So the season has started...do you still like your new clubs???

thejuice

I know some of you are just starting your season, but for those of you that have played ten or so rounds with your new clubs, how do you feel about them? I know many of you WRX club junkies have already traded out a few things, but for you non-junkies and reformed junkies, have you off-loaded some stuff already?

I personally love my bag this season. I was a previous Nike guy for the last few years, but the EPIC SZ driver and regular EPIC 3 wood continue to shine for me. I can't say enough about the Srixon 765s. I love them so much so that I'm going to order a "backup" set of Srixon irons (combo set). I almost gave up on the RTX 3.0 wedges because I had the Engage wedges dialed in, BUT, I finally got the RTXs to work for me and they are sweet. The putter has been the club that I've switched out the most. I started the season using my Method 003 (nothing at all wrong with it, just wanted a new putter), then I got an O-Works #9 that I really wanted to love but I sold it just last week. I sold the #9 because I think I've found love with the EVNROLL ER-2.

What say the rest of you? Have you had driver or fw wood woes? Iron woes? Wedge woes? Is your new putter not working for you too?

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it all, would not change a single thing right now, and most is new since last fall.

That Epic hybrid may happen for the OCD, but still hitting the 815 sublime. I hit it twice yesterday, once to 13ft on a long par3, then got home on a par 5 from 200 to 3ft, and saved par after a tee ball in the water.

I love all of my clubs.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I have no issues with my current set up, I just added a new 917 F2, have not taken it out to the course yet but this week will be its true test. My demo that I hit was absolutely awesome and I was starting to lose faith in my M1 wood, that'll be sold and forgotten soon enough lol. I will not change my bag up for a few years at this rate!

Doing a bag overhaul this year. It will be the first time I have changed a club since 2010. But I took about a 3 year hiatus from golf and I've come back a much different player and inevitably, the swing has changed, too. Picked up and EPIC SZ head and put a BiMatrix Tour Prototype 80X in it, grabbed a Ping G30 set at 13.5* in a trade on the BST and have a new wedge setup inbound as we speak (again BST). Next will be some irons to be fitted. After that I am going to determine whether another hybrid or some type of 2 iron / driving iron will fit best at the top end. Only thing I won’t change is my scotty Newport 2 that I got in high school (08).

Part of the change is just the excitement of getting back into the game and I understand that. Hence my phased approach and heavy exposure to the BST to overhaul. I should have an entire overhaul completed for under $600 when its all said and done. Depends on the hybrid decision down the road...

I'd say this is the most excited I've been about irons in several years. The Srixon 745s seem to be the perfect blend of feel and forgiveness. The sole design is by bar the best sole design for me since the old J33 Combos (which had a very similar sole). I'm amazed how how forgiving they are, especially on thin and toe hits.

I tried the RTX 3s but went back to my Callaway JAWS. They spin plenty for me and the sole grind matches my swing perfectly. The RTX 3s have the V-sole like the irons but I still wish they had a little blunted leading edge.

The putter also has been a sleeper. I bought a Method Matter M5-12 Counterflex and didn't like it at 38" so I shortened it to 33.5" and with the heaver head it's been an amazing putter so far. Can't believe I got it new for $55!

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Doing a bag overhaul this year. It will be the first time I have changed a club since 2010. But I took about a 3 year hiatus from golf and I've come back a much different player and inevitably, the swing has changed, too. Picked up and EPIC SZ head and put a BiMatrix Tour Prototype 80X in it, grabbed a Ping G30 set at 13.5* in a trade on the BST and have a new wedge setup inbound as we speak (again BST). Next will be some irons to be fitted. After that I am going to determine whether another hybrid or some type of 2 iron / driving iron will fit best at the top end. Only thing I won’t change is my scotty Newport 2 that I got in high school (08).

Part of the change is just the excitement of getting back into the game and I understand that. Hence my phased approach and heavy exposure to the BST to overhaul. I should have an entire overhaul completed for under $600 when its all said and done. Depends on the hybrid decision down the road...

Complete bag overhauls are fun and bothersome at the same time. I had my Nike clubs all dialed in but wanted a little more distance (without sacrificing control) out of my longer clubs and irons. I think I've achieved that with my current setup.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Juice, I couldn't agree more. This has been fun for me so far because of the anxiousness of playing something new and fresh again and getting serious about my game as I once was. But I know that it will be a one-time thing. I am not really a club ho. I’d rather play than worry so much about my equipment. I will grab some clubs I like in a cost-effective way and stick with them. If I replace anything going forward, it will only be small changes. Even that seems like a pretty slim chance, though…

So enjoying the changes I made last year and this year.

