mentioned BCAA's are great for recovery. Drink lots of water. Stretch. Ice if need be and take advil, ibuprofen, etc. to reduce inflammation.

I don't think you need to do 3 warm up sets before you squat. Some walking or slow jogging or 1 light set to get warm and a brief stretch is all you need to adequately loosen up.

TPowell is on the right track:

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

I workout 6 days a week as well as either play a round of golf or hit balls every day. I have found it is absolutely vital to stretch more than you workout. I try to stretch at least 2 times a day. On days I lift really heavy i focus on stretching the muscles I just lifted in between sets. This keeps me from getting too tight which will impact my golf swing. I workout my core more than any other muscles and I always do a cardio workout at the end to flush everything out. If you don't have time for cardio and have a couple dollars to throw around I would look into getting a normatech. Its a machine that uses compression on a specific area that will flush out the area you need. Of coarse it is pricey but so worth it. I have one with both arm attachments that flush out my shoulders upper back and arms and it is a life saver for recovery. Also make sure you are staying hydrated and it wouldnt hurt to add an amino acid supplement to your daily regimen. If you have any questions just PM me.

Regardless of age, exercise, including cardio every other day, and eat what you want, just in moderation.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

If anybody is working out regularly and eating clean there's really no reason to limit your carbohydrate intake. Carbs are the body's main source of energy (not talking pizza and subs), if you're restricting carbs (and calories) you're going to be tired and your body will be fatigued physically and mentally, which also puts you at increased risk of injury.

OP, are you taking in 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of bodyweight? If you're working out and playing golf that often that's really what you should be shooting for at minimum. My diet looks like the following 2003 cals, 210 g of carbs, 43 g fat, 204 g protein daily. Lift 5 days/week run 3-4 times per week, 1 day completely off from lifting/running. As others mentioned BCAA's are great for recovery. Drink lots of water. Stretch. Ice if need be and take advil, ibuprofen, etc. to reduce inflammation.

I don't think you need to do 3 warm up sets before you squat. Some walking or slow jogging or 1 light set to get warm and a brief stretch is all you need to adequately loosen up.

I try to get that much protein, but it can be difficult. I will typically take in around 200 carbs and between 150-180 grams of protein on lifting days. I will look into BCAA supplements. A guy I went to high school with started his own brand.

https://www.amazon.com/IMMORTAL-MAJESTIC-LEGENDARY-SERVINGS-COMMANDS/dp/B01MYF7X5P/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1494619066&sr=8-1&keywords=norsepower%2Bsupplements&th=1

I definately need to add more running back into the equation.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I feel like strength training is underated to be honest and flexibility overrated. Not to say they aren't important but to say "ignore those barbells son, stick to yoga mats." I'm sorry that is silly. Strength training keeps your body young.

I couldn't tell you a single yoga or pilates move but I do work on a bit of flexibility every day pre and post workout. My workouts are some variation of 5x5 or 5/3/1. I wouldn't tell younger me any different or anyone else I meet , male or female. Unless they wanted to get really serious about some aspect (BB , PL, Xfit).

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I try to get that much protein, but it can be difficult. I will typically take in around 200 carbs and between 150-180 grams of protein on lifting days. I will look into BCAA supplements. A guy I went to high school with started his own brand.

https://www.amazon.c...upplements&th=1

I've seen you mention some things here and there, but when you go are you typically only working one major muscle group?

I was with a trainer who focused on certain areas with, for example, arms only. I switched trainers to a guy that decided to switch that up, we added more functional lifting that uses multiple muscle groups at the same time. I've started to feel a heck of a lot better after lifting. It's also helped my game a little more to do functional work as I've been moving in multiple directions while lifting and I'm working muscles that targeted lifting doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.c...upplements&th=1

I've seen you mention some things here and there, but when you go are you typically only working one major muscle group?

I was with a trainer who focused on certain areas with, for example, arms only. I switched trainers to a guy that decided to switch that up, we added more functional lifting that uses multiple muscle groups at the same time. I've started to feel a heck of a lot better after lifting. It's also helped my game a little more to do functional work as I've been moving in multiple directions while lifting and I'm working muscles that targeted lifting doesn't work.

Depending on how much time I have. I'm not doing full body workouts, but I at least try to work a few areas on my upper body days. For instance at lunch yesterday and did bench, fly's, dips, back extensions, bent over rows, and a couple different ab workouts focusing on rotation rather than a crunch type movement.

On my lower body days, squats, deadlift, and goblet squats hit my core and my legs.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So, after all the great feedback from you guys, I think I will be focusing on two things. Better, more frequent stretching and finding a BCAA for post workout recovery.

In regards to stretching, it may be a silly question, but is there a good resource for some sort of structured stretching routine? I want to make sure I'm stretching the right muscles at the right time to maximize my recovery.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So, after all the great feedback from you guys, I think I will be focusing on two things. Better, more frequent stretching and finding a BCAA for post workout recovery.

In regards to stretching, it may be a silly question, but is there a good resource for some sort of structured stretching routine? I want to make sure I'm stretching the right muscles at the right time to maximize my recovery.

Referring only to the workout here...in season I do primarily 3 full body (mainly compounds)lifts a week with some cardio sprinkled in.

I do one heavy(ish) 1 med, 1 light day. I try to do the heavy day when I know I won't be playing golf for at least the next day or two.

This has worked great for me and I'll be 49 in a month.

Depending on how much time I have. I'm not doing full body workouts, but I at least try to work a few areas on my upper body days. For instance at lunch yesterday and did bench, fly's, dips, back extensions, bent over rows, and a couple different ab workouts focusing on rotation rather than a crunch type movement.

On my lower body days, squats, deadlift, and goblet squats hit my core and my legs.

That's not too bad. The trainer I work with focuses on working with athletes, so he talks quite a bit about how focused targeted lifting isn't always the best. But if you do a lot of that you are also working the stabilizing muscles, and likely engaging the core as well. He's huge into that type of stuff because it better simulates what you are doing most of the time.

Last time I was there we did:

300 meter row

10 medicine ball over the head lifts (dropping it behind me) (40 pound medicine ball)

10 deadlifts (100 pound sandbag)

50 yard farmer carry (70 puund sandbag x2)

30 second break

After that, there's ropes attached to the roof where we did:

15 squat jumps

15 chest pesses

15 rows

30 second break

Repeated each 3 times and took 25 minutes. Mixing full body functional with targeted lifting has felt great to me. It's also kept my interest much more because we do something different each time (I go twice a week to see him). I fill the other days with cardio and yoga. I personally target distance over time when doing cardio. I tend to quite when it's a time thing, but when it's distance I tend to keep my pace better.

He also tells me to eat some just straight up meat within 30 minutes of ending my workout. I keep shredded boiled chicken around and each a small bit afterwords every time. Tastes terrible to be honest.

Exercise is good. I do 5k on the treadmill three times a week then spend 35 minutes on heavy weights--a general body strength program, two sets of 13 reps alternating between opposing muscle groups. Stupidly though, at some point I had changed my routine from seated rows for the back to lat pull downs, so that when I started swinging a club again after many years away I managed to pull my serratus dorsalis after just three range sessions. Now its into week two and only now starting to get better. Stupid unused muscle groups!

On the plus side after a few years of doing this I am much stronger at 47 than at any point in my life, including when a competitive athlete. It will be interesting to see how this translates to handicap reduction over the season.

TaylorMade Burner 2009 9.5*

Ping i20 3W 15*

Ping G30 3H 19*

4-W Ping S55 Modus3 120S

52* Ping Glide

56* Ping Tour Gorge

60* Ping Glide 2 Stealth

Northwestern Tom Weiskopf-303 Anser clone