Finally really getting comfortable and hitting the irons well from last year's change from KBS Tours to XP 95s to Recoil 760 ES. That's a lot of weight to drop but man has it helped now that I've made the adjustments.

Took that trend and applied to this year. Epic driver with lighter shaft and less flex has been a good move.

Went from 4W to playing the Bertha Mini 1.5 as my 3w to just now putting the Epic 15 in the bag.

Also replaced 3hy with last year's GBB Heavenwood.

Still maybe a little doubt on putter as I've bounced from my Odyssey ProType 1.5 to Cameron GoLo3 to now the Futura X7. For now its the Futura X7...

All great changes.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Moved from Ping G30 fairways/hybrid to Titleist 917's and love them. Epic driver experiment coming to an unsuccessful close sometime soon.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Started with a set of Steelhead XR's and just couldn't get along with them. Don't know why either as I was coming from the original XR's. Finally got so fed up I went to Apex's and now it's all good. The Steelheads will just sit and wait to be traded on the next set of new Apex's that get released.

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

First round today, finally, with my new set-up. Everything was ok, would have preferred i200s, but right now I didn't have the extra $300. Next time maybe!? ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I went to the Ping G's from the Callaway Diablo Forged and so far I am starting to warm to them. It took a while to dial in the distances, but as they are starting to feel more familiar I am starting to hit them a lot closer (4 birdies on Sunday's round of 77). I also made a switch from DGX100 SS to the KBS Ctapers S+. I just don't have to work so hard to get the Ctapers to go, which is good as I'm starting to get a little older and losing a bit of SS.

Jeff

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

Driver - Loving the Epic SZ and loving it even more with Rombax 5z08

3 Wood - SZ fairway is the best I've ever owned and have a 6z08 coming this week

Hybrid - Put an old Cobra 2008 Baffler Pro w/ speeder and it's stupid amazing

Irons - I don't have to tell you guys how awesome the 765s are.....

Wedges - Tried J15's and Fourteen RM-12's but can't kick the Nike x3x wedges out. I'm used to how heavy they are

Putter - After trying a Huntington Beach 4 and Toulon San Diego a 2013 Betti SS14 might finally kick the MXM #2 out!

Bag - Jones Utility and OUUL waterproof are both awesome bags and stark contrast depending on my mood that day.

Gotta love experimenting

Love my new wedges. Love my new 4 wood. Love my new Crossover.

Dubious whether my new driver is any improvement and ditto my new irons.

My new putter is being very naughty.

That said, my handicap has dropped five shots since last year so something is working.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Love my setup right now, but by no means does that guarantee it'll all stick around. I'm to the point though that my equipment is maximizing my potential, and my absence of a brain at times is the only thing holding me back from breaking par every time out.

I'm really pleased though with every club in my bag (except the 64* wedge - that's gonna take a lot more practice).

I think the shaft changes have made the biggest difference by far though.

I'm still very happy with my new putter (Cleveland Huntington Beach) and fairway wood (Callaway XR16). The new irons are relegated to the garage with the $h1t I haven't gotten around to taking to a thrift store yet.

That Cleveland Huntington Beach series is a VERY under-the-radar good putter! I bought one for my 13 YO son and I want to steal it. Great design, good weight and the feel of the deep milled face is excellent to me.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Although I'm not quite finished rebuilding (started in October) I'm very happy so far. The Apex irons are easy to hit and very straight, and I like that they go up to 55* (set sand wedge, but really just a 12 iron). the TM Spider Tour putter is actually saving me strokes on short putts and the Bertha Mini is the most dependable wood I've ever hit.

Still looking for a lofted wedge for bunkers and trick shots. The Vokeys suddenly scare me, thinking about a Ping Glide or even a Sure-Out

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Like is not the word I'd use to describe how I feel about my new irons... "Love" how they feel is a better word. Unlike club ho's, I don't impulsively or easily change clubs. Still not sure about shafts yet.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On Friday when my Bridgestone driver comes in, everything but putter will be new since last season (well, new to me.)

Switched out MPH4s for Miura PP 9003s. 915 3w/3h to J15 3w/4h, kept the MPH4 4 i.

Scor 53/58. Irons and wedges are new just because I wanted to go graphite shafts and both the steelfibers and the Genius shafts are working for me.

Yamada Putter has been in the bag pretty much since I've bought it. Will be getting a Xenon for no reason at all sometime this year.